Flood control

Flood control is an annoying feature, probably the only thing that I dislike about the IPB forums. Simply getting rid of it wouldn't work, as it allows spammers to post ads rapidly. I propose:

45 second flood control is in place for all users with less than 100 posts.

5 second flood control is in place for everyone else (to prevent browsers from double-posting).

45 second flood control enabled for those who abuse the system.

Im not familiar with IPB code, but I assume this wouldn't be too hard to do.

Support:

TheKingdomOfSpork

If they abuse the system they're probably banned/have posting rights revoked, just saying.

But personally I have found it kind of annoying, but really if you remove it, what will you gain? Ability to go into every topic saying one word, etc? The only place I can see that being viable is in the Wars & Run-ins forum, and even so it is a bit excessive to be posting on every topic on the page. :razz: Just play RS or do something else while posting which is what I do.

j0xPu5R.png

If they abuse the system they're probably banned/have posting rights revoked, just saying.

But personally I have found it kind of annoying, but really if you remove it, what will you gain? Ability to go into every topic saying one word, etc? The only place I can see that being viable is in the Wars & Run-ins forum, and even so it is a bit excessive to be posting on every topic on the page. :razz: Just play RS or do something else while posting which is what I do.

The problem is you can't even use the full editor or reply until the 45 seconds is up, so you have to wait for the 45 seconds to be up, then type your post.

Double posting is not an issue, the forum will notice if you post the same thing in a short period of time. I am not really for the first one because I don't have a high post count. I think it should be removed alltogether, if a person is creating trouble they can be banned and there posts removed, its not like it is hard to ban someone (providing that an admin is online)

[Falador tavern]

support list isn't necessary but i support fully

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

This isn't specific to IPB, this was the same way on phpBB as well.

This issue has also been suggested and rehashed several times, the answer from the admins has always been the same: flood control stays, and frankly I agree.

You should be able to use the full editor however, that's just because IPB displays the warning differently from how phpBB did, which I admit I find annoying.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I'll bring it up with the admin team, odds are it will stay the same. The thing is, it has been perfected through years of staff watching the traits of the users. Sadly, the few bad ruin it for the few, it's there to prevent the REALLY bad users. :(

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

The administrative team is going to leave it as is.

It was actually lowered from 60 seconds -> 45 when we changed forum software. We have found this time setting to be the best so far. :)

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Would there be any way for the error to show up within the full reply box instead of before it opens up? I know I had that feature on another IPB3 forum, just can't remember which one.

Apparently not. That's the only annoying thing about the current flood limit. Peter said we can't change that.

Most forums I know have an admin coder.

As do we, as well as several crew members.

The issue isn't that it's impossible to do - the issue is rather that they way IPB handles flood control, the changes requested would require significant modification, which would take more time then the very few, volunteer coders on staff have at their disposal.

I'm not aware of IPB's terms of service, but it's also possible that extensive modifications void the license terms and therefore IPB would cut off support. I don't know if that's actually the case though.

polvCwJ.gif

Most forums I know have an admin coder.

Just adding onto what Y_Guy has already said - we do have an admin coder as well as several crew members who are great coders. I'm sure just about anything COULD be done through modifications, but our coders have much more important things to do than code small annoyances like this. They have a never-ending list of things that need to be done, and only some of which are clearly visible to the public eye. And on top of that, they do have lives outside of Tip.it as well ;)

It would be nice if we could accommodate every request like this but it simply isn't practical. It's a lot of work for a small change and our coders' efforts are more needed elsewhere.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Would atleast reducing it to 30 seconds be an option?

We discussed the possibility and the admin team feels that it isn't necessary. As n_odie stated, we already lowered it once when we switched from phpBB to IPB. We do not feel that it needs to be lowered again :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I am quite happy with the way with it is, less than 45 seconds seems a bit too low to put in time for a nice discussion contribuiting post.

This, but also you need to think as if a spammer got access to an account. A spambot with no flood limit can wreak havoc on boards. Having the flood limit by default makes it easy for mods to keep up.

polvCwJ.gif

I am quite happy with the way with it is, less than 45 seconds seems a bit too low to put in time for a nice discussion contribuiting post.

This, but also you need to think as if a spammer got access to an account. A spambot with no flood limit can wreak havoc on boards. Having the flood limit by default makes it easy for mods to keep up.

A spambot causing real trouble can be dealt with through mass-hiding posts. No more then 15 seconds or so is necessary to prevent major spam flooding.

That requires a Moderator / Super Moderator / Administrator being active, spotting it and taking them out pretty much instantly. If they post viruses or shocking/offensive images, that can be spread around the forums very fast.

Those of us wo have dealt with those situations with the 1 minute timers, can tell you that it can be bad enough. 15 seconds is not an option right now, and as Tripsis said; the Administrators have discussed this very recently (because of this topic, actually). You are stuck with 45 seconds for now, changes might occur in the future. :)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

My main feeling on it is that you will struggle to make full constructive posts in a topic in less than 45 seconds. Not counting finding the topic and reading prior posts.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The problem here is that you can't start to reply until the limit is up. This is bad for people who have phone/device browsers that don't support quick edit, or for when you want to reply to a post.

We realize this, however as said already that's a basic function of IPB that can't be easily changed.

polvCwJ.gif