Killing Vanstrom?

Howlin0001

What's a good setup/method to kill Vanstrom? I think I heard somewhere dragon hide is good?

(Keep in mind I don't have access to overloads or any dungeoneering rewards. I have 72 prayer and 82 summoning)

howlin1eeveesig.png

What's a good setup/method to kill Vanstrom? I think I heard somewhere dragon hide is good?

(Keep in mind I don't have access to overloads or any dungeoneering rewards. I have 72 prayer and 82 summoning)

Bump for interest. I will be needing to know this soon as well.

EDIT. RSWIKI has a set up guide if you want to check that out.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/The_Branches_of_Darkmeyer#The_battle_with_Vanstrom

35b9enp.jpg

This helped me: (Credit goes to Draz ofc :P)

I LOVED this quest, and Darkmeyer is beautiful!

If you need help with boss, here's a few tips:

[hide=BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS]

Helm: Neitz helm

Cape: SW cape/skill cape/fire cape

Amulet: Fury/Glory

Top: Black dhide body (Karil's not really recommended incase you DO die; as if it drops then it will break)

Weapon: Blisterwood polearm

Bottoms: Black dhide legs (Same applies for karil bottoms)

Gloves: RFD gloves

Boots: Dragon boots, possibly..I'm not sure, I wore snakeskin as they were the only boots I had!

Ring: Ring of Life (just incase!)

Inventory:

Draken Medallion (I just had it incase he outhit the ROL and I could tele back- it is automatically kept upon death along with Darkmeyer clothing)

Extreme set/super set

1 Prayer Potion

Blisterwood stakes

HOLY WATER is essential. (Obtained during the quest)

Darkmeyer clothes set (Wear them to before you go into the fight, then switch to combat gear in the pre-fight room)

Food: Personally, I took Baron Sharks because I had them in the bank, though you should take Rocktails, Juju Gumbo or normal sharks!

IF YOU USE A FAMILIAR! Use a unicorn! It's healing helps out a good bit if you're hit!

Don't forget your familiar scrolls!

The fight:

Before you face Vanstrom, you must kill his Bloodveld, in the pre-fight room!

You can kill this easily by praying melee and then throwing the holy water on it at the beginning of the fight.

Once you kill the bloodveld, you have a breather before you can enter the next room and face Vanstrom.

Walk in (Don't pray yet!) and go through the dialouge, and once finished, stick on your prayer protection.

For the fight, I prayed MAGE and PROTECT ITEM. Though if you have Curses, then you could try the Deflect mage, Protect item then turm with you're hitting him, and SS on the bloodvelings he summons after halfway.

He uses a few attacks,

His magic attack is a read ball he fires at you; prayer protects against this

Melee, if you're up close, which you will be; though you should be able to tank any hits

'Darkness', this can hit HIGH and though prayer and it is EASILY AVOIDABLE! All you need to do is step away from him and FACE AWAY from him!

Blood pools, this is when he goes airbourne- these pools are the main things that will hurt if they catch you; all you need to do is circle the room, while switched to the blisterwood staked, and throw them at you while avoiding the puddles. The puddles hit 400+ so do be careful at this part.

Freeze- at random points during the blood puddle/flight stage, he can freeze you in place, allowing the puddle to hit you. Just keep clicking away from them!

Bloodvelings summon, he summons 2 bloodveld type of creatures at the north and south ends of the room; they will not hurt you but make sure to kill them quickly or THEY WILL HEAL VANSTROM. They only have 50 LP and low defence.

Mistified- This is his final stage, and it is at this point which you use the holy water! Use the holy water and lure him over it and it will kill him. Though beware, he does have a magic attack at this stage which isn't blocked by the mage prayer although it may lower the damage from it. Just keep on your toes and keep spamming that holy water.

Finally, you've killed Vanstrom! Though you have one last thing to do in this fight, I won't spoil the surprise ;)

[/hide]

I hope this helps a bit!

r4x9.png

260pifq.jpg
gikxIau.png

Use void/bandos. Pray mage if you're not in melee distance, pray melee if you are.

Use the blisterwood polearm, and your best potions + prayers. Wack him until he flies up. At this point, run around the outside of the pillars and DON"T STOP. If he freezes you, just keep clicking and you won't get hit by the blood pools. When he comes down, resume attacking him. When he turms into a mist, lure it to the middle of the room and spam click ur holy water vial. make sure he's over the pool to damage him. It's sort of like luring kyatts/graahks for pitfall traps, just imagine the holy water as the trap and Vanstrom (mist) as the prey.

Staurolite.png

Dragonhide is ideal, though personally I found the darkmeyer clothes to not be that terrible. Use piety, pray mage, tug along a tort with 3:1 brews, bring superset and fill your invo with brews and restores. I've heard many suggest that you run corner to corner during his blood attacks, but sometimes this stage can really drag out... I recommend attempting to kite him. There's a bit of leeway in terms of how long you can stand still before the blots damage you, so you can actually just run up to Vanstrom, smack him a hit, and then back away. Keep your HP above 600 always (I've seen the blood attack hit in the 560s), honestly the fight is just a ton of running around. Make sure to make the most out of any moments that the guy spends on the ground, because it's a good opportunity for you to heal up and repot without having to worry about dashing everywhere.

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

just as an extra idea: DONT take weapons with animation lag (excalibur special). Also I would never take degradable stuff that won't protect: if you die during blood barrage you can't select which item you wish to take.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Using blood barrage is easiest. You can outheal any time you mess up, you don't need gear switches, you can attack while he's flying.

Ranged serves much the same all-round purpose.

Melee requires a switch to attack him while he's flying. Melee only is kind of a weak strategy. It works, but it's not worth it.

Brew/restore is not great without overloads so I'd go with a war tortoise, rocktails and blood barrage for ranged switch.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It may not be a gear tip but make sure you have a good connection and nothing in the background to prevent your computer to respond quickly. The hardest part is dodging the blood pools which can be incredibly difficult if you're system is unable to process the information as fast as you click.

Gear wise,

I used void melee, super potions, and lots and lost of sharks with a unicorn familiar. Pray accordingly and just stay calm and collected.

soulthresher.png

Using blood barrage is easiest. You can outheal any time you mess up, you don't need gear switches, you can attack while he's flying.

Ranged serves much the same all-round purpose.

Melee requires a switch to attack him while he's flying. Melee only is kind of a weak strategy. It works, but it's not worth it.

Brew/restore is not great without overloads so I'd go with a war tortoise, rocktails and blood barrage for ranged switch.

I'm sure I was able to attack him in the air?

howlin1eeveesig.png

@quy: you don't have to swap to range/magic during flying.. You can still attack him with melee.

And I found it much easier / less stressing. Whereas with ranged you have to attack > immediatelly move, with melee you can attack, and your avatar will charge towards him. During this charging you have some time to position your mouse so you can "retreat" again.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

My bad :(. Then melee is best.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Unfortunate that some people weren't able to choose their items. I had no problems there, although my verac top and skirt were autoselected anyway. I prayed protect from mage the whole time as well as piety, as I mostly melee'd. Try to get a melee hit or two on him while he is flying, he seems really susceptible then. Stakes work great there, too.

If you have ever done some of the first dungeon floors you may have fought Luminescent Icefiend. His special attack is nearly similar to Vanstrom's blood bombs. You don't really have to run all around the room, just a few steps, but bottom line, keep moving. Move move move. But do try to get some hits in. I found if I waited out the whole attack, the whole fight took too long and I got low on supplies.

Once he is down to like, 10%, he turns into mist. Spam the cabbage out of that holy water. It take a few clicks to make a big puddle. One of the above posters had it right that it is just like luring an animal into a deadfall trap.

After you have defeated him, he will deliver a sucker punch that hits very very hard. Make sure you keep your health high as he goes down. However, some people have found if they use ROL and get teleported, they do not have to fight Vanstrom again.

no need to use dhide when void is nearly as good defensively and much better offensively. kite him so you don't need to worry about the melee attack. this also keeps you in constant motion so you are less susceptible to the single blood bomb attack that he likes to pull out of nowhere.

a few sharks did it for me.

you attack him and run back, forcing him to use his magic attack, then run back in, attack, and run away. timed this, he can only use his magic attack on you, ever and you get complete immunity from melee attacks.

also works on 360s in fight caves as well as anything else with a melee +mage/range attack, and if there's an obstacle it'll work on any attack