Would bringing back free trade be viable today?

Please note I am against the bringing back of free trade so please don't post "go cry more noob, learn to get over it" because you will only make yourself look stupid.

How often do you hear a pker moan "Omg I just killed someone for full bandos and got 400k, [developmentally delayed]ed jagex!", what they fail to mention though is that the kill before was on a 1-itemer target, where they received a vls drop worth 19mil. Although the trade limit on pking seems like a pain when you miss a large item drop, the fact is that getting an ancient statue is a lot better than many full rune sets you used to get. Maybe the top hyrbrid pkers at mage bank would gain more but the general population would lose out.

But ignoring the fact that you would lose out if you got free trade back, what would the effects be?

- By creating a free market the grand exchange would become redundant, and for example buying 99 prayer for turmoil with no effort would become a thing of the past.

- Pvp armour, where would this go? Most likely jagex would figure out some way of bringing this into the game through a shop or a rare monster drop.

- How many whips, sets of armour and godswords do you think get lost in the game now? By bringing in free pking it would cause a major crash in all high-end items especially whips and dark bows (think how many are lost on pvp worlds). This would mean a loss for monster hunters as well.

- The loss of pure cash from statues. Now this could arguably be a good thing, but although it would cause all items to drop in price, it will be harder to gain cash, and anyone with a large cashpile at the moment will win while those who invested in items such as divines and party hats would lose out (I'm assuming the huge rise in value of gp would cause the market to become stable).

- Obviously rwt would come back heavily, but botting and rwt never really went away...

- STAKING, staking high amounts without a divine and chaotics/ the best gear would become unrealistic, creating the huge gap of waelth that would be far worse than the current gap of manipulator. When the limit was introduced there where no claws, spirit shields etc so staking would get insane (not to mention the boost to magic now).

Its near impossible to predict the effects on the economy from re-introducing free trade, but i doubt it would get much better.

Not entirely sure what my point was with this as it seems to have become a ramble, but what do you think of the feasibility of bringing back free trade today?

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- By creating a free market the grand exchange would become redundant, and for example buying 99 prayer for turmoil with no effort would become a thing of the past.

Thus causing sky rocketing prices and a further skewed market and economy than we already have.

- Pvp armour, where would this go? Most likely jagex would figure out some way of bringing this into the game through a shop or a rare monster drop.

Lol what? PVP armour is dropped in pvp thats how you get it. It wouldnt change at all beyond no ge to fasts ell it

- How many whips, sets of armour and godswords do you think get lost in the game now? By bringing in free pking it would cause a major crash in all high-end items especially whips and dark bows (think how many are lost on pvp worlds). This would mean a loss for monster hunters as well.

And it would bring back all the RWT that we got rid of putting nus back at square one aka Jagex restricts trade or closes down due to being sued..

- The loss of pure cash from statues. Now this could arguably be a good thing, but although it would cause all items to drop in price, it will be harder to gain cash, and anyone with a large cashpile at the moment will win while those who invested in items such as divines and party hats would lose out (I'm assuming the huge rise in value of gp would cause the market to become stable).

This would be a good market stabiliser; but this means free pk whihc means RWT whihc means back at square one.

- Obviously rwt would come back heavily, but botting and rwt never really went away...

Botting and RWT are heavily lowered these days. In fact outside account selling RWT pretty much does not function anymore

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sly, Fishy meant that you'd be getting your opponent's items as drops, rather than the current drop table (which includes pvp armour).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Thus causing sky rocketing prices and a further skewed market and economy than we already have.

Lol what? PVP armour is dropped in pvp thats how you get it. It wouldnt change at all beyond no ge to fasts ell it

And it would bring back all the RWT that we got rid of putting nus back at square one aka Jagex restricts trade or closes down due to being sued..

This would be a good market stabiliser; but this means free pk whihc means RWT whihc means back at square one.

Botting and RWT are heavily lowered these days. In fact outside account selling RWT pretty much does not function anymore

The fundamental flaws in arguments. I have a question for you - Have you been on the 'RS Black Market', and seen how the RWT of 2010 functions? I've seen it, I know that it does, and will happen. In fact, it's much harder to catch now, because every trade is supposedly a 'balanced' trade. (GE's problem). I agree it would definitely increase RWT, but asserting that it doesn't exist now is simply wrong.

The grand exchange can function without limits, however, it's not very practical to, and can be exploited through various means.

EDIT - PvP armour can be introduced with a new 'PvP boss', or something of the like. Perhaps make artificial character as good as a Pker?

I can't see many other points you've pointed out, you've mainly repeated yourself in that post. I'll leave this here

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

At the moment, things work. I see no need in bringing back free trade.

Are you kidding? How are things better than they were before trade restrictions were put in place? Has the number of bots diminished completely?

As for the question, if you have a decent pile of cash and some knowledge of the trade restrictions, it's still easy to transfer up to ~100m in 4 hours. The number of bots took a dive, but is making a strong return. Meanwhile, pking is in shambles. Most players feel like getting screwed over by merchants and junk traders. Yeah, I think removing the trade restrictions and actually doing something to alleviate the number of bots(which they haven't, they are actually encouraging them by having less harsh penaltys) would be a great idea(but not one without the other, mind).

Also, to some of the points in the first post, not having coin(statuette) drops would greatly reduce inflation that has been getting out of hand recently. Instead of having ~4m coins in the game, you would have a whip, which is only worth around 60k(alch), and as items exchange hands instead of market price being converted into gp, this would greatly reduce inflation(which is a very good thing unless you want every partyhat to be at a solid ge-max in a year or two). The profit from pking would then become proportional to skill, and people would more likely risk expensive armor to get ahead, recreating the thrill of real pking(which very few have experienced nowadays).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Are you kidding? How are things better than they were before trade restrictions were put in place? Has the number of bots diminished completely?

My mindset at the moment is, we're used to this. Throw another massive change into the economy and watch things go haywire. It's not needed, just like the first, and 50th change wasn't needed.

I'm not one that's "against change", rather, i don't want to see a change that'll solve nothing, but cause a lot of [cabbage] to go wrong

Bots & rwt'ers were there before trade restrictions, and are still there after

But watch the economy fall if the trade restrictions are removed

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

My mindset at the moment is, we're used to this. Throw another massive change into the economy and watch things go haywire. It's not needed, just like the first, and 50th change wasn't needed.

I'm not one that's "against change", rather, i don't want to see a change that'll solve nothing, but cause a lot of [cabbage] to go wrong

Bots & rwt'ers were there before trade restrictions, and are still there after

But watch the economy fall if the trade restrictions are removed

The economy is already as bad as it can be. I can't see it getting any worse with reduced inflation and the removed value of junk. The major point for this update has to be the economic considerations.

They can not bring free trade back. The essence of free trade has been lost with the GE. With the exception of rares and other items that are trraded with junk why would anyone use free trade when you can just go to the GE. The runescape world was forever changed the day they added the GE. The game became 20x easier the day they released the GE. This game used a "challenge" to get to 99 and now people can get 200m xp in a skill in a few months. Before the GE I struggled getting to 5m gp.... After it was released I did solo flipping and made a fortune for f2p. I got 99 smithing, cooking, firemaking, and yellow phat and 300m from just logging in every 10 min a day fllipping items. I bet Zezima still logs in every day and merchants.

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bots would just return, and it wouldn't be long before they'd have to put the trade limit back into the game, because

The majority of bots that we ban from members have been paid for with stolen credit card numbers.

Source

The botters were basically breaking the law, which Jagex does not support for obvious reasons.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

They can not bring free trade back. The essence of free trade has been lost with the GE. With the exception of rares and other items that are trraded with junk why would anyone use free trade when you can just go to the GE. The runescape world was forever changed the day they added the GE. The game became 20x easier the day they released the GE. This game used a "challenge" to get to 99 and now people can get 200m xp in a skill in a few months. Before the GE I struggled getting to 5m gp.... After it was released I did solo flipping and made a fortune for f2p. I got 99 smithing, cooking, firemaking, and yellow phat and 300m from just logging in every 10 min a day fllipping items. I bet Zezima still logs in every day and merchants.

Why would free trade imply no GE? Free trade would not change the way the GE works by too much(you'd just be able to put in any number you want instead of being capped by 5%) and would easily fix the current problems we have on the market.

Perhaps make artificial character as good as a Pker?

DEM REVS

Rofl.

Anyone who pks often will know that pk'ing today is far greater money than the old wild.

Not BH however, as with penalties and such that was probably the most profitable era of PvP.

Today you drop a rune set, or even a no itemer with just 76K cash in his inventory and you receive millions.

Old wild, you receive exactly what they lost.

People complain because they don't get exactly what they want, although the random statuettes compensate for it.(As you said)

I don't mind RS the way it is, as Auror said it really isn't broken.

People are quite hooked on getting every last thing their opponent has that they become delusional of the money they're actually making.

I would of argued for free trade back if Jagex had not released statuettes. PvP before statuettes was quite horrible loot wise.

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

the market works fine for everything except junk and partyhats, basically. so 95% of scapers are probably very content with the current economic system.

once you start seriously trying to buy or sell a phat you will see how much the economic environment needs to be fixed.

This will bring back scamming, luring, rwting, abyss pking, and a whole lot of other garbage.

No thanks. As for me used to being an enthusiast supporter of free trades, I kind of think the other way now.

Maybe because I was a victim of constant scamming which happens a lot on crowded markets or perhaps because

pkers gave me a hard time everytime I attempted to finish a clue scroll. I would like having players decide on the

market for themselves but the trade limit is an adequate substitute because we can still implement

junk trading and decide what items are rising and dropping. When more players are coming at this time, they will

have NO experience with scamming should free trade happen. Staking is a great way to make money, but it

may cause more players to quit and luring will be no worse since all the items released since then will be

even more accessible and will be harder to defend against.

I do NOT want free trade to happen. I think it's time people should just get over it. :mellow:

This will bring back scamming, luring, rwting, abyss pking, and a whole lot of other garbage.

This is how the world is, i don't understand why we should lure ourselves away from it. Honestly it's good to be scammed 1 time on runescape instead of getting scammed 1 time in the real world. You learn to stay safe.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

This is how the world is, i don't understand why we should lure ourselves away from it. Honestly it's good to be scammed 1 time on runescape instead of getting scammed 1 time in the real world. You learn to stay safe.

Excuse me but isn't the whole foundation of playing any game is too have fun and not solace the countless hours of hard work you

just lost because some whack decided to bend the rules? And I'm PRETTY sure there are much better ways to stay safe.

Also, you can't compare the morality of real life to online games. That doesn't work either.

Question: how does the GE translate into taking the challenge out of the game? People would still buy raw materials in mass quantities, but the difference is that the career traders would be trying to rip them off at every opportunity.

Also, I have no desire to turn this into another competition for not having fun in the most time wasting fashion possible.

8f14270694.jpg

How can you say trade isn't broken? With street prices and junk trading everywhere just so people can get how much they want out of an item, kinda makes trade look a little broken.

I'd love to see free trade back tbh, I want to be able to sell this fury kit for what it's worth and not have to wait months for the G.E. price to rise to where I want it. If there had been no free trade a few days ago, I could have gotten a Third-Age Melee Set (414m) for my fury kit. Since there is no free trade though, I couldn't take it seeing as how my total bank is merely 80m or so, nowhere near enough to balance the trade. <_<

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Same answer every year.

No.

Until Jagex up their game with bot detecting and actually do something about it then there is no hope for free trade ever returning. If you miss it so bad go play classic.

No this won't happen or no, this wouldn't work? Because going by the title of the thread, this would easily work. The reason free trade was abolished was because of botting. Now that botting is at it's peak yet again, I don't see the reason to hate on free trade so much.

Blade- the market doesn't work fine. Far more gp is being brought into the game and far less is being removed from it, and the removal of free trade was mostly responsible for this shift. Reintroducing free trade would eliminate price manipulation and the worth of junk, thus making for a much better economy. The ge would be largely unaffected(apart from you being able to acquire or sell any item at any time).

Clifford- abyss pking was a legit way of pking that was introduced on purpose. There is nothing bad about that. Bring back RWTing? nice one :smile: luring? not unless the old wildy is introduced, and we still have a 'wall' for those of you with a double digit IQ. Scamming? Aren't there enough red-flashy messages to notice if you really care about your valuables? Also, i think the removal of gravestones would greatly enhance MHing from what it is now(you used to actually think about risk in the old days). baby-scape is what you need, really.

Also, bringing back staking would be a great way to enhance the elite level gameplay for rich players who are running out of things to do on the game, not to mention real pking(which most of the people nowadays have no clue about).

You obviously know nothing about how the RWT market works...If anything, it is far more active then it was before. Examples: Selling merch stock, buying junk, buying high street priced items for RSGP+Cash, training accounts, transferring gold between accounts, Selling gold, buying gold, trading accounts, selling guides on how to abuse bugs, upgrading and downgrading items, and that is only a few examples.

Don't pretend to know how the market would react, when you don't even understand how RWT influences prices in RS currently. Without that simple understanding, all your "ideas" will be corrupted by misinformation.

Free trade would never work with the way the GE is set up, so without either radically changing its dynamics, or else getting rid of the GE altogether, or replacing it with some sort of wow-esq "auction house", then free trade simply wouldn't work.

And XpX, apples and oranges. Before there were gold farmers, now their are more people botting skills, or else farming gold on their own account, instead of simply botting on those oh-so-common bald, green level 3's those who played years ago remember.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

My concern for bringing free trade back into the game is that certain people would make it their 'niche' in the RS economy to buy out all the resources (logs, uncooked fish, ores etc) and use that monopoly to charge whatever the heck they want again, foregoing the Grand Exchange in the process of making a few extra % over the max GE price.

The Grand Exchange may have its problems, but if you imagine the GE as some sort of vast depository of resources for which people have to pay to withdraw from it, the GE fundamentally cannot work without people selling to it, and if free trade would only provide a way of skipping around it via player-traders, I'd rather not lose the GE. As far as I'm concerned, the GE is the best update that's ever happened and it was desperately needed at the time of its release when player numbers were at their highest and the RS economy was bulging.

The issue of botting is seperate from the issue of the Grand Exchange. Great care should be taken not to confuse the two as the same issue of 'Free Trade'. As stone says, the reasons for people botting now are generally different to the reasons people botted then; now it's laziness, not a way of providing real life cash.

And XpX, apples and oranges. Before there were gold farmers, now their are more people botting skills, or else farming gold on their own account, instead of simply botting on those oh-so-common bald, green level 3's those who played years ago remember.

Well, now people just don't have to recreate 10 green baldies every day as jagex doesn't care about banning their mains. Sure, it looks good on paper- the botters are wearing pretty granite platebodies and dragon medium helms, but not much has changed. Instead of being stupid and botting something like yews on f2p, they'll just make a few p2p accounts(and being p2p means you can't get banned unless you tell someone that their pet is ugly) and farm green dragons the whole day. Botting has become even worse in terms of people actually buying bots and training their main accounts with them(i have a friend who got 99 agility, smithing and mining by botting) while jagex just looks the other way. And don't even get me started on RWTing, as it's happening more than most of you might think(5% per trade adds up :thumbsup: ).