Make the Runescape Community Look Cleverer at Only $11.95!

DeeKay

The fact that some of you know the word and there for able correct people means the initial communication was a success.

This is the internet, not a project or a resume. We are only communicating not handing out grades.

the Internet grammar natzi is the worst of the worst and there is a special place in hell for them.

Deal with it, some people spell [cabbage] wrong.

QFT. Summed up the whole problem perfectly.

I need to know how summarise my opinion into a short, to-the point post like yours.

I pull out like, 1000-2000 word essays just trying to explain the entire problem >_>;

I r not good at summarising ^_^;

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those people who thinks that those players which have bad grammar and spelling, and do not suffer from a known condition, should rot eternally in hell.

Correcting those who cannot/will not use appropriate grammar in a condescending tone is no way to solve the problem.

If you understood the concept, the best idea would be to give them advice on how to communicate their idea better in the future.

Example:

Instead of saying...

"Wow, your life sucks/will suck because you can't differentiate between then and than."

We should say...

"[so-n-so], it would be a good idea for you to start correctly using then/than, as you won't lose brownie points in the future when you make silly mistakes typing documents for the [Mensa Society] or [your employer]."

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar - and the amount of Runescape players using erroneous grammar is quite akin to the vast amount of flies.

Someone was making fun of my rs outfit once.

Them: "Your wearing a stupid outfit"

Me: "You're*"

Them: "What?"

Me: "It's you're, as in you are. Not your in the possessive case."

-they shut up for about a minute-

Them: "noob."

should've bought them this poster :rolleyes:

mostorganized2.jpg

4cbc39f2_e406_2d21.gif

The fact that some of you know the word and there for able correct people means the initial communication was a success.

This is the internet, not a project or a resume. We are only communicating not handing out grades.

the Internet grammar natzi is the worst of the worst and there is a special place in hell for them.

If a person has the ability and knowledge to spell and use correct grammar, they should. Spelling things incorrectly makes you look like an idiot.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I don't mind it really that people type words differently on the internet. When I see someone struggling to spell many words correctly, and they are friendly, not hostile, I tell them how to write the words correctly. To those noobs who go to places only to swear (like on Runescape), I just tell them to "lern2speel".

There is one thing that really annoys me though. I met many english (read: from England) friends on Runescape and when I use words like your/yours/you're/they're/their, I get weird replies all the time. It's as if they don't understand the differences themselves and the conversation goes all weird for a minute or two. Sometimes, I feel like facepalming because of this. Their first language is English and they come from the country where the english language was first used and yet they managed to mess up their own language.

Fighterman_X.png

If a person has the ability and knowledge to spell and use correct grammar, they should. Spelling things incorrectly makes you look like an idiot.

And why do they look like an idiot?

I don't mind it really that people type words differently on the internet. When I see someone struggling to spell many words correctly, and they are friendly, not hostile, I tell them how to write the words correctly. To those noobs who go to places only to swear (like on Runescape), I just tell them to "lern2speel".

There is one thing that really annoys me though. I met many english (read: from England) friends on Runescape and when I use words like your/yours/you're/they're/their, I get weird replies all the time. It's as if they don't understand the differences themselves and the conversation goes all weird for a minute or two. Sometimes, I feel like facepalming because of this. Their first language is English and they come from the country where the english language was first used and yet they managed to mess up their own language.

Simply because you come from an place where something originated doesn't mean it's imbued into your genes. I may come from America, but if you ask me to make a Ford focus I couldn't. And no, this isn't a far out analogy, language is a very complex thing, and to get a grasp on it requires a great deal of intelligence. However, simply choosing to not use grammar for whatever reason doesn't mean you are devoid of grammar at all, and is silly to think so.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Y do I like 2 talk like dis 4? Cos im a hippy.

U government con trolld conformist r jus mad

Jus think bout it da govrnment controls da skools who teach grammr der4 ur governmnt con trolld

But seriously I do not care if someone uses 'u' or 'r' just as long as I understand them.

I think this is one of the downsides of technology. Most people have become reliant on spell-check that people are not learning like they have before (look,cover, write and check), but simply right click and replace the word when they see a red underline. In the long term it does not help you learn how to spell. Which is probably why you see a lot of misspelled words in RuneScape.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation

The one word that really bugs me is "lieing." I guess "dieing" is bad also.

"Barrow" when the player means "borrow" doesn't bug you?

All of these bug me to death. Surprisingly, most of the people who speak like that have English as their first language.

v7hblz.jpg

#3325 to 99 Smithing #4332 to 99 Herblore