Philosophy, Riddles and complete mind[bleep]s

Sam

The concept of infinity is beyond human understanding... These videos are interesting-

In the videos, they describe the dimensions, up to the tenth. Why stop at ten? Because that's all humans are capable of imagining, let alone comprehending. Just because we can't comprehend something, or even imagine it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or can't happen.

When you think about it, the universe is a paradox. Why? Because everything has to have started from something. We supposedly came from the big bang, but what started that? Even if we somehow figure out how the universe began, how do we know what caused it in the first place? and before that? and before that? It goes back into and infinite line of causation, thus, infinity must exist. If it didn't, it would be impossible for anything to exist at all... Unless it was caused by something without a cause, stopping the chain of infinite causation. But that would be beyond human comprehension, in other words, infinity. But it's supposedly impossible for infinity to exist. Thus the paradox.

All I know is that there is something beyond human comprehension... What do I believe that something is? God.

28jkzuv.jpg2a9b8sy.jpgwqx853.jpg

gridblack.png

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The concept of infinity is beyond human understanding... These videos are interesting-

In the videos, they describe the dimensions, up to the tenth. Why stop at ten? Because that's all humans are capable of imagining, let alone comprehending. Just because we can't comprehend something, or even imagine it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or can't happen.

When you think about it, the universe is a paradox. Why? Because everything has to have started from something. We supposedly came from the big bang, but what started that? Even if we somehow figure out how the universe began, how do we know what caused it in the first place? and before that? and before that? It goes back into and infinite line of causation, thus, infinity must exist. If it didn't, it would be impossible for anything to exist at all... Unless it was caused by something without a cause, stopping the chain of infinite causation. But that would be beyond human comprehension, in other words, infinity. But it's supposedly impossible for infinity to exist. Thus the paradox.

All I know is that there is something beyond human comprehension... What do I believe that something is? God.

Hm, I see your point. Then there's somethings out of God's comprehension, which is more Double Gods. Then after then are Triple Gods, and so forth until...well forever.

I like this guys' thinking.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

EDIT: ^ Er... That's not exactly what I meant. I meant the concept of infinity in it's entirety (Whether it embodies dimensions, existences, etc.) is what I think God is.

That would make God all knowing, all powerful, etc. As those attributes would have to come along with the concept of infinity.

(P.S.- I'm Christian, and I've been trying to find an acceptable scientific explanation for God. I'm not saying my theory is correct, it's just what I've come up with as of now.)

gridblack.png

God is infinity. Then god is everywhere and everything. God can not be correctly labeled with words, for how can we label infinity correctly if it is beyond our comprehension? God is that nothing, that oneness. God can not be a higher being, because he is the being. He is not higher nor lower because infinity has no boundaries. You do not need scientifical proof, because what science does is explain and label, and this can not be explained nor labeled. One can not test infinity. Like I said, for something to exist nothing had to be there first. That nothing to you is god, I just like to call it nothing, other people like to call it energy, but all the labels are equally wrong, infinity can not have a true label.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

EDIT: ^ Er... That's not exactly what I meant. I meant the concept of infinity in it's entirety (Whether it embodies dimensions, existences, etc.) is what I think God is.

That would make God all knowing, all powerful, etc. As those attributes would have to come along with the concept of infinity.

(P.S.- I'm Christian, and I've been trying to find an acceptable scientific explanation for God. I'm not saying my theory is correct, it's just what I've come up with as of now.)

Wait wait wait, then if we can't be all powerful why does God be? If there's infinity as you said, then there's ALWAYS a being more wise and powerful than our God.

Example:

Bacteria -> Certain animals -> Humans -> Christ God -> His God -> His' his God -> His' his his God -> etc.

No? Stopping at Christ God just makes no sense and plus not including kissing his ass too much.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The question is, WHEN do we exist?

kazmahalfsize.png

Wait wait wait, then if we can't be all powerful why does God be? If there's infinity as you said, then there's ALWAYS a being more wise and powerful than our God.

