Don't you think it's kinda lame and arrogant to have Private Chat set to 'Friends'?

tedbundty

No, I do not think it is lame and arrogant to have Private Chat set to Friends..

I do this myself because I like actually knowing who is PMing me, if I've had a decent conversation with someone, and they ask to add me, I've got no problems with that.

However, tell me why I should have to deal with someone who has randomly added me that I've never spoken to. Plus..I like to argue a lot, and the people I do it with often get annoyed, wouldn't put it past people to do it just to insult me/whatever.

It might not be someone "who has randomly added" you. In most cases, for me at least, it's just an old friend that I've deleted to clear up some space for my Friends list.

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not be someone "who has randomly added" you. In most cases, for me at least, it's just an old friend that I've deleted to clear up some space for my Friends list.

That's the actual reason mine is ON these days. I have had several old friends make their comebacks, including 2 more last night. Although sometimes when I get home from work I don't feel like talking so I turn it right off. It is usually only on Friends when my list is full anymore.

I rarely delete people, and I usually weigh up whether there is a reasonable chance of them coming back or not.

I've had people randomly add me for little to no reason at all, I once had someone add me because of similarities in our names (before display names). Plus I'd wager that anyone I know that comes back to the game would enter my CC and hopefully take the hint from the name of it, if they wished to get in contact with me that much.

Besides, the whole "people putting petty insults/spam" to me is a lot worse of a threat than not being in contact with someone from years ago. I've had people attack me ingame because they lost in an argument with me or they just dislike the fact I speak in (aside from a few spelling errors) perfect English.

When I remove someone, it's because I consider myself to no longer know who they are.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I rarely delete people, and I usually weigh up whether there is a reasonable chance of them coming back or not.

When I remove someone, it's because I consider myself to no longer know who they are.

That may be all well and good for you but most people don't have enough room on their Friend's List to be so discretionary. Plus, it could work vice versa e.g. If an old friend (with P Chat set to FRIENDS) deletes you for whatever reason you won't be able to PM him and you may think he stopped playing.

I've had people randomly add me for little to no reason at all, I once had someone add me because of similarities in our names (before display names). Plus I'd wager that anyone I know that comes back to the game would enter my CC and hopefully take the hint from the name of it, if they wished to get in contact with me that much

Sure, if you have a popular CC which that particular friend goes too, but, again, that may not be the case for most people.

Besides, the whole "people putting petty insults/spam" to me is a lot worse of a threat than not being in contact with someone from years ago. I've had people attack me ingame because they lost in an argument with me or they just dislike the fact I speak in (aside from a few spelling errors) perfect English.

A threat? I don't think getting a spam PM from someone on Runescape can really be considered a threat - I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Especially because, in the rare occasion that it happens, you can quickly and easily ignore that person.

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

i only have four names on my friendlist and 2 of them are my own alts, one is an irl friend

i dont play rs to 'get to know people' - i spend all day getting to know people then scape for a few minutes to unwind

if you think im lame and arrogant then i guess il just have to live with that :roll:

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

That may be all well and good for you but most people don't have enough room on their Friend's List to be so discretionary. Plus, it could work vice versa e.g. If an old friend (with P Chat set to FRIENDS) deletes you for whatever reason you won't be able to PM him and you may think he stopped playing. Then clearly we stopped being friends the moment the person deleted me, besides, if you delete someone it's because you don't expect to talk to them again.

I've had people randomly add me for little to no reason at all, I once had someone add me because of similarities in our names (before display names). Plus I'd wager that anyone I know that comes back to the game would enter my CC and hopefully take the hint from the name of it, if they wished to get in contact with me that much

Sure, if you have a popular CC which that particular friend goes too, but, again, that may not be the case for most people.If you're looking to get into contact with someone who isn't online, or if you want to see if they still have you added, where do you go? Their CC.

A threat? I don't think getting a spam PM from someone on Runescape can really be considered a threat - I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Especially because, in the rare occasion that it happens, you can quickly and easily ignore that person. I wasn't using threat in that sense, and really, I prefer not to use my ignore list because there is no need for me to. And to add more to the whole point about friends who have quit, they know there's a chance people won't remember who they are when they leave, plus if they really wanted to stay in contact with people, they'd find a way.

