Hegemony Questions

Wisp

Questions and all  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Want to play a Hegemony Type game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the time period/ruleset
  2. 2. Time Period:

• Modern
    • Future (Space)
    • Pre Modern (1945+)
    • Colonial (1700s+)
    • Medieval (1300's)
    • Way back When (Old)
  3. 3. Rules

• IAG or similar and budget resets
    • Original GDP/ budget based

We haven't had a real successful hegemony since Napoleonic, so I'm wondering what people like?

Also, other things you like or don't like for the games not mentioned in the poll, like moderated or not, how wars are handled etc.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Could you please allow ticking more than one option in question two, or at least generalize a little? I want both modern and future... so post present.

How about not allowing enforced war, such as by allowing states to asume a neutral position and lose it when attacking (not counting common threats (such as the Mongols and Urk Orz)).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I have an idea for a new game, which is drastically different from the past Hegemony, but still retains a lot of the Hegemony-style gaming. Right now the concept is only in the beginning stages, and I just want to gauge interest. If people are interested, I'll work out an actual system and define it before it begins, so that there isn't any flippy-floppyness like in YOH.

Time period: Early Modern (2000s. Basically today's technology minus the super cutting edge stuff that I haven't gotten a chance to figure out yet.)

Backstory: The cold war did not come to end until the year 1990, when there were hundreds of thousands of nuclear warheads in existence. With the demilitarisation and collapse of the Soviet Union, terrorist organizations moved quickly to secure several hundred nuclear warheads. The governments of NATO, China, Russia, Japan, Australia, and several oter nations moved in with Special Ops teams, but the terrorists were cunning and launched their warheads at the major cities of nations which opposed them. Thankfully, a legacy of the cold war remained. Huge anti-missle systems were constructed around major cities, which managed to deflect the weapons before they detonated in the cities.

This lead to a huge problem, as the resulting radioactive material and dust kicked up by the explosions blanketed the Earth, wiping out crops all over the planet. Billions died from famine and disease, chaos reigning throughout the countries. Federal governments collapsed under the strain, leaving only local governments intact. In major metropolitan areas, strongmen seized the reigns of power and protected order. When the dust finally settled, the people in these cities began to rebuild. They reclaimed farmland from the radioactive wasteland and scratched out an existence, until by the year 2000, they had reclaimed all farmland that was easily accessable.

So now you're in control of a really big city. They are created unequal, but there will probaly be ten or twenty really large cities which are roughly equal, and then a buncha smaller cities which I can give you information on if you want one.

Armies would be comparably smaller, and have more chances for upgrade and such. Since most of the Earth is a wasteland, there is a lot of room for peaceful expansion, but military expansion might seem cheaper.

And in this game, NPCs won't be idiots, so they'll form alliances with cultural neighbors (and maybe you, if you provide a good reason), and they will try to exploit your weaknesses, especially if you are known as an aggressor.

Feedback? Of course if HA works out, then there'll be no need, but it's always nice to have ideas. :P

Also, this will have a bigger focus on city life, meaning there would be benefit for researching healthcare and social technologies too, rather than just going to war all the time. Of course there would be good war too. :thumbup:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Yesh, that's a good idea. Most of the provinces will be wasteland though, so I could probaly see the stats of each province. It won't be complicated, but it might have a resource or food production thingy. I'll probaly use "High, Medium, Low" instead of using numbers, and figure that out.

It sounds sorta like micromanagement, but it's not much, since most of the time you just "set it and forget it" for each province, and then you just have a running total of stuff.

I'll also have the decisions from Napoleanic, since those were fun. I'll ask Dusty on how he made those.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Finally a game where the NPC's don't just let you steamroll their neighbours!

Though Dusty's hegemony, the NPC's were probably much smarter.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Well that's the thing, you can move troops through (with probaly a bit of attrition), but you can't really gain much benefit from them until you reclaim them. I haven't figured out how that'd work yet, but it would probaly be hard.

Oh, I almost forgot. (Sorry for the double post btw)

Which cities are you interested in playing as? My grasp of cities aside from the biggest ones is severely limited, so if you have any specific requests (if they're big cities, they usually are more powerful), then please let me know. :thumbup:

Underground bunker complex. :thumbsup:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Are you aware of any city that actually has an underground bunker complex? Keep in mind that the cities were shielded, so the buildings weren't destroyed. Sure, more than half of the people died from famine, but the buildings are still intact.

So are the cities and such that were shielded still intact? And farmland and such? Or is ALL farmland in the world dead, and forests and such?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Everything except the few miles surrounding cities were basically abandoned and destroyed. Reclaiming is labor-intensive and/or expensive, so sometimes conquest is the cheap way. However, war weariness will probaly play a bigger part, and ambushes will actually have effect. I'm trying to stop huge armies forming on one hand, while at the same time making standing armies more effective.

• 1 month later...

If someone wishes me to write up a hegemony back story I will, this will leave you to mod, make up the ruleset and everything else.

Medieval Asia anyone?

[Falador tavern]

Taverner: I CLAIM CHINA!

Others: D'awwwwwwwww

That might actually work! (I was going to suggest the middle east and india/south east asia but w/e) Would anyone be willing to mod this (well if anyone else is interested)?

LNYvk.png

Personally...

I liked the red dot city idea

OR

The Real Map idea

They both made gameplay easier and more interesting...as opposed to the 'I send my army into China', occassionally accompanied by a large arrow.

Honestly, apart from, apparently, looking cartoonish, the Red Dot idea seemed to work very well.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

[hide]wD4MD.png[/hide]

I think it needs tweaking to make it work though...

Possibly the introduction of Towns and City Names, example:

Gpyr9.png

Cities generate X number of Monies

Towns generate Y number of Monies

Towns cost N amount to build

Towns cost M amount to upgrade to cities.

Towns are free to maintain

Cities cost P amount if there are at least 5 towns per city

Cities cost 3P amount if there are at least 3 towns per city

Cities cost 6P amount if there are less than 3 towns per city

The City cost is known as D

One solider costs G amount, minus 0.001X per number of towns, plus any upgrades you add to the solider. This total is V.

(Tanks, aircraft and ships are counted the number of soliders in them, plus upgrades)

Invading another country with said solider costs 0.01 V.

Defending your own country with said solider costs 0.005 V.

Research costs O amount, divided by the number of cities, plus balancing cost.

Where:

P=0.2 X

Y=0.2 X

N=2X

M=0.1D

G=0.01 X

O=5X

Example:

[hide]

Hence:

If X =20,000 Flaming Heads

P=4,000 Flaming Heads

Y=4,000 Flaming Heads

N=40,000 Flaming Heads

M=60,000 Flaming Heads

G= 20 Flaming Heads

O= 100,000 Flaming Heads

Thus:

If an Empire had 2 Cities and 10 Towns:

Income: 10Y+2X

Expenses: 2(P)

If an Empire had 3 Cities and 9 Towns:

Income: 9Y+3X

Expenses: 3(3P)

If an Empire had 4 Cities and 8 Towns:

Income: 8Y+4X

Expenses: 4(6P)

OR

Income: 40,000+40,000

Expenses: 8,000

Total: 72,000 Flaming Heads

Income: 36,000+60,000

Expenses: 36,000

Total: 60,000 Flaming Heads

Income: 32,000+80,000

Expenses: 96,000

Total: 16,000 Flaming Heads

OR

Income: 4X

Expenses: 0.4X

Total: 3.6X

Income: 4.8X

Expenses: 1.8X

Total: 3X

Income: 5.6X

Expenses: 4.8X

Total: 0.8X

[/hide]

All of this should mean people can try various strategies...

More cities makes research cheaper

More towns make having an army cheaper

If there is a big, technologically advanced empire with 20 cities and 60 Towns, you can launch an invasion against a single town and cripple their ability to make war (As would happen in the real world).

Whereas a big, technologically backward empire with 10 cities and 90 Towns, would be far more capable of fighting for an extended period (As also happens in the real world).

I am not sure when people want to start...I would prefer a Grand Campaign from the first days of Civilisation, with technology advancing in stages.(For people who wanted to make rifles instantly, go ahead...Low grade smelting will cause them to blow up and lack of technical expertise will make them unholy expensive.)

Preferably on an Earth-like map, rather than an Earth Map.

Though any period works for me.

If people are interested then I will see if I can rearrange things.

If we're going from the very dawn of the tribal stage, then I think we should play at a pace of maybe 1 month/hour and slowly increase in speed until we reach the dark age, at which it slows down until we in the 1900s settle at 1year/day or 1decade/week.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Nah, I was thinking of playing it more or less by ear...After all, trying to force people to wait for specific 'ages' for stuff to happen only annoys people.

Example, I created cheap steel and then, for no reason other than people not doing it for a couple of years, was unable to build railroads...

I would say 3 months at a time seems reasonable, with a reset every year.

Low grade smelting will cause them to blow up and lack of technical expertise will make them unholy expensive

Depending on who's the moderator, people will research things and they will fail and although real life works by trial and error it will just become annoying, it will also work on the mod's logic, which when different to a players gets depressing.

Also, switching will pose a problem. And researching EVERYTHING for the dawn of civilisation will soon get slow.

I like GDP, anything else is just annoying, I want to focus on fighting, not working out cost. I don't see any advantages.

NPC's are boring.

I would much rather have an alternate history style game with a history and stuff, that way we could agree on what we want and what we don't (for example 21st century no bombs or a retro time period with high technology)

[Falador tavern]

3months/day? That's just too slow, in the start we need something that allows us to rule like it was done at the time, if we say the days for the users are years of bountiful hunts and nights are sparse, then it would make sense why little is done during the night, while during the day we could pillage, quest and explore in a pase that would be perfect for making those crucial last minute changes to our plans when problems apear.

Like this:

Player: The chieftain and the prime spearmen travel to pillage the village near the mountains.

*Half an hour passes*

Mod: You travel for fifteen days, though your journey was safe and uneventful, as you arrive at the village you find it littered with corpses and full of blood splatters yet to be washed away by the rain, all the food is gone. One of your spearmen found a dead wolf just outside of the village and a trail of blood that leads up the mountain.

Player: We head home/We follow the trail.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1