Rl RS Implications..

Freakyhair

First of all, I've quit as of 2 days ago, was thinking of it for a while and then i got lured, figured it was a good time. Secondly, flame me man I don't care. Thirdly this might not belong here but I dunno where else to put it.

Alright so basically I'm gunna tell you my RS and RL story (where it matters). I started when I was like 11/12, loads of peeps at my school played and it was jokes, messing about with loads of school friends on some funny game. Slowly everyone quit, and it was just me, by then i was pretty into it. I remember one summer i spent 4hours or so a day on RS.

Around that time I started losing friends, dunno why, but I did. The less friends I had the more RS I played. Anyway it got stupid for me, I was 13 and skipping school to play RS all day. At some point I got MSN to talk with RS friends, then I met girls and quit RS ([bleep] that man I got girls lol).

Anyway so I had some friends and a social life and girls, I stopped RS. At some point stuff went wrong and I started playing RS again, just a bit. But I put off going out for RS.

Basicaly been going through cycles of not playing for 6months and then playing too much for a month (like 25hours a week)

Now I know that's a right unhealthy way to play, but I can't help but notice that my life gets significantly worse when I'm playing RS. I'm more likely to put things off, less likely do be up for going down pub or something.

I know that there are a lot of people that play RS at least 6 hours a day aswell, and I'm just saying isn't it massively detrimental on all our live when we play like that? People always have the same argument aswell, 'oh we'd just be watching tv or something if we didn't' or 'so what we find it fun'. Fairplay I'm not saying that that's always wrong, I know plenty of people on here do play like that and enjoy it when they do. Hell I enjoy it when I play for a bit. But it's the mentality of the minority of players who already have addictive personalities that's sad.

I also know from watching my brother that it's just not right that everyone has more fun out of it than other things. I don't see smiling and happy when he's playing RS a lot like he is when he plays football with his mates. I see him being subdued and monged.

I swear there is a certain ammount of denial especially among players who clock 5-6hours regularly a day.

The way I see it a lot of people use RS as an easy way to get little kicks and achievments that are easily documented, but due to the time it takes up it's just silly really.

I dunno I wanna hear what you guys think.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the limit: you don't know how many people would get pissed. I used to play that much, but now i don't as much because seventh grade is kicking my ass and kicking it hard.

Bionic_Yoshi.png

TT rewards: 2 ranger boots, Zamorak page 1 (2x), Guthix page 1, Ancient page 2

You must construct additional oak larders doors... I mean pylons

Barrows: 10. Total value~22.3 mil. Ahrim Robeskirt is currently the item I have received the most.

I've got a rough draft of a topic I was gonna make several weeks ago...

Basically the more seriously you take RS, the more likely you are to be agitated/devastated when things don't go your way. If you only play RS like 1 hour per day max, then you probably won't care too much if something bad happens to you on the game, or you just become apathetic.

More food for thought: Why do you consider learning guitar a more worthy achievement than RS levels? They're both equally "pointless" within the grand scheme of things.

77yLQy8.png

Oh hey, look it's another generic "I didn't know how to manage my time/addiction so I quit, you should too" thread! :thumbdown:

Seriously though, I read your comments in the 200m skills thread and all you did was tell people that what they did with their lives was wrong. If they want to spend 20+ hours a day playing Rs who are you to tell them otherwise?

Anyway, well done for making this condescending thread about how you now think you are a marvellous person for stopping Rs, want a medal?

TL;DR - Learn how to manage your time and realise you can play Rs and still maintain a healthy social life.

/Thread, please lock.

Sylpheed.png

Oh hey, look it's another generic "I didn't know how to manage my time/addiction so I quit, you should too" thread! :thumbdown:

Seriously though, I read your comments in the 200m skills thread and all you did was tell people that what they did with their lives was wrong. If they want to spend 20+ hours a day playing Rs who are you to tell them otherwise?

