Database Landing Pages

Hi everyone,

We're looking to redesign the pages that you see when you first open our shops, bestiary, and items databases to make them more useful and user friendly. What we would like to know is what features you would like to see added to these pages. For example, recently updated items or recently added items. What do you think would be useful to see when you first open the database?

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Are we talking specific item/shop pages or are we talking about a general first page for the databases?

I will add some suggestions in a while after i have given it some thought :)

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

When I was going for 99 Defence a few months ago, I was aiming to train with my Salve Amulet (e) to increase my attack and strength bonus. I also noticed that not every monster with "Undead" in its category gave me a bonus with my Salve Amulet. I was wondering if it would be possible to put "Undead (s)" for the category of Undead monsters who would give you the bonus with the Salve Amulet.

For both the Bestiary and the Shop's Database, I was wondering if a Unique Item/Drop column would be useful for adding. For instance, next to Jad would read Friecape or next to Corp would be Sigils/Elixir and next to Faruq's Tools for Games would be Marker Seeds etc.

Under the Items Database, I was wondering if a column for "Use" would be practical. Here are some examples (the slash represents a new column):

Items/Use or Origin

Lobster/Heals 120 LP

Rubber Chicken/Easter 2005 Reward

Dark Dagger/Legend's Quest

Korasi's Sword/Spec.: 100% accuracy

Acorn/15 Farming: 481xp

Bandos Chestplate/65 Defence

Sacred Clay/Stealing Creation

Crystal Saw/Invisible +3 Con. bonus

Penance Horn/2x xp to Agility, FM, Mining

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Are we talking specific item/shop pages or are we talking about a general first page for the databases?

The page in question is the first page you see when you visit the database. Right now it just shows some links, the searchbox, and the first 100 entries.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png

To be honest, I feel the website design it's self is a little old and outdated. Perhaps a guess function for the search box, or a more forgiving search function - you can type something slightly wrong and it will not give you any results.

edit - being able to customise you see might be something to consider, just save cookies (i assume).

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The page in question is the first page you see when you visit the database. Right now it just shows some links, the searchbox, and the first 100 entries.

Although we'll gladly accept suggestions for both the specific db entry pages and the landing page for each database. :)

1.png
generic_signature.png

Perhaps a guess function for the search box

That would be nice :P I think that showing the most recently added would be most beneficial. It will help people easily find all the new entries after an update.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Hello i was thinking of idea's on how to improve the item data base, and i think it would be a great idea to give the item database sub base's for

catagories would make the site alot easier to naviagate around hope this helps (:

Hello i was thinking of idea's on how to improve the item data base, and i think it would be a great idea to give the item database sub base's for

catagories would make the site alot easier to naviagate around hope this helps (:

Please correct my if I'm not understanding your post correctly, but you can search within a specific category by simply selecting one from the drop down list next to the search box in the items database. If you want to see all items in that category you can simply leave the search text blank. Is that what you were referring to?

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png

Please correct my if I'm not understanding your post correctly, but you can search within a specific category by simply selecting one from the drop down list next to the search box in the items database. If you want to see all items in that category you can simply leave the search text blank. Is that what you were referring to?

Waza is referring to links to be added as subheadings, which when clicked, show the matching category. Rather than using a search option to e.g. get all Quest items to show, it would be a link clicked.

(he explained it to me over Skype)

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I like the idea of seeing recently updated and added items. Great to give feedback on those items.

Right now it shows the first items in the database based on name. Maybe you could change that to "most viewed" or something like that.

Also if I may add suggestions to the item database, when I was on crew I was trying to change the categories (they were all messed up etc.) I started with moving items from equipable to their normal categories (someone seems to have finished this, good work and my thanks :D). But the categories are still messy, I could make a new topic about it and how to fix it if you want. (Although I don't know when I have the time for it). For example there are treasure trail armour sets in the normal armour category when they belong in the treasure trail category. And you could do with adding and deleting some sub-categories.

You could also make the free/members/both option the same as the dungeoneering option.

Furthermore the next big problem is the text of the items, just look at some armour text and you will see the following:

1) Most of the text are different (should be in one format).

2) They are not informative enough (only saying something like used for combat defence)

To add:

3) All things that can be made should have a description how and on which level (like I tried to do with armour: Can be made using 3 adamant bars and a hammer at any smithing anvil. Requires level 81 smithing to make.)

4) All items should link to the other items that are in the description (link the word in the text, do not put it in the box with links)

I know these things would take a massive amount of time, but it would make the tip.it item database even better then it already is :)

Sorry if it was not ment to post about these kind of suggestions.

Thanks for all the great work on the databases :D

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, perhaps on item DB individual pages, there could be a search bar at the top for going to different items, rather than having to go back to the main page and search again? It can become a bit of a pain.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

) They are not informative enough (only saying something like used for combat defence)

To add:

3) All things that can be made should have a description how and on which level (like I tried to do with armour: Can be made using 3 adamant bars and a hammer at any smithing anvil. Requires level 81 smithing to make.)

4) All items should link to the other items that are in the description (link the word in the text, do not put it in the box with links)

I have been wanting to add more descriptive for items, it's on my to-do list, but I haven't been able to do much with this due to college assignments, exams etc, but my exams are finished with week so I might be able to do some more.

howlin1eeveesig.png

) They are not informative enough (only saying something like used for combat defence)

To add:

I have been wanting to add more descriptive for items, it's on my to-do list, but I haven't been able to do much with this due to college assignments, exams etc, but my exams are finished with week so I might be able to do some more.

Great :D

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!