Playstation 3 v Xbox 360

Sam

So let's say there's a Nintendo owner whose only non-Nintendo gaming system he's ever owned was a PS2. Now he's considering getting a PS3 or an Xbox 360. What would you guys say to convince him to get either one? Note: cost is definitely an issue.

Oh and he's me :P Games I'm interested in are MW2 (only for playing with friends really, could care less about online), Bioshock 1 & 2, Oblivion, and Fallout so far.

wl7w9j.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's say there's a Nintendo owner whose only non-Nintendo gaming system he's ever owned was a PS2. Now he's considering getting a PS3 or an Xbox 360. What would you guys say to convince him to get either one? Note: cost is definitely an issue.

Oh and he's me :P Games I'm interested in are MW2 (only for playing with friends really, could care less about online), Bioshock 1 & 2, Oblivion, and Fallout so far.

PS3. I can't say I really have any reasons other than what has been stated in this thread. PS3 also has a much better lineup for the future IMO.

Then again, the 360 had very limited backward compatibility.

How is that even possible considering there was only one console before the 360? It can run all Xbox games... I don't see that as limited...

It can only run a list of about 450, or about half of the old games.

Backwards compatibility was killed for the PS3 slim, so another point to Xbox

not a good idea to buy a console anyway. next gens should be announced next year

This.

I hope TES 5: Skyrim gets announced then! D:

Although... considering that Microsoft are releasing Natal this year, and Sony are releasing the Wii Remo-- I mean PSMove, I think we might not see Next Gens for quite some time.

Hoenstly and truthfully, if those are the games your really interested in - get Steam for PC and buy them from that. It would be a much better idea to buy a gaming PC, if you feel that your PC can't run games as it is. Not only is it a beautiful gaming platform with constant updates, user downloads (etc), its still a PC... so :thumbup:

If I were to suggest a platform to buy for a PC... it'd be Alienware... but thats so damn expensive.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

I don't think Sony and Microsoft will announce a new home console that soon, the only company that needs a new home console is Nintendo, specially since the 3DS has almost wii like grafics.

Hoenstly and truthfully, if those are the games your really interested in - get Steam for PC and buy them from that. It would be a much better idea to buy a gaming PC, if you feel that your PC can't run games as it is. Not only is it a beautiful gaming platform with constant updates, user downloads (etc), its still a PC... so :thumbup:

If I were to suggest a platform to buy for a PC... it'd be Alienware... but thats so damn expensive.

I don't have the money for a gaming PC, and don't want one either. 50% of the reason I'm getting a console is so I can play with my friends, and about half of them have an Xbox and the other half have PS3's. We usually go to each other's houses and play on each other's systems so it's not like the console difference is much of a problem anyways.

I've also decided I'll probably be getting a PS3, since I've always wanted to play a Final Fantasy game and none of the Xbox exclusives interest me.

wl7w9j.png

try playing a FF game first. for me, it was incredibly disappointing after all the hype the series has received. well to be fair the only japanese RPG game i really liked was brave fencer musashi on the PS1

and for next gen

ps1 - released 1994

ps2 - 2000

ps3 - 2006

ps4 - 2012?

I don't think Sony and Microsoft will announce a new home console that soon, the only company that needs a new home console is Nintendo, specially since the 3DS has almost wii like grafics.

Nintendo, definitely.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Like elpresador once said, "the whole console war was only something to boost my channel. The only people who care about it are deranged adults and [bleep]y little kids".

PC and Nintendo are ftw, as well as PS1. I don't play console games except for Dead Space on my 360, and all my Nintendo/PS1 games on their relevant consoles. Tbh, for hardcore gaming I go for the PC.

disturbeda.png

Microsoft sucks at making consoles. I treated my 360 like a fragile trophy and it already has MAJOR problems reading discs. I have to install my games onto the hard drive or else it will randomly say, "Cannot read disc. Try cleaning it." for every single game I have - even a brand new one fresh from the case. I got it last Christmas too. Not to mention PS3 has online built into it. The only thing I can give 360 credit for is that I think they have a better selection of games.

I love how now we are probably going to get into the whole motion control B.S that I see absolutely no one really worrying about. But just to fight.

Kinect is an Eyetoy for the Xbox. Big whoop. Anybody remember the failure a couple months back when a black guy was testing it and he wouldn't show up on the screen?

The Move on the other hand is taking what has been established for the Wii and making it much better. A camera tracks the movement of the ball at the end of the remote, meaning you are not pointing at a sensor and there are much more complex movements you can do with the Move as opposed to the Wii. The Wii is limited to jerks and slashes and throws and large scale motions. The Move, when playing tennis for instance, can detect how you are swinging the remote so you can do backhands and such instead of just dislocating your wrist jerking the wii remote to hit the tennis ball.

The Move is improving the Wii's technology, while the Kinect really has nothing going for it. At the moment the only real Kinect related thing I've heard about is a new Sonic game. And that's how you sell something is with a Sonic game. Maybe twenty years ago...

Personally, I'll end up getting a Move because then we can throw out the Wii that is gathering dust and has pretty much nothing that piques my interest on it. Move looks like it will have some fun stuff and 50 bucks is not at all a bad price. 100 if you are getting the sports pack with it.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I love how now we are probably going to get into the whole motion control B.S that I see absolutely no one really worrying about. But just to fight.

Kinect is an Eyetoy for the Xbox. Big whoop. Anybody remember the failure a couple months back when a black guy was testing it and he wouldn't show up on the screen?

The Move on the other hand is taking what has been established for the Wii and making it much better. A camera tracks the movement of the ball at the end of the remote, meaning you are not pointing at a sensor and there are much more complex movements you can do with the Move as opposed to the Wii. The Wii is limited to jerks and slashes and throws and large scale motions. The Move, when playing tennis for instance, can detect how you are swinging the remote so you can do backhands and such instead of just dislocating your wrist jerking the wii remote to hit the tennis ball.

The Move is improving the Wii's technology, while the Kinect really has nothing going for it. At the moment the only real Kinect related thing I've heard about is a new Sonic game. And that's how you sell something is with a Sonic game. Maybe twenty years ago...

Personally, I'll end up getting a Move because then we can throw out the Wii that is gathering dust and has pretty much nothing that piques my interest on it. Move looks like it will have some fun stuff and 50 bucks is not at all a bad price. 100 if you are getting the sports pack with it.

Are you even aware of the MotionPlus that goes with the Wii? It uses a gyroscope sensor, which is much more accurate than the Move. It can sense what angle you're holding the remote and all that. It doesn't necessarily calculate depth from the sensor like the Move, but its rotational movement is going to be much greater than the Move's ever will. At least until the Move decides to stop using a camera.

How gyroscopes work if you didn't know: http://science.howstuffworks.com/gyroscope3.htm (It's a long read but definitely worth it)

The precision with this is ridiculous, and new games being developed with the gyroscope don't have to rely on the awkward sensor bar. So no, the Wii is not as far behind in regards to engineering innovations as you thought. Some of this is subjective, but I think that they're still ahead regarding console engineering. While some of the features of the Wii really really suck, such as graphics, the innovation behind some of the concepts make up for it in my opinion.

Sorry about elaborating on the Wii in this thread :oops:

wl7w9j.png

Are you even aware of the MotionPlus that goes with the Wii? It uses a gyroscope sensor, which is much more accurate than the Move. It can sense what angle you're holding the remote and all that. It doesn't necessarily calculate depth from the sensor like the Move, but its rotational movement is going to be much greater than the Move's ever will. At least until the Move decides to stop using a camera.

How gyroscopes work if you didn't know: http://science.howstuffworks.com/gyroscope3.htm (It's a long read but definitely worth it)

The precision with this is ridiculous, and new games being developed with the gyroscope don't have to rely on the awkward sensor bar. So no, the Wii is not as far behind in regards to engineering innovations as you thought. Some of this is subjective, but I think that they're still ahead regarding console engineering. While some of the features of the Wii really really suck, such as graphics, the innovation behind some of the concepts make up for it in my opinion.

That's great and all except that 95% of Wii developers aren't even using the motion+

That is true. But how many developers will use Move and actually use it well?

Hopefully a lot actually, since I plan on getting a PS3 :P I know there are a lot that are supporting it, but I haven't seen anything yet that interests me.

wl7w9j.png

I know there is Motion Plus but as a new peripheral, more developers will probably look at the Move for their games, especially because they can put games of superior graphics on it. It will be pretty much a Wii for the Playstation, but with superior graphics and some people (not all but some) will be more open to the idea of hardcore games using the peripheral. Personally, I find motion controls to be something developers should not worry about because I am more of a controller kind of person and moving off subject a bit, I've always felt that because of the motion controls and the very minimal amount of good games on the system, the Wii is a toy. I know everyone will disagree with me wholeheartedly on this statement, but that's how I feel. The Move may become a more mature version of the Wii if developers embrace it. It's a real longshot to everyone will, but it could happen. The Kinect on the other hand is a peripheral that I see no hope in. When I think of an Xbox person I think of online shooter kind of people. Pretty much shooter people. Not all Xboxers are like that, but quite a majority are (Even I was one before mine Red ringed and I bought a PS3, I played tons of Halo 3, still do with my friends at their places). And I can't see them buying a kinect unless they have a younger sibling or a kid and there is some sort of game for it that they find appealing. The Kinect might have hardcore games, I don't know, but to me it's an eyetoy or one of the cameras you got with "You're in the Movies" or whatever that game was called. And the eyetoy was kind of a dud. It really hasn't lasted.

Now then, I think we should finish the discussion on motion peripherals until we actually get a chance to play them later in the year and hear more on what they are going to provide us. Then we can say yay or nay.

the fact you guys are arguing about move/kinect is so sad. why? it's not like the wiimote is a good thing

getting a ps3 at the end of next month so ill have all 3 consoles and i still think the wii is for senior citizens or toddlers. i have a modded 360 and can easily flash the wii but why would i? online sucks, games suck, controls suck. guess its also good for the overprotective parents who dont want their kids exposed to the danger of good online connectivity. oh noez.

gamecube was a good console (which i owned and liked), the wii isnt. fanboys fail so much

the fact you guys are arguing about move/kinect is so sad. why? it's not like the wiimote is a good thing

getting a ps3 at the end of next month so ill have all 3 consoles and i still think the wii is for senior citizens or toddlers. i have a modded 360 and can easily flash the wii but why would i? online sucks, games suck, controls suck. guess its also good for the overprotective parents who dont want their kids exposed to the danger of good online connectivity. oh noez.

gamecube was a good console (which i owned and liked), the wii isnt. fanboys fail so much

The Gamecube is still an amazing console. Tales of Symphonia is for the win. And Resident Evil. And yeah, I hate the Wii and it's fanbase. You bring up any sort of argument about how few games it has and how all Nintendo does is remake every game they have ever made over and over and they eat it up like candy. One of my friends (used to be)was trying to steal my job on the school paper (Video game reviewer)on the premise that I am a biased idiot who is the only person in the world who hates Nintendo. He's a failure.

Anyway, back on track, Zero Punctuation this week summed up my feelings on motion controls and everything about them:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1838-E3-2010

The Xbox 360 has some great exclusives, and the PS3 has a few great exclusives as well. Online features, XBL wins, but you pay for it. Personally, I would rather take the free PSN though (Yes I know they are making PSN Plus, but you can keep regular PSN and still play online free, which is what I care about).

The huge gripe that I have about the 360 vs the PS3 is proprietary everything. The 360 has proprieary written all over it. If you want to get anything for it, you have to buy Microsoft's hardware. Power supply cable (With ugly heavy powerbrick, bleeeh), video out (Although the new 360 has HDMI I think), HDD, no bluetooth, etc.

That is just one thing that tipped me towards the PS3. It takes a standard Computer PSU cable, standard 2.5in HDD that is replaceable and loads cheaper to buy per GB relative to the 360 HDD, bluetooth, USB connector for controllers, etc.

After that, it really just comes down to personal preference of games. I don't play games too much, and most of the games I get on are multiple consoles anyway. They just look slightly better on the PS3 in my opinion.

Oh, and the PS3 [slim] looks way more smexy then the new and old 360. Plus it's dead silent, especially when playing games.

Pfft who even uses disc trays anymore, slot loading is way awesomer. :razz:

Big_Stingman.png

the fact you guys are arguing about move/kinect is so sad. why?

They aren't. If you read the posts this discussion is more intelligent than many other similar discussions about the subject I've seen.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

PS3 has better graphics and free online. also im used to the ps3 controller and i like it better. But the Xbox has some nice perks too like better online, but you gotta pay to play your own games, wich i think defeats the purpose.

vcz3sx.png

PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22