Anyway, well done for making this condescending thread about how you now think you are a marvellous person for stopping Rs, want a medal?

TL;DR - Learn how to manage your time and realise you can play Rs and still maintain a healthy social life.

/Thread, please lock.

Did you actually read the thread and understand it? lol

/Thread, please lock.

Did you actually read the thread and understand it? lol

Sure did, what's not to understand?

Sylpheed.png

Three things:

1) This topic again?

2) It's called moderation and self-control. You should try it sometime.

3) I don't see why you can't play Runescape while playing guitar/learning French. I happen to do all three of those things, and I don't seem to have a problem (other than not having a proper French accent and being somewhat sloppy with my sweep-picking. <_< ).

If Runescape is ruining your life, you're gonna have much bigger problems when you get older.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I'm probably well under 20 hours a week, but I feel a limit would be stupid.

I had foot surgery during last summer. What the heck would I do except being on the computer and/or reading?

Nothing.

And, back then, I was at way more than 20 hours a week.

Live and let live.

WarBlastoise.png

I remember one summer i spent 4hours or so a day on RS.

Around that time I started losing friends, dunno why, but I did.

110321155028.png

Wow, you really don't know why?

Lol.

Anyway, I don't mind people playing a few hours a day, but it's the people that spend almost every hour of every day playing this game. They're complete burdens of society.

Three things:

1) This topic again?

2) It's called moderation and self-control. You should try it sometime.

3) I don't see why you can't play Runescape while playing guitar/learning French. I happen to do all three of those things, and I don't seem to have a problem (other than not having a proper French accent and being somewhat sloppy with my sweep-picking. <_< ).

If Runescape is ruining your life, you're gonna have much bigger problems when you get older.

I play Runescape and guitar... learned French when it was a requirement but forgot it all now.

Since I don't want to be a professional musician or anything, all those things are just for fun. There are a couple weeks where I'll play more than 20 hours a week (I was sick a couple weeks in the summer and probably played like 8 hours a day for those weeks, lol), some (most) weeks, I'll play less. It's all about having fun... if someone wants to play 60 hours a week and they're enjoying life, who are you to judge them?

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

/Thread, please lock.

oh look its one of those ppl that says oh look.

im just saying, i cant be the only one with this experience. i seriously think a lot of people ahve this problem but arn't facing it. i dont think im amazing, im 19 and i play rs man. well not anymore but whatever.

also, thats a pretty big discussion but i think people have every right to try and help people when it's clearly detremental to their real life/society as a whole. you don't have to know someone to know that playing 20hours a day is clearly ruining their actual lives. did you read any posts by the 200mers? im not trying to act all high and mighty i genuinely wanna show some people that there's a better way to feel good than to obsessively play rs.

its hard to find another example of something similar to rs.. but say a woman on my road was spending 20 hours a day sunbathing, id like to think i could say to her or those who cared for her that she was clearly damaging herself doing so.

dont know what tl;dr means..

whatever i know people can mantain a healthy social life. but i know a lot of people can't, seriously man why are so many people in denial or somethign about this?? its obvious when i chat to some people on rs that they are playing way too much.

gallery_1_3_57968.jpg

If people want to spend so much time on a game, then let them. If it's what makes them happy then who cares? It's all about perspective. I could view somebody's guitar playing as being just as worthless as Runescape. Both are about setting goals and trying to accomplish them, and practicing to get better at something.

If I remember right (longtime lurker here), Muggi made a similar comparison between Runescape and working out/lifting weights awhile back (or I could be making things up). I think if you worked on managing your time better, you could find the time to play Runescape AND have a social life, as far-out as that sounds.

Etecoon.png

I play Runescape and guitar... learned French when it was a requirement but forgot it all now.

Since I don't want to be a professional musician or anything, all those things are just for fun. There are a couple weeks where I'll play more than 20 hours a week (I was sick a couple weeks in the summer and probably played like 8 hours a day for those weeks, lol), some (most) weeks, I'll play less. It's all about having fun... if someone wants to play 60 hours a week and they're enjoying life, who are you to judge them?

