Tip.it Times 4 April 2010

Mirror

If the case is they bring the game around to more group based activity than solo play, I very well could leave. And I'd love it if you could link me where they said that 50% thing. I want to read it myself.

Back to my main point, I'm tired of hearing about them. Give them updates if they want so abdly, but just shut up about it. It's not bad enough that half the Dev blogs are abotu clans, but we need to have a bunch of Times articles about them too?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Props to Me_Hate_Libs for putting up with the constant flaming. Surprised my massive post didn't draw any fire, perhaps I wasn't an easy enough target...

Most of the flack comes because I actually have an opinion and don'y shy away from people criticizing it. Most of them either insult me or circumvent my points. In instances like this, I'mn ot trying to convince people like Tortilla or Rav, but the other people who are reading it.

I agree so much.

Clans are a very big part of the runescape community.

If jagex's goal is evolve the community more clans should be a big part of it.

Clans have had next to no updates since the game began.

Yes there was the clan chat, but i see that as more of group chat found in many other MMORPG's .

A clan hall? Custom clan crests? Clan leader and achievement Bord?

I could see all of these making many players happier and strengthening the community.

As for the people who are against clan updates, don't use it and it wont hurt you.

HoleInFate

And BTW great article icon_thumbs.gificon_thumbs.gificon_thumbs.gif

holeinfate.png

Sig courtesy of sxssniffe(so i can remember to go to make a new one :-) )

thecoolistwaytolevel.jpg

If Jagex ever made a perfect update there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.

Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Brian W. Kernighan

Props to Me_Hate_Libs for putting up with the constant flaming. Surprised my massive post didn't draw any fire, perhaps I wasn't an easy enough target...

Most of the flack comes because I actually have an opinion and don'y shy away from people criticizing it. Most of them either insult me or circumvent my points. In instances like this, I'mn ot trying to convince people like Tortilla or Rav, but the other people who are reading it.

Actually, I'm replying to MHL's post and not waheera1's because I'm looking for the reason for MHL's objection. Well, it turns out to be just her 'opinion' and it comes with quite a few assumptions. Waheera1 on the other hand, is replying to the wrong article. Your post would have been more relevant to "Specialization in the Past, Specialization for the Future" by tortillachp on march 21st, which specifically promotes group activities in the game, such as un-soloable boss, multiplayer quest.....

Two different articles on two different topics getting the same kind of response? You should re-read the articles, even if you're just posting your opinion.

Objection to the March 21st article can stem from your reluctance to participate in group activity. That is your opinion and I respect that.

Objection to this article can only stem from narrow-mindness and selfishness. You're in short, saying that in-game features like clan chat, Faruq's game shop and suggested feature such as DKP, clan hall, clan label should not be added in the first place, even though they are definitely not detrimental to the game, and does not affect your gameplay since they are not actual game content but rather, infrastructure supporting another group of players.

So, what are you trying to convince people about, MHL?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Mostly I'm trying to convince people that I'm not some raving looney as you're trying to make me appear to me.

Selfishness? You're damn right. I'm an objectivist so I believe in true and rational selfishness. I'm interested in getting the most out of the game as I can. The people who want these clan updates are just as selfish as they want updates to maximise their playing experience.

Another point I want made is that moving more towards a bigger amount of group/clan activites is a mistake. That turns Runescape into what most other MMOs are and I think that other MMOs do it better. I think that *that* would be detrimental to Runescape in the long run.

Obviously you disagree so feel free to not reply to my post.

I think what MHL is trying to say that RS's clan function is worse than other traditonal MMORPGs, instead of focusing on its weakness, it should focus on its strength, whatever that maybe.

However, I am here to say that RS's clan world is probably one of the most essential element for many players and even if it is behind other MMORPGs(Which is her opinion, one which I disagree with), it should be focused more on than it is now. I believe the clan function has great potential which is yet undeveloped, hundreds and perhaps thousands of players go out each day in the wilderness, many more group together to boss hunt/chat/skill/etc etc. The fact is RS is a MMORPG, while it should have solo contents, the game should have more group orientated functions as MMOs are suppose to be enjoyed by a group of people. Why else would you play an online game without interaction?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I think what MHL is trying to say that RS's clan function is worse than other traditonal MMORPGs, instead of focusing on its weakness, it should focus on its strength, whatever that maybe.

However, I am here to say that RS's clan world is probably one of the most essential element for many players and even if it is behind other MMORPGs(Which is her opinion, one which I disagree with), it should be focused more on than it is now. I believe the clan function has great potential which is yet undeveloped, hundreds and perhaps thousands of players go out each day in the wilderness, many more group together to boss hunt/chat/skill/etc etc. The fact is RS is a MMORPG, while it should have solo contents, the game should have more group orientated functions as MMOs are suppose to be enjoyed by a group of people. Why else would you play an online game without interaction?

