Longboarding

Sam

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Madrid 'The Dream' deck for my birthday. :D

Sadly though, I don't actually have any wheels or trucks...which sucks. I'm a poet and I didn't know it. :shades:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

• 2 weeks later...

Second hand is never a bad idea especially if your just starting off or want to simply save a good chunk of cash. I buy used a lot, my last two road bikes were used and each were of great quality when I bought them. I did buy my longboard new but I bought it during a time where I didn't really believe in second hand nor had great money management skills.

I don't know how well Ebay is outside the US but, it's worth checking out!

tFtfA.jpg

Question: What's the difference between skateboarding and longboarding? I know that longboards are, duh, longer, but it really doesn't look by much. Is it reasonable to say that longboarding = casual boarding and skateboarding = full-on tricks, etc.?

I was always curious.

Nani mo dekinai

Chanto dekinai

Sore ga dou shita?

Bokura wa wakai'n da

Nanimo dekinai

Sugu ni dekinai

Dakara bokura ni kanou sei ga aru'n da

~AKB48

Okay thinking about getting a board for the summer once I get some money. Do you guys rate buying second hand? Do you think I'd be better off going new for something like this (price range. Or second like this. The second one looks way nicer...

TIA!

Personally, I think pintails, though nice for cruising, limit the amount of things you can do. I bought a pintail for my first longboard, and at this point, I wish I would've bought a board with a shape that wouldn't get any wheel bite. I've gotten way more into longboarding, and to be honest, pintails aren't ideal for dancing, sliding, or freeskating in general. If you're just looking to cruise, pintails are real nice for that. But if you think there's a chance you'll want to do more with your board, get something with cut outs near the wheels (like that Apex).

Question: What's the difference between skateboarding and longboarding? I know that longboards are, duh, longer, but it really doesn't look by much. Is it reasonable to say that longboarding = casual boarding and skateboarding = full-on tricks, etc.?

I was always curious.

Longboarding wheels are generally softer than skateboard wheels, and much bigger in most cases. Many longboard decks don't have tails. The big difference is wheel-size, though, because it allows you to go faster and longer without pushing as much. I'm not sure you could get going 40+mph down a hill on a skateboard (unless you put longboard wheels on a skateboard, which many people do; in that case, you wouldn't make it far without getting speed wobble and bailing due to board length).

I guess the trucks are a bit different, too, because of the bigger wheel base. The trucks are bigger in general, too.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Went for a cruise this afternoon with three other friends. Was quite refreshing; the weather was absolutely beautiful.

We also found a few parking garages that are decent so that during the winter we can still mess around.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

I have friends with Madrids. They're good boards. That one looks pretty nice.

I think I need some new bearings. Not sure if I should buy them right now, though, seeing as the colder weather is starting to settle in (heck, we could get snow for all I know).

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

I bought that board with Bones Reds Bearings, Clear Red Retro ZigZags70mm/78a and Randal 180mm 50 Degree Trucks. The total was 309 NZD. Just gotta wait for it to arrive, by the time it arrives I should be finished exams and it pretty much will be summer. YEAAAH!

rosssigfinal.jpg