Rl RS Implications..

Freakyhair

I've played a lot of RuneScape and have definitely gone through phases of "no lifing." But playing RuneScape has improved my life. Not only has it given me something that I enjoy, but has also paved the way for my future. It has served as a source of inspiration for my artwork and as such, my skills have improved immensely. It has also made me realize that I want to go into the video game industry for my career.

Nearly all the people I know who spend their time just socializing with friends or "hanging out" have no idea what they want to do with their lives. I'm not saying that doing those things are bad, because they can certainly be fun.. but I've used my time to pursue my passions, one of which is gaming. As a result, I know where I want to go and what I want to do in life, and for that I am very thankful.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with the person who said you sound extremely condescending. Tbh you need to get off your high horse, oh wow good for you you're learning guitar and French that doesn't mean you're better than anyone else. So what if people play runescape a lot, who are you to judge? Why do people smoke, do drugs, gamble, or do anything that is supposedly "bad" for them? Because they can. Not everyone lives their life according to what society deems "proper" or "correct", people make their own choices for good or for bad.

The guy who said he played guitar and learned French also said that "he does these for fun, regardless of whether or not they'll provide a purpose in life". He wasn't be condescending at all, it was just a general statement, he didn't say it was good or bad or even mention anything of that nature.

Actually, he was saying you shouldn't judge people on their hobbies just because they don't necessarily provide a purpose in life. Just like how you're judging him for playing piano and learning French.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding what the word condescending means.

–adjective

showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority.

Maybe you only read the OP's first post, but you should actually read through the thread a bit to understand where I'm coming from. His responses imply that his life is so much better than everyone else who is "addicted" to runescape, as if he knows these people in real life. Also contrary to what you said I'm not judging him at all, in fact I couldn't give a rat's [cabbage] what his hobbies are, just as the OP should not give a cabbage about what other people do in their spare time especially if he doesn't know them in person.

Yeah but I'm saying it's not always spare time and even if it is it can be damaging for them without people always realising. I'm not trying to be condescending, I do think playing for 20hours a day is incredibly bad bad who the hell doesn't?

I also did know a lot of people ingame who were addicted to RuneScape and I would've thought a lot of other people do, fairplay if they don't..

But yeah my life is better than my previous life, I said numberous times that that's obviously not the case for everyone. But it also obviously is for some people.

And it's true I swear fansites normalise this behaviour alot..

And yeah that real pissed me off how many people say I'm trying to be condescending, I think it's pretty condescending to constantly write /thread or wanna medal or some standard repeated crap. I had a really bad RuneScape habbit, most people don't. Some people do, if you don't realise this I'm pretty shocked..

also i removed the bit about french and guitar cos it doesnt have anything to do with anything and far too many people were getting pissed off by it. I feel my time is much better spent doing those things, that was just a personal note i added.

Agreed with the person who said you sound extremely condescending. Tbh you need to get off your high horse, oh wow good for you you're learning guitar and French that doesn't mean you're better than anyone else. So what if people play runescape a lot, who are you to judge? Why do people smoke, do drugs, gamble, or do anything that is supposedly "bad" for them? Because they can. Not everyone lives their life according to what society deems "proper" or "correct", people make their own choices for good or for bad.

The guy who said he played guitar and learned French also said that "he does these for fun, regardless of whether or not they'll provide a purpose in life". He wasn't be condescending at all, it was just a general statement, he didn't say it was good or bad or even mention anything of that nature.

Actually, he was saying you shouldn't judge people on their hobbies just because they don't necessarily provide a purpose in life. Just like how you're judging him for playing piano and learning French.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding what the word condescending means.

adjective

showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority.

Maybe you only read the OP's first post, but you should actually read through the thread a bit to understand where I'm coming from. His responses imply that his life is so much better than everyone else who is "addicted" to runescape, as if he knows these people in real life. Also contrary to what you said I'm not judging him at all, in fact I couldn't give a rat's [cabbage] what his hobbies are, just as the OP should not give a cabbage about what other people do in their spare time especially if he doesn't know them in person.

