Is it time to raise the level caps?

buffrichie

I don't see the point of 120 skills when they can't even release decent content for the 90-99 portion of the skills. Raising it to 120 would basically just increase the amount of grind without adding any substance to the skills.

2480+ total

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this is not even close to being needed.

At the time of writing, there are 301 maxed players in all of Runescape.

Yet there are far more with 200ms, iirc. Frankly, the only reason we don't have a few thousand maxed players is because we have a 120 skill atm...

If you are not maxed but you want more high-level content anyway - what reason is there exactly to make it above level 99? We have plenty of skills which need to be revised even at low levels, such as smithing, before Jagex should even begin to worry about adding level 100+ content. Once everything's in good shape at the levels which the majority of players can actually play, then they can take the time to ensure there's room for growth at the top. I would guess this should happen five or more years from now, at the earliest.

Because I'm really down to 1 skill that isn't maxed, dungeoning, and I'd like to do something else for levels.

Additionally, arguments about how experience rates are now 2x faster don't justify an 8x increase in the amount of experience which has practical use. Maxing should be a very difficult, but at least potentially achievable goal. If maxing takes 2.5 billion+ experience, Runescape would become a game that is essentially impossible to "complete". Only one player even has that much experience after 10 years of Runescape running, and much of it is in easy/quick skills rather than distributed among the harder ones as 120 maxing would require.

If anyone has a figure worked out from the 200M all skills thread for how many hours it would take to reach 200M all skills, that would be helpful. In this case, it would take half that amount of time to achieve 120 maxed status. Bear in mind that around 2,000 hours is equivalent to working a full-time job for a year, and I'm pretty sure the 200M all figure was well over 10,000 hours....

Again, it's great to have targets to shoot for... Certainly more interesting than people just ranking on exp.

As best as I can tell, your argument there is "I'm bored, Jagex should increase the level caps to 120."

When most of the current skills we have are revised so they all offer some sort of useful content at lower levels (at least useful at 50+) and you can get 500k+ exp/hour at 99 somewhat easily in each and every skill, then Jagex can raise the bar to 120.

I have nothing against 120 skills in general. However, is is NOT the time to raise it. Someone here said at least 5+ years from now before it happens. I agree with that - Jagex needs probably 5+ years to try to make all of the skills have some sort of useful content, make things less grindy (as in more interaction is needed for it, such as I think the ceremonial swords.)

We just aren't ready for them yet. I could make a fairly big list of what I think RS would need to have. Like 500k+ RC exp/hour at 99 RC.

THe other thing is, it would be a giant slap in the face to many people who have 99s already. I'd hate to not have maxed magic anymore. Hell, I could spend a few paragraphs on how I think it would need to be (gradually) implemented.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Too many people freak out over the thought of a lvl 120 skill. I will say that it is most definitely not the time yet to implement this addition into the game, but I can almost guarentee that it will happen in the future.

When you started playing Runescape and realized, "wow this skill goes to 99, that's going to take forever!", did you really think you were going to be getting 13M xp in each skill by mining and smithing bronze bars? Exponential skill xp required to reach each level is accompanied by an increased training opportunity that offers faster xp. I think a lot of people don't realize that, and end up thinking "omg this is going to take forever in LRC gold mining or doing addy plates or whatever.

I'd even be willing to bet that the time it takes to go from 99-120 in a skill is faster than the time it took to go from 1-99 in a skill back in the day. Skills keep getting easier, so I doubt it's going to be that big of a deal.

My only wish is that once the it's announced, that at least a majority of the content is untradable. I like the way they did that with herblore, they need to continue to do that with other skills.

Trollbomber.png

Too many people freak out over the thought of a lvl 120 skill. I will say that it is most definitely not the time yet to implement this addition into the game, but I can almost guarentee that it will happen in the future.

When you started playing Runescape and realized, "wow this skill goes to 99, that's going to take forever!", did you really think you were going to be getting 13M xp in each skill by mining and smithing bronze bars? Exponential skill xp required to reach each level is accompanied by an increased training opportunity that offers faster xp. I think a lot of people don't realize that, and end up thinking "omg this is going to take forever in LRC gold mining or doing addy plates or whatever.

I'd even be willing to bet that the time it takes to go from 99-120 in a skill is faster than the time it took to go from 1-99 in a skill back in the day. Skills keep getting easier, so I doubt it's going to be that big of a deal.

My only wish is that once the it's announced, that at least a majority of the content is untradable. I like the way they did that with herblore, they need to continue to do that with other skills.

I guarantee that it wont, because Jagex is a business and making 120 the new cap for skills would reduce the amount of traffic that rs receives from its current mamber base and would decrease the influx of new members. Take a look at my post on second page before you make any arguments towards me as thats were my main statement is.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Dungeoneering isn't a skill, it is a big minigame with ranks.

DG is as much of a skill as mobilizing armies is a skill.

Which is extremely ironic considering that dungeoneering requires far more actual skill and thought than any other skill.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I guarantee that it wont, because Jagex is a business and making 120 the new cap for skills would reduce the amount of traffic that rs receives from its current mamber base and would decrease the influx of new members. Take a look at my post on second page before you make any arguments towards me as thats were my main statement is.

-A middle finger to high levels

-A middle finger to mid-lower levels

-A drop in new paying customers

-Would [bleep] the rs economy

-Would raise the prices of raw materials by a huge amount and drop the prices of rares by a huge amount causing some to quit as their hundreds of millions are lost in items

-Would offer no benefits to the majority of players

I don't see a correlation between the popularity of a 99 skill cape and its 120 equivalent. The regular dungeoneering cape is certainly worn often and is well respected. In fact, for players that really like one skill over all the others, a 120 cape gives them an incentive to keep playing, not quit. You could make your first three and last point about the Capes of Distinction in the new developer diary.

Your other points are valid for the game as it is today. Training rates are not fast enough yet to where lesser alternatives to buyable skills are cost effective. Cooking would remain unaffected, but construction and smithing would suffer, and herblore and prayer would be almost unbearable. That's why I think it's more likely for 120s to come out after things like free/profitable skill-based minigames and more high-level skill updates come out to give options in training every skill. Not only would it level out the economy, but it would give more people a chance to get a cape. Eventually RuneScape will die, and raising the level caps will be one of the things Jagex does to try to revive it.

2496 Completionist

You handled your argument on page 2 well, that was until you acted 12 and bashed someone's opinion with the pathetic "You ever been outside?" comment. I don't understand why people like you can't just realize that people play the game differently. Nobody gives a damn if you go to school, workout, play sports, watch TV, or do a plethora of other things than RS. The fact is that you need to get over the fact people play differently than you, period.

As to the point: You said raising to 120 would mean a middle finger to practically everyone. Raising skills to 120 does not take a bit of content away from anybody who has already earned it. Earned 99 magic? Cool. Don't have 120 magic for the all the new spells? Then I suggest either you get 120 magic or don't complain about only having 99.

Increasing skills to 120 only increases total level. Guess what else increases total level? Adding a new skill. I can't recall anyone quitting over a new skill, and it sure doesn't seem like a middle finger to people who already maxed total to me. I like your mention of .01% of players who have actually maxed total. That number is going to change over time. I would say that the % be better represented in the fact that .01% of ragers who threaten to quit over every single update nowadays, actually do.

Jagex has a geneous way of sucking people into an addicting game and managing to keep them playing and coming back from more, after all they're a business, that's their job. If it gets to the point where top players are bored by the content, then there's no reason that Jagex would not implement the additional levels into the game. 99 in a skill today is easy enough if you put enough time into it and play efficiently, and it's hard to argue that efficiency is important to those who are actually making an effort to train a skill past 99.

In summary, what I've said above is all based off of my opinion and that fact that I can't take what Jagex says seriously anymore.

Wild/FT will not not ever return = Wild/FT returned.

Free membership if you help teach noobs = JK roflolmfaomg

There's no plan of increasing skills to 120 = ...Really?

Trollbomber.png

You handled your argument on page 2 well, that was until you acted 12 and bashed someone's opinion with the pathetic "You ever been outside?" comment. I don't understand why people like you can't just realize that people play the game differently. Nobody gives a damn if you go to school, workout, play sports, watch TV, or do a plethora of other things than RS. The fact is that you need to get over the fact people play differently than you, period.

As to the point: You said raising to 120 would mean a middle finger to practically everyone. Raising skills to 120 does not take a bit of content away from anybody who has already earned it. Earned 99 magic? Cool. Don't have 120 magic for the all the new spells? Then I suggest either you get 120 magic or don't complain about only having 99.

Increasing skills to 120 only increases total level. Guess what else increases total level? Adding a new skill. I can't recall anyone quitting over a new skill, and it sure doesn't seem like a middle finger to people who already maxed total to me. I like your mention of .01% of players who have actually maxed total. That number is going to change over time. I would say that the % be better represented in the fact that .01% of ragers who threaten to quit over every single update nowadays, actually do.

Jagex has a geneous way of sucking people into an addicting game and managing to keep them playing and coming back from more, after all they're a business, that's their job. If it gets to the point where top players are bored by the content, then there's no reason that Jagex would not implement the additional levels into the game. 99 in a skill today is easy enough if you put enough time into it and play efficiently, and it's hard to argue that efficiency is important to those who are actually making an effort to train a skill past 99.

In summary, what I've said above is all based off of my opinion and that fact that I can't take what Jagex says seriously anymore.

Wild/FT will not not ever return = Wild/FT returned.

Free membership if you help teach noobs = JK roflolmfaomg

There's no plan of increasing skills to 120 = ...Really?

They should fix what's broken before adding new level: a broken base will only lead to a failing structure. Also, while skills are easier to train than before, NO other skill has an increasing rate of exp returns from higher levels like dung does, unless new training methods were implemented for those 99+ a 120 lvl endgame would be horrifying (I cannot fathom 104mil rcing exp at current rates).

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Well first off I don't see why everytime I see this topic they say 120, if you want a challenge why shouldn't all skills go to 126? they will never do this though because noone wants to waste there lives a on game that probably won't even be around in 5 years.

Your last sentence contradicts yourself dude. It seems some people have already "wasted" 10 years on this game in the first place, and still have time to "waste". The only thing that keeps players playing is the fact that this game takes a ton of time to be considered "beaten", and just when you think you have, BAM, more content.

If Jagex gets to the point where they realize that people are becoming bored and that too many people finishing up all of the skill content, why not require another 90M xp in each skill? Seems obvious it's going to happen.

Um no it doesn't I maxed in 2008, I don't play RuneScape I just like to check out the top ranks once in awhile. But I don't understand why it should only be 120 since the real max is 126 it would make more sense if they were to go along with this insane idea.

Also it's a horrible idea really I mean some people can't afford to play this game all day most of us have better things to do, also there is only about 1.4k people with all 99's that is a very small minority compared to all the people who play. All they should do is make new skill contents there's no need to change the game completely.

372nd to max total level

I support raising the cap. Especially on skills where having more than the 99 limit will give us considerable advantages

like constitution or prayer. I would solace the dreadful popularity of skill mastery finally shrink to it's former glory

where only the few can achieve.

I support raising the cap. Especially on skills where having more than the 99 limit will give us considerable advantages

like constitution or prayer. I would solace the dreadful popularity of skill mastery finally shrink to it's former glory

where only the few can achieve.

There were only 3 people back in the day before skillcapes who maxed all skills, because there was a distinct lack of motivation. Between all the skillcapes and the maxed forums, there's suddenly motivation.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.