semi-tradable items

ixfd64

As we know, there are many items that are not tradable due to their use in quests. However, many such quest items have practical uses after the quest is complete.

This gave me an idea: what if certain items were partially tradable? In other words, they can be offered to players that meet certain requirements. Here are some examples:

1. Blurite - it's untradable because it's a key item in The Knight's Sword. However, it can also be used to fletch jade-tipped bolts, which have a more practical use. Yet, all blurite products are untradable. It would not be unreasonable to make blurite tradable among people who have completed the quest.

2. Gorak claws and star flowers - untradable because they are used for a magic essence potion in Fairy Tale II. However, the potion also has practical uses after the quest due to its magic-boosting ability.

3. Extreme and overload potions - I understand that Jagex made these untradable because they want people to have the required herblore level rather than being able to just buy them. However, it wouldn't hurt to allow them to be tradable between high-level herblorists.

Basically, any player can offer a semi-tradable item. However, the receiving player must meet the requirement in order to receive it. For example, if a high-level herblorist offers an extreme potion to a noob, the high-level player would be told that the other player cannot receive it. Semi-tradable items can also be put on the Grand Exchange, although only players meeting the criteria would be able to see the item. The same goes with dropped items; for example, if someone drops blurite ore, only people who have completed The Knight's Sword would be able to see it. Players would NOT be allowed to put semi-tradable items in the party room chest.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Maybe it's just hard to make that possible, for the fear of a potential bug? I can see why that would be good for extremes, blurite wouldn't be too useful, and gorak claws would at least be sellable for some cash.

Maybe it's just hard to make that possible, for the fear of a potential bug? I can see why that would be good for extremes, blurite wouldn't be too useful, and gorak claws would at least be sellable for some cash.

This is the idea i had. It might be that Jagex would have to change the entire coding for how items are traded. If that's the case, it's a lot of work for such a minor update. Plus there's the added risk of people finding a bug to duplicate items/coins in the newly-recoded trade system.

It's true that given some time, this update could have a large impact(Whether good or bad) on the game in the way that Jagex presents future updates. But by the whole, with the whole extreme/ovl thing, i think it'll devalue them. A small portion of rich players will make them for EXP and sell them at low prices, and the rest who just want the level to use them would just buy the potions to save time. Thus devaluing what little amount of necessary DIY'ing is required for your every-day high level scaper' by devaluing the potions themselves.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

and the alternitive to that is having a bunch of potions you cant sell and could never use... (im looking at you, 5k spec rests in my bank...)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

My knee-jerk reaction when reading the topic title was, "God no!" but later when I see you talk about adding more requirements so that no one can simply buy them outright without putting the work into it first...I'm okay with it. I actually think it's a decent idea. It won't solve ALL problems with untradables (ololol serum 203) but it'd really be nice.

hzvjpwS.gif

Maybe it's just hard to make that possible, for the fear of a potential bug?

That's a pretty poor excuse. It's like saying "Don't make the Stone of Jas boost your stats to 255 during a quest, someone might find a bug to abuse that!" I'm sure Jagex could handle it.

I really like this idea. Being able to trade normally untradable objects because "you need to earn them yourself" between people who have already "earned" them makes perfect sense. If it meant I could just note some of my untradable items to toss them out of my bank without the hassle of hefting them out one by one, I'd be all for it on that alone. While it might disrupt some prices of herbs and potions, I think it would be for the better.

Nice suggestion, makes sense, sounds good! :thumbsup:

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Maybe it's just hard to make that possible, for the fear of a potential bug?

That's a pretty poor excuse. It's like saying "Don't make the Stone of Jas boost your stats to 255 during a quest, someone might find a bug to abuse that!" I'm sure Jagex could handle it.

I really like this idea. Being able to trade normally untradable objects because "you need to earn them yourself" between people who have already "earned" them makes perfect sense. If it meant I could just note some of my untradable items to toss them out of my bank without the hassle of hefting them out one by one, I'd be all for it on that alone. While it might disrupt some prices of herbs and potions, I think it would be for the better.

Nice suggestion, makes sense, sounds good! :thumbsup:

It still wouldn't allow you to note untradeable items. I remember reading in a Q&A thing that Jagex did a while ago that the reason the untradeable potions and what not aren't noteable is because the current game engine they're using doesn't allow untradeable items to be noted due to the way they code them or something like that (they even said that if they could, they would make untradeable potions notable for the ease of decanting them). And another reason they wouldn't do it isn't just because of possible bug abuse, but because of all the work they would have to put in to recode all of the untradeable items to allow them to be semi-tradeable.

Having said that, I would totally be happy if they did implement this into the game, I just don't really see it ever happening.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

• 1 month later...