Example:

Bacteria -> Certain animals -> Humans -> Christ God -> His God -> His' his God -> His' his his God -> etc.

No? Stopping at Christ God just makes no sense and plus not including kissing his ass too much.

If there is infinity, then there is no more wise or powerful, you can not have more than infinity. Infinity is everywhere and everything. You are god, and so is everything else.

Now. There is only now.

Now. There is only now.

Infinity is, well infinity. How long has it been since we started "existing" and what point of "infinity" are we at?

(rhetorical question obviously)

kazmahalfsize.png

Now. There is only now.

Infinity is, well infinity. How long has it been since we started "existing" and what point of "infinity" are we at?

(rhetorical question obviously)

Infinity can not begin or end. We are at the "now" point.

Example:

If there is infinity, then there is no more wise or powerful, you can not have more than infinity. Infinity is everywhere and everything. You are god, and so is everything else.

But why does ONE single entity know everything? We know a tiny fraction, then BAM all-knowing God? Wouldn't there be limits to his own knowledge (since there's an infinite amounts of it) and thus he will have a God of his own, who knows more than him, and that new God has another, etc, forever and ever?

siggy3s.jpg

Example:

But why does ONE single entity know everything? We know a tiny fraction, then BAM all-knowing God? Wouldn't there be limits to his own knowledge (since there's an infinite amounts of it) and thus he will have a God of his own, who knows more than him, and that new God has another, etc, forever and ever?

It is incorrect to call god all-knowing, he is as much all-knowing as non-knowing. You contrast one single entity with "we", but that "one" is everything. Its we ,you, I, everything is one. All one. You can not label or describe nothingness can you? It is infinite, as much knowledgeable as un-knowledgeable.

Philosophical question(s): What's south of the south pole? What's before the beginning? What's after the end? What is timelessness?

Nothing, nothing, nothing, and nothing.

Win post.

Whether or not there is a God in the equation, reality being part of an intelligent omnipotent beings will or just something that has always existed for some apparent reason is something beyond my ability to comprehend. Still with this in mind, it is easier to beleive that this came about on its own or has always been there then to imagine a God has always been there to create it, if that makes sense.

Yes, because naturally if someone says god created everything you ask: who created god? The response I often get is "nothing". So to me it seems like the nothing is before the God. Like you said before, there doesn't have to be a middle man. It makes sense if something came out of nothing, but if you say something came out of something that came out of nothing...then why are you worshiping the "something" that in essence is nothing, like everything else?

Whether or not there is a God in the equation, reality being part of an intelligent omnipotent beings will or just something that has always existed for some apparent reason is something beyond my ability to comprehend. Still with this in mind, it is easier to beleive that this came about on its own or has always been there then to imagine a God has always been there to create it, if that makes sense.

Yes, because naturally if someone says god created everything you ask: who created god? The response I often get is "nothing". So to me it seems like the nothing is before the God. Like you said before, there doesn't have to be a middle man. It makes sense if something came out of nothing, but if you say something came out of something that came out of nothing...then why are you worshiping the "something" that in essence is nothing, like everything else?

...because something can't come from nothing. It's physically impossible for something to come from nothing. Something must have always existed for it to come from something else, something beyond time, beyond our comprehension. Either that or there is an infinite cycle of causation. Either way infinity has to exist.

gridblack.png

...because something can't come from nothing. It's physically impossible for something to come from nothing. Something must have always existed for it to come from something else, something beyond time, beyond our comprehension. Either that or there is an infinite cycle of causation. Either way infinity has to exist.

And that something must have come from nothing. "Nothing" is also beyond our logical comprehension. "Nothing" is infinity, and that is god ;) Read the other posts I replied to yours.

And that something must have come from nothing. "Nothing" is also beyond our logical comprehension. "Nothing" is infinity, and that is god ;) Read the other posts I replied to yours.