Yeah but I'm saying it's not always spare time and even if it is it can be damaging for them without people always realising. I'm not trying to be condescending, I do think playing for 20hours a day is incredibly bad bad who the hell doesn't?

I also did know a lot of people ingame who were addicted to RuneScape and I would've thought a lot of other people do, fairplay if they don't..

But yeah my life is better than my previous life, I said numberous times that that's obviously not the case for everyone. But it also obviously is for some people.

And it's true I swear fansites normalise this behaviour alot..

And yeah that real pissed me off how many people say I'm trying to be condescending, I think it's pretty condescending to constantly write /thread or wanna medal or some standard repeated crap. I had a really bad RuneScape habbit, most people don't. Some people do, if you don't realise this I'm pretty shocked..

also i removed the bit about french and guitar cos it doesnt have anything to do with anything and far too many people were getting pissed off by it. I feel my time is much better spent doing those things, that was just a personal note i added.

I was under the impression that you were talking about people who played 5-6 hours a day not 20, as mentioned in your original post. A lot of people play 5-6 hours a day and consider that their spare time while still keeping up with rl activities. It's good to see tho that you agree that your case is singular and doesn't apply to anyone else because it doesn't. And as such you aren't in a position, nor am I or anyone else, to tell people how to use their spare time.

At the end of the day, how is playing RS different from playing guitar (well, obviously if not being paid to play...)?

Same as reading books, same as a bucketload of things that doesn't get frown upon.

If you spent your whole life doing only productive things, 2 things would happen:

1) People would admire you.

2) You'd hate your life.

Just [bleep] off and let people do whatever they want of their lives. After all, you could spend a lot of time getting a Ph.D. and ending up working on a theory that doesn't work for the rest of your life. How unproductive is that?

WarBlastoise.png

At the end of the day, how is playing RS different from playing guitar (well, obviously if not being paid to play...)?

Same as reading books, same as a bucketload of things that doesn't get frown upon.

If you spent your whole life doing only productive things, 2 things would happen:

2) You'd hate your life.

Just [bleep] off and let people do whatever they want of their lives. After all, you could spend a lot of time getting a Ph.D. and ending up working on a theory that doesn't work for the rest of your life. How unproductive is that?

[bleep].

cba with this forum anymore, well i quit rs so yeah.. u dunt hav to flame everything all the time yeah :thumbsup:

cba with this forum anymore, well i quit rs so yeah.. u dunt hav to flame everything all the time yeah :thumbsup:

If you're going to quit, then quit. Step 2 is to stop posting on the game's fansite.

>> Think about it - Before RuneScape would you have really thought that a Chaotic item was worth spending 10-20 hours obtaining? Normal console games don't force that upon players. 10 hours is a full game, start to finish.

You can tell GaVaTi is an xBro, among the ADHD-addled console generation that can't fathom the idea of long term goals.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If you're going to quit, then quit. Step 2 is to stop posting on the game's fansite.

>> Think about it - Before RuneScape would you have really thought that a Chaotic item was worth spending 10-20 hours obtaining? Normal console games don't force that upon players. 10 hours is a full game, start to finish.

You can tell GaVaTi is an xBro, among the ADHD-addled console generation that can't fathom the idea of long term goals.

Dude getting 15th Prestige takes ages bro. That be long time! /Sarcasm.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

2) You'd hate your life.

[bleep].

Well, you are getting flamed but that's your own doing.

If you're going to act all mighty and try to correct everybody's life and tell them that they're worthless/harming themselves when it's clearly not the case - people are going to throw stones.

Yes, playing 12 hours of RS a day is probably not the best thing to do, but there's a lot of circumstances you can't see. You can't just classify everybody based on your own experiences - and that seems to be your problem.

On an off-note, nobody wants to read a "I'm holier than thou" argument (or any post rather) which includes countless numbers of spelling mistakes, horrible grammar and nonsense. If you can't even spell or even take the time to make sure what you write is understandable - why would you expect anybody take what you're saying seriously?

capt%20kevin.png

2) You'd hate your life.

[bleep].

If you're going to act all mighty and try to correct everybody's life and tell them that they're worthless/harming themselves when it's clearly not the case - people are going to throw stones.

Yes, playing 12 hours of RS a day is probably not the best thing to do, but there's a lot of circumstances you can't see. You can't just classify everybody based on your own experiences - and that seems to be your problem.

On an off-note, nobody wants to read a "I'm holier than thou" argument (or any post rather) which includes countless numbers of spelling mistakes, horrible grammar and nonsense. If you can't even spell or even take the time to make sure what you write is understandable - why would you expect anybody take what you're saying seriously?

Inb4 someone quotes me telling me I have no right to judge people I don't know.

It isn't the best thing to do. People that spend every waking hour playing this game are a waste of life.

2) You'd hate your life.

[bleep].

Inb4 someone quotes me telling me I have no right to judge people I don't know.

It isn't the best thing to do. People that spend every waking hour playing this game are a waste of life.

You have no rights to judge people you don't know.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I play Runescape and guitar... learned French when it was a requirement but forgot it all now.

Since I don't want to be a professional musician or anything, all those things are just for fun. There are a couple weeks where I'll play more than 20 hours a week (I was sick a couple weeks in the summer and probably played like 8 hours a day for those weeks, lol), some (most) weeks, I'll play less. It's all about having fun... if someone wants to play 60 hours a week and they're enjoying life, who are you to judge them?

They contribute nothing to society, I'll probably get hate for saying this but they're a waste of human life.

You're no better so you know.

What's with the assumptions?

This is obviously just your opinion, but do you have any logic/reason to back it up?

It's common sense, really.

How can playing a game 18 hours a day be contributing to society?

So you think that not contributing to society is wasting YOUR life? You know...

You owe nothing to the society, do whatever the [bleep] makes you happy.

Obviously playing 12+ hours a day is not the best way to spend your life. Not because you are not contributing anything to the society, but because of your own health. Not only physical, but mental, also.

As already said: Live and let live.

Margus.png

I play Runescape and guitar... learned French when it was a requirement but forgot it all now.

Since I don't want to be a professional musician or anything, all those things are just for fun. There are a couple weeks where I'll play more than 20 hours a week (I was sick a couple weeks in the summer and probably played like 8 hours a day for those weeks, lol), some (most) weeks, I'll play less. It's all about having fun... if someone wants to play 60 hours a week and they're enjoying life, who are you to judge them?

They contribute nothing to society, I'll probably get hate for saying this but they're a waste of human life.

You're no better so you know.

What's with the assumptions?

This is obviously just your opinion, but do you have any logic/reason to back it up?

It's common sense, really.

How can playing a game 18 hours a day be contributing to society?

So you think that not contributing to society is wasting YOUR life? You know...

You owe nothing to the society, do whatever the [bleep] makes you happy.

Obviously playing 12+ hours a day is not the best way to spend your life. Not because you are not contributing anything to the society, but because of your own health. Not only physical, but mental, also.

As already said: Live and let live.

If everyone had that kind of mentality we'd still be in the stone age. People don't seem to realize that you only live once, and should make the most of the short time you have.

There are many variables that seem to be missing in this argument. For example, if someone did play rs for 18 hours a day, wouldn't you think

a) he's probably a kid

b) he could pick up a lot of technological information, methods, etc. Maybe later on actually go into this kind of field.

c) he's crippled in some way and can't really do much else.

The only way not to be able to contribute back to society is that if you're not paying taxes, or don't have a legal source of income.

The fact that you're using 18 hours a day as an example is... rather quite a bad example. How long would you think a human being could continue doing something as this for 18 hours a day? Maybe a few days at most. You can't judge someone unless you know all the variables affecting his/her life.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

There are many variables that seem to be missing in this argument. For example, if someone did play rs for 18 hours a day, wouldn't you think

a) he's probably a kid

b) he could pick up a lot of technological information, methods, etc. Maybe later on actually go into this kind of field.