You can have interaction with people without necessarily engaging in group oritented activity.

You can have interaction with people without necessarily engaging in group oritented activity.

Of course, but group activities inspire more interaction. Look here is the thing, you obviously dislike group related things, which is fine, I respect your opinion and such so lets not argue over it alright?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I've never considered the strength of RuneScape as one that appeals greatly to individualised players. It's true strength should be its appeal to multiple kinds of players, be it skillers who enjoy peaceful training, combat-oriented ones who are almost always camping at a boss area, PKers and their bloodthirsty lust, questers, minigamers, or pretty much any niche you can name. The fact that RuneScape rotates its update for different groups of players may not appeal to every single player for each update, but always result in everyone having something to do in the game.

Clans deserve some form of update to help their in-game establishment as much as any other player who wants a new quest or a new boss monster, and what could be a better time than now? You have a few years worth of game content already added to entertain the majority of the players, and clans have proven themselves to be an undying breed in RuneScape. When Jagex held the inter-clan competition, I thought it was a pretty good attempt, but silly at the same to declare a clan the winner without some form of achievement to show in-game. Suggestions by the article would solve the problem, such as a clan hall to display in-game trophies, and more customisable clan ranking system.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I've never considered the strength of RuneScape as one that appeals greatly to individualised players. It's true strength should be its appeal to multiple kinds of players, be it skillers who enjoy peaceful training, combat-oriented ones who are almost always camping at a boss area, PKers and their bloodthirsty lust, questers, minigamers, or pretty much any niche you can name. The fact that RuneScape rotates its update for different groups of players may not appeal to every single player for each update, but always result in everyone having something to do in the game.

Clans deserve some form of update to help their in-game establishment as much as any other player who wants a new quest or a new boss monster, and what could be a better time than now? You have a few years worth of game content already added to entertain the majority of the players, and clans have proven themselves to be an undying breed in RuneScape. When Jagex held the inter-clan competition, I thought it was a pretty good attempt, but silly at the same to declare a clan the winner without some form of achievement to show in-game. Suggestions by the article would solve the problem, such as a clan hall to display in-game trophies, and more customisable clan ranking system.

Now I feel we are beginning to reach a more acceptable understanding. :-)

I agree that the winning clan from the Jagex Cup should have been awarded some kind of unique reward for all participants, as long as it didn't hand them an unfair advantage for future competitions or boss hunts etc. I like the idea that a clan-friendly update should come soon, it is the nature of that update which I am slightly more wary of. I would not wish to see the vast solo player base disadvantaged just because I and a substantial number of other clan members happen to be part of a clan. That would seem counterproductive as a means to draw the community together, as it would simply exacerbate the divided loyalties of clan+solo players.

I'd be interested to know exactly how a clan hall would work? If the suggestions are good enough you never know who might see them and take note. I'd certainly be willing to post SENSIBLE suggestions around some of the private forums I'm on to get them recommended on HLF etc. By sensible I am referring to suggestions that would enhance the clan experience rather than just giving clan members a nice one-up against solo players.

Here's mine, after combining a few ideas from the article and forum. Then again, some of these may or may not be agreeable with actual clan owners.

-A separate clan member list which may be in the form of an alternative tab to the friend list, much like how the quest and achievement diary used to exist on the same tab. The tab appears if you accept a clan invitation from others, and disappears if you leave the clan. Name + ranking to be shown. Checkbox option to personally sort by name or rank, and the same ability to private message them.

On that same tab, three buttons:

-An 'invite' button on the same tab where you type the username of the player to be invited, and he/she will receive the invitation when online to either accept or reject the offer. It can be in the form of the clickable message you get when someone request assistance from you, or a box similar to the group/teleother teleport, but MUCH smaller and located at one corner of the screen.

-A 'leave clan' button that has a confirmation message when you click it.

-A clan setup button which anyone can click to view the settings, but only the leader can edit. Editable option should include to what level ranking can members invite others, access the clan base/hall, withdraw from the clan bank, edit features in the clan base etc.

A 'block clan invitation' option under the game option tab.

A customisable clan logo, such as the character creating system. All logos will probably be square shaped, but the game can offer a wide colour and pattern for each section, such as main symbol, corner symbol, background, inner/outer/top/bottom/left right border.

A better ranking system that is customisable by the leader (within character limit). The game offers you 6-level system, and the leader may purchase up to a 10-level system at increasing GP cost.

Clan Hall

-A clan chest. You can deposit a limited amount of money or item worth within a limited timeframe. The right to withdraw is set by clan leader. You can a confirmation message before depositing anything inside.

-A display cabinet hotspot where you click to see the achievements/trophies earned by the clan. For example, whenever Jagex organise some form of inter-clan competition, they probably record the leader of the clan along with the clan name on a list. For wining/participation in the event, the accounts of the leaders and members can then be twitched by programmers such that they can obtain an in-game cosmetic item from an NPC (like holiday items) to be added to the cabinet. There should be a small text below the item to list the details such as "Jagex Cup 2009, Combat Category, 2nd Runner Up"

- A notice board that functions like the notes tab, except that it is visible to anyone clicking on it. The right to edit it can be set by leader.

-Features of POH, such as combat rings, games room, dungeons, beer barrels. Building these directly remove the cost needed from the clan chest.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I would like to ask if everyone would be alright if i created a RS forum post and quote some of you fantastic posts. icon_e_wink.gif

holeinfate.png

thecoolistwaytolevel.jpg

If Jagex ever made a perfect update there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Brian W. Kernighan

I would like to ask if everyone would be alright if i created a RS forum post and quote some of you fantastic posts. icon_e_wink.gif

As long as you don't mind the topic being bogged down by other topics with "gf," "inb4lock," and "fail" posts.

Runescape has been around for almost a decade, but for most of the game's history there's been virtually no in-game support for clans. Clans have always been an integral part of the MMO experience, allowing players to work towards common goals. Clans often provide a strong social structure within the game, giving players a more intimate group of friends within the thousands of anonymous faces that populate the game.

I agree with this point of view is "The Importance of Clans"

As long as you don't mind the topic being bogged down by other topics with "gf," "inb4lock," and "fail" posts.

why not? :D If you can stand the RSOF, please do represent more "fan-forum"-style quality of posts

I posted a RSOF Thread here

So go visit it and give it some support.

holeinfate.png

thecoolistwaytolevel.jpg

Brian W. Kernighan

I couldn't agree more with this article and I am so disappointed I didn't read it sooner. Damn finals.

The biggest issue I have with clans and Runescape is that there is no way to bridge the gulf between offsite/fansite and Runescape. It's a good way to get a mute or a ban by mentioning your forums. And it's damn near impossible to keep a proper recruitment topic going on the RSOF--it just has too much activity for such a short cutoff. (Let's not even get into how their forums are rather weak compared to even some of the most simple and free forum packages out there like, hell, Invisionfree). Not to mention the fact that a lot of information within clans need to be kept private to prevent the more ill-minded players from spoiling your trip/war/game/event.

I don't necessarily agree with some of these suggestions as there's just too many security issues and have been tried in round-about fashions in the past--like dummy accounts being used as a bank back in free trading days, clan halls such as meetings held in the second floor of the old Mansion in Falador. But the premise that there is a dreadful lack of support for ALL types of clans is just something you can't avoid.

You can hate clans all you want, you can think it's part of the 'group think' mentality (and be wrong, might I add, but that's beside the point), but when you max out your favorite skill or you get bored of your favorite minigame and you have nothing else to do, clans are always there to create new and fun experiences out of the same old content you've been stuck with for the past whatever years you've been playing.

hzvjpwS.gif

i am of mixed feelings about the clan topic.

i do belong to a clan, one that just had its 4th anniversary. that is quite a long time for a lot of clans in runescape. i admit, we are not as regemented as many clans are, we tend to be a bit more of a social club. so, we do not require competition to have fun nor do we require rewards for socializing.

we try to help each other out, but even when we had a "clan bank" there really wasnt much more in it than we can share between ourselves now. i also remember emezzlement stories from other clans and their banks, how would something like that be overcome?

the current leader of my group seems thinks jagex is working on improvements to clans. it just seems to be pushed back because other things seem to be deemed more important. maybe one day.

i will say, in my opinion only, i see many places runescape needs improvements that would help the whole community and i would like to see thse improvements long before clan improvements. one would be their forums, that is an embaressment to jagex, and improvements in that alone would go a long way in helping clans as well as the whole community.

i would also rather see options to what is shown when you run the cursor over a charecter that could either show your combat level, total levels, certain skill level (ex. fishing lvl 87) or even your clan affiliation. as you see, it would be something the whole community would be able to use.

anyway, i do like my clan, but i would still play if i didnt belong to one, to assume one way or the other about how important clans are to runescape, is silly. after all, millions of players, thousands of clans? the math just doesnt add up.

No matter where you go, there you are.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p-1.jpg

I agree that updates to clans are long overdue, clan capes benefitted pvp and bounty more than real monster hunting clans or any other high level clan. The clan chat system is good. We need more LS and CS worlds unfortunately and because jagex has made it their best effort to erase real world traders from their game they've made it very hard to add a clan bank or something of the sort. You had some good suggestions though Mirror and I think that Jagex could create something similiar.

Let your yellow mellow.

Wow, VR seems like kids who've got their candies and won't share with them AND will be arses about having 'em. And "D2master12: Be careful how you respond to this topic or we'll be coming for your clan next.", that's just sad lol.

Profins.png

specty.png