8 Things Gay People Can't Do

Romy

If religion never existed, I don't believe the United States would even be here, rendering any discussion of our gay policy pointless. In fact, I'm fairly sure human society would never have reached its current state. As much as I hate to admit it, religion keeps the lives of many people intact. Religion has also prompted many wars throughout history, and hopefully you all realize that wars are arguably the primary reason for advancements in technology (interstate highway systems and the internet, for example, both originated for military purposes).

What about all of the advancements of Classical Greece? They had religion, yet because of it they developed the idea of humanism, which let them actually be useful by living out their lives. They tried to be the best they could be, before they died and went to a miserable afterlife. As far as I can tell, atheism would do the job just as well in regards to "carpe diem" and whatnot.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't assume what the world would be like without religion, that's just too unpredictable, especially since religion goes wayyyyy back. That's like saying where we would be without gravity.

Well, I was hoping this would be like an article on Cracked. Instead I get disappointed by some serious [cabbage]. Meh.

The website the article is on is similar to cracked, only without the funny.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of reasonable people wouldn't stay where they're hated. All it takes is common sense, really.

You live in Israel.

I'm not hated inside Israel though. And I doubt there's 1 country in the world that isn't hated by some people.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of reasonable people wouldn't stay where they're hated. All it takes is common sense, really.

You live in Israel.

I'm not hated inside Israel though. And I doubt there's 1 country in the world that isn't hated by some people.

I'm sure a gay person won't be hated inside their own house, but outside they may be.

My point is that you put up with a certain amount of hate in your general area, and homosexuals are no different.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

You live in Israel.

I'm sure a gay person won't be hated inside their own house, but outside they may be.

My point is that you put up with a certain amount of hate in your general area, and homosexuals are no different.

But hatred towards Israel does not affect me, Romy, as a person. Just like hatred from California to NY doesn't affect the specific individuals (as individuals) of NY.

You live in Israel.

But hatred towards Israel does not affect me, Romy, as a person. Just like hatred from California to NY doesn't affect the specific individuals (as individuals) of NY.

I'd say it does.

I don't hate gay people. But if I did, I'd hate gay people, not the individual. I'd hate them because they are lumped into a group of "gay people" who I hate.

I'm sure the terrorists lobbing missiles into Israel don't hate Romy - but Romy is Jewish, so they hate you.

polvCwJ.gif

You live in Israel.

I'd say it does.

I don't hate gay people. But if I did, I'd hate gay people, not the individual. I'd hate them because they are lumped into a group of "gay people" who I hate.

I'm sure the terrorists lobbing missiles into Israel don't hate Romy - but Romy is Jewish, so they hate you.

That specific example is kind of off, because in my city it's safe.

But really, that analogy doesn't make much sense, simply because there are areas in which gays aren't socially discriminated against, which also accounts for emotional/physical danger. And that's exactly my point.

That specific exmample is kind of off, because in my city it's safe.

But really, that analogy doesn't make much sense, simply because there are areas in which gays aren't socially discriminated against, which also accounts for emotional/physical danger. And that's exactly my point.

It's irrelevant. For example, a gay couple could live in an area near I live that's largely immigrant based (more conservative in general) I doubt they'd be in physical danger but they'd still be hated.

The point I'm trying to make is it's unlikely a gay couple could find any location where no one whatsoever would be biased against them.

polvCwJ.gif

It's irrelevant. For example, a gay couple could live in an area near I live that's largely immigrant based (more conservative in general) I doubt they'd be in physical danger but they'd still be hated.

The point I'm trying to make is it's unlikely a gay couple could find any location where no one whatsoever would be biased against them.

But that's a problem with homophobia as it is with racism. Would you say Jews shouldn't adopt out of fear of hatred for their children? (And racism exists, by the ton.)

But that's a problem with homophobia as it is with racism. Would you say Jews shouldn't adopt out of fear of hatred for their children? (And racism exists, by the ton.)

When did I say anything like that?

polvCwJ.gif

When did I say anything like that?

That's what the argument is all about, isn't it? That gays are hated by many people, and thus their children will have tough lives?

I do take your word for it. I firmly believe that homosexuality, like any other trait, is a product of nurture rather than nature. If your upbringing leads you to be attracted to men, so be it. It doesn't mean I need to view it as something that's acceptable or I believe to be right. As I've said before, we all have a choice, to act or not to act on our feelings.

