Are you a Quake person or Unreal person?

Harakiri

While I know these games are ten years old, Unreal and Quake games are still classics. Well, the old ones anyway, Unreal Tournament 3 and Quake for the 360 sucked. This is a pretty old question and back in the late nineties it was a fairly large one for PC gamers. Are you a Quake person, or an Unreal person?

The problem with this question though is that I am conflicted between the two. I am playing the original Quake right now and find that the level brevity, the environments, and the enemies look so much better than Unreal. Unreal is a good game, don't get me wrong, but Quake feels a bit better and isn't as confusing with the levels. While both Unreal and Quake feel like they could have come from the same guy, Quake is a bit better for me. Unreal has some great levels and maps, but Quake feels a lot more like one of my favorite FPS games, Doom.

Then we get to the arena shooters. Quake 3 is good once again, but Unreal Tournament I think whoops it up and down. I like Unreal Tournaments maps better and it's online is great.

While on the subject Unreal 2 was not a very good game I thought. Unreal Tournament 2004 was decent, but UT3 was pretty bad.

Quake went downhill as well.

So, for arena shooting, I go Unreal Tournament, for just a plain old shooter, I go Quake. Any other opinions on this subject, or is this something I should have asked ten years ago? I don't even know how relevant these games are to the newer generation of Halo and Call of Duty players. I mean, I am that generation, but I enjoy these games much more.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I've never played Quake itself but I've played several games that I think used the Quake 3 engine and they all looked and played well. A couple of old Star Wars/Star Trek games I have use it and they look nice considering how old they are. Same with the Unreal engine, or Unreal engine 2/3 at least, GoW, Bioshock and Arkham Asylum all look really nice.

I don't even know how relevant these games are to the newer generation of Halo and Call of Duty players.

CoD1, UO, and possibly CoD2 are built on the Quake engine. I bought CoD1/UO in about 2002/3 and they looked great for the time. So without the Quake 3 engine CoD might never have got off the ground, though really I'd say it only really took off with CoD4 which didn't use it.

I'm an Unreal fan. 2004 was a great game.

See, I never really enjoyed some of the modes that were introduced to 2004. I liked attack/defend or whatever it was called, especially the train level. That was great. But the one where you have to shoot the ball through the portal wasn't great. I liked the pretty basic stuff in Unreal Tournament. CTF, DM, TDM, KOTH. That's all I need.

Online, UT2004 is fun, but it seems like everyone plays Facing Worlds or Two Worlds or whatever that one is called. I haven't played UT in quite a while, I need to play it again.

It does make me sad that UT3 doesn't have a bigger fan base. They really need something like a "UT2011" to bring it back.

I just did not enjoy Unreal Tournament 3. I am trying to get a copy of it just to try it out again, give it another shot, but I agree with most people who have played it. It was weak. The story should not have been there. The hoverboard was a terrible addition. I hated most of the maps. And all of my least favorite game types came back from UT2004. I do think they should make a new UT, and I think Cliff Blezinski (However you spell it) should head the production staff and try to recreate what made the original great. Smaller maps, a much more basic set of games, and get rid of having the stupid story about the Skaarj and such.

Probaly both, UT 2004 is probaly the first shooter that I played a lot, including multiplayer.

But at school we played Q3A alot, and I started playing that online to so I could get better then my friend who would always win by about 50 frags to the next closest having 20. So I played online a bit (freeze tag mod)and started getting pretty good.

Now I play Quake Live, which being entirely free I can afford (though it's very harsh on my bad connection...matters alot in quake). Theres something about playing players that have played the game for maybe even 10 years that makes being good at it a real challenge and good fun too..

I didn't really like Quake 4 I have to admit, thought Unreal Tournament 3 (although a different sort of game) was better.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

I personally find Quake engine better for more fun play, and unreal more serious play. Although, judging from the games I've played on Quake engine (Quakes, Wolfenstein ET, A few others that I can't remember atm) and the games I've played on unreal (Americas Army mainly, GoW, Etc) I personally find the Quake engine a lot more "fun and action packed", whereas I would prefer unreal for more realistic, tactical shooters.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

Quake all the way I've played every iteration of the series (except quake wars) pretty obsessively at one point or another.

I think that the single player in quake games is my favourite fps expereince ever, and the multiplayer in quake 3... Well, it speaks for itself doesn't it.

Tk5SF.png

I don't care much for the SP of either but for multiplayer UT is still my favourite :D

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.