value of time?

enfield

I just realized that I value my time spent doing different things very differently. Like 2 minutes at glacors might be equal to 4 minutes of slayer!

And my whole rs world just collapsed into a million different scattered, discrete time values, and I'm so confused.

How to do I rebuild from the chaos???

(has anyone else ever had to cope with this kind of revelation?)

When calculating your value of time for something like an expensive vs cheap method, you use whatever you do for making the money back. So if you were seeing is red chins are worth using over grey chins, you'd value glacors as thats your main money maker, and see if it covers the difference.

You could value slayer in this, but you're also getting slayer xp which you value, so it may or may not be worth it, even if the coins gained/lossed is worse.

Sorry for the confusing reply to a confusing post.

CNqWHdA.jpg

thanks for the replies :).

hmm my post was confusing. What i meant to say was that for two things that give the same gp/h in game, I might value the time of the first way A differently than the time of the second way B (like if one is more afkable, as happyseeker wisely said).

Anyway, I think maybe the computational complexity gets either too complex or subjective to be worth figuring out, so I might better off just to forget it all and do whatever random things my heart desires. But I really don't play rs anymore, so this question is 90% hypothetical and 72% exaggerated.

I just realized that I value my time spent doing different things very differently. Like 2 minutes at glacors might be equal to 4 minutes of slayer!

And my whole rs world just collapsed into a million different scattered, discrete time values, and I'm so confused.

How to do I rebuild from the chaos???

(has anyone else ever had to cope with this kind of revelation?)

Sounds like you need a few weeks/months break from RS. trust me, I know.

Mari0.png

Mari0.png

has anyone ever deluded themselves into thinking that green is maybe just so meta (like whole meta levels above us all) that she concluded that doing whatever random things her heart desires is best, and not just for her, but for many people who just don't know it?? I think I just did . :ohnoes:.

on topic: I just need to know how to piece back my shattered reality (like which time-value piece do I put in the 574 spot which is the slayer task of hellhounds with a zaryte bow and regular range potions??), but like i said, this is all pretty hypothetical (read: pointless).

Well, efficiency is quite simple.

You have a goal (e.g. max out).

You have various way to attain it (e.g. kill glacors for effigies, kill cave crawlers for effigies).

Now you calculate which one would get you there faster. If you have 500m cash it's probably faster to do crawlers. If you have no cash, it's faster to do glacors and spend the profits on crawlers.

You might make your goal more elaborate, for example: "I want to get a completionist cape, have over 200m bank value after buying my comp cape, have all trimmed completionist cape requirements that take less than five hours of extra time and have fun at least 90% of the time."

Again, you have various ways to attain this.

If you talk about valuing your time, the narrow sense is the highest pure gp/hr you can make (e.g. 20m/hr hosting dice or something).

Most monster hunting moneymakers (just not DKs) drop effigies as well. You could say that an effigy is worth 1.5 hours of skilling, and that each moneymaker that gives you 2/3rds or more of an effigy per hour is effectively infinite gp/hr. But what you should really look at is: you can make 20m/hr hosting dice, that means you save 7 minutes of moneymaking at glacors. If you get effigies every 1.5 hours of killing, you spend only 83 minutes getting that effigy (and 7 minutes getting gp).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You could say that an effigy is worth 1.5 hours of skilling, and that each moneymaker that gives you 2/3rds or more of an effigy per hour is effectively infinite gp/hr. But what you should really look at is: you can make 20m/hr hosting dice, that means you save 7 minutes of moneymaking at glacors. If you get effigies every 1.5 hours of killing, you spend only 83 minutes getting that effigy (and 7 minutes getting gp).

wow, this is some interesting insight. looking at it this way, effigy collecting nearly replaces any form of money making (well, only if your goal is maxing out, and doesn't involve having surplus money). but i guess that was kind of obvious. but the glacor calculations surprised me nonetheless.

yeah, i'm just sort of critical of the narrow sense in which value is often defined, because i don't think a lot of people see its narrowness.

It's narrow because it's useful to everyone. To adapt it to your preferences, simply make the necessary alterations. There's no need to set down a whole load of complicated subjective conditions that other people have to work with in order to produce an answer.

omg, we get to have a discussion again :mrgreen: :

the exact thing I would detest is your statement that it is useful to everyone. I see it imposed on people for who it is not very useful, and I see those people criticized for not having the same value system, which is what I don't really like. personally, it doesn't bother me that it doesn't reflect my own value system. I hardly have one, as I've expressed in this thread.

Here's my tip for valuing your time.

Don't get hung up on the income you actually make. You can pull a number out of the air that feels right, and use that for calculations instead. This is a good way to adjust for fun and stuff, and it has good synergy with moneymakers that you can't do constantly, like herb runs, Miscellania, daily battlestaves, etc.

For example, let's say you want to train fletching. However, you don't think fletching xp is very important. "It's not like it unlocks anything awesome or whatever. Meh." So you're not willing to spend much money on it. Your normal income is 1.5m gp/hr, and when you plug that into the spreadsheet, it recommends a training method that's super-fast but costs like 10 gp/xp. "Screw that," you say, "I'm not spending that much on a lame skill like fletching. I like training fletching, anyway. It's easy to do while I'm standing around or whatever. There's no rush." So instead, you re-do the calculations and plug in a lower gp/hr number.

On the opposite end, let's say you want to train smithing. You really want to unlock that Ardougne Elite Cape, so you've gotta get your smithing up. You plug in your 1.5m gp/hr to the spreadsheet and it spits out a method. You buy some supplies and start training, but after about 15 minutes, you get bored. "This is booooring. Can't I spend more money to get this over with sooner?" Re-do the calculations and plug in a higher gp/hr.