Creation of the Tidbits forum

I got an idea for a new forum: Tidbits. This will function just like Zybez's Tips Forum. Here you can post little pieces of information. These "tips" aren't detailed enough to be a guide, and not really enough to be in general discussion. It's basically a place to put interesting ideas or things most people don't know.

To post a tidbit you must include a poll to gauge how others liked the tidbit. Zybez has likes/dislikes thumbs, but we can use polls. The poll format must look like this:

Question: Did you enjoy this tidbit?

Choice 1: Yes

Choice 2: No

All polls must be made public.

Rules in this forum:

You cannot post things from Jagex's recent updates, or "In other news...". You cannot copy a tip from Zybez and post it here; be creative and come up with your own tidbit instead of stealing another person's tip from Zybez.

To create better relationships with other fan sites, there could be a stickied thread labeled "Tidbits from other fan sites". Here on the first post lists useful tips that have been posted on other sites, such as Zybez. Forum members can discuss how useful these tips from other sites are and can suggest new tips to be added to the first post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a forum like this could either be it's own forum, or be a subforum of Help & Advice or Archive of Wisdom. For example, I have an idea about how using extreme range pots can be cheaper than using regular range pots. Unfortunately, there is no where for me to put it at the moment. My information isn't really enough for it to be generally discussed, it isn't teaching someone how to do something so it isn't a guide, and I'm not asking for help so it doesn't belong in H&A.

What I don't quite understand is: what's the need to share tidbits of information like that when no one is actively seeking them? And if they are, why can't they just be posted in the H&A forum in their respective threads? And how would you objectively judge if something came from 'another fansite' or not if you're not a forum user there? There's no way to tell. I'm not a fan of the idea, much less a carbon copy of how it's run on another fansite...But that's just my (unwanted) tidbit, which is ironic, EDIT: and I'm in no way the last say in the matter, just chiming in :wink:

hzvjpwS.gif

Well to be honest, I like to read Zybez's tips. Some of them are actually useful. I object plagiarism, so I don't condone taking credit for using someone else's ideas. There is a way to tell who posted what first: check the post dates.

You don't actively seek the information. I'd be curious to see what other people have found out, so I look in Zybez's tips form. Woah, some new information I didn't know! That's useful to me. New information like this doesn't belong in H&A because you aren't asking any questions, nor are you giving any answers. They're more of a "did you know?" type comments. It basically is information that the general population isn't aware of.

So where would I put my information then, about "how extreme range pots can be cheaper than regular range pots"? Currently I have no idea where to post it.

They're more of a "did you know?" type comments.

You can submit things like that to Racheya, who runs the Tipit Times. They come out on nearly a weekly basis.

That's useful to me. New information like this doesn't belong in H&A because you aren't asking any questions, nor are you giving any answers.

So where would I put my information then, about "how extreme range pots can be cheaper than regular range pots"? Currently I have no idea where to post it.

There are tons of threads asking how to train x stat at any given time that would more than love to benefit from handy tips like that. And many of these 'tips' are already covered in detail in specialized guides. One that comes to mind is Grimy's exp spreadsheets, which neatly displays all that information at the click of a button.

I just still don't think it's practical. Why post information just for the heck of it if it's not being turned to a purpose? For postcount, lulz, etc? Meh.

hzvjpwS.gif

This has nothing to do with efficiency, training, questing, or any of that. If you're so adamant about post count then don't give any. This is just about sharing information. I'll give examples from Zybez that I found interesting:

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1415242-is-bork-really-worth-your-time/ (Is bork worth your time)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1363427-an-alternative-to-robins/ (alternative to robin hats)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1388342-how-to-incorporate-skilling-and-pking/ (incorporating skilling and pking)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1423657-pvp-welfare-tip/ (use frog leather boots instead of snakeskin boots)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1425635-something-i-bet-you-didnt-know/ (Void + Barrows Gloves provides a better Strength bonus than max strength)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1387306-dag-kings-claws-of-guthix-vs-staff-of-light-fire-surge/ (DKs - CoG vs SOL fire surge)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1426577-another-item-to-pick-up-during-76king/ (another item to pick up during 76king)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1425703-better-than-arma-helm/ (Better than arma helm: morrigan coifs, alching after ~55 mins)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1421088-logging-in-quicker/ (logging in quicker)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1418199-saving-an-inventory-space-for-godwars/ (use god arrows in GWD)

As you can see, all of these are information that I bet you didn't know. None of these are as lengthy as a full-on guide. None of these are asking questions and need to be placed in H&A. None of these have explicit discussion value other than "I liked/disliked it". None of these state, "Oh, this is how you train this skill!" And none of these currently have any place in the Tip.It forums.