The only way not to be able to contribute back to society is that if you're not paying taxes, or don't have a legal source of income.

The fact that you're using 18 hours a day as an example is... rather quite a bad example. How long would you think a human being could continue doing something as this for 18 hours a day? Maybe a few days at most. You can't judge someone unless you know all the variables affecting his/her life.

You won't learn nothing from runescape that you can't learn in the real world in 10% of the time.

Kids generally don't play 18 hours a day (unless you're talking about young adults).

And paralyzed people do amazing things. A tifer had a great quote in his sig about this.

Edit: Found it

"Hilary Lister, A quadriplegic British woman who can move nothing but her head plans to sail solo around the UK. Now, people defend others who play too much RS because they are apparently too ill to do anything else. All I say is that it is a lack of creativity, a bad excuse and I have very little sympathy. (This will offend some but it is my true thoughts)"

"Hilary Lister, A quadriplegic British woman who can move nothing but her head plans to sail solo around the UK. Now, people defend others who play too much RS because they are apparently too ill to do anything else. All I say is that it is a lack of creativity, a bad excuse and I have very little sympathy. (This will offend some but it is my true thoughts)"

That statement isn't very logical/reasonable. You can't use an outlier to generalize the rest of the population.

77yLQy8.png

That statement isn't very logical/reasonable. You can't use an outlier to generalize the rest of the population.

Nuff.

Some people can't do the things these people can with full use of their bodies.

Nuff.

Those people can move more than just their head. Why do you keep missing the point :\

77yLQy8.png

a) he's probably a kid

You won't learn nothing from runescape that you can't learn in the real world in 10% of the time.

Kids generally don't play 18 hours a day (unless you're talking about young adults).

And paralyzed people do amazing things. A tifer had a great quote in his sig about this.

Edit: Found it

Wow, Ms Lister must have been very successful to afford a sailboat in which to sail around the UK. However, most quadriplegics can't afford a sailboat. I guess they're just "a waste of life" too...

Nuff.

Those people can move more than just their head. Why do you keep missing the point :\

What point? Using a disability as an excuse to play runescape is pretty stupid.

As I said, someone who can only move their head is going to sail around the UK. If that doesn't motivate handicapped people I don't know what will.

How does sailing alone around the UK benefit society? How does spending time on RuneScape contribute nothing to society?

Handicapped people don't need as much sympathy as everyone seems to think they do. It's been shown that a year after becoming maimed, they are at the same level of happiness before losing their abilities. A lot of them are even happier than before. Chances are those guys in that video are a lot happier than you are.

77yLQy8.png

How does sailing alone around the UK benefit society?

Now that's missing the point.

We're talking about people using their disability as an excuse to play runescape. A quadriplegic can't really do anything to benefit society.

I'll probably have someone quoting me saying "den thay r awaste of lief@@"

We're talking about people using their disability as an excuse to play runescape. A quadriplegic can't really do anything to benefit society.

You should probably give us some clear guidelines/requirements for "benefiting society" then. Because right now, the woman that can only move her head is a waste of life by your standards.

And how does playing RuneScape contribute nothing to society?

77yLQy8.png

Well they are, by your definition lol. And how does playing RuneScape contribute nothing to society?

No, they aren't. You realize healthy people with potential to actually do well in life are wasting their only life playing a game? These are people that don't have a choice, they can't do what a normal human being can. Would you ask a man with no arms to build you a house?

Anyway, how does playing runescape contribute to society? It's a game lol.

Well they are, by your definition lol. And how does playing RuneScape contribute nothing to society?

No, they aren't. You realize healthy people with potential to actually do well in life are wasting their only life playing a game? These are people that don't have a choice, they can't do what a normal human being can. Would you ask a man with no arms to build you a house?

Anyway, how does playing runescape contribute to society? It's a game lol.

It generates revenue for Jagex and creates social interactions/friendships.

77yLQy8.png