Tip.It Times - 6th February 2011

Racheya

You're probably right...

But just like one fallen tree will not stop a tank, many fallen trees will probably prompt a change of route...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear to me and you're right too... While Skilling shouldn't be as profitable as Monster Hunting or PK-ing or even Staking... It should be more profitable than it is now, as current prices are pushed down by bots...

Perhaps the prices shouldn't be lower as much as they are, but this isnt a solvable problem. Free trade probably exaggerated it more but restricted trade didnt solve it. This isnt a side affect of free trade as much as a side affect of a game that is too easy to bot.

I wonder if its even possible to have a game like this, without having botting be possible.. specially with bots becoming better. I still believe Jagex was right when they in 07 said the only way to cut them down to size was to take out the real life profit. I still hope, however, that something really did change, like Jagex claimed.. and that for some reason its just delayed... I do like Wildy, I do like free trade, but I hate cheating more..

Restriction indeed did not solve it, but It cut it down to size majorly..

I also agree there is no perfect solution... taking away freedoms was not good.. having bots is not good... I however would have chosen a different route, more along the lines of Ts_Stormage's article.. I realise this all is a mater of values.. what do you value more, a clean, fair game.. or a total freedom.

OBT You troll... We just established that it'd be at least cleanER and fairER...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

you have not shown that, no

i have not seen any evidence that there are more bots or rwters since free trade reopened

The easy answer would be: So.. you have not played since they reopened free trade!

But, on the off chance tat you are not just trolling .. I suggest you look at the old favoured bot locations: Yews, fishing-guild, chaosdruids..for example.. or some of the new ones, like witchesgarden or red chins to witness things yourself. An other thing I would like to suggest is you re-read some of the explanations by Jagex in 07.

I was at Aubury's recently and caught over 100 bots. I have checked there from time to time and never have I seen that much, maybe 30 at max. Grant you, it's a limited point of view, and yeah I haven't done extensive studies...but I do believe that there are a lot more bots than were before the petition was announced.

1. Overall I loved the 2 viewpoints given in this issue of the times, found both of the a very interesting read.

2. Stormrage , Jagex could have taken many other steps to fix the problems that were flawed with the old system (as far as PKing was concerned) but in my opinion free trade is a good idea because it's simply the most fair. You kill the other guy and you get exactly what he's wearing. I do recognize the problem wit this is that a lot of PKing armor and gear becomes a lot cheaper as less of it is vanishing after a kill. That being said I have noticed a giant increase in bots, the most noticeable for me is at Edgeville since I bank there between slayer tasks. I think this will decrease over time as Jagex begins to take more drastic forceful antibotting methods such as such as suing [A well known botting site].

Welcome to the forums, tusamni, good to see our articles prompted you to post :)

But you point out something that was not exactly the field I was arguing in... Yes, PK-ing wasn't nearly as good under the BH/PVP laws as it is now... I, for one, am glad to see statues gone, for example...

But my entire article was about free trade and not the PK system... I did write some articles in the past about the BH drop table, and that should be worth a read for you as well :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Ring_World: I am not going to rehash the same areguments, we go around in circles.. You care about money, and how fast one can get it.. and I care about a game being as clean as posible ( even disregardling the impact cheating has ).

I would like to point one thing out: you are just plain wrong on ess bots. This based upon my own observations, which I obviously did not videotape to prove things to someone disputing the obvious. How ever, the prices of pure ess are proof enough on its own..

Besides this, I think we , as players can hold Jagex to what they told us would happen.. because that is what we all based our votes on. They said cheating would become a bit worst.. but they would be able to handle it. This fact also makes you pointing at the polls useless, since the result is based upon a prediction by jagex that is not coming true.. so not valid any more. The many reactions by players who did vote yes and still complain about bots on the different forums shows this.

Again, I am not saying Jagex should take w/ft away again, I am how ever saying they need to now do what ever it takes to make what they promised happen.. even if it means hiring 100 new people, less updates for a wile..or what ever else..

If that is no option.. well.. then it might be time for them to read Ts Stormrages article and try his solution.

- A lie not discovered becomes the truth.. so call people on them -

I have to say I have been amused by both the old scams popping back up ("drop all ur gold then press alt and f4 and it will double honest!" had me almost falling off my chair before I could type a warning to the poor newbie being given this wonderful advice, I remember that one from about 2004...) and the new more interesting ways of trying to get people to give away hard earned GP. I was saddened to find that a friend of mine had his bank cleared out by a company holding his login details from a past transaction (yes you know what I mean) however, easy come, easy go... Free trade did however mean I could move Gold from my main pixel to my toy one, so that's 94 Mage sorted. Now all I need to do is grind my ranged up *cry*

As for the Wilderness, I was concerned about a quest I started recently until I realised the game mechanics had changed, a special area was cordoned off just for me... I feel honoured. Aside from that I haven't even had a clue scroll since the update so I'm not sure if that's a similar situation (can anyone clarify?) Even if it hasn't changed from ye olden days, we managed then, we'll manage now. Pkers will as Pkers do. My only regret was that I banked all my items and went a wander to the Mage's bank via the Ardy lever. When I was last in a Pker controlled Wilderness you couldn't move up there for max level pixels in ahrims and whips barraging, teleblocking and knocking lumps out of each other with a commendable lack of mercy (and to be fair, anyone else who happened near-by) This was always amusing to watch... Where did they all go?

All in all I feel the Wilderness may have brought back that little... je ne sais quoi?... that Runescape was missing. And yes free trade will bring back scams, dodgy dealings, RWT and bots but you can also loan your mate that 4m he needs til next week, or you can start your little brother/sister/cousin/etc off in the game with a few sets of armour and a couple of GP. The bots and macro's will always be a step ahead of Jagex, they have to be, you cant combat what isn't there yet. But on the other hand, with a bit of care and forethought, we can have just as much fun as we always have done.

Whether you're a pker, a skiller or a "i dunno i just come on to chat" player, have fun with all the content that's available. Don't forget, at the end of the day (or 4am for some of you) its still a game =) Games are fun ... remember?

malekius.png