Would bringing back free trade be viable today?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd probably quit if they brought it back.. cuz the ge would be gone if they brought it back and im just too lazy to go look for people selling / buying [cabbage].

I just don't understand all this BS about the ge being nonexistant with free trade. Is it just ridiculous stupidity or what?

For everyone that doesn't know, the ge isn't anything really remarkable in this world, and there are ALOT of other markets that work the same way. Two differences though- they work(as opposed to the GE right now that is constantly 'stuck') and they allow free trade. Go figure...

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

i'd probably quit if they brought it back.. cuz the ge would be gone if they brought it back and im just too lazy to go look for people selling / buying [cabbage].

I just don't understand all this BS about the ge being nonexistant with free trade. Is it just ridiculous stupidity or what?

For everyone that doesn't know, the ge isn't anything really remarkable in this world, and there are ALOT of other markets that work the same way. Two differences though- they work(as opposed to the GE right now that is constantly 'stuck') and they allow free trade. Go figure...

if im wrong sorry, but are you saying that they can have free trade AND the ge? cuz i dont get how that would work.

I like getting hard when I PK

if im wrong sorry, but are you saying that they can have free trade AND the ge? cuz i dont get how that would work.

How does a stock market(of which the ge is a cheap ripoff) work....?

How does a stock market(of which the ge is a cheap ripoff) work....?

from supply and demand, right? but wouldn't the ge need set prices to work? i mean, if there was free trade the ge would almost be pointless. so they would probabaly take it out. sorry if im not makin any sense.. wake n bake for me :|

The GE was released prior to the trade limit so there was a small converge of both the GE and free trading and there weren't any problems

about it. I personally think that free trading will make the GE less popular and most people will sell supplies for the best they can get so

buying supplies for quests, etc will be a little hassle but not as nearly as much.

The GE was released prior to the trade limit so there was a small converge of both the GE and free trading and there weren't any problems

about it. I personally think that free trading will make the GE less popular and most people will sell supplies for the best they can get so

buying supplies for quests, etc will be a little hassle but not as nearly as much.

ohhhhh i took a break around the time it came out.. so i didn't know there was still free trade along with the ge. i just assumed that they went straight from free trade to ge with no mix of the 2.

from supply and demand, right? but wouldn't the ge need set prices to work? i mean, if there was free trade the ge would almost be pointless. so they would probabaly take it out. sorry if im not makin any sense.. wake n bake for me :|

What's so difficult to understand about it? Right now we have three prices in the ge- market price, 0,95x market price and 1,05x market price as the price floors, allowing free trade we would have market price(or suggested price), min gp(most likely 1, but there can be other floors) and max price(2.147B), and the market price would just adjust according to the average price the item is sold(taking supply into account). This would make the GE work much better and would completely remove junk trading and price manipulation.

What's so difficult to understand about it? Right now we have three prices in the ge- market price, 0,95x market price and 1,05x market price as the price floors, allowing free trade we would have market price(or suggested price), min gp(most likely 1, but there can be other floors) and max price(2.147B), and the market price would just adjust according to the average price the item is sold(taking supply into account). This would make the GE work much better and would completely remove junk trading and price manipulation.

ahh i got ya. yeah i guess that would be a good idea.. and it would make everything work much better.

This type of thread annoys me. Is there one shred of evidence or one iota of possibility that Jagex would bring back free trade in any manner? I don't think so. They've shown in the past that they're not moving on this subject.

In effect, there's absolutely no reason to be even discussing this anymore, considering that free trade was removed years ago. If you want to reminisce about how things were better back then, fine. But don't keep bringing it back like so many distortions of a What If? question.

I think people need to mix some realism into their thinking.

Tact.gif

This type of thread annoys me. Is there one shred of evidence or one iota of possibility that Jagex would bring back free trade in any manner? I don't think so. They've shown in the past that they're not moving on this subject.

In effect, there's absolutely no reason to be even discussing this anymore, considering that free trade was removed years ago. If you want to reminisce about how things were better back then, fine. But don't keep bringing it back like so many distortions of a What If? question.

notice how the thread is hypothetical in nature, not "i herd freetrade comes back old wildy bak w66 riots we pay we say"

The major reason free trade was removed was to eliminate botting and gold-farming. Now that it's back, it's safe to say jagex screwed themselves over by that update(the game was growing until that particular update and hasn't been as popular ever since).

True, however:

I think the reason that it is less visible is also because it has a much less broad effect than it has in the past. While common commodities such as logs were skewed out of their price range in the past, now it's mostly restricted to rares and items manipulated on the GE. I do believe that 95% of 'Scapers are better off today than they were before trade limits were imposed. Price manipulation and the rigid rares market do deserve some form of redress, along with the new versions of RWT and botting happening today. Still, I have not been presented with any good reason why reinstating free trade would specifically address these issues. You would be trading a lesser evil for a greater one.

Tact.gif

True, however:

I think the reason that it is less visible is also because it has a much less broad effect than it has in the past. While common commodities such as logs were skewed out of their price range in the past, now it's mostly restricted to rares and items manipulated on the GE. I do believe that 95% of 'Scapers are better off today than they were before trade limits were imposed. Price manipulation and the rigid rares market do deserve some form of redress, along with the new versions of RWT and botting happening today. Still, I have not been presented with any good reason why reinstating free trade would specifically address these issues. You would be trading a lesser evil for a greater one.

again, you have forgotten that the ge could coexist with free trade

I'm not sure what that would accomplish. If you give people a choice between the GE and free trade, most people would choose the GE because they can't be bothered to find a buyer themselves, while RWT and other similar activities would utilize free trade. You basically solved nothing except keep the worst part of each system.

Tact.gif

I'm not sure what that would accomplish. If you give people a choice between the GE and free trade, most people would choose the GE because they can't be bothered to find a buyer themselves, while RWT and other similar activities would utilize free trade. You basically solved nothing except keep the worst part of each system.

*facepalm*

also you (referring to Tact here) heavily implied that rwting does not exist in today's runescape

also you (referring to Tact here) heavily implied that rwting does not exist in today's runescape

Erm...

Price manipulation and the rigid rares market do deserve some form of redress, along with the new versions of RWT and botting happening today.

I never said there wasn't RWT. Merely that it's evolved.

That's not free trade. That's just our current system but with looser controls.

Also, xpx only stated the new price floors and price ceilings. What would be the new min and max prices in the GE (as in, what's the percentage allowed in variation)?

Tact.gif

There would be no percentages. Go learn something about how stock markets work(of which, again, the ge is a cheap ripoff, if there were no price restrictions, the ge would work as it's supposed to). You are only showing stupidity right now(like alot of others). A stock market is supposed to work with no price restrictions, adding restrictions is the reason for it not working properly.

There would be no percentages. Go learn something about how stock markets work(of which, again, the ge is a cheap ripoff, if there were no price restrictions, the ge would work as it's supposed to). You are only showing stupidity right now(like alot of others). A stock market is supposed to work with no price restrictions, adding restrictions is the reason for it not working properly.

I can already see where this is going. Calling people stupid who disagree with you...

So you'd bring back free trade like it used to be, along with the host of problems we had before. In reference to the OP's original question, I'd have to say no.

Tact.gif

I can already see where this is going. Calling people stupid who disagree with you...

So you'd bring back free trade like it used to be, along with the host of problems we had before. In reference to the OP's original question, I'd have to say no.

Thats xtroll for you.

Thinks he knows everything, calls everybody else stupid.

Truely clueless.

Free trade won't make party hats tradeable with in-game currency. ;-)

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Anyone who thinks free trade excludes the possibility of a stock-market-like system really deserves to be called stupid, and there is nothing to disagree about(our financial systems rely on it working, and the example of runescape just proves restricted trade and stock-market don't work).

And well, if by bringing back a host of problems you mean bringing back gold-farming and botting, i'm fine with it(imagine only if Brett Favre came back...oh wait..).

no it's more so that you are wrong

what problems are you referring to? scamming and cash rwting? i'd take those over stuck markets, price manipulation, junk trading, and the plague of self-botted accounts i see today.

Free trade won't make party hats tradeable with in-game currency. ;-)

Clearly, because they weren't traded for cash before trade restrictions were put in place... Like you'd know anything.

Partyhats would would actually crash very hard as there would be no difficulty in acquiring them and they'd have no arbitrary value in addition to strong ge value. Free trade would also work wonders on reducing inflation and giving ge more value.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference.

/thread.

Really, there is little downside(jagex would actually have to start working on banning bots) and alot of upside(REAL pking, staking, reduced inflation, no arbitrary money, ge working as it's supposed to) for the idea, so there are alot of reasons it could and should be brought back.