Price Caps... the way to bring back tradable Holiday drops?

uber_dad

I was thinking... the reason Jagex is making holiday drops untradable is because they don't want to ruin the economy the way things like party hats and the like did. Perhaps the possible solution is to put price caps on items? This would also prevent price scamming/gouging. Perhaps make the upper limit double the high alch limit or something. Just a thought.

uber_dad.png

People will easily find ways around it, for example by letting people 'pay' up front before getting the item.

Thus this will only lead into more people getting scammed.

Talking about them 'ruining the economy' - I think more people would be complaining when we no longer have rares to somewhat prevent inflation problems.

jagex has no power to control price..

price is determine between the seller, buyer, supply and demand for that item...

economics shall explain the bulk of pricing and theories behind....

They can only control price throught sanctions.. but how on earth is jagex gonna place sanctions on players owning rare items? like unable to level up?

unlikely isn't it?

Juz hope that it kinda die down... the introduction of such caps and scarfs may serve as replacement items for phat and mask.. as this will in turn reduce the demand for holiday items.

If you are kinda free, monitor the price of santa hats.. prices have dipped :lol: not much but it actually 1 way to curb prices..

introduce substitutes...

JAGeX doesn't have enough power to enforce player prices, neither have they the right to do so (in a sense). That is the way the economy goes, and to stop it means to halt 90% of growth in Runescape all together. Besides, they can't anyway.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

JAGeX doesn't have enough power to enforce player prices, neither have they the right to do so (in a sense).

Rofl. Don't make me laugh. Complete nonsense. Of course they have enough power, it's their game, so they make them untradeable. The economy would be much better off without tradeable rares. THey mess up the economy.

sidewalksigpng9qg.png

Hazardmaster.png

I meant the price cap thing. JAGeX cannot enforce it. As said before, players can just evade it by... whatever he said.

And how exactly does rares mess up the economy? What is your idea of a good economy then?

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Price cap is a bad idea. As it stands:

Tradable holiday items (santas, party hats, masks, etc...) are a Status Symbol for how rich a player is

Untradable holiday items (scythes, rubber chickens, etc...) are a symbol of how long the player has been playing.

If you try to balance these things by having a tradable item with a price cap... well, to be honest, what's the point in owning one of these items? They're cheap, they bring no stat boosts, and since they're so cheap and tradable, any newb and his dog could own one. They lose all meaning.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

party hats own ur just jealous cos you aint one

I'm actually quite happy I'm not a party hat :lol:

Rares keep the rest of the economy stable, millions of gp are in the game, if they're not being spent on rares, they're going to be spent on other things and raise the prices of those. Which would you rather have, expensive party hats which serve no true purpose besides status symbol, or materials (such as ores, d hides, etc.) triply expensive as compared to right now (not to mention how much dragon armor would go up)?

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

Add your blog to the BlogScape Index!

SaidinWoT can now be tracked easily on weekends - Erm, maybe when I start playing again.

Levels do not measure intelligence OR maturity.

there will be no tradeable holiday drops.

ever

none

ever

anything that could POSSIBLY become a discontinued item will be definitely not tradable

ever

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank

JAGeX doesn't have enough power to enforce player prices, neither have they the right to do so (in a sense).

Rofl. Don't make me laugh. Complete nonsense. Of course they have enough power, it's their game, so they make them untradeable. The economy would be much better off without tradeable rares. THey mess up the economy.

well jagex wont yank phats, santas, masks, etc off the market. but you are right, the economy would have been more natural without them. there is nothing anywhere near the price of phats in runescape, and if they didnt exist merchanting would have been more sane and passive, and would not be a big deal as it is now.

thats why jagex is preventing this from happening in the future. they did not see 4 years ago that making the holiday drops tradeable would be disasterous, and its too late now to fix it. but they have learned from the mistakes and thats why no more holiday drops will ever be tradeable

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank

LOl, this is not neccarily imposoble, but dumb to do. They should just have another couple holiday drops with p hats and stuff. JUst to lower there rpices a little bit. Im not complain i like the price but im tired of hereing the complaining.

More drops will stull induce complaining, as people whine that JAGeX made them lose money. Taking them off the market is even worse. Personally I think JAGeX should arrange for people to "accidentally" high alchemy them more if they really want them off the market, but either way I couldn't care less. I don't delve into merchanting, espeically not in rares.

~Toxicologist~