Don't you think it's kinda lame and arrogant to have Private Chat set to 'Friends'?

tedbundty

I think the moral of the story is that if you feel threatened by a person sitting at a computer miles away from you, sending you text on a java game that is being projected onto your little stupid plastic monitor....

Maybe you have bigger problems.

Seriously. If some unwanted text on your screen upsets you guys so much that you have to block fellow gamers out of your direct-messaging, I really can't imagine what you little brats would be like to talk to in the real world.

Really? Its too annoying to have people MESSAGE YOU on a GAME?

Honestly.

I can't wait till you guys have some real troubles in your life so that you can realize what an idiot you are for caring about this type of thing.

"I need my privacy in this video game!"

Go to hell.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myweponsg00d, thank you for so eloquently reminding me why I prefer not to leave my private messaging set to public. You may like random strangers to accost you in the street, I do not, nor do I like them doing so in video games. That's my decision, my choice and, actually, none of your business.

devorguilla.png

My private chat is set on "ON". Reason: nobody bothers me.

This for most of the time. Although sometimes when training I might set it to friends or set it to off.

I don't think it's arrogant as I can imagine getting bothered all the time might get annoying.

Preau.png

Okay, I take my earlier statement back. Today, merchant clans started bombarding me with invites.

I've started getting those recently. :P

I keep mine on friends because of the name changing system (I remove people I don't recognise but they may want to talk to me), I have more people who talk to me who can fit on my list, dungeoneering (team mates who want to rejoin, they'd probably type in my username as it's easy to remember) and if anyone wants to talk to me and I teleport just as they ask something so I can PM them.

imagangster.png

First off, i only have about 3 other people on my friend's list aside from my other accounts(So i don't forget their username, as i have a lot of them).

Of these 3 people on my friend's list, one i met while doing BA on my zerker. He was very fun to talk to, but for some reason just stopped signing on for months. He did sign on for about a day, but then signed back off and hasn't signed on again to this day.

The other is the person who showed me RS. Though she quit about 2 years ago, and i haven't talked to her in real life for a while because she moved. Although i leave her their for honor.

The last one on my friend's list is the only one i really talk to. My IRL friend who i brought to RS. And he can only really play when he comes out to my house due to the fact that he doesn't have internet. So it's not like we really need to PM each other.

As you can tell by this, I'm not incredibly social. Most people that i do end up adding, i don't talk to often and just end up removing them. Only people i really talk to are people in the hyt clan chat.

The reason i have private set to off is because i did get spammed on a regular basses when i had it on.

"Lend me Bcp?"

"Can i barrow tassets?"

"Barrow me claws?"

"Sell Dfs? I have good offer."

Once i turned my private to friends though, this died down a lot. I think it's just the fact that people don't want to follow me then ask me in public. For the sake of saving themselves from being called a noob by bystanders(I have seen it happen).

In closing, if someone wants me to add them, all they have to do is ask. I'll gladly add them.

Though sometimes i did add people on my zerker. And the next day they kept prodding at me to lend them claws. Thus i just remove them.

So basically, the ability to eliminate that annoyance is there. So i take it.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Myweponsg00d, thank you for so eloquently reminding me why I prefer not to leave my private messaging set to public. You may like random strangers to accost you in the street, I do not, nor do I like them doing so in video games. That's my decision, my choice and, actually, none of your business.

So basically you're a xenophobe. People should probably deal with this problem by seeing a psychiatrist, not the chat option on runescape.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

So basically you're a xenophobe. People should probably deal with this problem by seeing a psychiatrist, not the chat option on runescape.

You should probably look up what "xenophobe" actually means before you start accusing people of being one, much less recommending psychiatrists. :rolleyes:

Wanting to be left alone is not a mental disorder. The fact that you're telling people to "go to hell" simply for having a different viewpoint on this issue suggests it is not nurserymaid who needs professional help.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

You should probably look up what "xenophobe" actually means before you start accusing people of being one, much less recommending psychiatrists. :rolleyes:

Wanting to be left alone is not a mental disorder. The fact that you're telling people to "go to hell" simply for having a different viewpoint on this issue suggests it is not nurserymaid who needs professional help.

Xenophobia- fear of strangers

Wanting to be left alone IS a mental disorder. Things like depression, anxiety, phobias, all cause this. I think it is incredibly arrogant and rude to ignore your fellow man, and you aren't contributing anything to a peaceful society by not even giving people a chance.

There is no reason to put your private chat on "Friends" except for your own concerns.

Selfish.

Myweponsgood.gif

Xenophobia- fear of strangers

The word is not used in the way you are using it. It is generally used to mean fear of foreigners, not in reference to those who want privacy.

Wanting to be left alone IS a mental disorder.

[cabbage].

Some people are extroverted. Some are introverted. Neither are mental disorders.

I think it is incredibly arrogant and rude to ignore your fellow man

I think it is incredibly arrogant and rude to think that you have the right to place demands on my time.

And selfish.

Guess what -- you don't have any such right.

I give back plenty to the community. I do it on my terms, not yours. And if I don't want to be bothered at any given time for whatever reason, that's my choice.

nurserymaid is right -- people like you are why I often turn my chat off. Private AND public.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The word is not used in the way you are using it. It is generally used to mean fear of foreigners, not in reference to those who want privacy.

Privacy is what your house is for. Also if you really wanted PRIVACY you would have private chat OFF.

LIMITING your interaction to just being between yourself and the people you are comfortable with is cutting out strangers.

Google "fear of strangers" and see what word comes up.

Myweponsgood.gif

Private Chat is changed based on situation.

For a long time during the release of PvP worlds, since I had gotten a lot of brawling gloves and dfh/dfs drops, I was one of the more "well-known" pkers. There were points in time where I couldn't put private on without getting so many people pm'ing me that I couldn't keep up. Now it's kinda died down, especially since my name got stolen (though I've gotten it back now).

I will say though, the person that took my name was getting very annoyed with the constant questions they would get from random people thinking it was me. People would ask how they should use brawling gloves and stuff.

Nowadays, when I'm pking I'll usually have my chat set to friends. Sometimes people like to go on hunting sprees and try to hunt me down if I annoy them or something. Throwing private chat on friends makes it a lot easier to avoid that.

However, when I get a target, I will throw my private chat on to see if they message me. If they're being annoying, I will remove them and delete them off the friends list. I'm sure everyone knows about the targ stuff nowadays but I won't go into it. For those that do know, they'll know why I do so.

When doing Dungeoneering, I keep Private Chat on for obvious reasons. If someone DC's and needs to rejoin, and the only name they can remember is mine and I don't have them added, they can still rejoin. My friends list is pretty full, so I can't really add everyone that I dung with.

In GWD, I'll keep private chat to Friends, or even Off. Usually I'm soloing, at most trioing, in GW. It's not very easy to help people out when you're killing a boss, lol. Especially if you have to add them to talk to them.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

I don't have a fear of strangers. I just happen to find the majority of the people on RS to be tiresome morons, and I don't feel the need to have them PM me except when I am in the right mood to deal with what happens when I turn my chat on.

You try googling "introversion" and educate yourself. Here's a summary:

The trait of extraversion-introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extraverts (also spelled extroverts[1]) tend to be gregarious, assertive, and interested in seeking out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, tend to be more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. They are not necessarily loners but they tend to have smaller circles of friends and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts. Introverts are less likely to seek stimulation from others because their own thoughts and imagination are stimulating enough. A common misconception is that all introverts suffer from social anxiety or shyness. Introversion does not describe social discomfort but rather social preference. An introvert may not be shy at all but may merely prefer non social or less social activities.

Read the bolded part. Several times if necessary.

Free clue: a lot of introverts play games like RuneScape for a reason.

signew2.png

I don't have a fear of strangers. I just happen to find the majority of the people on RS to be tiresome morons, and I don't feel the need to have them PM me except when I am in the right mood to deal with what happens when I turn my chat on.