You may attempt to prove to me that homosexuality is a product of nature, that it is something present in our genes. If this is the case, I will wait for scientists to isolate it but I have some interesting thoughts on the issue.

Sorry, but you have quite a poor understanding of evolutionary biology if you think scientists are going to isolate a "gay gene". Behavioural patterns as complex as social interaction are mediated by a lot of genes acting together in different ways, it's not necessarily like it's a gene that either works and makes you straight or doesn't and makes you gay. The fact that you have degrees of gayness should also make this obvious. It may well be a combination of nature and nurture, but to say it's only nurture because of your pet theory is silly. And there's no reason why it being controlled by upbringing would make it any more of a choice anyway, upbringing (nurture) can strongly maths ability at a later stage of life, but it's not like that's a choice that you make to have the ability or not.

There are homosexual people with mental disabilities, including autism, so your theory isn't much good. And there are also animals that display homosexual behaviour, I'm not sure how an animal would raise it's young in such a way that would make them gay. Either way, what the heck are the "laws of nature" anyway and what do they matter in deciding what's right and wrong? For almost every "law" in biology you can find an exception. Pretty much the only thing in biology that can be considered a fundamental theory or law is the theory of evolution, which describes the differential survival of alleles in a population. If you're going to base your morality on the "laws of nature" then roll out the eugenics camps....

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

That's not my argument, I'm merely arguing that sometimes people live in places they are hated.

Read back and tell me and yourself why you argue for that.

That's not my argument, I'm merely arguing that sometimes people live in places they are hated.

Yes, because you posted that people don't live in places they are hated :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you have quite a poor understanding of evolutionary biology if you think scientists are going to isolate a "gay gene". Behavioural patterns as complex as social interaction are mediated by a lot of genes acting together in different ways, it's not necessarily like it's a gene that either works and makes you straight or doesn't and makes you gay. The fact that you have degrees of gayness should also make this obvious. It may well be a combination of nature and nurture, but to say it's only nurture because of your pet theory is silly. And there's no reason why it being controlled by upbringing would make it any more of a choice anyway, upbringing (nurture) can strongly maths ability at a later stage of life, but it's not like that's a choice that you make to have the ability or not.

Degrees of gayness? You're either attracted to the same sex or you're not. Degrees of gayness are merely how that attraction manifests itself in your personality.

There are homosexual people with mental disabilities, including autism, so your theory isn't much good.

Point me to them.

And there are also animals that display homosexual behaviour, I'm not sure how an animal would raise it's young in such a way that would make them gay.

I realize this. Animals hump humans, fire hydrants, trees, etc. If you're going to argue that something with no comprehension of greater existence gives homosexual behavior legitimacy then I'm done arguing.

Either way, what the heck are the "laws of nature" anyway and what do they matter in deciding what's right and wrong? For almost every "law" in biology you can find an exception. Pretty much the only thing in biology that can be considered a fundamental theory or law is the theory of evolution, which describes the differential survival of alleles in a population. If you're going to base your morality on the "laws of nature" then roll out the eugenics camps....

I don't see why the "laws of nature" make me in favour of eugenics?

polvCwJ.gif

Degrees of gayness? You're either attracted to the same sex or you're not. Degrees of gayness are merely how that attraction manifests itself in your personality.

I disagree. May I point you to the Kinsey Scale?

I disagree. May I point you to the Kinsey Scale?

How was this testing done? It didn't say anywhere in the article.

polvCwJ.gif

So people who have done nothing wrong, being gay, should be punished for it? They shouldn't be allowed to adopt because the society around them is bigoted and homophobic? The kids should go parentless, the parents should go childless, all because the society around them hates them for no reason. I see.

Yes, because you posted that people don't live in places they are hated :rolleyes:

No, I said most wouldn't live there, for obvious reasons, as an answer to Soma's assumption that children to gay parenst are going to have a lousy childhood, supposedly as a result of the way their environment will react to their parents being gay.

So people who have done nothing wrong, being gay, should be punished for it? They shouldn't be allowed to adopt because the society around them is bigoted and homophobic? The kids should go parentless, the parents should go childless, all because the society around them hates them for no reason. I see.

Their "logic" behind it is: kids with gay parents have social issues about it.

However, it's more logical to assume that those without parents at all will suffer more social issues, and other issues.