grey chins, yay or nay

Mh1456

So at the time I write this you can buy about 2 grey chins for every red chin....hmm. But greys have lower ranged bonus and strength (or no ranged strength?). Anyways, I could buy like a bajillion grey ones, but idk. I'm almost 94 ranged, and then I might chin from 94-99 or 95-99 at ape atoll. Dunno if should use greys though. Advice?

Mari0.png

Mari0.png

From some time ago I seem to remember greys being worth it if you don't mind it taking longer. Obviously the lower ranged bonus means generally lower hits so more would be needed to reach your target but the significantly lower price you would spend less on the chins themselves.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to prove me either right or wrong and might have more info for you.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

Depends on your income level. Personally I don't see the point of chinning until you've cannoned your way through 99 slayer but go for it if otherwise.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Depends on your income level. Personally I don't see the point of chinning until you've cannoned your way through 99 slayer but go for it if otherwise.

My income level comes around to maybe 500k a day if you spread it around evenly. Also, thanks for reply but I don't really want 99 Slayer :P

Mari0.png

Mari0.png

I did the maths about a week ago and greys are worth using if your income is 600k/hour or less. Prices have changed significantly since then though so that may not be accurate.

Looking at your levels, you should be capable of making that easily at TDs or another boss.

CNqWHdA.jpg

You can easily make 1m+ an hour at green drags regardless, so use red chinchompas, void + acp combo, and eagle eye prayer

"Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances."

Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

G%20I%20Jackass.png

G_I_Jackass.png

You can easily make 1m+ an hour at green drags regardless, so use red chinchompas, void + acp combo, and eagle eye prayer

The extra time needed for void alone is not worth it, and you need protect from melee

1mil per hour means you need to kill at least 285 dragons per hour at the current rate, which is less than likely.

The extra time needed for void alone is not worth it, and you need protect from melee

1mil per hour means you need to kill at least 285 dragons per hour at the current rate, which is less than likely.

I DO already have full void set with elite top and bottom. I also already have over 150 prayer pots left from a few months ago (can't remember why I bought them...) but I guess I have a use for them now! Also, slightly less related, why are ranging potions so much more expensive than all the others?

edit: I don't have armadyl chest plate, but I don't think thats really that necessary anyways.. I would use the standard chinning setup. Trimmed skillcape, prayer book, etc. :)

Mari0.png

Mari0.png

Try not to use a trimmed skillcape if you have, for example, a soul wars cape, or try getting one at least. Deflector is significantly better than prayer book as well.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Try not to use a trimmed skillcape if you have, for example, a soul wars cape, or try getting one at least. Deflector is significantly better than prayer book as well.

Yeah, even if you only have a karils body deflector is still much better than void body and unholy book. Hell, even dhide is a lot better.

CNqWHdA.jpg

breakoff income is 1.84 mil gp/hour to use red chins vs grey chins at current GE mid price. assuming a constant flow of monsters.

If the monster respawn rate is slow, and you're killing them too fast with red chins that they can't respawn fast enough to keep up, then the breakoff income could be lower.

Because monster respawn rate + kill rate will inhibit how many targets you will be hitting per red chin moreso than it would affect grey chin.

[spoiler="Calculations]after range gear lets say you have 165 ranged attack bonus with grey chins

and 190 with red chins.

after you add the 64 invisible equipment bonus, you get up to 10% increase in accuracy.

lets say you're 75% accurate on your target, that means accuracy would attribute a ~2.5% increase in dps.

so lets juts say that, 2-3% contribution due to accuracy. being 1% off here won't really matter.

Both weapons are the same attack speed, in contradiction to what is stated on rs wiki.

once again 15 ranged strength and 0 ranged strength, after 64 invisible equipment bonus is a 23.4% bonus to dps.

So 1.234 x 1.025 = 1.265x increase

assuming GE mid price, which is rising but we'll account for that later:

it costs 273 per grey chin, 546k per hour.

you only need to throw 2000/1.265 = 1580 red chins to get the same amount of range xp as 1 hour of grey chins

that's 933k gp in red chins, to save you 0.2 hours

Price delta of 387k, translating to a breakoff income of about 1.85 mil gp/hour.

I did the maths about a week ago and greys are worth using if your income is 600k/hour or less. Prices have changed significantly since then though so that may not be accurate.

Looking at your levels, you should be capable of making that easily at TDs or another boss.

I've already spoken to you on a number of occasions now, telling you to go do your research before you keep on posting DPS information.

Because you're wrong, a lot of time time, by a huge margin, for reasons that I cannot attribute to simple typos into a calculator because you rare explain your calculations.

Normally I wouldn't care if a DPS person didn't give calculations or not.

Like in this case, I'd brush this off as "oh, whoever did this is probably just using experimental data instead of looking at a max hit calculator"

But you get the calculations wrong so often that at this point, that I pretty much have to assume you messed up a calculation somewhere.

It's been several months since this started. At first I was nice and I gave you links to places to read up on.

But you told me that you were lazy and you were just gonna "extrapolate" from tip.it's calculator without understanding how DPS actually works.

But, laziness is not a good excuse to give false information to other people asking for help.

I also did the same calcs for a week ago, and i got a breakoff income of 1.3 mil gp/hour.

Seriously, get your act together.

Naaxi.png

breakoff income is 1.84 mil gp/hour to use red chins vs grey chins at current GE mid price. assuming a constant flow of monsters.

If the monster respawn rate is slow, and you're killing them too fast with red chins that they can't respawn fast enough to keep up, then the breakoff income could be lower.

Because monster respawn rate + kill rate will inhibit how many targets you will be hitting per red chin moreso than it would affect grey chin.

[spoiler="Calculations]after range gear lets say you have 165 ranged attack bonus with grey chins

and 190 with red chins.

after you add the 64 invisible equipment bonus, you get up to 10% increase in accuracy.

lets say you're 75% accurate on your target, that means accuracy would attribute a ~2.5% increase in dps.

so lets juts say that, 2-3% contribution due to accuracy. being 1% off here won't really matter.

Both weapons are the same attack speed, in contradiction to what is stated on rs wiki.

once again 15 ranged strength and 0 ranged strength, after 64 invisible equipment bonus is a 23.4% bonus to dps.

So 1.234 x 1.025 = 1.265x increase

assuming GE mid price, which is rising but we'll account for that later:

it costs 273 per grey chin, 546k per hour.

you only need to throw 2000/1.265 = 1580 red chins to get the same amount of range xp as 1 hour of grey chins

that's 933k gp in red chins, to save you 0.2 hours

Price delta of 387k, translating to a breakoff income of about 1.85 mil gp/hour.

I've already spoken to you on a number of occasions now, telling you to go do your research before you keep on posting DPS information.

Because you're wrong, a lot of time time, by a huge margin, for reasons that I cannot attribute to simple typos into a calculator because you rare explain your calculations.

Normally I wouldn't care if a DPS person didn't give calculations or not.

Like in this case, I'd brush this off as "oh, whoever did this is probably just using experimental data instead of looking at a max hit calculator"

But you get the calculations wrong so often that at this point, that I pretty much have to assume you messed up a calculation somewhere.

It's been several months since this started. At first I was nice and I gave you links to places to read up on.

But you told me that you were lazy and you were just gonna "extrapolate" from tip.it's calculator without understanding how DPS actually works.

But, laziness is not a good excuse to give false information to other people asking for help.

I also did the same calcs for a week ago, and i got a breakoff income of 1.3 mil gp/hour.

Seriously, get your act together.

Oh my bad. I actually assumed you used 1500 chins an hour because i'm dumb and thought that was the rapid speed for both. Which just makes me even more wrong. Oh dear. :P

(Warning, i clearly suck at calculations so this is probably wrong.)

I got my calculation from pretty much other peoples guesswork, reds being 256xp a shot, greys being 191xp a shot. (Average from training 80-99)

Reds were 465gp each, greys were 228gp each.

512k xp vs 382k xp

930k gp vs 456k gp

130xp for 474gp (amount of extra xp an hour, and the extra cost)

11m/512k = 21.4 hours (total xp from 80-99 divided by xp/h of reds)

11m/382k = 28.8 hours (total xp from 80-99 divided by xp/h of greys)

7.4 * 474kgp = 3.5m (Time saved and the extra cost of it)

So you save 3.5m for 7.4 hours, ending up needing 474k/hour to make the excess money back. That's just pure and simple. You spend 3.5m and save 7.4 hours.

For it to be better efficiency in the way i'm assuming you calculated it (382/130)*474 you'd need to make 1.4m/hour, but i really don't understand whats wrong with the above and would really appreciate it if you or someone else could explain why 474k/hour is wrong in this example.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Oh my bad. I actually assumed you used 1500 chins an hour because i'm dumb and thought that was the rapid speed for both. Which just makes me even more wrong. Oh dear. :P

(Warning, i clearly suck at calculations so this is probably wrong.)

I got my calculation from pretty much other peoples guesswork, reds being 256xp a shot, greys being 191xp a shot. (Average from training 80-99)

Reds were 465gp each, greys were 228gp each.

512k xp vs 382k xp

930k gp vs 456k gp

130xp for 474gp (amount of extra xp an hour, and the extra cost)

11m/512k = 21.4 hours (total xp from 80-99 divided by xp/h of reds)

11m/382k = 28.8 hours (total xp from 80-99 divided by xp/h of greys)

So you save 3.5m for 7.4 hours, ending up needing 474k/hour to make the excess money back. That's just pure and simple. You spend 3.5m and save 7.4 hours.

For it to be better efficiency in the way i'm assuming you calculated it (382/130)*474 you'd need to make 1.4m/hour, but i really don't understand whats wrong with the above and would really appreciate it if you or someone else could explain why 474k/hour is wrong in this example.

This is not the correct way of calculating total change in money.

21.4 hours * 2000 chins * 465gp per red chin = 20 mil

28.8 hours * 2000 chins * 228 gp per grey chin = 13 mil

so the change i money is 7 mil, not 3.5 mil.

and that would mean your breakoff income would be double at about 1 mil gp/hour.

Naaxi.png