A way to fix the combat triangle

CharlieBrown

But seriously, is this what we've all been waiting for? With the new damage soaking update comes a new perspective.

Read:

This ability has been added in line with the combat triangle, so youll find that magic armour is generally better at soaking melee damage, for instance. Also, how much damage you can soak is cumulative based on all the armour you have equipped, which should add an extra dimension to choosing what combat gear you wear.

What will this mean for hybrids? Will the soak be enough to fix what was left of the triangle?

Initial thoughts?

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

But seriously, is this what we've all been waiting for? With the new damage soaking update comes a new perspective.

Read:

This ability has been added in line with the combat triangle, so you’ll find that magic armour is generally better at soaking melee damage, for instance. Also, how much damage you can soak is cumulative based on all the armour you have equipped, which should add an extra dimension to choosing what combat gear you wear.

What will this mean for hybrids? Will the soak be enough to fix what was left of the triangle?

Initial thoughts?

IMO it'll just screw mages ... We had Melee users with ranged armour because it lowers the chance of mages hitting them ... now it lowers the chance AND the damage.

(I know it's impractical and inefficient) Ranged armour soaks ranged and magic damage, and obby shield has 11% ranged soaking and 5% melee soaking. So Black DHide armour + Obby shield should be .. somewhere around 20% magic soaking, 15% ranged soaking and 5% melee soaking ... with good all-round defense. (I'm not sure about CWars prefered equipment but that + a Crapier ?)

They don't have the balls to add negative melee attack bonus to the ranged armors. (and negative soaking to some items instead of 0).

That's exactly right. Melee armour hinders Magic and Range. Range Armour hinders Magic. Magic armour doesn't hinder melee or range. The game is rigged folks!

Range armour needs to be given negative bonuses to melee stats. Dungeoneering armour is balanced relatively well because of positive and negative bonuses. Jagex needs to have the bullocks to make the required change and balance out combat.

Fellsig.jpg

They don't have the balls to add negative melee attack bonus to the ranged armors. (and negative soaking to some items instead of 0).

That's exactly right. Melee armour hinders Magic and Range. Range Armour hinders Magic. Magic armour doesn't hinder melee or range. The game is rigged folks!

Range armour needs to be given negative bonuses to melee stats. Dungeoneering armour is balanced relatively well because of positive and negative bonuses. Jagex needs to have the bullocks to make the required change and balance out combat.

Well if a whip had like -10% mage absorbtion.. a meleeing wouldn't be able to fight a mage independend from his armour.. - Thus meleeers wouldn't resort to wielding range armour!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Well if a whip had like -10% mage absorbtion.. a meleeing wouldn't be able to fight a mage independend from his armour.. - Thus meleeers wouldn't resort to wielding range armour!

Why would your weaponry absorb damage? It has to be based on the armor, not the weapon, otherwise you're making bandaids and not fixing the ongoing infection that is the screwed up melee favoring.

(EDIT: Wait, were you being sarcastic?)

hzvjpwS.gif

Why would your weaponry absorb damage? It has to be based on the armor, not the weapon, otherwise you're making bandaids and not fixing the ongoing infection that is the screwed up melee favoring.

(EDIT: Wait, were you being sarcastic?)

no, using NEGATIVE absorbtion on WEAPON will make that weapon weaker vs a specific type of oponnent..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

That honestly has to be half of what's wrong with the combat triangle.... Personally, my favorite way to set up weapons/armour would be to make it all like range. A fairly good chunk of your offense comes from your armour. But seriously, could they please give dragonhide some sort of negative bonus >.<

Although, on the other hand, that'd mess up a fair bit of PVM...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Read:

This ability has been added in line with the combat triangle, so youll find that magic armour is generally better at soaking melee damage, for instance. Also, how much damage you can soak is cumulative based on all the armour you have equipped, which should add an extra dimension to choosing what combat gear you wear.

Initial thoughts?

No. And no.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

the damage update has a very little effect on what it was supposed to do, which is reduce the ridiculous power of attacks. most people wear melee armor which at best has like a 15 % total soak. this is nothing. we need like 50 soak or 20 overall reduction

also to be clear it's not the triangle that's broken but more combat power in general

a good brid stands to benefit from this update because mages have highest melee soak

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

the damage update has a very little effect on what it was supposed to do, which is reduce the ridiculous power of attacks. most people wear melee armor which at best has like a 15 % total soak. this is nothing. we need like 50 soak or 20 overall reduction

also to be clear it's not the triangle that's broken but more combat power in general

a good brid stands to benefit from this update because mages have highest melee soak

Which is well deserved, thank god. :pray:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.