Farming herbs for herblore

All_Is_Great

I want to train my herblore, preferably to 85 +, but since I just used most of my money on my house, I decided to farm my own herbs since I'm in no hurry.

My question is, which herb would be the best to farm for this? I'm using all 5 patches but planting snaps on My Arm's patch. That leaves 4 patches to train herblore with.

Staurolite.png

Use the best herb and buy the herbs you need with the profit.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculators/Farming_herbs

Rannars seem to be best now, followed closely by Avantoes.I'd do Avantoes because the seeds are cheaper and if you get dead plants it won't be that much trouble.

I'll second this. Note that avantoe also gives more farming xp.

Yea but I don't want to buy them, if I did, I would just do some better money maker in terms of gp/hr.

I'm just wondering what pots should I train with so I can plant them.

In that case, try super energies, but be aware that you'll be losing some money. :wink:

Yea but I don't want to buy them, if I did, I would just do some better money maker in terms of gp/hr.

Farming snaps is a rate of 2.7m/hr for me (that's with scroll of life and using fastest methods and routes). I doubt you could get much higher without overloads/steel titan.

Farming snaps is a rate of 2.7m/hr for me (that's with scroll of life and using fastest methods and routes). I doubt you could get much higher without overloads/steel titan.

could you please explain your post in greater detail?

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

You should be able to harvest roughly about 67 patches/hr at top speed, with 20% of those patches being My Arm's disease-free patch with a higher average yield. To make 2.7m/hr you should therefore need to average about 40k gp/seed, which with a scroll of life seems perfectly plausible.

You should be able to harvest roughly about 67 patches/hr at top speed, with 20% of those patches being My Arm's disease-free patch with a higher average yield. To make 2.7m/hr you should therefore need to average about 40k gp/seed, which with a scroll of life seems perfectly plausible.

i consider myself an avid farmer. i have no idea how one comes to harvest 67 herb patches an hour. i have forever been under the impression that herb seeds take 70 or 80 minutes to grow. in zaap's original post he mentions overloads and steel titan, but what relevance does a steel titan have to a farming/herbalore thread?

i'm just trying to piece this together, wouldn't it be easier to say you average 2.7mil per run of snaps? considering growing time takes slightly more than an hour.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Exactly, and the fastest route is outlined in my Farming guide, just btw.

And while yes, you can't actually harvest 67 herb patches an hour, you CAN harvest 67 in an hour's worth of time. For your purposes, they are the same thing.

And note that I farm cactus spines (w/o replanting) and limpwurts (w/ replanting). Every 10 runs they add another 300-400k depending on my luck and on prices.

Exactly, and the fastest route is outlined in my Farming guide, just btw.

And while yes, you can't actually harvest 67 herb patches an hour, you CAN harvest 67 in an hour's worth of time. For your purposes, they are the same thing.

And note that I farm cactus spines (w/o replanting) and limpwurts (w/ replanting). Every 10 runs they add another 300-400k depending on my luck and on prices.

makes perfect sense. i figured you may have been excluding growing time (only because i've viewed your farming guide before). thanks for the clarification

What I'm doing to power gather herb:

avantoe or toadflax for standard patches, others (ranarr, snapdragon, torstol, etc) at trollheim every 1 hour 40 min

put kingdom 100% herb (and 50% other of your choice)

do sorceress garden or kill monster that drop herb fairly well while waiting on herb to grow.

Hacked 10 years old account, permamently quit if Jagex doesn't return items.

ventuzz.png

Its funny, often when I think of something, such as I wonder what herb others are farming to make the most money, Ill go tip it to find out! So the first thread on the page under the 'stuckies' is this. Life in so serendipitous at times.

As soon as I could I started with Ranarrs, and made decent cash with them, but soon after running the numbers and gaining the ability to planes Avantoes I jumped on it and havent looked back.

Was just doing the numbers again and checking, while my math can be highly suspect at the best of times, I think I got this correct.

Seems the average falls around the low end of six. 6.3-6.4 herbs per patch seem average, so for the sake of easy math and safe margins, call it six herbs per patch with your 'Magic Secateurs' and Super C' each and every time you plant.

Profit margins I get, not taking into account the Super C for the patch are as such for:

Avantoe(available at lvl50): 30,715 gp. per patch

Ranarr(available at lvl.32): 28,244 gp.

Lantadyme(available at lvl.73): 25,320 gp.

Only three herbs I know but I ran a few others and they weren't even close, these seem to be the contenders. Perhaps I am flawed and I missed some, totally possible, I smoke lots so sue me .

Avantoe is the one of a few where the herb is worth more than the seed.

Grow them make lots, have fun.

Did you know half the worlds population is below average intelligence?

Many people think we are getting smarter as a whole, but we are UNIVERSALLY getting dumber and dumber at an alarmingly fast rate.

Metaphorically.... the human race is on its way to hell in a hand-basket made of dry wicker.

Disregarding scroll of life and using today's prices:

Ranarr in all 5 patches.

um what, ranarr on all patch?

I'm sure OP want to TRAIN HERBLORE, not profit... and FYI ranarr diseases alot

toadflax and avantoe works well on standard patchs.

ventuzz.png

Disregarding scroll of life and using today's prices:

Ranarr in all 5 patches.

um what, ranarr on all patch?

I'm sure OP want to TRAIN HERBLORE, not profit... and FYI ranarr diseases alot

toadflax and avantoe works well on standard patchs.

The best strategy would be to make the best profit from farming, and then buy the best herbs for training.

All herbs have the same disease rate.

Toadflax and avantoe are good, but not the best.

Proof please? I tried experiment planting seed long ago when seed used to be cheap.. i tracked whenever they "die" or "lived", toadflax and avantoe survived the most, and other dies a lot. Unless they changed it in some patch.

ventuzz.png

Proof please? I tried experiment planting seed long ago when seed used to be cheap.. i tracked whenever they "die" or "lived", toadflax and avantoe survived the most, and other dies a lot. Unless they changed it in some patch.

Ok, I don't have fiscal data, but I can say from experience farming nearly every herb that they all have the same disease rate, more or less.

I've averaged about 6.79 herbs/patch with wergali.

I've averaged about 6.78 herbs/patch with torstol.

I've averaged about 6.81 herbs/patch with toadflax.

About 500 recorded seeds for wergali and torstol, and about 100 recorded seeds for toadflax. Very much within the margin of error, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you stopped tracking live/dead after about 25 seeds.

I've averaged about 6.79 herbs/patch with wergali.

I've averaged about 6.78 herbs/patch with torstol.

I've averaged about 6.81 herbs/patch with toadflax.

About 500 recorded seeds for wergali and torstol, and about 100 recorded seeds for toadflax. Very much within the margin of error, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you stopped tracking live/dead after about 25 seeds.

... no.. i've done like more than 100 seed each one. I've posted on this tip.it forum somewhere before, but too bad it wasn't archived.

and data you posted... has nothing to do with disease/death rate?.....

But I'm not interested in making argument anymore, do whatever you think best and I'm doing whatever I think is best.

I want to know this in DETAIL as well... I calculated that you MUST have 33 or 34 herb harvest PER patch from 5 herb patch to sell grimy for 2.7m. It's impossible to gather herb more than 22 or so per patch. Oh also, herb grows 1 hour 30 min (usually for me, sometime it gone more than 2 hours). I must be doing something wrong, or you have ability to make herb patch to grow at hyperspeed.

ventuzz.png

I want to know this in DETAIL as well... I calculated that you MUST have 33 or 34 herb harvest PER patch from 5 herb patch to sell grimy for 2.7m. It's impossible to gather herb more than 22 or so per patch. Oh also, herb grows 1 hour 30 min (usually for me, sometime it gone more than 2 hours). I must be doing something wrong, or you have ability to make herb patch to grow at hyperspeed.

5 patches takes something like 4.5 minutes with the Ardougne Cloak teleport, roundabouts. Therefore, for every hour of farming, you're getting roughly 67 patches' worth of harvests. That makes an average of 40k profit/patch, which--taking into account that 10% of patches return a seed worth 80k and 20% of patches are the Trollheim patch--is perfectly reasonable. Zaaps also mentioned adding a little bit of time onto those runs and collecting cactus spines as well, but I don't know if that's supposed to be included.

Yes, add profits of cactus and limps, also add profits from the scroll of life.

You're not actually "farming" in the 70 minutes it takes for herbs to grow. You're only spending about 5 minutes of actual farming when you pick herbs.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

That doesn't explain HOW to get 2.7 mil PER HOUR with JUST SNAPDRAGON.. but then zaaps1 say OOPS I forgot to add limpwurt roots and cactus, nm.

ventuzz.png