MMORPGs: My Problem...

Zibl

EDIT: If this is in the wrong place then I apologize. MMORPGs aren't considered video games or consoles to me, so I didn't feel this topic belonged there. If I was wrong then just move it for me :) .

One thing that's bothered me for years is the near impossibility it is (for me at least) to find an MMORPG that has recently been opened. I always seem to find the ones that have thousands and thousands and thousands of players. The last MMORPG I found that was "recently released" was actually Runescape. I found & joined in December of 2001, so there weren't tens of thousands/hundreds of thousands of players.

It sounds stupid, but I like finding games that are fairly new (less than a year released; preferably sooner). Why? Because like with Runescape, I got to see so many things. I got to see the legends thrive (Bluerose, Tks, Gearshifter, etc), history be made (first to certain level 99s, etc), and crazy things happen (like the party hat dupe). Since my quitting in 2005 [ please click my signature for more info if you're bored and would like a good read :thumbsup: ] I have yet to find another MMORPG to satisfy me in any way. I blame this loosely on the fact that I can't seem to find one that keeps my interest while also NOT being years old with tens of thousands of members.

So My question is this: is there a website that lists new MMORPGs? I've googled, but have had no such luck. I've found tons of topsite-lists but those aren't really that helpful, nor are any that I have found listed from newer to older. Help me good people of Tip.it!

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

Umm, why wouldn't you consider a video game a video game?

Bahaha, good question. I guess in my mind I've always seen free MMORPGs as just... "hobbies", instead of actually video games. When I think "video game" I think of stuff you have to buy from Walmart. Yeah, I pretty much make no sense, no need to tell me :unsure: .

go play WoW and get addicted

WoW, quite possibly, could be the most annoying thing on the planet to me. I've tried playing it, I've got a friend or 2 who fiddles around with it on occasion, and I hate it. But thanks for the idea :thumbup: .

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

I can empathise with you on this, definitely. I've played quite a few MMOs just as they're released in Open-Betas and even a few Closed-Betas and there's nothing quite like it.

Another great thing about starting a new MMO is getting the feel that everyone is at the same level as you and you've got just as much of a fighting chance as anyone else in the game, something that changes a lot even within the first few months of an MMO being released.

Sites that I've used to commonly keep track of new up-coming MMOs in general are mmorpg.com and onrpg.com. They're not perfect, but with a bit of searching you can find newly-released ones.

Apparently Mechscape will be released this year...

Or at least, the re-make of the project. I think this will be a great chance for lots of people to get a feel for playing an MMO right when it's released.

Another great thing is upon new release the community aspect is a lot closer, more people trying to understand the game's dynamics and discussing it with others. Not to mention that people will always be trying out all kinds of new tactics to progress, not knowing the best way to train immediately always shows the people that have a more natural insight for MMOs.

Moved this to VG&C, although you personally may not consider them Video games, they are.

Try google'ing 'MMO open beta' There is a website I used personally that listen all the open betas a while ago, but I have not used it for a long time. I do agree that during the first few months are the best times for MMO's, as they usually do not attract the idiots and usually people are fairly helpful as they are around the same levels.

Edit: try this http://gamelist.mmosite.com/status/open_beta.shtml

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Another great thing about starting a new MMO is getting the feel that everyone is at the same level as you and you've got just as much of a fighting chance as anyone else in the game, something that changes a lot even within the first few months of an MMO being released.

Yeah, competition is a major aspect in MMO's. When you start a few years after everybody else, you're severely handicapped. Especially in RS when the older players got to pick up rares off the floor, but newer players have to spend millions to acquire them.

Rares were actually the only reason I stayed playing RS as long as I did, I wish more games would have stuff like that. It was actually the reason I stopped playing too, I lent 35 Santa Hats to someone to merchant while I was taking a break from the game, he conveniently got hacked the next day. Early 2005, not sure how much they were worth then.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Guildwars 2, I am not saying it is going to be the wow killer but it is going to have people orgasm when it comes out, try it out in 2011(late 2010 if gaming god exists).

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Aion was released just last year.

Sucks.

Age of Conan? if that didn't turn out to be a POS I didn't follow it

Sucks.

Guildwars 2, I am not saying it is going to be the wow killer but it is going to have people orgasm when it comes out, try it out in 2011(late 2010 if gaming god exists).

This is the only MMO that I can even be considered looking forward to.

I've subscribed to dozens of RPG sites, but none of them are all that satisfying. Mostly cause they're all free and lame. I here about specific games from GameStop nerds, GameInformer, GameSpot.com, TV, publisher adverts...etc

They themed ones are usually advertised pretty well, especially in places like the G4 network.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

All MMO's just aren't that good in practice. In the end, it's nothing more than a grind/lootfest. It's usually a mess.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

All MMO's just aren't that good in practice. In the end, it's nothing more than a grind/lootfest. It's usually a mess.

I agree. To put it simply, the law of entropy applies to MMO's.

That'll be a never ending search and you should just find something you like and stick with it. Grand Fantasia was released in december. Though its just a port of a game to an American server. I believe the makers are in Taiwan.

go to onrpg.com or mmorpg.com -> mmorpgs -> arrange by release date! :thumbsup: . it will even show you the games which haven't even released yet

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

go to onrpg.com or mmorpg.com -> mmorpgs -> arrange by release date! :thumbsup: . it will even show you the games which haven't even released yet

In fact, the link can be found here.

I don't really understand it though, I can't tell which ones are MMORPGs. It looks too confusing. :blink:

And the orange, green, blue and all that... dunno what they stand for.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Well, I'd still consider it a game, although it still could be classed as a "hobbie". :smile:

It can be classified as both. Gaming is a hobby. :)

Actually, it's more than just a hobby. Gaming is an art. ;)

@ kapeg: Your signature is way too big. Delete all images except the one that you created on your own.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention