For the ppl who THINK they been playing for 11+ years

Bmms

Anyone claiming they have played RuneScape Classic as is for more than five years are incorrect, as it underwent heavy changes when others joined the RuneScape team. A simple question would be to ask what the most popular city was back then. (Hint: Lumbridge. Best place to fish, and used to have a mining spot and anvils, along with a bank. Couldn't smith or mine anything better mith back then, though, but you could buy it. The other cities at the time were either for buying/selling, like Varrock, or for training combat, like Al Kharid and barbarian village).

Amarant Kenaston

You are talking about lumbridge in RSC from a long time ago? Well if it is in RSC and that long ago, fishing wouldn't have been added yet, there was no item banks, you couldn't smith anything better than steel (I think iron plate main body needed 64? smithing and steel plate mail body needed 99 smithing, later the levels got changed).

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you remmeber edge was called ghost village/town cant remember if it was village or town

~Bmms

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

I remember the days when you dident need 40 to wield rune and whatnot... I also remember rune BA being like 1 mill ><, good days imo.. The game is flooded with hackers and jerks now..

they were the best days:) i loved to be lvl 4 with addy and mith and what now

~bmms

a91e22ec.gif

Company History

In December 2001 Andrew Gower, Paul Gower and Constant Tedder got together and founded Jagex Limited as a commercial operation to take over the running of RuneScape, underlying technologies and other games developed by Andrew. RuneScape had already by then become a game which had had over 1 million accounts created over 2001!

The three founders set out with two immediate tasks: firstly to make the operation of RuneScape commercially viable, establishing long term advertising sales relationships and secondly to develop a premium version of the game for subscription-paying members.

Both of these tasks were achieved soon after, and on 27th February 2002 Jagex launched RuneScape Members version. In the first week after launch over 5000 people subscribed making RuneScape instantly one of the largest pay-to-play Java games in the world.

Since that date RuneScape has gone from strength to strength: expanding as both a game - with regular updates giving new storylines, quests and maps produced by content development team and as an ever-growing community of sociable online game players.

Future Development

Jagex has proprietary network communication and graphics compression technologies which are utilized in all its games. These technologies are continually evolving and form the backbone of our development plans.

RuneScape was completely re-written during the latter part of 2003 and early 2004 allowing 'RuneScape 2' to be launched in March 2004. 'RS2' features a completely new games engine and vastly improved graphics for an even more fun playing experience. At the same time we maintained the 'play anywhere' philosophy that is central to our offering. This upgrade makes RuneScape by far the most advanced Java game in the world and will enable the company to attack and achieve our ambitious targets.

We intend to become a significant online operator in all the major gaming markets worldwide; developing and commercializing highly compelling persistent character games that appeal to as wide an audience as possible, based on cutting edge technologies developed in house.

Our ambition for 2005 is to exceed 400,000 subscribers for RuneScape, to take RuneScape into other non-english language markets and to begin the development of a completely new game.

Nearly 5 years in the making.. i myself have been playing since early spring 2k1.. soo.. >.>

http://www.onrpg.com/review173.html

there saying 1998 i think that might have been between teh gowers and then it was public released in 2001

~bmms

a91e22ec.gif

Here's my post on the occurances after I began playing:

Approx Date - The wilderness had just been invented, So around August 2001.

Anyone could wield any times of armor. I remember there being lvl 5's with full rune + chain ( couldnt do dragon slayer ).

Back then when you started an account you could choose between:

Adventurer

Warrior

Mage

Miner

Chef? - I think

Choosing what you began has hardly meant anything, apart from a small increase in starting lvls and items in invent. ( E.G. Mage - 9 magic staff, Warrior, 3 att def str, sword and shield )

There was just ONE trade screen where you accepted with a small green dot. Scamming was extremly easy, and I found myself the victim many times ( Lost my black plate to a mith plate which switched to an iron plate - back then was a hell of a lot for me ).

R2h's were around 1 mil + and baxes around 700k +, very expensive.

Tradeable quest items existed, meaning this was the beggining of pure plates as no magic lvl was required for telekenetic grab.

I'll write more later, gotta go now...

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

scythes were dropped halloween of 2003 :x

Ya

but well we cant really say "5+" years since 5 years is comming soon but more liek 6+:)

~Bmms

a91e22ec.gif

i been playing since 2000 i know since i made my msn account same time as i made rs account, high scores were great as you could see the best person of each skill online on the server :D i admit i was top once or twice for some of them, no edge no wilderness no banks, was annoying everoyne had like 10 mules to carry 30 things lol

i dont know if i was just total noob when i started, but when i figured out u could bury bones i thought i was the only one lol. and i was pretty usre that there were no prayers to pray. I started january 2002, just after the christmas cracker drop

Jimmy+Kak.png

currently smithing

why does this agurment come up every now and then lol.

