Purchasing a New Desktop PC

Serpent Eye

Heya! :wink:

I am looking to buy a new desktop PC within the next week or so, and I would just like some advice from you guys!

I've heard from several people that I should "build my own" computer as the ones available in-stores are sometimes dodgy... but this seems a bit confusing to me. What do people mean by "building" your own? Do I literally have to buy the CD-ROM drive, memory, etc., and install all these little parts by myself? Or does that just mean that I should buy the monitor and tower separately, as opposed to buying a monitor/tower combination?

I don't need anything terribly fancy or expensive. I have very basic computer needs - I browse these forums, check my email, pay bills online, and as far as gaming goes, RuneScape is the only game I play. I might watch a few DVDs or burn some CDs, but not very frequently. The only other application I really plan on using is Paint Shop Pro XI.

Ideally, I would like to just go to the computer store... find a computer that suits my needs... and purchase it. The computer I am currently using has seen better days, and I can't go much longer using it without throwing it at my bedroom wall.

From what I'm describing, I can't imagine it would be too costly, but I do have a budget of about $1,000 to spend on everything combined.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Serp

Edit: Also, I should mention that I'm using Clearwire internet, and while I do have a wireless modem, I would like to be able to connect it directly to my PC as I won't be moving it around the house. I don't know if this makes a difference or not as far as what kind of computer I should buy, or if I would have to buy an additional part/software.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

What is meant by "building your own" is go to a computer store, where they can build you one to your specs, like you want a computer with 3TB of HDD, 8GB of mem, cd/dvd/bluray player 3.5" floppy drive yes this is going old school comp. a processor of 10GHz, with windows 7, 12 USB ports, 27" monitor, firewire, hdmi, wireless network card, just to name a few items, they can build it for you with these items. Sorry if I made this reply a little longer then it should have been. Now if you know how to do it, or know some body that does, you could just buy all the parts and build it yourself, or with your friends help, and that will save some money. Hope this was some help.

Edit: just make sure you have a Network Interface Card in it and you can hook it up, which means that it needs to be able to have an RJ-45 cable hooked into it. This cable end is slightly bigger then that of RJ-11, which a RJ-11 is the line that is hooked into a house phone.

hounddog1983m.png

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

So, I've found a local computer store that I will visit on my next day off, just to check things out.

Really though, what is THAT bad about just going to a store like Best Buy and purchasing a computer...? Like I said, I just have generic needs, and don't really need anything fancy at all.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Really though, what is THAT bad about just going to a store like Best Buy and purchasing a computer...? Like I said, I just have generic needs, and don't really need anything fancy at all.

For someone with generic needs, it's not really a problem. At the worst, you might just be overpaying (you could build your own computer with similar specs for a lower cost). For serious gamers, it's a huge problem because there aren't many actually good gamer computer builds. Most pre-built computers (even if they're labeled as "gamer" computers) come with not-so-brilliant graphics cards, and that's really the most important piece for a serious gamer. And by "serious gamer" I'm talking about people who play really graphics-intense games. If you're just playing RuneScape, you'll be fine ;)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Even with generic needs, you will be overpaying if you're taking a prebuilt.

The main reason for you to build it yourself rather than buy a prebuilt is money. Go to your local computer store, or check out www.newegg.com , and find a computer you like. Then, see if you can find the parts that make up the computer individually (again, newegg),. See the price difference, then decide for yourself whether or not it is worth it to build your own.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Even with generic needs, you will be overpaying if you're taking a prebuilt.

Depends on how much you consider your time worth. For a cheap computer (<$400) you will only save a little buying the parts yourself. Take into account the time to build it and install the OS and it just isn't worth it. When a family member tells me to buy them a new computer I always buy a prebuilt. Most people just don't need much else than that cheap computer.

For myself I would never, ever buy a cheap computer, but that's because by the time I want to upgrade my current computer is still better than the cheap ones.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Also keep in mind that buying prebuilt means that you have a pretty good warranty for the computer as a whole should something go wrong, whereas with a prebuilt you'll have little to no warranty.

I suggest a prebuilt. There's no reason for you to build your own.

Bought a desktop from here back in 2007 and picked my own parts.

Cost under $750 and works great. Desktop comes in a large box about 1-2 weeks after you order it (can take 3 weeks too).

I wouldn't buy from here personally. Heard a lot of bad things.

Honestly OP I wouldn't get anywhere near thinking of building a PC if you don't even know what goes into it. More trouble than its worth. Just go to best buy or something and pick out a decent computer. You said it yourself that you don't need anything fancy and runescape will run on any pos.

Definitely look into ASUS (I'm speaking from a laptop POV). Don't bother with any of that Gateway/eMachines/Compaq [cabbage]. They'll last you a good year before being bloated with crap.

My gateway FX laptop has lasted me 2 1/2 - 3 years or so so far. If you're any decent with computers at all you'll know how to get rid of the 'bloated crap'.

Cyberpower gets negative reviews for the number of computers shipped broken, but they have good warranty. If you are looking for a prebuilt, avoid best buy like the plague. First off, they will probably try to sell you the 'ready to go' version for $200 - 250 more. It will probably come with Norton AV, some clean install disks, and they will set up your profile for you in store. They may even tell you the only model they have is a 'ready to go' version (which is illegal apparently). They will also try to sell you 'Monster Cables' which do ABSOLUTELY nothing, other than take up space on your desk.

I am currently building a comp with about 750$. I already have a monitor so im spending a lot on parts. This comp is going to be 20x better than any comp at best buy for the same price. I highly suggest you look into building your own because its so much more bang for your buck. Heck i can even recommend you all the parts for you within your budget. With a 1000$ you can make a hell of a good comp. Probally more than you need.

v2vh5l.png

I am currently building a comp with about 750$. I already have a monitor so im spending a lot on parts. This comp is going to be 20x better than any comp at best buy for the same price. I highly suggest you look into building your own because its so much more bang for your buck. Heck i can even recommend you all the parts for you within your budget. With a 1000$ you can make a hell of a good comp. Probally more than you need.

Building your own PC is great but the OP doesn't exactly have a really good knowledge of PC's. Telling him to build a PC, especially when he just needs something SIMPLE, is a waste.

Some people on these forums seem so eager to recommend someone top of the line stuff when they just don't need it.