So, like I ask again, where can I put my information about how ext. range is cheaper than regular range pots?

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1415242-is-bork-really-worth-your-time/ (Is bork worth your time)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1363427-an-alternative-to-robins/ (alternative to robin hats)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1388342-how-to-incorporate-skilling-and-pking/ (incorporating skilling and pking)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1423657-pvp-welfare-tip/ (use frog leather boots instead of snakeskin boots)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1425635-something-i-bet-you-didnt-know/ (Void + Barrows Gloves provides a better Strength bonus than max strength)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1387306-dag-kings-claws-of-guthix-vs-staff-of-light-fire-surge/ (DKs - CoG vs SOL fire surge)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1426577-another-item-to-pick-up-during-76king/ (another item to pick up during 76king)

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1425703-better-than-arma-helm/ (Better than arma helm: morrigan coifs, alching after ~55 mins)

As you can see, all of these are information that I bet you didn't know. None of these are as lengthy as a full-on guide. None of these are asking questions and need to be placed in H&A. None of these have explicit discussion value other than "I liked/disliked it". None of these state, "Oh, this is how you train this skill!" And none of these currently have any place in the Tip.It forums.

All of these are also detailed during guides or common sense. :/ And if people didn't know them, they'd ask. EDIT: It's worth mentioning that in some of those tips, the amount of research and comparisons they've done are better used in guides than 'tips'. It's just redundant.

So, like I ask again, where can I put my information about how ext. range is cheaper than regular range pots?

Nowhere, because no one needs information on it. It's already covered in comprehensive guides that people look for to answer their questions. >_<'

hzvjpwS.gif

Common sense? You knew that you can save 10 seconds when switching worlds? You knew that when selecting an 3-letter code in the fairy rings that spamming the teleport button will allow you to save 1-3 seconds of the dials rotating? Where are the guides for this? Where is the information? I certainly did not know this. Can you even call 2 sentences a guide?

And show me the guide showing proof that ext. range pots are cheaper than reg. range pots. I'm sure not everyone has thought/realized this.

And if people didn't know them, they'd ask.

...that people look for to answer their questions. >_<'

How are you able to ask questions when you are oblivious that that sort of thing is even possible? How can you ask "hey, how can I save time when using fairy rings?" when you don't even know that it's possible in the first place?

Actually, lots of those topics do have a place on our forums, either as a guide or in Help & Advice and maybe even general discussion (something like the Bork worth your time thing could make a good topic). Help and advice isn't just for asking for help, it's for providing advice too.

There is nothing wrong with posting such topics and I'd actually support a lot of topics like those. Although I do agree there's nowhere clearly defined for things like that, but posting it as guides would probably be your best bet. If it's more than just a couple of lines.

Actually, lots of those topics do have a place on our forums, either as a guide or in Help & Advice and maybe even general discussion (something like the Bork worth your time thing could make a good topic). Help and advice isn't just for asking for help, it's for providing advice too.

There is nothing wrong with posting such topics and I'd actually support a lot of topics like those. Although I do agree there's nowhere clearly defined for things like that, but posting it as guides would probably be your best bet. If it's more than just a couple of lines.

Well, my "idea" about ext. range isn't showing how to do something, it's just math and data to show something overlooked. Would the math still be worthy of being called a guide? If so, I'll leave my thread and go post my idea in the guides section.

Well, my "idea" about ext. range isn't showing how to do something, it's just math and data to show something overlooked. Would the math still be worthy of being called a guide? If so, I'll leave my thread and go post my idea in the guides section.

Without the exact contents of the post it's hard to tell. Something like that sounds like it'd belong in help and advice over guides though, maybe even general discussion so people could discuss why they do/don't use them etc.