Nothing is a lack of matter/energy. Infinity is never ending matter/dimensions/energy/cycles of causation a/o a being. They're opposites, if anything. I can imagine and comprehend a vacuum. I cannot comprehend something that never ends.

gridblack.png

Nothing is a lack of matter/energy. Infinity is never ending matter/dimensions/energy/cycles of causation a/o a being. They're opposites, if anything. I can imagine and comprehend a vacuum. I cannot comprehend something that never ends.

See, you can't comprehend nothingness... you see it as a vacuum, which is still something. How about infinite nothingness?

[hide]

See, you can't comprehend nothingness... you see it as a vacuum, which is still something. How about infinite nothingness?

[/hide]

A (True, not partial)vacuum is a part of a space which has no matter in it. It isn't "something" it's a word to describe the lack of any matter. I can imagine an atom. The nucleus, and electron cloud. Then I imagine it being removed. No atoms. Nothing.

Infinite nothingness? I cannot comprehend it, because it's infinite, not because of the nothingness.

gridblack.png

[hide]

[/hide]

A (True, not partial)vacuum is a part of a space which has no matter in it. It isn't "something" it's a word to describe the lack of any matter. I can imagine an atom. The nucleus, and electron cloud. Then I imagine it being removed. No atoms. Nothing.

Infinite nothingness? I cannot comprehend it, because it's infinite, not because of the nothingness.

We are talking about two different nothings here. You are talking about space which has no matter in it, I am trying to emphasize the nothing even beyond our comprehension of "space". Nothing had to be there for space to be there. As soon as you label "nothing" it is already only relatively true. Even "nothing" is a false label for nothing, there is no correct label for it. In essence an atom is as much as nothing as a vacuum.

Infinite Nothingness is surely beyond our comprehension as well, thats why I gave up trying to comprehend it and gave into just experiencing it.

[hide]

We are talking about two different nothings here. You are talking about space which has no matter in it, I am trying to emphasize the nothing even beyond our comprehension of "space". Nothing had to be there for space to be there. As soon as you label "nothing" it is already only relatively true. Even "nothing" is a false label for nothing, there is no correct label for it. In essence an atom is as much as nothing as a vacuum.

Infinite Nothingness is surely beyond our comprehension as well, thats why I gave up trying to comprehend it and gave into just experiencing it.

[/hide]

Space is defined as "the unlimited or incalculably great three-dimensional realm or expanse in which all material objects are located and all events occur." Link.

If you remove space from something, no objects or events can happen/exist. It can't just have objects popping into existence, because it would cease to be nothing. If you have objects, space exists along with it, because space is just measurements of objects relative to each other. Obviously nothing (without space) does not exist, because objects obviously exist relative to each other. Or at least, in this dimension it doesn't exist. What you describe as nothing sounds like an "anti-dimension" of sorts... And yes, the nothing you describe cannot be fathomed by humans, because the very act of trying to imagine no objects or energy is something of itself. Our very existence makes nothing... Well, null and void.

gridblack.png

yes, the nothing you describe cannot be fathomed by humans, because the very act of trying to imagine no objects or energy is something of itself. Our very existence makes nothing... Well, null and void.

Exactly. Now what was it we were discussing again? :)

yes, the nothing you describe cannot be fathomed by humans, because the very act of trying to imagine no objects or energy is something of itself. Our very existence makes nothing... Well, null and void.

Exactly. Now what was it we were discussing again? :)

The origin of the Universe. Which I said was infinity, and you said was nothing. You implied that "nothing" is incomprehensible, just like infinity. Therefore it must be infinity. They are opposites.

The definition of infinity is "(symbolically represented by ∞) is a concept in mathematics and philosophy that refers to a quantity without bound or end. People have developed various ideas throughout history about the nature of infinity. In mathematics, infinity is defined in the context of set theory." Link

"...a quantity without bound or end..." The nothing you described is unquantifiable, and is therefore not included in the definition of infinity.

Not to mention the fact you have no evidence to support your claim that everything came from nothing. I have stated that due to the nature of cause and effect, something must have existed to have caused something else. Just on an infinite scale. The concept of cause and effect can be comprehended, the infinite scale of it cannot.

gridblack.png