Farming efficiency

halo475

First off money is not an issue with me it's all about xp, i make 10m at least each day off the ge and have more than enough to buy every buy-able skill to 99. I value my time enough to not buy daily's (except for sand through lunar if i remember)

My question is are farming herbs worth it?

I did a small test and found that doing 4 patches (all patches not including trollheim) took me about 2:10 seconds (note i have access to every single thing to make it faster including lunars)

Then i did a trip to trollheim and it took me 1:40 to do the one patch plus the extra cost of spellbook swap.

Surely farming the patch at trollheim is a waste of time in not only xp but money aswell?

This got me thinking, is farming herbs worth the time at all? The profit is also less than it used to be aswell.

My time is better spent planting trees right?

Arzian.png

Well, if you don't care about money AT ALL, farmings probably not worth it anyway.

Farming is worth it, for the total levels, extra spirit tree and mainly for planting lycopus in dungeoneering, I didn't ask whether farming was worth training, sorry if i confused you.

Arzian.png

I think if you check grimy's farming efficiency spreadsheet - It has the gp/xp of doing individual patches based on herbs. So that should tell you. If you are only after XP, you can do palms/magics/calquats.

Have your spirit tree in brim, buy tai bwo wannai teleports off GE for calquat. (Do the calquat every 2 days as it can take over 24hr so it's inefficient to turn up there and have it not grown.

Fruit tree & Tree runs are pretty quick to do, 4-5minutes a piece.

If you are farming magics you can do maybe 2 a day. (if you work, one before, one after, etc.)

If you are not in a rush to gain farming levels. Only do Palm & Calquat, as the time spent yields greater XP. (And palm is cheaper gp/xp than magic for similar xp, you could obviously do both to finish farming quicker and use the extra 5minutes a day on something else.)

For herb farming check the individual gp/xp efficiency values on the spreadsheet. It's probably definitely worth doing Falador + Ardougne + Catherby patches if you are on lunar + achieve diary tele's.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

In reference to the above poster, if money REALLY isn't an issue, I don't see why you'd avoid doing magic trees with the rest of the trees. Other then that, yeah, trees are by far the best.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Trees for pure xp.

People farm herbs to make up for the costs. However, when farming herbs, make sure to include the trollheim patch, since you NEVER get there and find the herb to be dead, contrary to other patches.

If you're after pure xp, forget about everything except the mentioned palm, magic and calquat trees.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Torstol is ~10k xp per run and Stonewall verified that farming the trollheim patch is about equal to frost dragons in gp/hr.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

In your situation, farming herbs is not worth it. Instead, for XP, you should farm all sorts of trees (be aware, though, this is very expensive).

Edit: Looking @ Quyneax' post above, they seem to be worth it. Cannot verify that, though.

Also, to make herb farming reasonably acceptable, here are some things you should include:

1) Use supercompost

2) Use an Ardougne cloak for teleporting to the Ardougne farming patch

3) Teleport to Catherby using Lunar spells

4) (Obviously) teleport to Morytania using ectophial

5) (Obviously) teleport to the Draynor farming patch using an explorer's ring

6) Use magic secateurs

You should, however, realize that the patch @ Trollheim cannot be diseased, but it takes longer to access (could be done by spellbook-swapping, by the way).

If you're so confident in your wealth, by all means, leave your herb patches alone. Whatever marginal increase in value herbs get for one less person doing herb runs every hour, I'll take.

If you're looking for exp, stick to trees.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.