It is hard without there being a clearly defined place to put such a topic but doing so could take away from other parts of the forum. But for that either general discussion or H&A, whatever you think it'd be best in really.

Without the exact contents of the post it's hard to tell. Something like that sounds like it'd belong in help and advice over guides though, maybe even general discussion so people could discuss why they do/don't use them etc.

It is hard without there being a clearly defined place to put such a topic but doing so could take away from other parts of the forum. But for that either general discussion or H&A, whatever you think it'd be best in really.

Well like you and I said, there's no real place for me to put this. I mean, you can't really discuss this at all. All you can say is "Woah, that's cool, I never thought about that", or "you're wrong, because your math is wrong". I believe general discussion is there to express your thoughts, opinions, and beliefs. My tip has no room for them, it's just math.

I also think it doesn't belong in H&A either. "Whether you need help or are offering help, all questions belong here." That forum is only for questions, or answering other people's questions. My tip isn't advice either, I'm not telling you whether one thing is better/faster than the other because you asked a question on efficiency. But if you "truly" believe I should post it in general discussion, let me know and I'll do it.

I actually kind of like this idea. I think either another subforum in the AOW called "Mini Guides" or "Tips" could work or if that's too much then even just a thread stickied in H&A for people to share small tips could be useful.

I'm game. We used to have a sticky in the General Guides forum where users posted tips and the author of the thread compiled the best ones and edited them into the first post. I have no idea what happened to that sticky. The author probably lost interest or left the forum so it died off. But while it was running, it seemed to be doing pretty well. So I think even just another sticky in that forum could be nice. It certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I also like this idea to be honest. It's different enough that I don't find it to fit any of our current forums. If we really wanted to get technical , though, it would go into help & advice (advice being the key word) but I feel it we just threw this into an already existing forum like H&A it would get overlook by many but possibly adding it as a subforum to the Archive of Wisdom would be ideal in my opinion and bring more attention to that forum as a whole. I wouldn't have much of a problem with users getting a post count for posting in the forum either because I feel there is potential for some positive discussions.

tFtfA.jpg

I'm game. We used to have a sticky in the General Guides forum where users posted tips and the author of the thread compiled the best ones and edited them into the first post. I have no idea what happened to that sticky. The author probably lost interest or left the forum so it died off. But while it was running, it seemed to be doing pretty well. So I think even just another sticky in that forum could be nice. It certainly wouldn't do any harm.

I like the idea of a sticky in either General Discussion or Help and Advice with the best tips being put into the first post. I don't really like the idea of a new forum/sub forum for it though.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I like the idea of a sticky in either General Discussion or Help and Advice with the best tips being put into the first post. I don't really like the idea of a new forum/sub forum for it though.

I don't think a sticky in general guides would work very well as not a whole lot of users visit there. Having a sticky in general would work well but there's too many stickies there. On top of that depending on exactly what it is it can generate quite a bit of discussion. I really see no problem with such topics being posted in General discussion providing they have enough detail, even then sometimes a two line post could generate pages of discussion depending on the subject.

I feel if we were to just allow people or begin to promote these kind of threads into the RS general discussion it would have to be introduced by a member of the staff to ensure that it won't get over run by spam and if that is the route that we want to take we can see how popular these become and then come back and reevaluate a possible subforum? That way people will become more familiar with what a tidbit post should look like. I would like to eventually see a subforum though, I feel these could be very useful for the community.

tFtfA.jpg

I feel if we were to just allow people or begin to promote these kind of threads into the RS general discussion it would have to be introduced by a member of the staff to ensure that it won't get over run by spam and if that is the route that we want to take we can see how popular these become and then come back and reevaluate a possible subforum? That way people will become more familiar with what a tidbit post should look like. I would like to eventually see a subforum though, I feel these could be very useful for the community.

If you look at the Tips forum in Zybez, there's a lot of locked posts because of spam. It's because the posters keep doing the same thing, they either post a tip that someone else already posted, or they post a tip that Jagex already talked about in recent updates.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like it could be a good sub-forum, nothing more than that. However, I can see spam and trolling to be an issue.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I'll give it my signature of approval

dasseal.jpg

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln