The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Discussion Thread

sephiroth_king

^^that's the camera. I like first person view solely for combat, then third person view for wandering. That is, until someone successfully creates a first person body mod. Then, I will be in first person mode a lot. Hopefully, the modder p-froggy can persevere from his rl issues and finish the mod. He was really far into it.

First Person Viewable Body (watch his trailer)

Bear in mind that is months old, but I'm not willing to give up. There are also other versions as well, like the one from Loup Sombre, whom along with that mod also did a third person actions in first person view mod, which is also in Deadly Reflex as well (though Loup's is glitchy...not sure about the DR version, though).

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

I have it on my Macbook Pro, and I have a bunch of mods like OOO and it runs fine... but I would really like to get a nice desktop for more intense stuff. I also have it on xbox, cause it's fun to play vanilla every once in a while. The thing about having a complete overhaul like OOO was that there are no guides or locations for anything, so you're exploring and finding everything yourself which makes the game SO much better.

Care to explain what OOO is, and does? I would google it, but it's not getting me anywhere.

http://www.oscurogamedesign.com/oscurosoblivionoverhaul-desc-high.html

That's his website where you can read about it and download it. It is one of the biggest overhauls, with the other three that FCOM includes like someone else said. It adds new characters, races, npcs, 1000's of items, more quests, dungeon, spells.... the list goes on. It makes everything static, more balanced, and exciting. Also fixes almost every bug. It's basically amazing :thumbup: The website says there's over 1 million dowloads just in north america alone.

So it's just a compilation of a lot of mods then *hasn't read the website* So is it just a neat package for all the different mods, instead of having to search them all out, find out what you need to install those mods, install that, install the other mods, etc?

^^that's the camera. I like first person view solely for combat, then third person view for wandering. That is, until someone successfully creates a first person body mod. Then, I will be in first person mode a lot. Hopefully, the modder p-froggy can persevere from his rl issues and finish the mod. He was really far into it.

Bear in mind that is months old, but I'm not willing to give up. There are also other versions as well, like the one from Loup Sombre, whom along with that mod also did a third person actions in first person view mod, which is also in Deadly Reflex as well (though Loup's is glitchy...not sure about the DR version, though).

Just shift you aim a little, all aim is off to the Right if you have it at right side, or left if you have it off to the left side.

I have it on my Macbook Pro, and I have a bunch of mods like OOO and it runs fine... but I would really like to get a nice desktop for more intense stuff. I also have it on xbox, cause it's fun to play vanilla every once in a while. The thing about having a complete overhaul like OOO was that there are no guides or locations for anything, so you're exploring and finding everything yourself which makes the game SO much better.

Care to explain what OOO is, and does? I would google it, but it's not getting me anywhere.

That's his website where you can read about it and download it. It is one of the biggest overhauls, with the other three that FCOM includes like someone else said. It adds new characters, races, npcs, 1000's of items, more quests, dungeon, spells.... the list goes on. It makes everything static, more balanced, and exciting. Also fixes almost every bug. It's basically amazing :thumbup: The website says there's over 1 million dowloads just in north america alone.

So it's just a compilation of a lot of mods then *hasn't read the website* So is it just a neat package for all the different mods, instead of having to search them all out, find out what you need to install those mods, install that, install the other mods, etc?

Just shift you aim a little, all aim is off to the Right if you have it at right side, or left if you have it off to the left side.

Oh no, sorry for the confusion. FCOM is a compilation of 4 huge mods, OOO being one of them and standing for the O. All the things I described in the last post are all in OOO, one mod made by one person.

2s0cxth.png

Oh no, sorry for the confusion. FCOM is a compilation of 4 huge mods, OOO being one of them and standing for the O. All the things I described in the last post are all in OOO, one mod made by one person.

I believe I had FCOM downloaded but never got around to installing it.

At around January 6th or so GameInformers website will be doing a month long Skyrim preview leaks, and so far they say this game is amazing. Can't really complain there.

Until then, there really isn't a whole lot to say. 'Cept wait for Bethesda to post some things of their own. I'm just glad I'm finally on winter break. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gameinformer cover revealed. Check it out on the first page. I will post images from GI when I see them, but no scans from the magazine, as it is illegal to do so. However, I will link to other sites that have them. Expect them sometime in the next couple of days, and I will also post information from the magazine itself.

That is all. :)

I'm really excited about this game. The only Elder Scrolls game I've played is Oblivion and I love it so much. I still can't put it down after almost a year (I entered late into the series). And I doubt I'll stop playing anytime soon. And Skyrim looks amazing! I can't wait.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

Here is some info from the GI issue.

On leveling:

Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.

Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.

Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:

Mysticism is gone.

18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.

Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

On the story and lore:

200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.

The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.

Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.

Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:

They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.

You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.

Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.

They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:

Third person view has been improved

5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.

On quests:

Quests are much more dynamic now.

The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.

Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

vizardsig-1.png

Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.

:twisted: Time to save up a ton of cash and let an entire town fight over it... then steal it back in the middle of the fight.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Here is some info from the GI issue.

On leveling:

Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.

Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.

Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:

Mysticism is gone.

18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.

Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

On the story and lore:

200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.

The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.

Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.

Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:

They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.

You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.

Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.

They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:

Third person view has been improved

5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.

On quests:

Quests are much more dynamic now.

The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.

Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

Seems like they put a lot of effort in tackling all the elements Oblivion fell short with. In fact, I might give this one a try even though I hated Oblivion.

Thanks for the info, Zilla. Don't have my GI et. I'll update the post later on with your info and other info that I've found. A for screens, anyone looking should simply google it, but the images found are usually grainy for the most part. The graphics aren't bad, though, from what I've heard.

I found another recap from NeoGAF. I think it includes some missed points and is a quick summary.

Yet another recap:

-A variation of level scaling.

-Dynamic Shadows

-Overhauled Combat-system

-Improved Faces/Improved Models Example: Faces have been dramatically overhauled. Characters now exhibit more emotion show of distinctions between different races and just plain looks better.

-Radiant AI

-Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)

Trees and branches move independently with the wind

Water flows

-Randomly generated quests.

-Beards

-You can't run backwards as fast as you do forward.

-10 races to choose from (Holy crap thats a lot of races)

-confirmed creatures: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth, saber-toothed cats

-presumeably open cities (as dragons can attack)

-Hud-free first-person view and improved third-person perspective

-very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!

-Character creation improved, body features customizable

-2-handed weapons and duel wielding confirmed.

-Finishing moves, unique to each weapon and enemy you fight.

-Kids

-The game takes place 2 centuries after Oblivion

-Sprint is added !

- Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy

- cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing

-18 skills.

-Perk picking at every level-up

-5 Magic Schools Destruction Alteration Conjuration Restoration Illusion.

vizardsig-1.png

I remember being a little disappointed with parts of the Oblivion "dynamic" world, such as leaving a weapon in the street thing listed above, stuff like that was supposed to be in Oblivion. If it actually gets done in this one that would be sweet. I don't see a Betheseda game ever getting the third person view right, but I don't really care about that because I play in fp view. Not being able to move backwards as fast as forwards will completely change the way you have to fight in the games, so that will be awesome. They fix the faces while talking and I will be happy.

Pretty excited.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Zenimax moderators said that was actually a troll on the official forums. :P

I remember being a little disappointed with parts of the Oblivion "dynamic" world, such as leaving a weapon in the street thing listed above, stuff like that was supposed to be in Oblivion. If it actually gets done in this one that would be sweet.

Stuff like that is always either extremely scripted, or it doesn't work at all.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

Got my Game Informer copy.

Looks amazing so far. Very awesome graphics, and apparently the 'dynamic world' is a step up from the system that set NPC schedules and interactions, applied to your own character. It says it will include things like what items you have, what places you've visited, what enemies you've killed, and what skills you've trained. An example they gave was that a magic-focused character may get challenged by another magic-user, who wouldn't bother if you had trained with weapons. Another example was setting a kidnapping quest in a cave that you haven't visited.

If they get it to work it'll be awesome.

Got my Game Informer copy.

Looks amazing so far. Very awesome graphics, and apparently the 'dynamic world' is a step up from the system that set NPC schedules and interactions, applied to your own character. It says it will include things like what items you have, what places you've visited, what enemies you've killed, and what skills you've trained. An example they gave was that a magic-focused character may get challenged by another magic-user, who wouldn't bother if you had trained with weapons. Another example was setting a kidnapping quest in a cave that you haven't visited.

If they get it to work it'll be awesome.

Just got my copy of Game Informer too, I think I was most excited about the endless weapon combinations and stamina revamp. I will definitely create the ultimate rogue! Lol

Oshmannj.png