Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Progressive Metal"

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

i_love_burritos
[ Display Name History ]

i_love_burritos

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,668 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Yeah, so can someone suggest good progressive metal, the inverted commas being present due to some overlap / confusion (?) as to what constitutes progressive metal (I am still not sure).

But yeah, throw some suggestions at me ?

Thanks y'all.

^ a few songs.

Atom Smash40
[ Display Name History ]

Atom Smash40

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Atom Smash40
  • RSN2:Gorgeous War
Dream Theater is probably the most known prog band.

Kamelot counts too I believe.

Nightwish has some progressive style songs.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts
*points to avatar*

77yLQy8.png

Intriguing
[ Display Name History ]

Intriguing

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Intriguing

Good call, that was my favourite song from my favourite band for a couple of years actually. Haven't really listened to them in a while but they're good quality.

I don't listen to a great deal of prog, but as a starting point I might suggest Mastodon. They're a really well-known band but with good reason. From my observation a lot of prog metal is made up of ridiculous amounts of time signature changes that serve no purpose other than to make the music sound "complicated", but Mastodon are one of the few prog bands who handle the time signature changes well and make them sound as if they're actually meant to be in the music.
Cool.

Maleficus1055
[ Display Name History ]

Maleficus1055

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • RSN:Armyman19
If you're also a fan of Power metal, Blind Guardian's newer stuff, especially their latest release, could be considered progressive metal. One of my favorite prog bands is Pain of Salvation, and I'd also recommend checking out Riverside, Adagio, and Spheric Universe Experience.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

If you're also a fan of Power metal, Blind Guardian's newer stuff, especially their latest release, could be considered progressive metal. One of my favorite prog bands is Pain of Salvation, and I'd also recommend checking out Riverside, Adagio, and Spheric Universe Experience.

This + Symphony X and Fates Warning.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,236 posts

Arsonists Get All The Girls.

Atleast on the Portals album

Tool is an absolute must, as well.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

From my observation a lot of prog metal is made up of ridiculous amounts of time signature changes that serve no purpose other than to make the music sound "complicated", but Mastodon are one of the few prog bands who handle the time signature changes well and make them sound as if they're actually meant to be in the music.

That's mostly because playing in 4/4 becomes more boring/mundane the more talented you become

77yLQy8.png

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Albel
  • RSN2:Seaoh
  • Clan:SoDB

Tool is an absolute must, as well.

:thumbup:

One of my top 3 bands right there.

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

From my observation a lot of prog metal is made up of ridiculous amounts of time signature changes that serve no purpose other than to make the music sound "complicated", but Mastodon are one of the few prog bands who handle the time signature changes well and make them sound as if they're actually meant to be in the music.

That's mostly because playing in 4/4 becomes more boring/mundane the more talented you become

Though bands that play technical for the sake of being technical can be boring to listen to. Though I can't say anything about specific time signatures, it ends up sounding like the band is trying to show off in the middle of an otherwise good song.
For a Dream Theater example, I love the song "Ministry of Lost Souls", but the solo sounds like they just threw it in because there wasn't anywhere else to put it. A solo or instrumental section like the one in 'Hollow Years" or "Learning to Live" would have probably suited the song better.

Maleficus1055
[ Display Name History ]

Maleficus1055

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,291 posts

Though bands that play technical for the sake of being technical can be boring to listen to. Though I can't say anything about specific time signatures, it ends up sounding like the band is trying to show off in the middle of an otherwise good song.
For a Dream Theater example, I love the song "Ministry of Lost Souls", but the solo sounds like they just threw it in because there wasn't anywhere else to put it. A solo or instrumental section like the one in 'Hollow Years" or "Learning to Live" would have probably suited the song better.

My problem with Dream Theater, especially later DT (Systematic Chaos and BC&SL era) is that it seems like nearly every songs has a guitar solo and keyboard solo, or a solo battle, and for no real purpose other than to have it there. We get it, you can play your instruments.

eias
[ Display Name History ]

eias

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • RSN:Cybermullet
Between the buried and me
Dream theater
Gojira
All i can think of atm..
Posted Image

Maleficus1055
[ Display Name History ]

Maleficus1055

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
Ooh, and Devin Townsend.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Ooh, and Devin Townsend.

Ayreon, as well. Progressive metal supergroup-type thing.

Only reminded of him/them by the fact that Devin Townshend was in The Human Equation. :razz:

Maleficus1055
[ Display Name History ]

Maleficus1055

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,291 posts

Ooh, and Devin Townsend.

Ayreon, as well. Progressive metal supergroup-type thing.

Only reminded of him/them by the fact that Devin Townshend was in The Human Equation. :razz:

Ayreon as well, or Star One for that matter.
Into the Electric Castle is an amazing album. My friend is actually making a DnD campagin based off of its storyline.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

My problem with Dream Theater, especially later DT (Systematic Chaos and BC&SL era) is that it seems like nearly every songs has a guitar solo and keyboard solo, or a solo battle, and for no real purpose other than to have it there. We get it, you can play your instruments.

It's fine w/ me as long as the solo is melodic. The Best of Times from BC&SL has become my favorite song since I first heard it in 2009, mostly because of its beautiful, climactic solo

77yLQy8.png

TheDefiniteArticle
[ Display Name History ]

TheDefiniteArticle

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 22 posts
Tool are not a metal band. Ignore anyone who suggests Opeth, they suck. ;)

No mention of Control Denied yet? Schuldiner's other band, they played quality progressive power metal. Other progressive metal bands with cleans:

Communic
Fates Warning
Ihsahn
Labyrinth
Queensryche (no mention yet? For shame! Operation: Mindcrime is a classic of the genre)
Threshold

And harsh vocals:

Shining (NOR)
The Ocean (GER)
Dan Swano
Burst
Altar Of Plagues
Arcturus
Code
Enslaved
The Meads Of Asphodel
Nachtmystium
Solefald
Ved Buens Ende
Atheist (fantastic band)
The Chasm
Cosmic Atrophy
Edge Of Sanity
Pan.Thy.Monium
Pestilence (on Spheres)
Portal (very weird)

Also, the guy who mentioned Arsonists Get All The Girls is not your friend. Terrible, terrible, even for deathcore.

D Jay99
[ Display Name History ]

D Jay99

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,105 posts
  • RSN:D Jay99
^ quality post. Haven't listened to metal in ages but I really should.

Can recommend watchtower, once you get past the vocals they're really good. Also Gorod and Gorguts, though those are more prog death.
Posted Image

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,236 posts

Tool are not a metal band. Ignore anyone who suggests Opeth, they suck. ;)

No mention of Control Denied yet? Schuldiner's other band, they played quality progressive power metal. Other progressive metal bands with cleans:

Communic
Fates Warning
Ihsahn
Labyrinth
Queensryche (no mention yet? For shame! Operation: Mindcrime is a classic of the genre)
Threshold

And harsh vocals:

Shining (NOR)
The Ocean (GER)
Dan Swano
Burst
Altar Of Plagues
Arcturus
Code
Enslaved
The Meads Of Asphodel
Nachtmystium
Solefald
Ved Buens Ende
Atheist (fantastic band)
The Chasm
Cosmic Atrophy
Edge Of Sanity
Pan.Thy.Monium
Pestilence (on Spheres)
Portal (very weird)

Also, the guy who mentioned Arsonists Get All The Girls is not your friend. Terrible, terrible, even for deathcore.

You seem like the kind of guy that spends excessive hours on youtube criticizing other people's posts on songs you don't even enjoy :P

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

TheDefiniteArticle
[ Display Name History ]

TheDefiniteArticle

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 22 posts
I'm the sort of guy who spends way too long listening to music and thus forms strong opinions about nearly everything I hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users