Responses are in bold.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

That may be all well and good for you but most people don't have enough room on their Friend's List to be so discretionary. Plus, it could work vice versa e.g. If an old friend (with P Chat set to FRIENDS) deletes you for whatever reason you won't be able to PM him and you may think he stopped playing.

- Then clearly we stopped being friends the moment the person deleted me, besides, if you delete someone it's because you don't expect to talk to them again.

Well if you have friends set to 'on' then that doesn't have to be the case. When I delete people I almost always do it with the idea that if they ever get on again or want to PM me again I'll re-add them. So it really can be seen as a benefit in this case to have it set to 'on'.

Sure, if you have a popular CC which that particular friend goes too, but, again, that may not be the case for most people.

If you're looking to get into contact with someone who isn't online, or if you want to see if they still have you added, where do you go? Their CC.

A lot of people don't have their CCs set up or don't go in them and there's a good chance they won't be in there the exact time when you join to check. Plus, when you have lots of other friends to talk to and are busy with Runescape, chances are you won't even think to do so or will assume the person has just not been on much lately.

A threat? I don't think getting a spam PM from someone on Runescape can really be considered a threat - I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Especially because, in the rare occasion that it happens, you can quickly and easily ignore that person.

I wasn't using threat in that sense, and really, I prefer not to use my ignore list because there is no need for me to. And to add more to the whole point about friends who have quit, they know there's a chance people won't remember who they are when they leave, plus if they really wanted to stay in contact with people, they'd find a way.

Okay, well if you admit it's not really a threat and that there are rarely people you need to ignore, then why leave P Chat set to 'friends' anyway? Again, you could avoid the whole problem and inconvenience concerning friends who have quit and removing from friend's list if you simply set your P Chat to 'on'. So what's your real reason for not doing so?'

My old stuff is in Italics, yours is in normal and my new stuff is in bold.

Guest jrhairychest

I can't really see why its 'lame and arrogant' to set private chat to friends. After all you pick and choose your friends in RL so why not in a game?

I can't have a little peace and quiet without being arrogant?

This.

Now granted more then likely if your friend 'on' then you might get that one person the annoys the hell out of you if this is the case just ignore them. I keep my private on friends just for that reason...friends. Most people you meet on runescape will have something aganist you. Rather it be you have more 99's and they hate you for it more money ect...and all you catch from then is crap.

Just my thoughts

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

The last time I had private on I had some random guy PM me saying he knew where I lived and was going to kill me. :blink: Of course, that isn't a regular occurrence, but I do have people adding me to ask to borrow things if they've seen me in the GE and it gets annoying. If anyone wants to add me, I'm perfectly happy to add them too if they ask. Otherwise, my chat is always set to private.

It's not that bad to want some peace and quiet.

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

I don't give out my phone number to random strangers, or pick up phone calls from people I don't know -- unless I feel like it. Why should this be any different?

Pretty much that quote has summed up the reason why your problem with people having private off is (sorry for putting it this way) stupid. The word 'Private' should have explained this to you a long time ago to be honest.

kayumera.png

kayumera.png

I always leave my Private chat to "On".

Sure, you have the risk of geting those spammers and noobs and such.

But think about it. How often do you see any of those people? I almost NEVER have people add and talk to me, and the occasional ones that do really aren't that "noob". Actually, I had random people that I don't know add me, because they have read my Tip.It blog. Since I'm a nice person and such, I add them to my friend's list, and talk to them from time to time. They were quite friendly too, by the way. (Too bad I couldn't get them to sign up for TIF, lol. :( )

So really, think about the differences if you had Private "On" and "Friends". Seems negligible to me.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

But think about it. How often do you see any of those people? I almost NEVER have people add and talk to me, and the occasional ones that do really aren't that "noob". Actually, I had random people that I don't know add me, because they have read my Tip.It blog. Since I'm a nice person and such, I add them to my friend's list, and talk to them from time to time. They were quite friendly too, by the way. (Too bad I couldn't get them to sign up for TIF, lol. :( )

So really, think about the differences if you had Private "On" and "Friends". Seems negligible to me.

You have the benefit of being both low leveled and F2P.

If you are a 138 in members' worlds, you would notice the difference. In F2P, not every other PM is "i barrow ur gs pls".

I keep mine on friends mainly because I'm afraid that someone from real life will log in, see me logged on, then proceed to die of laughter at my expense. In my worst nightmares, the most popular kid in school would log onto his level 23 account from 4 years ago and see someone named Meredith logged on. After some tracing, said account will be placed to my name, humiliating me, and making me lose 300 Facebook friends. Also, I do not wish to talk to the friends I made in 2006 or 2007. The last time I spoke to one, it was not at all how you would imagine. We were not all of a sudden best friends again. Apparently I had grown up a little bit over the course of the years, but he still maintained his 9 year old attitude, and I could not stand to be around him. I do not want that to be repeated. While that may sound like I'm a bit arrogant, I believe that I am not so simply for the reason that I do not want to risk talking to someone who still talks like Justin Bieber again.

You have the benefit of being both low leveled and F2P.

If you are a 138 in members' worlds, you would notice the difference. In F2P, not every other PM is "i barrow ur gs pls".

At 110+ in F2P people want to borrow everything I own, if not have it. But since I stopped playing so much I haven't had the requests at all.

I have mine to friends/off because if I have it set to "on" and someone from a clan adds me, they can see every world me, and possibly my clan go to.

And no I don't really consider it arrogant that you would only want to talk to your current friends.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything

Mine's always on because I see no reason to turn it to friends. If someone I don't want mesaging me adds me I ignore them. If not I chat. I haven't had some random person PM me in a long time anyway.

Besides, you never know if an old friend will message you. I took a three year break from 2005 and over the span of a month I'd met hoards of my old friends through my private chat being on. The only excuse for having it set to friends all the time is being famous or being a mod. It's very antisocial.[/colo

tifovsigev3.jpg

At 110+ in F2P people want to borrow everything I own, if not have it. But since I stopped playing so much I haven't had the requests at all.

I call BS - what are they going to borrow, your rune scimitar?

Mine's always on because I see no reason to turn it to friends. If someone I don't want mesaging me adds me I ignore them. If not I chat. I haven't had some random person PM me in a long time anyway.

Besides, you never know if an old friend will message you. I took a three year break from 2005 and over the span of a month I'd met hoards of my old friends through my private chat being on. The only excuse for having it set to friends all the time is being famous or being a mod. It's very antisocial.

I'd say it's quite arrogant of YOU to suggest that it's your business how others chat in this game. So what if I want to be antisocial? That's just talking out of both sides of your mouth when you praise DIYers and criticize people with their chat off.

Here's my excuse - it's a game, dammit, and it's not my job to talk to you.

Yes, actually. F2Pers (particularly the low-leveled/poor ones) always go like "lending rune scim 20k", "borrowing santa 40k" and so on.

W1 GE and Varrock West contains a lot of those people.

And note: These stuff I said are just examples. They don't necessarily just trade those items alone.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Actually, in my case it would be longsword, but yeah. And any rares you may have, anything they see that they want and don't have, regardless of whether it is possible or not.

And any rares you may have, anything they see that they want and don't have, regardless of whether it is possible or not.

That reminds me...

I logged on my alt account on W1, while wearing my full Saradomin set. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in the whole of RS.

"cn i borrow ur full sara plz"

"im poor, gimme 5k"

"how did u get tat!!!"

-_-

EDIT: This seems to be only on Public chat, though. No one seemed to contact me via Private, even when On.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Actually, in my case it would be longsword, but yeah. And any rares you may have, anything they see that they want and don't have, regardless of whether it is possible or not.

I'm pretty sure you've also been harassed verbally too, when you let your private chat be "on". They're always idiots who derive some ridiculous form of enjoyment from verbally attacking people, and if you know you're the explosive type, then why not just take preventive measures to make sure you don't get your mood spoiled by some idiot halfway across the world?

Mine used to be set to friends as I was F2P for a long time and I would get random PMs from people I didn't know or had no memory of talking to.

I now leave it on most of the time, which isn't much of a bother to me since I don't get many random PMs, and the most communication I do is through clanchat.

450x200 is not a big enough space in which to fit anything more meaningful than a rubber duck wielding a stick.