Extensive suggestion/guide: How to detect and stop auto-ers

Ts_Stormrage

Tired of a bunch of auto-ers ruining the runescape econimy... ruining the highscores... ruining your mining spots... ruining your sales pitches on the trade worlds...

Basicly turning runescape into ruinscape?

then keep on reading

I will be handling this from 3 angles:

- What YOU can do on RuneScape itself

- What you can do OUTSIDE of runescape

- What JaGeX can do

First:

What YOU can do on Runescape itself:

One thing is quite easy to do... its very easy to detect auto typers, especially on world 1 and 2...

NOONE can type Flash2:wave2:selling full rune, no kite, 200k -Uba Merchant1337- every 2 seconds and type it flawless too... thats next to IMPOSSIBLE...

Report these, because auto typers are to auto miners as weed is to harddrugs...

Auto-typers are by FAR the LARGEST group of autoers out there, and BY FAR the easiest to detect

The other thing to do is to annoy people while they try to lvl their fishing, cooking, or smithing...

Close doors just as they approach, and keep re-opening them and closing them (hey, you're just testing the hinges, right?)... or worse, throw them a Gnomeball (f2p) and watch how theyr not-up-2-date scripts cant handle it...

Report them if they suddenly make no effort to get through that door, or run around like headless chickens...

The Gnomeball is especially effective when people are AFK training (whichever way you turn it, it's also a form of auto-ing)... cuz its VERY hard to hit enemies with a Gnomeball instead of a Whip :) If they die in the process, its more benefit for you too :)

What you can do OUTSIDE of the game:

Not a whole lot really, other then submit to jagex any people any evidence the people present themselves...

Most commonly you find (even on these very forums) saying something similar to this:

"Omg i died while i was browsing forums... Stupid randoms!"-topics or posts

Thats also AFK training... its really not that hard to read the forums when not playing... noone can play for 10 hours straight anyways... people have to take breaks... read forums during those breaks?

Another thing is to gather a few friends from your clan, and just log in with the sole purpose to find auto-ers... its fun, and its usefull :)

What JaGeX can do about auto-ers

Well, as some people suggested, they could release their own auto-ers, and when downloaded, the ip that downloads it could be banned from ever contacting the jagex site again... It could be seen as entrapment, but lets face it... you shouldnt be looking for auto-ers in the first place :)

(you could create such a fake auto-er yourself if you had the skills :) )

What jagex could also do, is hire some more Mods, and patrol the often-auto'ed places (ardy, seers, cath, fally, varrock, etc)...

Thats it for now for my anti-autoing guide... i'll be posting an anti hack guide as well as an anti scam guide soon...

Tip.it mods: Feel free to sticky it if found fitting

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

that's a good guide.. though most auters are in f2p... the gnomball idea could earn you quite a bit... but the thing about reporting is it doesn';t realy do anything.. Jagex doesn't realy care.. mabey if it's from a long playing (or should i say paying) p2p i doubt they even read the **** u send to them... But great guide otherwise..

actually

when you throw the ball at someone, the ball appears in the weapon hand...

will test it out :)

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I hate to tell you this, but reading the forums while playing is NOT autoing. It makes me very angry that you would label honest players as cheaters for splitting their attention.

Excuse you? I said its AFK-ing... which is a FORM of autoing... Stop twisting my words, you filthy AFK-er :P

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

If "AFK Training" was concidered as a form of autoing, Dont you think jagex would do something about it, I mean...Whats the axe hut for besides training? Right now im "afk training" and browsing these forums, Because staring at my screen is really boring. Rant about how Cook X and the others are more closer to "autoing" than afk training is.

Quit runescape...

how about you just get reported, and let jagex sort it out?

EDIT:

Rule 7.

Macroing: You must not attempt to use other programs (e.g. bots, macros or autominers) in conjunction with our games to give

yourself an unfair advantage at the game. You also may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to log out inactive users automatically.

I believe this last line INCLUDES any AFK training... what was your RSN again? ;)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

EDIT:

Rule 7.

Macroing: You must not attempt to use other programs (e.g. bots, macros or autominers) in conjunction with our games to give

yourself an unfair advantage at the game. You also may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to log out inactive users automatically.

I believe this last line INCLUDES any AFK training... what was your RSN again? ;)

How about you get your facts straight? Maybe

you're training on Runescape right now while typing your post! Then you must be afking!! omfg lyke report0red!! :roll:

sidewalksigpng9qg.png

Hazardmaster.png

actually, i havent been on in a day or so...

But can you PLEASE get back on topic and talk about how to stop auto-ers?