Alpha = pre release = was only open to a very small few testers. Rab/gugge/myself/merlin were the main testers other than Andrews brothers and one or two friends, actually most times it was mainly only Rab and myself online testing with Gugge and Merlin often.

Beta = 4 Jan 2001 = public release to open sign ups. = no more resets! resets as in , all your lvls etc was wiped and you had to start all over again testing everything inclucding quests again.

Yep , lightning and merlin , I remember hearing alot about you two :).

Some things I remember / heard was...

In the beta werent there a few better gfx than in rs1

, like trees?.

You could disconnect yourself from the game by pulling your cord. Jagex fixed that later...lol , that musta been fun.

All before RSC released first members stuff, it was called beta, so a lot of people did beta test it...
no it wasnt lol, beta test consisted of real life friends of creaters (Constant Tyler,Paul Gower and Andrew Gower) and some were lightning,Rab,Merlin,rsguide and others

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

for all those ppl who say they been playing since 1999 or 2000 i have the facts to disprove that

Release date(s)

RuneScape 1 (Classic) - January 4th, 2001

Runescape 2 (Modern) - March 29, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runescape

~Bmms

ur not very good at maths, jan 4th 2001, today is jan 19th, ive played rs for over 5 yrs,

Brnz--4rr0wz

94 Magic, 61 Combat :D GF

All before RSC released first members stuff, it was called beta, so a lot of people did beta test it...
no it wasnt lol, beta test consisted of real life friends of creaters (Constant Tyler,Paul Gower and Andrew Gower) and some were lightning,Rab,Merlin,rsguide and others

Yes it was, you're an idiot and don't know what you're talking about.

well i havent been playing the whole time (i'm retired/quit now), but i started 4.5 years ago

imoldrs.PNG

i've read through about 10 full topics on the rsc boards here tonight, and i've realized that i really do miss rs.

i still remember my first day:

not knowing which dot i was on the map

not knowing how to pick up the iron dagger in the goblin house

not knowing what to do with bones

NO TUTORIAL ISLAND

my peak:

being 84 70 91 84 with 60 prayer, 1 magic at 89.875 combat (behedr rabit)

my low:

after starting my cheating days (NOT ON BEHEDR RABIT OR JTMAN870), trying to get some auto program or another, only to get a keylogger and have 20 mill worth of items/gp/pking supplies/armor/etc stolen from behedr. shortly thereafter, after/during a failing comeback, i sold behedr for 150 USD and over the next few months he was owned by several cheaters and was eventually banned. what a waste...

i remember nearly everthing that has happened since i've been playing including (but not limited to... and in no particular order):

my good buddy mctavish "inventing" prayer beasts with a thread on these very boards

the zar family 2/max333 "wars"

no level requirements for armor

trying to decide if it was worth the money to buy an adam long sword from the shop in varrock

the (very, very delayed) realeases of p2p and rs2

buying my first rune battle from smackattack for an ungodly amount of gp/smithing supplies totalling nearly 800K??

being banned from these forums on many occasions (hopefully that is not repeated in a few minutes for this admittance)

skipping many, many, many things irl that i probably shouldn't have to play rs

not believing people when they tried to say that their rune shield was a rune kite (psh, we ALL knew that nobody had anything better than a rune square)

good stuff.

i wish jagex could somehow reinstate the rs i knew 2.5-3 years ago.

(after typing that line, i looked at the screeny of when i got 80 hp: it was januray 26, 2004. almost exactly 2 years ago. so i guess i wish they'd change it back to about... spring-summer 2004. i believe that was when i was in my prime... and the fall of 2003 was probably when rs was in its prime)

i miss it all.

jt

edit (for clarification): i know that picture says recoveries were set in february 2002. but at the bottom of the pic i wrote that this date was when recovery questions/answers were introduced into rs, and that i had actually started playing in (approximately) september 2001.

edit #2: haha, i almost forgot: the green party hat that i had for years? yep, bought it for (drumroll...) A DIAMOND AMMY. and at the time, i was very reluctant to do this trade. good stuff.

edit #3:

i also remember mining loads of iron, and selling them 12 at a time for saphire necklaces. (the guy was a hardcore crafter, may have been thebighat99... i dont remember though)

i really major goal in my life (at the time, this was like 3.5 years ago) was to get into the miners guild

the standard "outfit" for most average players was: rune long, rune legs, adam plate, adam kite, and rune medium. so goofy, but i remember seeing this EVERYWHERE

i think i should be done now