Playstation 3 v Xbox 360

Sam

ps3-vs-xbox360.jpg

This is the thread for intelligent and technical discussion about the PS3 & X360, backed up with points and facts.

Both consoles have their merits. Don't be a fanboy.

Any non-contstructive posts deemed so by moderators will be removed.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This argument is really a matter of personal preference.

As I cannot afford two consoles, I had to choose between the two. I ultimately selected the Xbox 360 for its wider selection of big titles, stronger multiplayer support, and it's the console of choice among my gaming friends. There's not necessarily anything wrong with the PS3, it's just not the console that suits my preferences. If I could afford both, I would have both.

Also, before anyone tries to bring this up, I've had my Xbox 360 since June 2007 and I have never gotten the RROD. If you leave your Xbox 360 in a ventilated and cool area, horizontal, and don't play it for 12 straight hours, that should never be a problem. Like most problems with technology, RROD stems from user-error.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Honest to God... this again?

Most of the time the argument is in favour of personal preference.

Do you want my two cents? I'll copypasta what I said off another forum

[hide=Don't flame me. This is just MY personal preference. I don't care if you like PS3 more.]

• It is cheaper, and has roughly the same memory capacity as the PS3. The PS3 has ridiculous amounts of memory, that I doubt anyone will use up.
    The graphics, 8 out of 10 times, are better than PS3. Most of the time, the PS3 games are ports which means the graphics are worse - a prime example of this is Fallout 3.
    The Xbox has a massive, friendly community.
    The Xbox also allows people to access community videos, Inside XBox videos, Staff Videos, Facebook, Twitter and recently Sky Player and even 1 vs 100 - with real prizes!
    The Xbox's home screen is alot more friendly than the PS3's and is alot more simpler.
    There are better 360 exclusives. Want some proof? All games Valve has made - L4D, L4D2, Portal, HL1/2 etc. Enough said (Yes they are PC and Yes TOB is out for PS3, but TF2 is mainly played on PC, HL2:EP2 makes no sense if you've not played HL1, 2 and EP1. The only good game there is Portal).
    PS3 Home was a desperate failure to bring the community together.
    The Xbox has alot to do on simply the Home Screen, sometimes more than games have!
    The Xbox has a community named the 'XNA' community. They are simple gamers which are training their game developing skills via a Microsoft Kit called the XNA Creators Kit, and the games they make can be uploaded to the XBox itself, for all it's players to play!
    The XBox has alot more online support than the PS3.
    The PS3's game systems are far to complex. Xbox is a simple coding system which gives developers more flexibility.
    Lastly, my favourite quote by Gabe Newell (Managing Director of Valve) attacking the PS3. Here it is:
The PS3 is a waste of everybody's time and is a disaster on many levels... I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it' and be done with it.

[/hide]

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

You cant use community as an excuse simply because so many people play both systems.

I like the PS3 because it is like a media hub which allows you to listen to music and videos

The PS3 store has some of the better games from when I was a kid (final fantasy etc)

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

I think its hard to put a wedge between em these days.

When they first came out ps3 was stupidly over-priced due to blu-ray when it was still not really mainstream; but now it works.

blu-ray and free live stuff is win for ps3

but generally i find xbox exculsive games and xbox versions are better than ps3 and i vastly prefer the controller

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I prefer the wii over those 2, but if i had to choose between them, I'd go for 360, since i prefer Mass Effect and Gears of War to God of War and Metal Gear, but this *is* a matter of personal preference.

This also looks like flamebait, but that's just me troubling.

I got the Xbox 360: Elite for Christmas, and I love it. I wanted one more than a PS3 because of the games like Halo. Generally the graphics have always been better with Xbox's as well

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

This is just going to end up in flaming. I have both consoles, I find myself playing 360 more, because I mostly play CoD and its head and shoulders above PS3 in terms of online play. Theres nothing really wrong with PS3 anymore, 360 used to be a much better choice but the gaps a lot narrower now.

I'm a 360 guy myself, despite owning all the previous sony consoles.

3/4 of my friends have PS3s and the other 1/4 are 360 owners so there used to be banter all the time about which is better. With the 360 i prefer the controller over the PS3. The sticks seem to be in a better position (left one raised a bit higher than the right one, as opposed to the PS3 having both side by side) and they have an indented top which makes it easier to grip. Sure it's not a massive difference but it's one i've noticed.

The PS3 has free online play, web browser and the blu-ray player. The web browser i don't care about as i have a laptop to do that. Although the PS3 has free online stuff, i don't think it has the same level of community as Live does (correct me if i'm wrong). The exclusive games are also better for 360, in my opinion.

Theres the reliability issue with the 360's, RROD's and whatnot. I haven't had a whole lot of trouble with those, had one a while back on one of the original 360's after a good few years service. A couple of my friends PS3's have overheated or something but i don't think it's as widespread a problem as the RROD's are.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Also I feel PS3 stole quite a few ideas/features from other consoles.

Yeah pretty much. From the Wii Remote (PS3Wand) to Achievements (Trophies)

Theres the reliability issue with the 360's, RROD's and whatnot. I haven't had a whole lot of trouble with those, had one a while back on one of the original 360's after a good few years service. A couple of my friends PS3's have overheated or something but i don't think it's as widespread a problem as the RROD's are.

I've not experienced RROD's besides the almost compulsory start up one. What annoys me is when people say "XBOX IS CRAP CAUSE IT HAS RROD LOLOLOLOL" when they don't realize that the PS3 has the Yellow light of death. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you said that :P

I'm a 360 guy myself, despite owning all the previous sony consoles.

3/4 of my friends have PS3s and the other 1/4 are 360 owners so there used to be banter all the time about which is better. With the 360 i prefer the controller over the PS3. The sticks seem to be in a better position (left one raised a bit higher than the right one, as opposed to the PS3 having both side by side) and they have an indented top which makes it easier to grip. Sure it's not a massive difference but it's one i've noticed.

The PS3 has free online play, web browser and the blu-ray player. The web browser i don't care about as i have a laptop to do that. Although the PS3 has free online stuff, i don't think it has the same level of community as Live does (correct me if i'm wrong). The exclusive games are also better for 360, in my opinion.

Yeah when I played my younger brothers PS3 before I found after a short while my fingers ached abit because of the layout of the controller.

To add to your online point, I think the 360 makes up for it with it's quality of online.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

The PS3 controller is really bad for CoD, the sprinting really hurts your finger after a while. Not so much on other games where you don't have to press the analog sticks as much, but its still not as comfortable as the 360 controller, its just not got the weight and feels cheaply made.

I've always had Playstations, so I bought a PS3. Also because I wanted to play MGS4 and GOW3. If it was possible, I'd get both, though.

Like you i've always had a Playstation and liked them and the PS3 is no different. My problem is that the games for the Xbox are a much wider range which allows more choice :angry: . I personally think that Halo 3 should have been made for PS3 so more people can go on them. Luckly some of my friends have Halo 3 so i still got to go on it. Apart from that my personal opinion is that PS3 is better than Xbox 360.

5anla8.jpg

Also I feel PS3 stole quite a few ideas/features from other consoles.

Yeah pretty much. From the Wii Remote (PS3Wand) to Achievements (Trophies)

I've not experienced RROD's besides the almost compulsory start up one. What annoys me is when people say "XBOX IS CRAP CAUSE IT HAS RROD LOLOLOLOL" when they don't realize that the PS3 has the Yellow light of death. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you said that :P

RROD stuff annoys the hell out of me.

It's all media hype. Sony fuled RROD talk to try and boost ps3 sales and RROD only caught on as an image because it such an easy image opposed to all prior consoles where if it died it was just dead there wasn't an easily viewable visual to show it was dead.

I know like 30 - 40 people with xbox 360s, only like 3 people had RROD and of those 3, 1 spilt coffee on it and the other repeatedly tripped over it and dropped it down the stairs. Despite the media hyped bs and what xbox haters say RROD is kinda rare and 99/100 times you will not get RROD unless you really do something that will obviously break (eg liquids and dropping)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

[snip]

It's all media hype. Sony fuled RROD talk to try and boost ps3 sales and RROD only caught on as an image because it such an easy image opposed to all prior consoles where if it died it was just dead there wasn't an easily viewable visual to show it was dead.

I know like 30 - 40 people with xbox 360s, only like 3 people had RROD and of those 3, 1 spilt coffee on it and the other repeatedly tripped over it and dropped it down the stairs. Despite the media hyped bs and what xbox haters say RROD is kinda rare and 99/100 times you will not get RROD unless you really do something that will obviously break (eg liquids and dropping)

That just reminded me...

One of the key arguments against the X360 is that if you move it whilst in use the disc gets a 'halo' (large circle scratch).

I've dropped my 360 from upright to lying a few times all with discs in it and I've never experienced a halo.

I've just noticed alot of the arguments aginst the X360 are either extremely rare happenings or just plain myths.

I have both.

Out of the two the only one that gets any use out of me these days is the PS3. One of the things is that I share the PS3 with my roomate. With the 360 it's difficult for us to play certain games online (such as SF4) because we can't both make separate accounts unless we want to pay twice the cost for live. On the PS3 due to it being free we can have more than one account which is awesome.

Oh and I hate PS3 shooters that blindly port controls from a 360 and put the shoot button on "R2" and not "R1". It's seriously annoying and lazy.

As far as the 360 goes I just don't see any exclusives on it at all worth playing. Sony actually has a strong hold on good exclusives now I think and has a good upper hand on it. I also wanted to say that currently my 360 has been having an issue where it will restart randomly. I take good care of my consoles and electronics so it's not me "abusing" it.

Finally I just wanted to mention that the PS3 was actually the first sony system I've ever owned.

[snip]

That just reminded me...

One of the key arguments against the X360 is that if you move it whilst in use the disc gets a 'halo' (large circle scratch).

I've dropped my 360 from upright to lying a few times all with discs in it and I've never experienced a halo.

I've just noticed alot of the arguments aginst the X360 are either extremely rare happenings or just plain myths.

That one just makes me lol, cause it's like yeah if u move a disc drive system while in use that not asking for trouble regardless of what it is.

Plv6Dz6.jpg