For the ppl who THINK they been playing for 11+ years

Bmms

All before RSC released first members stuff, it was called beta, so a lot of people did beta test it...
no it wasnt lol, beta test consisted of real life friends of creaters (Constant Tyler,Paul Gower and Andrew Gower) and some were lightning,Rab,Merlin,rsguide and others

Yes it was, you're an idiot and don't know what you're talking about.

meh. i guess it was beta lol. still played longer than you though

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started when there was a ad that poped up every hour an it told you to please click on the ad banners.

Main is banned-78 40 99 90hp-RSC

BANNED FOR BAD NAME!!

Current rs2 account 45 att 45 str 50 def 47hp

1 mage 1 prayer 1 range

I suggest knowing your facts before you post something like that. Runescape has been out for longer than 5years. I originally found runescape on a website called Gamehippo. When i first started playing when you stepped out of lumbridge you could be pked. That would be going almost 7 years ago.

Release date(s)

RuneScape 1 (Classic) - January 4th, 2001

ur not very good at maths, jan 4th 2001, today is jan 19th, ive played rs for over 5 yrs,

well your blind its so sad

notice it says release dates thast the day rsc was realsed to the public or beta testing DUH

~Bmms

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

I suggest knowing your facts before you post something like that. Runescape has been out for longer than 5years. I originally found runescape on a website called Gamehippo. When i first started playing when you stepped out of lumbridge you could be pked. That would be going almost 7 years ago.

Actually he is right. Rs was found in 2001 and you could have been pked after leaving Lumby if you had set your style to a pker.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Wiki doesnt lie!?!?!

so get you facts right

i also have a chara with old recovs same day the password was change and it has a bank pin i logged on it after my main was banned i was goign to use it as a new main(name: ecd69)

old4im.png

~bmms

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

I think only a few people played the Beta though....F2P before members was NOT Beta.

Well Lightning already corrected you but I wanna put my oar in as well.

Yes it was beta. Why else would Jagex thank us players for beta testing their game?

Due to much demand we are planning on launching a new premium RuneScape service soon. This will bring a whole load of great benefits such as: frequent updates, NO-adverts, good customer support, no scammers/cheaters (we'll kick 'em out), and much more! We're hoping to make it available for just $5 a month, and this tiny amount of money will pay for many great RuneScape updates to come, and will ensure we can keep running RuneScape for YOU.

This is great news, because it will enable us to offer you more frequent RuneScape updates. Some of the first updates we have planned include: A duelling system, more monsters (wolf, giant-bat, lizard-man etc..), lots of new items, sound effects, more quests, and there will be loads more stuff after this.

We hope that many people will be able to afford the very small amount we are asking, if you really really can't afford to pay then don't worry, because there will still be a FREE RuneScape service available. Obviously since this service will be offered for free, we won't be able to keep offering regular updates to non-paying members. In actual fact running the free service will cost us a lot of money but we want to thank all the people who have helped us beta-test the game so far, and so will try keep it going as long as possible.

Thanks for all your support.

Andrew Gower

From the old news archive. :P

Perhaps you simply weren't too involved in the community in 2001 so you weren't aware of it, but if Tip It still had their old forum archives lol I could pull up many, many threads where people complained that Andrew was being tricky by making an addicting game for people to beta test for free then releasing members.

Yes Rs did start end of year 2000. Thats when i started playing, I can remember all the features back then. Rs had started less then a month when I joined and there was only 1 server and the border was barb village. There was alot of bugs but those were fun times.

Many memories... :cry:

No lvl req's on armor, no rune armor, adamantite battle axe was the strongest weapon, 99 str could be attained by drinking tons of beer, no wilderness, only two or three servers (not "worlds"), daily mine raids by pkers, no cast delay on magic, a party hat was just another mundane item(wasn't able to get one anyway, parents wouldn't let me on the computer on Christmas), rune battle axe/kite = 700 steel bars/nature runes(courtesy of Bluerose), couldn't see combat lvls so everyone was equal(no swarms of newbies around a high lvl [50-60] characters begging for free stuff, no such thing as "L33t speak"([developmentally delayed]ed anyway), laughing at the guy who logged in after the Port Sarim jail was built; only to be stuck in a cell with a dangerous black knight, no bow types; no arrow types; just bows 'n' arrows, adamantite plate mail was 40k(?), freaking out when you got a gem from mining, Barbarian village was the best place to train range, 10Kgp was a lot, etc... now THOSE were the good ol' days.

Contact me in game @ Nafron. I'd love to reminisce.

Also, for some reason I can't get RSC to work. "Unrecognised response code"???

Yes it was beta. Why else would Jagex thank us players for beta testing their game?

Quote:

Due to much demand we are planning on launching a new premium RuneScape service soon. This will bring a whole load of great benefits such as: frequent updates, NO-adverts, good customer support, no scammers/cheaters (we'll kick 'em out), and much more! We're hoping to make it available for just $5 a month, and this tiny amount of money will pay for many great RuneScape updates to come, and will ensure we can keep running RuneScape for YOU.

This is great news, because it will enable us to offer you more frequent RuneScape updates. Some of the first updates we have planned include: A duelling system, more monsters (wolf, giant-bat, lizard-man etc..), lots of new items, sound effects, more quests, and there will be loads more stuff after this.

We hope that many people will be able to afford the very small amount we are asking, if you really really can't afford to pay then don't worry, because there will still be a FREE RuneScape service available. Obviously since this service will be offered for free, we won't be able to keep offering regular updates to non-paying members. In actual fact running the free service will cost us a lot of money but we want to thank all the people who have helped us beta-test the game so far, and so will try keep it going as long as possible.

Andrew Gower

^Wasn't that the beta-test for members? I do recall beta-testing that. they had it running for a few days. It was like having everyone start all over again for a little. Fun for a bit.

Ugh. Let me give you the entire Runescape/Not runescape histopry and release dates. It's amazing at how PROVEN information can still get twisted and turned.

Original started out as a one man project. The developer (Andrew Gower), and his brother (Paul Gower) started work on the original game in 1998. This version was very different to the RuneScape of today. It had Isometric graphics, and was originally titled 'DeviousMUD'. This version was never released to the public, and only a few people ever saw it.

Developer scrapped version 1, and started work on a complete rewrite in 1999. Despite being a complete rewrite, this version was very similar to version 1, with the same graphics and name. This version was released as a public beta for only about 1 week, and then withdrawn again.

Developer started yet again with a 3rd attempt starting on Oct 1999. This time the isometric view was replaced, in favor of 3d graphics and 2d sprites. The game was renamed to RuneScape and released to the public on January 5, 2001.

On February 27, 2002, Jagex launched a new optional 'members service'.

An incomplete beta of this version was available to members on December 1, 2003, and then the finished version was launched on March 17, 2004.

There. Good god. To sum that all up, Runescape started out not even as Runescape but as 'DeviousMUD' and was solely being developed by Andrew and Paul. They never released it (obviously). They did what was supposed to b e a complete rewrite of the game but ended up with the same idea AND same name (DeviousMUD). But then in October they started on what we now know as Runescape Classic and released it TO THE PUBLIC on January 4th/5th of 2001.

See the part I bolded and colored above? TO THE PUBLIC means that only a select few would have tested it before it's 100% release. Meaning anybody claiming they "beta tested" it are pretty much morons.

PS: All information is from http://www.answers.com/topic/runescape .

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

See the part I bolded and colored above? TO THE PUBLIC means that only a select few would have tested it before it's 100% release. Meaning anybody claiming they "beta tested" it are pretty much morons.

You are the moron. Andrew called me a beta tester. So you know better than the creator of Runescape? I think not. FYI many games have public betas.

Date: Thursday, October 4, 2001

Andrew Gower

From the old new archive, the announcement of the forthcoming p2p release. Notice the underlined words where Andrew clearly calls players "people who helped us beta-test." When I was playing we all called it beta. Anyone else who says different has no idea what they are talking about.

• 2 months later...
Guest x t c 4 2 0
for all those ppl who say they been playing since 1999 or 2000 i have the facts to disprove that

Release date(s)

Runescape 2 (Modern) - March 29, 2004

One thing.. Runescape started in 1999, not counting beta which was 98.. Not 2001. Another thing, i seem to remember Rs2 coming out December 1, 2003.. get your facts right man.

for all those ppl who say they been playing since 1999 or 2000 i have the facts to disprove that

Release date(s)

Runescape 2 (Modern) - March 29, 2004

One thing.. Runescape started in 1999, not counting beta which was 98.. Not 2001. Another thing, i seem to remember Rs2 coming out December 1, 2003.. get your facts right man.

hahaha..... no. Get your facts right before trying to prove someone wrong.

rs1 public release - January 4th 2001

rs2 beta release - December 1st 2003

rs2 full release - March 29th 2004

Want proof? http://www.answers.com/topic/runescape

sig2ho7.jpg

well i havent been playing the whole time (i'm retired/quit now), but i started 4.5 years ago

imoldrs.PNG

i've read through about 10 full topics on the rsc boards here tonight, and i've realized that i really do miss rs.

i still remember my first day:

not knowing which dot i was on the map

not knowing how to pick up the iron dagger in the goblin house

not knowing what to do with bones

NO TUTORIAL ISLAND

my peak:

being 84 70 91 84 with 60 prayer, 1 magic at 89.875 combat (behedr rabit)

my low:

after starting my cheating days (NOT ON BEHEDR RABIT OR JTMAN870), trying to get some auto program or another, only to get a keylogger and have 20 mill worth of items/gp/pking supplies/armor/etc stolen from behedr. shortly thereafter, after/during a failing comeback, i sold behedr for 150 USD and over the next few months he was owned by several cheaters and was eventually banned. what a waste...

i remember nearly everthing that has happened since i've been playing including (but not limited to... and in no particular order):

my good buddy mctavish "inventing" prayer beasts with a thread on these very boards

the zar family 2/max333 "wars"

no level requirements for armor

trying to decide if it was worth the money to buy an adam long sword from the shop in varrock

the (very, very delayed) realeases of p2p and rs2

buying my first rune battle from smackattack for an ungodly amount of gp/smithing supplies totalling nearly 800K??

being banned from these forums on many occasions (hopefully that is not repeated in a few minutes for this admittance)

skipping many, many, many things irl that i probably shouldn't have to play rs

not believing people when they tried to say that their rune shield was a rune kite (psh, we ALL knew that nobody had anything better than a rune square)

good stuff.

i wish jagex could somehow reinstate the rs i knew 2.5-3 years ago.

(after typing that line, i looked at the screeny of when i got 80 hp: it was januray 26, 2004. almost exactly 2 years ago. so i guess i wish they'd change it back to about... spring-summer 2004. i believe that was when i was in my prime... and the fall of 2003 was probably when rs was in its prime)

i miss it all.

jt

edit (for clarification): i know that picture says recoveries were set in february 2002. but at the bottom of the pic i wrote that this date was when recovery questions/answers were introduced into rs, and that i had actually started playing in (approximately) september 2001.

edit #2: haha, i almost forgot: the green party hat that i had for years? yep, bought it for (drumroll...) A DIAMOND AMMY. and at the time, i was very reluctant to do this trade. good stuff.

edit #3:

i also remember mining loads of iron, and selling them 12 at a time for saphire necklaces. (the guy was a hardcore crafter, may have been thebighat99... i dont remember though)

i really major goal in my life (at the time, this was like 3.5 years ago) was to get into the miners guild

the standard "outfit" for most average players was: rune long, rune legs, adam plate, adam kite, and rune medium. so goofy, but i remember seeing this EVERYWHERE

i think i should be done now

omg i remember you!!!!

my old file has 27 of Feb recovery questions

login8vw.jpg

i thought you were stealing my image but i guess that was the first day they were introduced.

do you remember shorty427 or my pure the jakal? we used to pk

shorty2av.gif

Shorty427-96 CB merchanter/skiller banned 6/27/04

The Jakal-109 CB 99 Range/Magic/Fletching, 80 runecrafting.

Kirby1288-101 CB skiller 99 fletching.

• 2 weeks later...

My first/old account had its recoveries set (unchanged) since the first day they released them, but I forgot the password, and because it was banned they never gave it back.

I remember when it first came out you could get the 'package' deals of 1 month, (was there 3 months?), 6 months, and 12 months which 6 was 1 month free, and 12 was 2 months free.

I was on the 6 month package for SO LONG, until one day Jagex cancelled it, and after harrassing them sent me like an essay apology on the matter.

In other news:

When the wilderness was released, the whole intention of the level system was to define how many levels up and down could you attack someone, there was no level 105s killing level 5s. (Hell when the wilderness came out, Alchemon and Sandytrain were both 101 combat...) You could be right about the max wilderness level of 27, I think I may recall something like that.

and Tigra, If you are the original owner, when I was friends with you on my old account you stated that you came after level restrictions were added.

Now I was going to say something else that caught my attention, but forgot what.. Maybe I'll add that later.

Children frollick about. This topic started 6 months ago lol. Funny huh?

I am the original owner, and no I didn't say that.

I remember specifically the day the restrictions came out because people were pissed off and having to level up their defense.

Does it even matter? I'm level 123 for god's sake, obviously I've been here a while.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I've been playing since year1, i'm now in year7 = 7years(1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

i remember members coming out.... and saying "pfft i never become a member"

7.75 years later.

"OMG! yay i'm a member"

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'
[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

I've been playing since year1, i'm now in year8 = 8years

i remember members coming out.... and saying "pfft i never become a member"

7.75 years later.

"OMG! yay i'm a member"

8 years? ehhh no....

Check my above post.

sig2ho7.jpg

i have been playing for 5 years as well i now am currently using a account that is like maybe 3 years old falco743 but my older account which now would be 5 years old was named ghettoplaya1 i think was the name.

now dont flame me for the 2 questions im going to ask when u started could you choose wheather u wanted to be warrior, andventure, magician or, ranger,

then they would start you with supplies to best fit that status.

also my second question is that i was on a site that claimed they had exlusive thing like first player to start playing and stuff.

when u started could you choose wheather u wanted to be warrior, andventure, magician or, ranger,

then they would start you with supplies to best fit that status.

Yes that was in the game for a while.

also my second question is that i was on a site that claimed they had exlusive thing like first player to start playing and stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Care to exand a bit more?

Butt.. this list is of the first 2000 Runescape players that were still playing in November 2001. http://www.rsinn.com/users/gugge/signup.html

"Note that players that hadn't logged in November 2001 will not be listed. The numbers are therefore only their rank at this time, not necessarily their true 'starting number'."

sig2ho7.jpg