They contribute nothing to society, I'll probably get hate for saying this but they're a waste of human life.

They contribute nothing to society, I'll probably get hate for saying this but they're a waste of human life.

You're no better so you know.

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Three things:

120% agree, I often find myself playing 3 hours/day now, but I can't really tell a difference in amount of friends and time spent with them compared to my non-rs periods....

mainly because I don't let rs take control of the other activity, I only play rs when I don't have anything else to do...

Rudyaard.png

rudyaard.png

If I remember right (longtime lurker here), Muggi made a similar comparison between Runescape and working out/lifting weights awhile back (or I could be making things up). I think if you worked on managing your time better, you could find the time to play Runescape AND have a social life, as far-out as that sounds.

:thumbup:

This is obviously just your opinion, but do you have any logic/reason to back it up?

77yLQy8.png

What's with the assumptions?

This is obviously just your opinion, but do you have any logic/reason to back it up?

It's common sense, really.

How can playing a game 18 hours a day be contributing to society?

I remember one summer i spent 4hours or so a day on RS.

Around that time I started losing friends, dunno why, but I did.

110321155028.png

Wow, you really don't know why?

well yeah i do no that but if i said from playing too much rs im sure peopled say thats bull. if you think its obv playing 4 hours a day harms your social life then how can people say manage your time when they're obviously playing 4 hours a day. i dunno i think that a lot of people are in denial or summit, fairplay i guess a lot of people dont play that much. but a lot of people do. a looot

What's with the assumptions?

I wasn't assuming you're one of your own stereotypes that everyone who enjoys rs is a fat no lifing hot pocket eating nerd who doesn't contribute to society.

I'm saying you stating that about people you don't know a flying [bleep] about makes you no better.

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

:thumbup:

yeah theyre not working, its not an opinion. maybe not 60 hours a week. but the people who are playing 12+ a day cant realistically have a full time job unless theyre insomniacs.

theyre NEETs, hence contributing nothing to society.

I wasn't assuming you're one of your own stereotypes that everyone who enjoys rs is a fat no lifing hot pocket eating nerd who doesn't contribute to society.

I'm saying you stating that about people you don't know a flying [bleep] about makes you no better.

What's there to know about someone who plays runescape all day?

/Thread, please lock.

oh look its one of those ppl that says oh look.

im just saying, i cant be the only one with this experience. i seriously think a lot of people ahve this problem but arn't facing it. i dont think im amazing, im 19 and i play rs man. well not anymore but whatever.

also, thats a pretty big discussion but i think people have every right to try and help people when it's clearly detremental to their real life/society as a whole. you don't have to know someone to know that playing 20hours a day is clearly ruining their actual lives. did you read any posts by the 200mers? im not trying to act all high and mighty i genuinely wanna show some people that there's a better way to feel good than to obsessively play rs.

I don't agree with the amount of time people spend playing Rs for all 200m either, in fact, i think it's an absurd amount of time to spend playing a video game, but if they genuinely enjoy that time whilst doing it then nobody has any right to tell them to stop doing it (unless of course, your parents still control you).

its hard to find another example of something similar to rs.. but say a woman on my road was spending 20 hours a day sunbathing, id like to think i could say to her or those who cared for her that she was clearly damaging herself doing so.

I would assume the woman would know the dangers of sun bathing for that long, so again, its really none of your business to tell her to stop.

whatever i know people can mantain a healthy social life. but i know a lot of people can't, seriously man why are so many people in denial or something about this?? its obvious when i chat to some people on rs that they are playing way too much.

I really hope that isn't aimed at me. If someone disagrees with your viewpoint, that doesn't automatically make the bolded part the reason.

Sylpheed.png

It's a game. I play for fun. If I'm not having fun, I stop playing. Simple. I can manage my online time, and I don't waste too much by this principle.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod