'Oldschool' Discussion

Killerken

Hi guys, i have a little story to tell, and a little question to ask..

Yesterday i was watching some Tv, looking at the music channels, here in the netherlands we have mtv, tmf and the box, I was watching the box, wich I ussually dont do because it s*cks pretty badly, but mtv and tmf had some anooying programs...

Anyways, to continue my story, there was a program on the box called : Turn back the box, LOADS of old music.. all like 30 years atleast, so that bored me to :lol: , anyways, i cant figure this out, I just CAN'T think of it, that thirty years from now, they will be playing the music we are now listening to, as OLD SCHOOL, even tho it's so 'high tech'.

But if the graphics and sounds keep on getting better, what will it become?

i can't seem to find the answer, Can you? if so, explain, i'd be happy to read it.

Thanx, Ken 8)

^^Yeah, and im writing a book about it!^^

Bounty Hunter is nothing more than a lame ass excuse not to say there is no PKing.

I HATE JAGEX!

I dont believe they will be playing Gwen Stefani music 30 years from now. It just wont happen. You dont hear nsync or backstreet boys original music anymore now do you? But you still hear the great old rock n roll :)

This is how I look at it; true talent will always be popular and will have longevity but only real talent. All these manufactured pop stars that cant sing wont be remembered but really talented performers will be no matter what.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I think we had a similar discussion about this not long ago ...

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=366575

Music nowadays is a lot more disposable - it's made to be that way; big for a little while but easily forgettable. I doubt many of the artists we have now will be remembered in 20, 30 or 50 years time. But I get the feeling that some of the artists who we remember now - Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and similar, will be remembered quite well in those years to come, because they weren't made to be disposable. That was when music as a whole had some sense of sincerity - before it became controlled by the labels and governed by a fascist industry.

Music in the old days was so much better then it is now. Only person I can really think of that will probably be remembered in 20 - 30 years time is eminem, as much as I hate to say it, can anyone think of anyone else thats greatly influenced music lately?

Off-Topic; Matthius, Jim Morrison is the roxz0rz!11!1oneshifttwo1

Have you seen The Doors movie with Val Kilmer? Bloody awesome movie.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

Music in the old days was so much better then it is now. Only person I can really think of that will probably be remembered in 20 - 30 years time is eminem, as much as I hate to say it, can anyone think of anyone else thats greatly influenced music lately?

I can think of a few artists who have had as much or close to the influence/popularity/recognition he has:

Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails

Marilyn Manson

Korn

Placebo

Audioslave

Deftones

Evanescence

Faith No More

System of a Down

Tool

I can think of a few artists who have had as much or close to the influence/popularity/recognition he has:

Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails

Marilyn Manson

Korn

Placebo

Audioslave

Deftones

Evanescence

Faith No More

System of a Down

Tool

I'm going to have to disagree on Evanescence. They aren't even around anymore? They had like 5 (?) year spurt, but it was nothing new/revolutionary it just helped mainstream listeners be sad and know about tourniquets (sp?).

Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails

Marilyn Manson

Korn

Placebo

Audioslave

Deftones

Evanescence

Faith No More

System of a Down

Tool

I'm going to have to disagree on Evanescence. They aren't even around anymore? They had like 5 (?) year spurt, but it was nothing new/revolutionary it just helped mainstream listeners be sad and know about tourniquets (sp?).

They are still around; they're just currently in off-peak. Whether or not they're original is different; but they successfully added pop-rock to the goth-metal sound of Lacuna Coil and Type O Negative, making it more digestable in a way The Cure and Dead Can Dance didn't. I think there's a possibility for them being remembered, because this most recent album sold well, but it's a matter of their next ...

Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails

Marilyn Manson

Korn

Placebo

Audioslave

Deftones

Evanescence

Faith No More

System of a Down

Tool

5 years? Try 5 months.

Too bad only about one of the bands you listed is actually good... IMHO.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails

Marilyn Manson

Korn

Placebo

Audioslave

Deftones

Evanescence

Faith No More

System of a Down

Tool

Hmmmm...No, none of those are even close to the calibur of what he said. Influence/popularity/recognition...Eminem is MASSIVE, he has way more than any of those bands. Not that he's better, but he's way more popular/recognized. Influential...Maybe not, because think about how many white rappers we've seen that have made it the charts? But he's definately more recognized, mostly due to his 'controversy'.
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

In retrospect, I was wrong to list all those bands ... I doubt many of them will actually have a lot of recognition in a few decades time. But I strongly believe that not a SINGLE band to come will have the same level of decadence, recognition, popularity or respect as those during the golden era of the 60's and 70's; Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and some others.

Influential...Maybe not, because think about how many white rappers we've seen that have made it the charts? But he's definately more recognized, mostly due to his 'controversy'.

lol? eminem's one of the all time best rappers hands down. the only reason hes not worshipped like nas is because he never made one thoroughly amazing album.

need proof? jay-z's considered one of the best rappers of all time (if you've ever even heard of reasonable doubt you know what I mean), and his classic album 'the blueprint' has a song called renegade featuring eminem... em KILLS jay on that track. not to mention em also produced that track.

not influential and only good because of his controversy my [wagon].

anyway on topic rock is virtually dead, hip-hop is what its about now. the whole dirty south thing isnt as good as what hip-hop used to be but some of these new artists are comin out with some pretty tight songs ill still remember 10 years from now.

np: dem franchise boyz - oh i think dey like me

I highly doubt you'll remember many hip-hop songs a decade from now, they seem to have the shelf life of a opened carton of soy milk sitting in the sun.

A new one hit wonder hip-hop artist seems to come about every week, and one seems to slip off the face of earth at the same rate too. Only a few seem to hang around, it's all about the money these days and spinning out as many "big names" as a label can. I wish I was old, so I could of experianced the good ol' days.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

I highly doubt you'll remember many hip-hop songs a decade from now, they seem to have the shelf life of a opened carton of soy milk sitting in the sun.

A new one hit wonder hip-hop artist seems to come about every week, and one seems to slip off the face of earth at the same rate too. Only a few seem to hang around, it's all about the money these days and spinning out as many "big names" as a label can. I wish I was old, so I could of experianced the good ol' days.

Yeah, hip-hop, or rather, hip-pop, is certainly more disposable than any other genre at the moment.

kanye west, common, outkast, the roots, the game, jay-z, nas, eminem and many others have come up with excellent albums in the past few years and are gonna be remembered as classics in hip-hop. not timeless classics like '36 chambers' or 'the chronic' that cross generations and genres of music, but genre classics like 'enta da stage'.

yeah theres a lot of 1-hit wonders around in rap moreso than other genres of music, but they dont COMPLETELY bury the gems that I mentioned earlier.

np: epmd - you gots to chill

Of course Radiohead will be remembered just as much as Eminem in four decades. So will some others in that list, but by far not as much as Eminem, I think. Maybe Korn.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Influential...Maybe not, because think about how many white rappers we've seen that have made it the charts? But he's definately more recognized, mostly due to his 'controversy'.

lol? eminem's one of the all time best rappers hands down. the only reason hes not worshipped like nas is because he never made one thoroughly amazing album.

need proof? jay-z's considered one of the best rappers of all time (if you've ever even heard of reasonable doubt you know what I mean), and his classic album 'the blueprint' has a song called renegade featuring eminem... em KILLS jay on that track. not to mention em also produced that track.

not influential and only good because of his controversy my wagon.

anyway on topic rock is virtually dead, hip-hop is what its about now. the whole dirty south thing isnt as good as what hip-hop used to be but some of these new artists are comin out with some pretty tight songs ill still remember 10 years from now.

np: dem franchise boyz - oh i think dey like me

You are 100% right. Eminems part in that song is WAY better than jay z's. I think eminem is in the top 3 greatest rappers of all time. It's between him Tupac, and Notorious B.I.G, I think they have the most influenece of all on people. And Mr. Putter, I can think of two- Lil Wyte and Paul Wall.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting