GET OUT OF THE WAY JEFFERY!!!!

Wessan

So I am smelting gold in Edgeville and I play on a widescreen and a resizable playing window.

I can manipulate the camera angle to where from the bank I can one click the furnace, and from the furnace 2 click the bank booth; however, there is one foe that stands in my way of efficiency: his name is JEFFERY.

Yes, Jeffery the [cabbage] who walks around the Edgeville furnace serving no purpose but to tell noobs they cant use it, and standing in my way when I am one-clicking the furnace to smelt my ores once every few times. This man must be stopped.

wessan.png

He's actually there for the Gunnar's Ground quest.

That, and it's Jeffery's Furnace anyway, from what I understand. Further, Jeffery makes a useful anti-bot measure anyway, as it means that you have to make sure you're landing the proper click or you'll end up talking with him instead. So I'm rather sure they're here to stay, as it would otherwise disjoint RuneScape. ;)

~D. V. "Sorry, Jagex won't be changing this..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

He doesn't have to be removed, who said that? Just put him in one damn spot instead of him wandering about. If that's your idea of 'an effective anti-bot measure' then you're off your rocker. Because if that was truly a deterrent then they would simply use a different furnace. Face it, legitimate players use that furnace because of its close location to a bank and the shortest distance to it. Bots don't care if it's a few seconds less than other furnaces, time is infinite for them because they're artificial. They're not looking for efficiency, they're simply looking to complete a set task.

So if you're actually convinced that it's an effective anti bot measure then you need to think again.

There's no reason for that NPC to be wandering around like that and I agree wholeheartedly with you TC.

hzvjpwS.gif

He doesn't have to be removed, who said that? Just put him in one damn spot instead of him wandering about. If that's your idea of 'an effective anti-bot measure' then you're off your rocker. Because if that was truly a deterrent then they would simply use a different furnace. Face it, legitimate players use that furnace because of its close location to a bank and the shortest distance to it. Bots don't care if it's a few seconds less than other furnaces, time is infinite for them because they're artificial. They're not looking for efficiency, they're simply looking to complete a set task.

So if you're actually convinced that it's an effective anti bot measure then you need to think again.

There's no reason for that NPC to be wandering around like that and I agree wholeheartedly with you TC.

Its effective at keeping most bots off that furnace.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

And instead they use another. That is not the purpose of having anti-bot measures. The purpose of anti-bot measures is to outright STOP botting. This doesn't cause them to stop, they just go somewhere else. How exactly is that effective? It's not. If we're going to look at it from your perspective, then the task system is an 'anti bot measure' too! Well PROBLEM SOLVED! No more bots! Oh wait, there are still bots everywhere. Nevermind. Not to mention the fact that if such a misclick happened, it would take very little time for bot owners to find a way around it and go right back to botting. Hardly effective...

Sorry, but that's an absolutely stupid reason to keep the NPC wandering and, if anything, spoils the reward from the Task system slightly.

hzvjpwS.gif

And instead they use another. That is not the purpose of having anti-bot measures. The purpose of anti-bot measures is to outright STOP botting. This doesn't cause them to stop, they just go somewhere else. How exactly is that effective? It's not. If we're going to look at it from your perspective, then the task system is an 'anti bot measure' too! Well PROBLEM SOLVED! No more bots! Oh wait, there are still bots everywhere. Nevermind. Not to mention the fact that if such a misclick happened, it would take very little time for bot owners to find a way around it and go right back to botting. Hardly effective...

Sorry, but that's an absolutely stupid reason to keep the NPC wandering and, if anything, spoils the reward from the Task system slightly.

It stops bots using the best furnace in-game, its effective at that.

Plus it is fairly decent in that bots use worse furnaces therefore can be outpaced by proper players; if anything I'd say add more wandering npcs around furnaces to reall screw up at least 1 subsection of bots.

Also fyi the purpose of an anti-bot measure is never to outright stop botting; because that is utterly impossible. It is meant to hinder and disrupt bots so that less of them function effectively.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Not to mention the fact that if such a misclick happened, it would take very little time for bot owners to find a way around it and go right back to botting. Hardly effective...

So no, it doesn't.

Plus it is fairly decent in that bots use worse furnaces therefore can be outpaced by proper players; if anything I'd say add more wandering npcs around furnaces to reall screw up at least 1 subsection of bots.

I can agree that they should've gone all-or-nothing and not this awkward random NPC just popping around where all other furnaces lack then. Yet at the same time what do they gain by doing that except inconveniencing legitimate players and having virtually no impact on them? Sorry, but that's not worth it.

Also fyi the purpose of an anti-bot measure is never to outright stop botting; because that is utterly impossible. It is meant to hinder and disrupt bots so that less of them function effectively.

Fair enough. The concept was right in my head (cost not worth the benefits) but I put it down really piss-poor on paper. Kind of ashamed at that. Sorry. :/

hzvjpwS.gif

Not to mention the fact that if such a misclick happened, it would take very little time for bot owners to find a way around it and go right back to botting. Hardly effective...

So no, it doesn't.

If it doesn't work how come there's pretty much never bots at that furnace?

Yes theoretically bots could be made to work around a misclick. but few are and reality speaks for itself that there's rarely bots at edge furnace

So it is effective at keeping bots off that furnace. You can argue all you like but its a pure a simple fact: Edgeville furnace is mostly bot free because Jeffery is effective at causing misclicks and thus keeps them away; it doesn't matter what you think/know bots can or can't do the reality still remains the same, that reality being bots aren't there cause jeffery mucks em up.

Proof that bots mostly can't deal with misclicks:

All the bots you can easily lead astray by wearing coloured clothes (eg flax bots) and all the ones that get completely screwed up by minor game changes.

After a game update about 2 weeks ago I saw a whole load of ess bots in yanille bank just going to edge of bank and back again due to misclicks with no self-correction despite the fact nothing even changed there for them to misclick too dramatically.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

And you know there are no bots there...why? Because you don't see people there with names like 'setewsoxrttz'? Because there's so many people using less sophisticated bot programs that there must be all the sorts there are, and none of them are being used to go to the furnace?

I dunno man. You've got me that my point isn't as concrete as I hope, but neither is yours. What it comes down to really is whether or not it's worth the hassle. For all that you've got valid points and showed me the flaws in my argument, that remains unchanged: it's not worth the hassle.

hzvjpwS.gif

And you know there are no bots there...why? Because you don't see people there with names like 'setewsoxrttz'? Because there's so many people using less sophisticated bot programs that there must be all the sorts there are, and none of them are being used to go to the furnace?

I dunno man. You've got me that my point isn't as concrete as I hope, but neither is yours. What it comes down to really is whether or not it's worth the hassle. For all that you've got valid points and showed me the flaws in my argument, that remains unchanged: it's not worth the hassle.

I'm basing it on several months spent smelting gold ore at edgeville furnace combined with general experience around rs and travels.

Yes I can by no means spot every single bot, but the majority you can spot or at least suspect easily.

In all my time at edge furnace I saw 3 people who were possibly bots (went to jeffery a bit too often compared to normal players and despite "chatting" only said random phrases that repeated) and 2 that definitely were (they broke cause of jeffery); compared to other furnaces where you can see several bots a day or even just walking passed.

So yeah I'd say its fairly concrete that Jeffrey causing misclicks if an effective anti-bot measure at edge furnace and I'd say its pretty concrete as an argument; certainly far more concrete than yours.

Edgeville furnace has less bots than most furnaces.

Edgeville furnace has a unique npc that can cause misclicks compared to other furnaces.

Logic therefore would suggest that bots don't use edge due to the misclick issue caused by jeffery.

In-depth research may prove some other factor, but the most logically and likely reason is the two obvious differences between edge furnace and others are linked. The differences being low bot numbers and jeffery.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I have the same amount of experience and play time and I disagree with you. So where does that leave us in terms of strength of argument but a stalemate? Correlation does not imply causation yet neither of us have the information to prove otherwise. So I'm sorry I even brought it up, I should've known better than that. Thank you for showing me that.

hzvjpwS.gif

But there is less bots at edge furnace, you can clearly see that and factors causing misclick is known to mess up a lot of bots.

True it may not be worth the hassle, I don't really have a opinion on that; just that it is effective at keeping bots off that furnace.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

But there is less bots at edge furnace, you can clearly see that and factors causing misclick is known to mess up a lot of bots

I don't know why you keep pushing that like it's definitive proof that you are right and I am wrong. There aren't less bots there as opposed to any other furnace out there. And if there are how are you certain it's not because of the furnace's requirements for use and not this misclick issue, which is easily resolved (the Sorceress' Garden is testament to that)? We don't have the data to say otherwise and I think you should leave it at that rather than fighting a useless battle. I've acknowledged the problems with my argument, maybe you should as well.

hzvjpwS.gif

Devnull you are soooooo annoying.

I had a really similar problem with logging to keep my boost timer while making overloads at the soulwars bank with the irritating Nomad wondering about infront of the bank causing me to click on him and mess up my banking making me lose about 2 the time to make two invents of potions.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

But there is less bots at edge furnace, you can clearly see that and factors causing misclick is known to mess up a lot of bots

I don't know why you keep pushing that like it's definitive proof that you are right and I am wrong. There aren't less bots there as opposed to any other furnace out there. And if there are how are you certain it's not because of the furnace's requirements for use and not this misclick issue, which is easily resolved (the Sorceress' Garden is testament to that)? We don't have the data to say otherwise and I think you should leave it at that rather than fighting a useless battle. I've acknowledged the problems with my argument, maybe you should as well.

The thing is though there are less bots there; you can clearly see there are even in a short term comparison of the active furnaces and spending any long term time there you can see a fair few misguided botters get messed up by Jeffery.

I'm not claiming it stops all bots or anything like that; just that from experience there it is pretty clear there are less obvious bots than other good furnaces and the ones that do turn up do get messed up by Jeffery.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

He's actually there for the Gunnar's Ground quest.

Exactly, there for noobs, they cant click things while they move, he should be stationary. The logic of my rant is sound, I am right. :)

So, I had already thought about Jeffery as the anti-bot measurement for the Edgeville furnace, but I wrote the rant just to complain about him getting in the way, its annoying, I was frustrated, and I vented. I thought many more people would agree that he was an annoyance rather than argue about his validity as a anti-bot measurement, but oh well.

wessan.png

I thought many more people would agree that he was an annoyance rather than argue about his validity as a anti-bot measurement, but oh well.

I do agree but why get upset about discussion progression? lol

hzvjpwS.gif

-Looking at the character from east.

-Click near the furnace on minimap.

-Click on the furnace when it comes to view.

There's no way for you to click him rather than the furnace.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

He is not an effective anti-bot measurement.... You know bots have the option to right click on things right? It would be simple for the person writing the script to have the bot just right click the furnace every time and move the mouse down to the "Smelt" option or whatever it says for using the furnace. That would render Jeffery completely useless.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

@Saunamajari:

Your method completely defeats the purpose of my one click efficency for moving to the furnace from bank

I see.

Well, I don't mind that one extra click.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

• 4 weeks later...

Edgeville bank is probably the most botted furnace in p2p, perhaps with the exception of al kharid for bots without the quest requirments for edgeville.

Of course botters care about efficiency, they're run by humans and even though it requires no extra effort from them, they still want things done as fast as possible so they can move onto botting another skill or selling the account.

As for an anti-bot measure(For that furnace) i just find that humorous. Any decent bot can right click or find the right location to click way faster than a human can and doesn't get annoyed or slowed down by having to do so.

CNqWHdA.jpg

We all have to stop and think about how bots work. For the most part they don't change the camera angle, they click on the mini map to get to a location and then click say furnace when they get in the room. The only reason the NPC is there is for the quest. You don't know how many bots are there at one said time. Logic over internet keyboard ragers.

jhgfdfghjkjhgfdsdgfh.jpg