IDE discussion

Basically this is a discussion whether you use an IDE for coding/development and which one for which language do you use?

If you don;t know, an "IDE" is an Integrated development environment. It basically is a super version of notepad with a built in compiler and source organizer.

I use an IDE for complex projects when there is more than one directory of files to deal with. For example; if I had the following directory hierarchy, I would use an IDE:

com\ballerplaya\
com\ballerplaya\images
com\ballerplaya\images\loading
com\ballerplaya\images\game
com\ballerplaya\images\game\sprites
com\ballerplaya\images\game\tiles
com\ballerplaya\utils
com\ballerplaya\lua
com\ballerplaya\libs
com\ballerplaya\scripts

If I had something like the following, I would use text-pad + mingw:

com\ballerplaya\
com\ballerplaya\\resoruces

My preferred Java IDE is eclipse for its portability across platforms and simple interface. I use Dev c++ for c++. For anything web based, I use dreamweaver. It has ftp capabilities, editing, preview, get from server, etc options.

So what is your opinion on IDEs/ which do you use for what?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I use notepad++ for html, css, and php. Visual Studio for C#, and Netbeans for Java. Other than that I don't do much development so that's all.

Netbeans is by far my favorite, I find it very intuitive and fast.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I use Emacs. It has everything and even more. It's really hard to use though, I had to print the commands on paper to remember them. There are SIX pages of commands, and those are just the basic ones. With plugins there's a ton more.

This picture explains the difficulty really well:

editor_learning_curves_blog.jpg

Not only does it do basic stuff like syntax highlighting, but it also has version control, debugger, spellcheck, web browser, mail reader, TETRIS etc.

I use butterflies.

Because we went there, obligatory xkcd:

real_programmers.png

But really, now that Emacs has a vim emulator, the conclusion is simple; vim is the best editor, and Emacs is the best operating system.

C2b6gs7.png

I use visual studio for stuff like asp.net, vb.net sometimes C++, then notepad++ if I'm not doing much or simple xhtml/css/T-Sql/bit of MySql, Eclipse for Java, Aptana Studio for PHP, and I'm sure I'm missing some. I also occasionnally use vim, but I'm mostly on Windows so this one it's a little less.

I use butterflies.

Because we went there, obligatory xkcd:

real_programmers.png

But really, now that Emacs has a vim emulator, the conclusion is simple; vim is the best editor, and Emacs is the best operating system.

84191b20fd39595f2c4af74c7b09a.png

This was added as an "easter egg" after that xkcd comic :P

• 4 weeks later...

Qt Creator for C++/Qt

Code::Blocks just to have around for "other" C++ stuffVisual Studio 2010 for C#/.NET & ASP.NET (C#/HTML/CSS/JavaScript)

eclipse for Java

Notepad++ for various things

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Gedit (Or nano) and bash are good enough for me in most cases (Web design needs Firefox + Firebug however).

E: This reminded me of Eclipse, I thought I might want to do some Java programming when I'm bored on the train tomorrow. So I searched for it.

The results make me want to cry.

C2b6gs7.png