We've established that afk-training is auto-ing, deal with it, ok? go out there and do some usefull stuff...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I like this guide. A lot. Although I can see there is probably going to be a lot more coming out of it. I really hope Jagex make some kind of In-game TechMod which has some sort of window from which they can browse and detect all the past activities of a certain user.

Back on topic, someone should make a list of where there is a lot of Autoers.

You should stick to this "Anit-Autoing" guide for a while because it isn't finished :P

EDIT:

Rule 7.

LOL ok you said back on topic but...If im correct AFK = Away From Keyboard, But when your browsing forum you still gotta take a 5 second peek on the runescape window to see whats going on, But when your browsing forums your technacly not "AFK", So...Is multi-tasking againts the rules?

Quit runescape...

This hunting for autoers is stupid.

People will go around accusing people of being autoers becuase they are fishing and havepublic chat off. When i train i prefer to have chat off. And I don't want people to think im auto-ing becuase of it. Autoers will always be there. Whitch hunts will only worsen the problem and lead to innocents banned. It's Jagex's problem and they should only ban if they can detect beyond resonable doubt that the person is autoing.

Players can be mistaken and people can be banned unfairly with your 'whitch hunts'.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

umm i play RS atm while writing actually i cut yews but AFK mean Away From Keyboard(example looking at TV)... im not AFK im just looking at forums at the same time the same what you would write on MSN for example and i think everyone does something like this! so almost all should atleast get an warning if its not right... who agrees :?:

No one has 'established' that reading the forums while playing is against the rules. You've just got that set in your mind.

What is against the rules is setting something on the keyboard so you can leave the room/house/country and still be playing.

I've cooked 26k lobsters this past few weeks, and I've read the forums the whole time. I start the load on the fire, then read until it gets about half done. Then I switch the window focus to the RS window, and then back to the forums until the load of lobsters is done.

You cannot honestly tell me that you consider that activity cheating.

that i agree with...

but what i was pointing out (and you know damn what i meant) that the axe hut is a nice example... just as the al kharid palace guards once was a way to be able to fight for hours on end

cooking a load of lobbies hardly qualifies as autoing... I think i said that only the auto typers are easy to recognize didnt i? oh yes, im sure i did ;)

the rest requires a bit of observation, and i think i pointed that out too in my initial post...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

bumperdibump

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I think this issue is a little pointless...

Jagex can't do anything to stop macros, simply because anything they do will be ineffective as soon as the macro program writers re-write their programs...

All these ideas about fake-macros that Jagex would send out to catch wouldbe cheaters is ridiculous because of the tight community of cheaters. The people that use effective and legit macro scripts aren't googling: "RS auto programs" or what have you... There are established sites and forums that are run by the cheaters for the cheaters. Jagex couldn't get on these sites to spread their fake program.

Jagex won't trust the job of finding macro users to Mods because there would be too many mistakes and false bans. And Jagex won't spend all its time on trying to find every single macro user to ban them.

As for throwing gnomeballs or opening/closing doors to try and hinder the macro bots, how can you prove that they're just lagging and don't have a fast reaction time to deal with you messing with the doors? Or, the macro user will just say in the forum that the writers need to add a new line to the program that opens closed doors...

Whats wrong with an autotyper??

its illegal lol jagex have banned it.

mods see ppl using them and tell them to stop and if they dont stop altogether they get muted. They they get banned

Have fun using ur autotyper

I think this issue is a little pointless...

Jagex can't do anything to stop macros, simply because anything they do will be ineffective as soon as the macro program writers re-write their programs...

All these ideas about fake-macros that Jagex would send out to catch wouldbe cheaters is ridiculous because of the tight community of cheaters. The people that use effective and legit macro scripts aren't googling: "RS auto programs" or what have you... There are established sites and forums that are run by the cheaters for the cheaters. Jagex couldn't get on these sites to spread their fake program.

Jagex won't trust the job of finding macro users to Mods because there would be too many mistakes and false bans. And Jagex won't spend all its time on trying to find every single macro user to ban them.

As for throwing gnomeballs or opening/closing doors to try and hinder the macro bots, how can you prove that they're just lagging and don't have a fast reaction time to deal with you messing with the doors? Or, the macro user will just say in the forum that the writers need to add a new line to the program that opens closed doors...

So with all your arguments... should we just accept that there are auto-ers? No... HELLO NO!

Im making suggestions, that if implemented on a semi-large scale, would drasticly drive back the auto-ers... STARTING WITH COCACOLABOTTLE :P

I cant prove that someone is lagging, or a slow connection... Hence i say:

Report em all, and let jagex sort it out :)

to cocacolabottle: anything giving you an unfair advantage is a bannable offense, consider your post being sent to jagex :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!