L2Ski

religion

I think that there are no other documentations besides Oh, you know that resurrection that other guy talked about? Yeah well here's why it is so great but I'm not really positive about that.

Hey i kinda feel like a new topic soo what about gods morality? Here's an example of why I do not think that god (christian god anyways) would be a moral being: infinite punishment/reward for finite deeds. Here's a good analogy lets say your son/daughter kills a person then robs a bank what do you do:

A. Call the police

B. Do nothing (he/she your kid right)

C. Make a torture chamber in your basement and torture for all eternity

In this situation the Christian god most likely would choose C (if I'm interpreting this right) now would you consider this moral?

This isn't a good thing to argue about because any Christian will tell you that no mortal man can make a call about whether or not somebody is going to go to hell. The Christian God would not necessarily choose C because no sin guarantees your place in Hell, as long as you "find Jesus" or something like that.

Fair enough point, though I forgot to mention that the person has not "found Jesus" and also pretty sure that if you break the 5th commandment and you don't repent you would go to hell.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

Maybe the devil is a nice guy and hell a decent place. God just wants to make his enemy look bad. :P

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Maybe the devil is a nice guy and hell a decent place. God just wants to make his enemy look bad. :P

Possible.

Another possibility is that God is real and he made all of this religion stuff to see who is going to live their life stubbornly and who is going to live rationally. Then when people die, everyone who was blindly having faith about God gets punished and everyone who used logic and reason to form ideas about the world will be rewarded with eternal life.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Possible.

Another possibility is that God is real and he made all of this religion stuff to see who is going to live their life stubbornly and who is going to live rationally. Then when people die, everyone who was blindly having faith about God gets punished and everyone who used logic and reason to form ideas about the world will be rewarded with eternal life.

Ha. If there was a god then I don't think he would send anyone to "hell". He would understand that he made humans in a way that it is inevitable that many would "sin" and some much more than others. Its all part of his creation anyway, I don't think that he would be a perfectionist. He would simple accept everyone, because he knows that "god works in mysterious ways."

Interesting scriptural studies observation, which I remember because of the incest comment, if you read Genesis, obviously there's Adam and Eve who have their two sons Cain and Abel. After Cain kills Abels, God punishes him by having him wander the Earth, but so that no one who finds him kills him, he's marked. Now if there were only two other people in the entire rest of the world according to a literal interpretation, why would Cain even have fear of running into them? That's presuming that his parents were still alive and that they would be capable of killing him. Elements like this prove it is a myth not to be taken literally. Genesis is primarily just in address to the theological Problem of Evil, not an accurate discourse of anthropology.

And you don't think that it is equally likely that the rest of the stories in the Bible are of the same nature? Mythology created to serve a human purpose?

Did I ever say it wasn't? Or at least the majority of it is. The Old Testament is essentially an overt development of Judeo-thought. Anyone who thinks it fully literal is obviously not a Semite, because figurative and symbolic stories are integral parts of Semitic cultures.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Interesting scriptural studies observation, which I remember because of the incest comment, if you read Genesis, obviously there's Adam and Eve who have their two sons Cain and Abel. After Cain kills Abels, God punishes him by having him wander the Earth, but so that no one who finds him kills him, he's marked. Now if there were only two other people in the entire rest of the world according to a literal interpretation, why would Cain even have fear of running into them? That's presuming that his parents were still alive and that they would be capable of killing him. Elements like this prove it is a myth not to be taken literally. Genesis is primarily just in address to the theological Problem of Evil, not an accurate discourse of anthropology.

And you don't think that it is equally likely that the rest of the stories in the Bible are of the same nature? Mythology created to serve a human purpose?

Did I ever say it wasn't? Or at least the majority of it is. The Old Testament is essentially an overt development of Judeo-thought. Anyone who thinks it fully literal is obviously not a Semite, because figurative and symbolic stories are integral parts of Semitic cultures.

So your saying that if you think it is literal you can't be a Semite?

Possible.

Ha. If there was a god then I don't think he would send anyone to "hell". He would understand that he made humans in a way that it is inevitable that many would "sin" and some much more than others. Its all part of his creation anyway, I don't think that he would be a perfectionist. He would simple accept everyone, because he knows that "god works in mysterious ways."

I would think that god would be a perfectionist, i mean he created the world :shock: Though ya i doubt that even if god did exist he would send people to hell considering he kinda made em.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

I would think that god would be a perfectionist, i mean he created the world :shock: Though ya i doubt that even if god did exist he would send people to hell considering he kinda made em.

Exactly, the world doesn't seem perfect to most people. But then again maybe thats just part of the perfectness... that it has the flexibility to seem imperfect.

Exactly, the world doesn't seem perfect to most people. But then again maybe thats just part of the perfectness... that it has the flexibility to seem imperfect.

That's a bit contradictory isn't it?

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

I read that and I got annoyed because I was like no I didn't say that, but it appears I actually did once I went back and read what I wrote haha. What I meant to say was anyone who interprets it literally is not well-versed in its proper and original context, i.e. Semitic culture. Now one may argue Hellenistic influences, yes, but that's more so an argument that is had to determine how much is not Semitic, not if there is a Semitic basis.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Life may seem very contradictory at times. Its not perfect if it doesn't have the capability to seem imperfect.

Life may seem very contradictory at times. Its not perfect if it doesn't have the capability to seem imperfect.

Then an imperfect life would seem perfect?

I read that and I got annoyed because I was like no I didn't say that, but it appears I actually did once I went back and read what I wrote haha. What I meant to say was anyone who interprets it literally is not well-versed in its proper and original context, i.e. Semitic culture. Now one may argue Hellenistic influences, yes, but that's more so an argument that is had to determine how much is not Semitic, not if there is a Semitic basis.

Oh, okay that makes more sense.

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Exactly, it could. Perfect and imperfect are subjective anyway. One man's imperfect may be another man's perfect.

Exactly, it could. Perfect and imperfect are subjective anyway. One man's imperfect may be another man's perfect.

What would you then define as a perfect world?

Mine would be:

A mix of both poverty (nothing extreme) and wealth (nothing extreme)

Wars (conflicts really) but nothing like WWI or WWII or even Iraq/Afghanistan.

Freedom of speech/religion

No religious bias

Low but still existent crime rates

Those are the basic parameters to my "perfect" world, because you need the bad in the world to remind you of the good.

Also would you then agree with this (as said in the book 1984 by George Orwell):War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Power

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

If a God exists he's so superior to us that he's probably not even part of the same dimension. Every religion says he's perfect, so theoretically we can all agree on that. Why should people even bother joining different religions?

It's interesting some people support the idea that humanity is made to believe. Is being atheist natural? Nature does expect us to resist it a little, though.

signaturemw.png

If a God exists he's so superior to us that he's probably not even part of the same dimension. Every religion says he's perfect, so theoretically we can all agree on that. Why should people even bother joining different religions?

It's interesting some people support the idea that humanity is made to believe. Is being atheist natural? Nature does expect us to resist it a little, though.

Made to believe?

You mean like theres a gene that wants us to believe that an intelligent creator is responsible for the universe?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

The concept of a perfect god is a Greek one. See weak theology, etc. Assumptions, assumptions.

kaisershami.png

What is God without Satan?

God would still be God. A lack of Satan would not change how God exists although people might not count him as good

Fakeitormakeit may I ask what the Arabic (I believe) symbols in your picture mean?

First of not every religion states that god is perfect. But even if they all did they're definitions of perfection would be very different from eachother. For example look at my earlier post about a perfect world I'm betting that yours (or someone else's) would be different from yours. The fight (I think) is less over that there is a god (unless its between theists and atheists) but who's god is the one that actually exists. Also when you say perfect are you referring to the Greek idea of perfect.

May I ask this you don't have to answer if you don't want to, are you theist or atheist? It seems that your are looking for a justification to be atheist? And are you saying that nature has given us a gene that makes us more inclined to be a theist than an atheist?

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Made to believe?

You mean like theres a gene that wants us to believe that an intelligent creator is responsible for the universe?

Maybe not a specific gene, but we certainly are inclined to believe and search for the supernatural, both from a sociological and a psychological point of view. And atheism (be it right or wrong) seems to be an evolutionary novel idea, along with liberalism and sexual exclusivity.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Made to believe?

Maybe not a specific gene, but we certainly are inclined to believe and search for the supernatural, both from a sociological and a psychological point of view. And atheism (be it right or wrong) seems to be an evolutionary novel idea, along with liberalism and sexual exclusivity.

I would have to disagree with the statement that atheism is a novel idea, liberalism I'm not so sure about, and sexual exclusivity is relatively recent. And ofcourse we would be inclined to believe in god from a sociological or psychological view because humans want to feel special/important or just have a strong belief/hope to help them through life.

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Made to believe?

I would have to disagree with the statement that atheism is a novel idea, liberalism I'm not so sure about, and sexual exclusivity is relatively recent. And ofcourse we would be inclined to believe in god from a sociological or psychological view because humans want to feel special/important or just have a strong belief/hope to help them through life.

One of the main reasons people want to believe in a God and even an Afterlife is the somewhat inherent fear of death and the end to one's on existence and the novel complex of punishment for one's wrongdoings--its mostly Psychological. Sociology can really only explain the spread of an idea to different persons.

Humans that look at a universe and say to themselves, "Wow, things could have been different," will realize just simply that--things could have been different. A human race that looks at the universe and says, "Wow, things could have been different...I may not have existed...therefore I must have been ordained to exist!"

Its an emotional appeal; which of those two scenarios seems more positive? That one is ordained, or that we are simply stupid Apes trying to solve the greatest questions that are floating around now? A human mind is prone to illusion mixed with emotion, and it is no wonder the many Gods and even Goddesses have existed throughout time.

I believe that a thinking mind that uses evidence and corroboration to solve things in daily life is naturally what the human mind seeks, but is ultimately overpowered and torn askew by the emotion of the individuals and slowly spread to the masses.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

hey guys let's go back to the original point of this thread, do you think religion is good for the world. Also (I'm adding this) has the good its down outweighed the bad?

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

hey guys let's go back to the original point of this thread, do you think religion is good for the world. Also (I'm adding this) has the good its down outweighed the bad?

It's really hard to say, since we don't know of a world without religion.

I think morality is good for the world. I think blind belief without evidence or especially in spite of evidence is very bad for the world.

But if I had the choice between a world where everybody had morals and nobody believed in science, versus a world where nobody had morals and everyone believed in science, I would have to pick the moral world.

But I really do think that morality can be completely seperated from religion. Why do we need a man in the sky in order to express our beliefs about what is right and wrong?

Myweponsgood.gif

The concept of a perfect god is a Greek one. See weak theology, etc. Assumptions, assumptions.

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge but I thought Gods that werent perfect and acted almost human was also Greek. See gods that do bad things out of jealousy and fear

It's really hard to say, since we don't know of a world without religion.

I think morality is good for the world. I think blind belief without evidence or especially in spite of evidence is very bad for the world.

But if I had the choice between a world where everybody had morals and nobody believed in science, versus a world where nobody had morals and everyone believed in science, I would have to pick the moral world.

But I really do think that morality can be completely seperated from religion. Why do we need a man in the sky in order to express our beliefs about what is right and wrong?

Ya i guess a moral world with no science would be better than a world with no morals but that would also be debatable. Also your completely right about not needing a religion to have morals, I mean I'm not religious but I consider myself moral.

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge but I thought Gods that werent perfect and acted almost human was also Greek. See gods that do bad things out of jealousy and fear

What Fakeit meant was when you say perfect do you mean the Greek idea of perfect: which i think is unchanging. The Greek religion had the gods be unperfect for a reason gods don't have to be the definition of perfect in a culture.

Dheginsea.png

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH