Deaths while keying

Jeff Delu

Recently I've started keying all my floors and I noticed it's incredibly difficult to keep a low amount of deaths per floor. I don't mind 1-2 deaths but I seem to be averaging 3-4 and its really hurting my xp rates. My binds are a primal battleaxe, hood, and a surgebox. I know it is certainly possible to get less deaths than I have been without sacrificing speed but I could really use some pointers. So if you have any tips that I could use to cut down on my deaths the would be highly appreciated. :D

2496 total achieved June 30, 2013

Where are you dying?

If you're dying in puzzle rooms - can you do the puzzle room faster?

If you're dying in GDs - are you safe spotting/kiting/etc to mitigate damage?

Some other things to think about:

-Are you praying correctly?

-Are you taking off hoods for some rooms (if you're just running through them to open a door or something) so you're not dehooded in the room after that where there are like 10 rangers and 5 warriors?

capt%20kevin.png

I partly agree with the above, but don't over-rely on the plate. Try to survive without it after using it.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

I am planning on binding a plate when I get 100 but I still have 5.5m xp to go :P Also what is kiting?

Attacking then retreating before the monster can retaliate.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

when you bind a plate you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff

You worry less but the concerns are still there.

There's no real excuses in being negligent/take damage you can avoid without slowing down the floor.

Whats your rsn and who exactly do you dg with?

---

@OP,

you can think of kiting ghosts in DG (or 360s when going for a fire cape)

ghosts have a melee attack and a magic attack - if you're not right next to them, they obviously will only use magic.

The idea is that you attack them and move one square away before the ghost attacks so you can pray mage and not take any damage.

capt%20kevin.png

Another good tip is to make sure you know what's attacking you, and how many of each style. For example if there's 1 113 mage on you but a 2 114 rangers it would be better to pray range (not that you don't know this) and if you have no armour it's better to pray range even if there's only 1 114 ranger and 1 113 mager because the magers have a habit of trying to reduce your stats but the rangers hit quite well.

Try to trap monsters behind others as well, like a meleer behind a ranger or a 131 melee behind a lvl 3 zombie (assuming your unhooded and the GD is the only available path).

EDIT:Also at fire rage below, please think before you post.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

break battle axe and surge box, bind laws and a 2h and stop being terrible at pray switching

oh and bind a plate when you get 100

But battleaxe and csb are good

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

break battle axe and surge box, bind laws and a 2h and stop being terrible at pray switching

It sounds to me like he is an adept dungeoneer, so he probably knows how to use B Axe.

Oh and no, don't do that.

EDIT: @ TheKoolAndy: What was wrong with this post?

azeem1992.png

Another good tip is to make sure you know what's attacking you, and how many of each style. For example if there's 1 113 mage on you but a 2 114 rangers it would be better to pray range (not that you don't know this) and if you have no armour it's better to pray range even if there's only 1 114 ranger and 1 113 mager because the magers have a habit of trying to reduce your stats but the rangers hit quite well.

Try to trap monsters behind others as well, like a meleer behind a ranger or a 131 melee behind a lvl 3 zombie (assuming your unhooded and the GD is the only available path).

Mages can be tricky cause they can

a.) reduce your stats which is bad for GDs/room clearing but also if you just so happened to reach a door where you need a certain str to open :(

b.) they bind you so you get stuck and attacked more

capt%20kevin.png

It sounds to me like he is an adept dungeoneer, so he probably knows how to use B Axe.

Oh and no, don't do that.

If he keys all his floors, a plate could be more useful to him than an offensive bind.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

Mages can be tricky cause they can

a.) reduce your stats which is bad for GDs/room clearing but also if you just so happened to reach a door where you need a certain str to open :(

b.) they bind you so you get stuck and attacked more

Mhmm, was going to add more but I'm tanking bandos right now. :P I do find that when you have multiples of another style vs 1 mage is usually is better to not pray mage (in my experience).

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

yeah surgebox and primal battleaxe are good if you don't know how to take full advantage of 2h for luring, looking at map, doing puzzle-gds, looting food between hits, and want to waste 30 seconds every dung to kill 1-2 warriors a second faster and make c1s a pain andd wanna be a pain to the hexers that actually need to sell arrows @ start

oh and no plate is good if you like spending a second analyzing whats in the next room, adjusting ur pray instead of running through the whole room praying mage before your door lag ends

Most of my deaths are when I'm running around opening doors and I simply don't have any food. I think I should really pay attention to exactly what monsters are in every room so I can take off my hood to avoid getting killed in the next room like litterbug suggested. Also would it make a significant difference for me to train my defence/magic levels to take less damage? And if I were to abandon my melee weapon for a piece of armour would I be better off with a promethium platebody or a tyrannoleather body?

I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me so far :D

2496 total achieved June 30, 2013

^ Do you have any proof of that claim?

azeem1992.png

Most of my deaths are when I'm running around opening doors and I simply don't have any food. I think I should really pay attention to exactly what monsters are in every room so I can take off my hood to avoid getting killed in the next room like litterbug suggested. Also would it make a significant difference for me to train my defence/magic levels to take less damage? And if I were to abandon my melee weapon for a piece of armour would I be better off with a promethium platebody or a tyrannoleather body?

I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me so far :D

You'd want the prom pl8 body (although the primal pl8 is much better)

Think about it this way - generally, mages are the ones that dehood you

Since they're already magic based - you'd want to protect magic (and therefore grab range defense)

Also, platebodys have a LOT better melee defense and no negative melee bonus

capt%20kevin.png

Offensive binds are usually +6% to your dps. One death deducts more than this.

Defensive binds help prevent deaths and the need to eat food. Hence, defensive binds are generally more exp/hour.

Should never destroy your melee weapon ever. Would be better to train def to 99 for a primal plate, but I don't know how much better it is from prom.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

^ Do you have any proof of that claim?

the time you spend looting food with a bind like p gaunts negates w/e time is saved from the extra damage you deal in itself.. but thats assuming that much food is even available .. and when it isn't not having a plate can drastically harm exp/hr

and the whole keyers should bind plate while others bind gaunts/necks/etc is bs, a proper dger (when not keying) should be doing no less than a keyer, the point of the keyer is to track keys and hold ggs, not to guide clueless dgers around and tank for them.

I don't know this, but if you know proper room clearing techniques, what you said becomes obsolete.

azeem1992.png

I don't know this, but if you know proper room clearing techniques, what you said becomes obsolete.

That's limited to GD clearing. What Maz is talking about is running paths through the dungeon, where you don't actually stop to fight anything, just rushing through rooms to continue a path carved out. There's really limited skill requiring in the actual act of running from one side of a room to another (short of using cover), so in those situations any "room-clearing techniques" you have aren't going to help much.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.