Abortion

Assume Nothing

It could be argued that killing is wrong because humans are sapient. The majority have memories, are capable of higher thought, and have the potential for accomplishment. Furthermore, most also have family connections, and their lives directly affect others.

Killing effectively removes all of that. You know what being human is like, I assume. Picture those qualities on someone else, then picture it forcibly removed partway through its life. That is why we consider killing wrong.

What makes these properties more important than others?

What do you mean by "Others"? I've been trying to think of a response but it's a bit hard without that piece.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be argued that killing is wrong because humans are sapient. The majority have memories, are capable of higher thought, and have the potential for accomplishment. Furthermore, most also have family connections, and their lives directly affect others.

Killing effectively removes all of that. You know what being human is like, I assume. Picture those qualities on someone else, then picture it forcibly removed partway through its life. That is why we consider killing wrong.

What do you mean by "Others"? I've been trying to think of a response but it's a bit hard without that piece.

Sapience is just a property. It's more important to humans simply because it makes us different.

By others I mean anything. With the logic you used, I can say birds are better than other animals because they can fly.

What makes sapience a better property than any other random one?

Sapience is just a property. It's more important to humans simply because it makes us different.

By others I mean anything. With the logic you used, I can say birds are better than other animals because they can fly.

Uhh so the birds should live. You're validating what he said, intentionally or not.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

We know what death is, and it affects the survivors. Humans have a complex individual identity.

Other than that I'd be against any kinds of senseless killing (Read: Does not count food). I'm just trying to define why the killing of humans in particular is 'wrong'.

There is an evolutionary interest in preventing the deaths of others in your species.

We find the death of other humans easily related to, and can justify that however we want.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

There is an evolutionary interest in preventing the deaths of others in your species.

We find the death of other humans easily related to, and can justify that however we want.

It's weird, this mixes in with Animal Rights. Should a human Fetus have more of a right to life than a animal? Currently, in the UK, abortion is legal and so is raising cattle for slaughter. Hmm

It's weird, this mixes in with Animal Rights. Should a human Fetus have more of a right to life than a animal? Currently, in the UK, abortion is legal and so is raising cattle for slaughter. Hmm

You're comparing apples and oranges. Maybe you should compare it to birds or turtles, creatures that lay eggs. Are you allowed to go smash turtle eggs in the UK? Its illegal in America.

Never heard of someone performing an abortion on another animal... maybe we need to give them those rights? Accidental breeding and we should *fix* the accident?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

You're comparing apples and oranges. Maybe you should compare it to birds or turtles, creatures that lay eggs. Are you allowed to go smash turtle eggs in the UK? Its illegal in America.

Never heard of someone performing an abortion on another animal... maybe we need to give them those rights? Accidental breeding and we should *fix* the accident?

I guess.

So, when the world starts overpopulating (which is already happening), would Abortion still be considered murder?

I guess.

So, when the world starts overpopulating (which is already happening), would Abortion still be considered murder?

The world isn't overpopulated. The world's wealth is badly distributed. This overpopulation garbage is just something said by those who don't want to accept that the wealth they have they don't deserve.

That's not to say certain areas aren't overpopulated.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I guess.

The world isn't overpopulated. The world's wealth is badly distributed. This overpopulation garbage is just something said by those who don't want to accept that the wealth they have they don't deserve.

So, is Africa/China not overpopulated? Seeing as China has such a great mass of people, having kids is actually a burden for the country. Instead of potential life contributing to the society, it's wasting resources.

Another interesting question sparks up; If there was a test to find out if your baby has health issues before it's born, would you try it (if you're a girl)? And would you abort the child if you knew it was going to live a horrible life?

And would you abort the child if you knew it was going to live a horrible life?

You would the same as if you'd smother your child to put her out of her misery.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I guess.

So, is Africa/China not overpopulated? Seeing as China has such a great mass of people, having kids is actually a burden for the country. Instead of potential life contributing to the society, it's wasting resources.

Another interesting question sparks up; If there was a test to find out if your baby has health issues before it's born, would you try it (if you're a girl)? And would you abort the child if you knew it was going to live a horrible life?

As I clearly stated in my post I was referring to the world as a whole, not certain areas.

I'lll be posting a topic in the next few days that's somewhat related though.

polvCwJ.gif

I guess.

As I clearly stated in my post I was referring to the world as a whole, not certain areas.

I'lll be posting a topic in the next few days that's somewhat related though.

The world may not be overpopulated now, but fertility rates are higher than ever before, and it won't be too long before we reach tipping point. And I think, if there is a way, the baby shouldn't be aborted, but taken out of the womb and placed in some kind of life support system instead. Forcing a woman through 9 months of pregnancy isn't always the best option.

"You should have thought it through, and worn a condom" - Sometimes, they do think it through, but condoms break. Or a Vasectomy fails. Or a pill doesn't work. It's very hard to prove those cases, but they do exist. And to keep the child sometimes is a mistake.

And would you abort the child if you knew it was going to live a horrible life?

You would the same as if you'd smother your child to put her out of her misery.

Absolutely.

I remember reading about a woman in one of the Nazi death camps, who was pregnant, and then managed to have the baby.

They immediately drowned it, to spare it the experiments that the Nazis would perform on it. Morally justified? Yes.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

They immediately drowned it, to spare it the experiments that the Nazis would perform on it. Morally justified? Yes.

I agree, but that is a pretty rare case. Many people will use that same reasoning and then throw them in the dumpster during prom night as opposed to at least putting them up for adoption.

I agree, but that is a pretty rare case. Many people will use that same reasoning and then throw them in the dumpster during prom night as opposed to at least putting them up for adoption.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly label that abortion.

Don't think anybody labeled that abortion.

Terminating a fetus prior to birth is abortion, I'm unsure as to whether or not you're trying to argue the definition....

polvCwJ.gif

I don't understand how anyone could possibly label that abortion.

No one does.

PS: That was just a Family Guy reference. Get with the times man.

I saw it. Didn't think it was funny, but I saw it.

I saw it. Didn't think it was funny, but I saw it.

You mean there were people that actually thought the prom night dumpster baby sketch was funny? :ohnoes:

I probably watch things for different reasons than other people. Nothing on television interests me, so if anything, I will watch the things that evoke the greatest amount of negative emotional response for my own sick entertainment purposes. (Family Guy, Grey's Anatomy, Big Time Rush, Adventure Time, Boardwalk Empire, The Office, Michael Cera and Seth Rogen movies, etc.) Kind of like why some people visit 4chan.

So I guess my point would be that it's funny how bad it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Well put, although I doubt reasoning will work with those people: if it did, it's unlikely that they would be there in the first place.

Can't watch vid(at work), I will when I get home.

I've never been a fan of the aggressive public protests for any purpose though, I'd prefer to lobby politicians for this sort of thing.

polvCwJ.gif