Where did Players get Pickaxes?

CookMePlox

Hi, I suspect you probably don't get too many questions like this, but here goes.

Between the release of RuneScape (4 January 2001) to the release of the Dwarven Mines (6 April 2001), it seems to me that players could only get Bronze Pickaxes, as the only way for F2P to get non-Bronze Pickaxes seems to be at Nurmof's Shop, which was of course release along with the Dwarven Mines four months after the release of RuneScape.

So my question is, where did people get non-Bronze pickaxes? Were they the only kind in the game for four months?

Thank you,

CMP

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

Hi, I suspect you probably don't get too many questions like this, but here goes.

Between the release of RuneScape (4 January 2001) to the release of the Dwarven Mines (6 April 2001), it seems to me that players could only get Bronze Pickaxes, as the only way for F2P to get non-Bronze Pickaxes seems to be at Nurmof's Shop, which was of course release along with the Dwarven Mines four months after the release of RuneScape.

So my question is, where did people get non-Bronze pickaxes? Were they the only kind in the game for four months?

Thank you,

CMP

[From RSWiki

In the early days of Runescape Classic, there was only one type of pickaxe available, named simply Pickaxe. It looked like a Steel pickaxe and could not be equipped. When different types of pickaxes were released in May 2003, all Pickaxes held or in the bank became the Bronze pickaxes that are commonly found today.

Here's the update for sleeping bags and pickaxes on the RS website http://services.runescape.com/m=news/newsitem.ws?id=95&allcat=true

Rao.png

Ah sleeping bags. I remember just starting the game, mined a few rocks, and I was "tired". Friend told me to find a bed, which took me another hour. I think I quit the game because I was tired all the time, then sleeping bags came out, but I didn't care anymore. Runescape sucked.

Until a few years later when I decided it didn't suck >.>

newsigh.jpg

Pickaxes also come from clues.

clues didnt exist back in those days :lol: I know some rs trivia! :blink:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I remember when they released those pick axes. The shop was over crowded and everyone was waiting for the shop to restock the single rune pick axe. If I remeber they only restocked 1 an hour. Those who were lucky to get one for 32k, sold them for an immense profit to the ones who couldnt wait a few days for one.

rudedude.pngthError---Too-Stupid.png

And the way that these pickaxes were more effective than bronze is just that the automatically "clicked" the rock for you multiple times in a row. Rune gave you twelve automatic attempts in a row to mine a rock instead of the default 1.

I can't say that I miss those days.

kindness.png

I'm just going to refer to this thread the next time somebody says we have too many old school threads. Also, JaGEx should end their newsposts like they used to.

"Please may I ask that everyone tries this new system properly BEFORE commenting on it this time (e.g wait at least 24 hours before sending us feedback). Feedback from players who haven't actually used the system they are commenting on, is obviously utterly useless to us."

Would there be a "We pay, we rant" riot?

Rao.png

I remember when they released those pick axes. The shop was over crowded and everyone was waiting for the shop to restock the single rune pick axe. If I remeber they only restocked 1 an hour. Those who were lucky to get one for 32k, sold them for an immense profit to the ones who couldnt wait a few days for one.

This. It was crowded as all hell down there. It was awesome

Bagman10.png

Bagman10.png

Well, it appears I've brought on a little wave of nostalgia. Thanks Zimbu and others.

On a semi-related note, when did heads start falling off of pickaxes?

Oh, and were there (different types of) logs in the game before Fletching?

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

when Runescape first started, players that chose Miner as their starting class would start with a pickaxe as well

Shivan.png

It's called the "Grand Exchange," and not the "Grand Alwaysatyourservicetodoyourbidding,regardlessoftheneedsofothers," for a reason.

107,992 to 99 cooking

96,545 to 99 fletching

24,699 to 99 smithing

I would indeed be happy if someone stopped spreading cancer all over this place. Even though it tends to be funny to read, but not as much when someone who demands people to make way for him comes along and decides to call others arrogant.

Well, it appears I've brought on a little wave of nostalgia. Thanks Zimbu and others.

On a semi-related note, when did heads start falling off of pickaxes?

Oh, and were there (different types of) logs in the game before Fletching?

Heads started falling off pickaxes when the first random events were added to the game, which was after Runescape 2 was already out for a while. During 2005 I guess.

Before fletching, there was only one kind of log. The woodcutting skill was originally for nothing but chopping regular trees, just as the firemaking skill was for nothing but setting these regular logs on fire. You got more experience per log chopped and burned as your level got higher.

kindness.png

Thank you all for your help. One final question then I'll stop bothering you:

When was enchanting released? Was it when you were able to start making jewellery?

PS When was Seers' Village released? With fletching?

Oh, and what about Warhammers? I can't find anything on them in Tip.It's news archives.

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

If the good old Rock Golem existed back then, I know it dropped pickaxes.

If the good old Rock Golem existed back then, I know it dropped pickaxes.

I'f I'm not mistaken, that came out around 2004ish,

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png