You try googling "introversion" and educate yourself. Here's a summary:

The trait of extraversion-introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extraverts (also spelled extroverts[1]) tend to be gregarious, assertive, and interested in seeking out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, tend to be more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. They are not necessarily loners but they tend to have smaller circles of friends and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts. Introverts are less likely to seek stimulation from others because their own thoughts and imagination are stimulating enough. A common misconception is that all introverts suffer from social anxiety or shyness. Introversion does not describe social discomfort but rather social preference. An introvert may not be shy at all but may merely prefer non social or less social activities.

Read the bolded part. Several times if necessary.

Free clue: a lot of introverts play games like RuneScape for a reason.

Sure. Your social preference really explains why you are so afraid of confrontation that you have to block messages on a computer screen.

You are blocking tiresome morons from PMing you, but you are also blocking nice friendly people from PMing you. I'd rather just skip reading lines from "morons" or put them on my ignore list.

Your choice of interaction on "your own time" is rude, and selfish. Interaction with people one-on-one is a two way street. If you want to interact with people on YOUR time, it is rude to not accept the interaction of others on THEIR time. Putting your desires over the desires of others is selfish.

Myweponsgood.gif

Sure. Your social preference really explains why you are so afraid of confrontation that you have to block messages on a computer screen.

You seem to have a disturbing inability to differentiate between "fear" and "dislike".

I am not afraid of being PMed. I just sometimes don't like being PMed.

Do you really not get the difference?

You are blocking tiresome morons from PMing you, but you are also blocking nice friendly people from PMing you. I'd rather just skip reading lines from "morons" or put them on my ignore list.

Well, that's your choice. And good on ya for it.

As I said already, I sometimes put my private on "all". And sometimes I don't. It is based on how *I* want to communicate, because it is my chat and my decision how to use it.

Your choice of interaction on "your own time" is rude, and selfish.

And what do you expect me to do with this information? Do you really think I care if a rude and selfish person considers me rude and selfish simply for wanting to be left alone?

Goodness, that makes little sense.

The more you bluster and froth at the mouth about this, the more you confirm in the minds of those who prefer being left alone that they made the right decision.

Putting your desires over the desires of others is selfish.

Then look in the mirror, bub, because that's what you are doing. Except that you have no reasonable basis for deciding how I communicate, whereas, I do.

signew2.png

Putting your desires over the desires of others is selfish.

Then look in the mirror, bub, because that's what you are doing. Except that you have no reasonable basis for deciding how I communicate, whereas, I do.

I'm not doing anything. I'm talking about how much I dislike what you do, and you are getting distressed about it.

Let me know when I come to your house and click your PM button onto Public.

I am not afraid of being PMed. I just sometimes don't like being PMed.

If you don't want to be PM'ed, turn private Off. If you want to be PM'ed turn it On.

This argument doesn't extend to the Friends option.

The more you bluster and froth at the mouth about this, the more you confirm in the minds of those who prefer being left alone that they made the right decision.

So you admit that text on a monitor upsets you so much that you just need to block it.

Myweponsgood.gif

- What do you have you're private chat set to and why?

Set to Friends when Training/PKing.

Set to On when Bored/Money making/Questing/NPC Boss/Training.

Rarely played with private off.

- When (if ever) you have Private Chat set to 'on' about how often do you get spammed by other players? (e.g. once a day, twice a day once a week, etc...)

Rarely in P2P World. If I'm F2P and no Membership, I get PM a few times, it depends on what I'm doing in F2P.

I always checked people who PM me, their Stats and Combat Level. :lol:

- In what ways do you agree/disagree with what I'm saying. Explain.

I get what you're saying, I don't disagree.

Lol at too many Quotes.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

I'm not doing anything. I'm talking about how much I dislike what you do, and you are getting distressed about it.

I'm not distressed at all, actually. I have been and will continue to do what I want. Your opinions on it are more amusing than distressing.

If you don't want to be PM'ed, turn private Off. If you want to be PM'ed turn it On.

I like being PMed by friends. It's random people I sometimes don't want to be PMed by.

People like, well, you.

signew2.png

I've been a high level f2p player for quite some time now, and I never put, or had the desire to put private on friends/off. I've pked a lot and even then people barely asked questions. And even when people ask (nooby) questions, why not answer them? Are you "too good" or "too high leveled" to answer a question? It even annoys me when I want to ask other people a question through pm, and they just remain offline because they have it on friends/private.

I'm not distressed at all, actually. I have been and will continue to do what I want. Your opinions on it are more amusing than distressing.

I like being PMed by friends. It's random people I sometimes don't want to be PMed by.

People like, well, you.

Just answer me one last question. How do you make new friends if you only chat with people you are already friends with?

Okay one other question. Why don't you want people PMing you? What, specifically, is so bothersome about their PM that forces you to block out everyone except your friends? Too difficult to look away from the text? Too time consuming to type out an answer to a question?

Myweponsgood.gif

I've been a high level f2p player for quite some time now, and I never put, or had the desire to put private on friends/off. I've pked a lot and even then people barely asked questions. And even when people ask (nooby) questions, why not answer them? Are you "too good" or "too high leveled" to answer a question? It even annoys me when I want to ask other people a question through pm, and they just remain offline because they have it on friends/private.

No. I am not "to good or too high leveled." Sometimes I'm in a bad mood and don't want to throw that onto someone when I get the most common question(s) I get. Sometimes I just don't want to talk.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

What's with some of you comparing this to real life? It's nowhere near the same. :mellow:

And as for the being "too good" to answer questions - I'm perfectly happy to help out friends. What I don't like is when people - anyone at all, actually - PM me expecting full quest walkthroughs, then whining when I tell them to look up a guide because I can't remember everything. Oddly enough, this really only happens with people not on my friends list. Again, I am perfectly happy to add people if I get along with them and if they ask me, but otherwise, my chat is staying on friends.

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

Mine is set to friends, so that old 'friends' don't pm me. Some are annoying and others I don't remember. If I have the person added, I still want to talk to them. Your arguement is pretty one-sided.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

you always pay the opportunity cost, of potentially meeting someone new that you do like talking to.

that's a fairly high price to pay considering it costs nothing to simply not respond to people you don't like.

keeping your private chat public is simply efficient.

Naaxi.png

Just answer me one last question. How do you make new friends if you only chat with people you are already friends with?

Okay one other question. Why don't you want people PMing you? What, specifically, is so bothersome about their PM that forces you to block out everyone except your friends? Too difficult to look away from the text? Too time consuming to type out an answer to a question?

You asked nicely enough, so the least I can do is answer.

I think part of the problem here is that you don't seem to be able to recognize or accept that people can be very different, in terms of not just personality, but how they use a game like RS.

So consider the following.

1. I run an RS fan site. My name is fairly high profile, and I end on a lot of friends lists. So sometimes I log in and get multiple people I don't know messaging me. Sometimes this happens when I have logged in literally for 30 seconds just to check a stat or look at something in my bank, because I'm in the middle of writing something up. It would be MORE rude for me to ignore messages coming in when I don't have time to respond properly, than to just continue to appear offline, which I basically am.

2. Ever looked at my Beastopedia? It contains hundreds of hours of drop logs and timed tests. I can't do timed tests while people are messaging me. Friends understand this; strangers do not.

3. Lately I've been doing a lot of Dungeoneering. Public chat, again, means I often end up being rude to people because I just don't have time to respond to them. It would be even ruder to my teammates to ignore them while I am chatting.

4. I am not looking to make new friends via random PM conversations. Sorry if that sounds conceited, but I meet enough people here and via my site and my dealings with other RS groups. I rarely find anyone via random online encounter with whom I have any basis for a long-term friendship.

5. I'm guessing you're pretty young. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would be my guess. I'm not. I have a wife and kids and a house and chores and dinner to make and shopping to do and maintenance work and lawn mowing and errands and picking up this one and dropping off that one -- and sometimes in the evening, or early morning, I just want an hour or two of peace and quiet. I don't get that when random people are messaging me. I then feel annoyed, and risk taking it out on someone who doesn't deserve it.

Not everything is as simple as it may seem.

signew2.png