It's not a "free" MMORPG anymore.

Youmu

If there wasn't a f2p or f2p community, runescape probably would have died like 8 years ago.

If F2P hadn't existed in the first place and Jagex had done a 'trial' period for new players instead, RS would probably have been better off, at least then there wouldn't have been all these unreasonable demands and the expectations would have been clear. I cannot see how your point is valid in any way.

There's a reason why runescape has been so successful. 1. Because it's a browser game and 2. Because there's a free to play version. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer that plays enough to justify their spending.

With all the free games you can torrent/ download these days, it'd be difficult to convince a person to play runescape without an f2p.

Besides, if you get rid of the f2p community, you'd get rid of a large portion of runescape's players. Nobody wants to play an MMORPG with a small community.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a f2p community was valuable in the early stages of the game. It's impossible to know. But currently, Jagex is paying God knows how much for f2p servers and only receiving a small portion of that back in advertisement. If I were f2p, I wouldn't be asking for any favors.

They could just remove more f2p servers if they wanted to ;) it's not like most of the hardcore f2pers use anything other than world 61, anyway. & besides most worlds are like what, 200 players online at once?

I'm fine if they remove free worlds with no themes on them. Why they removed the 1000+ skill total world, the Fist of Guthix world, and the Clan Wars world is beyond me.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

They were sacrificed to their corporate god: The Almighty Dol-Ar.

As I said in the other thread, this has to be something that they're seriously considering. Since the bot nuke, the numbers in F2P worlds are somewhere around 1/3 of what they used to be. Most of the worlds used to have 1000+ people, now it's less than 300. Even w1 is never full anymore.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

They could just remove more f2p servers if they wanted to ;) it's not like most of the hardcore f2pers use anything other than world 61, anyway. & besides most worlds are like what, 200 players online at once?

I'm fine if they remove free worlds with no themes on them. Why they removed the 1000+ skill total world, the Fist of Guthix world, and the Clan Wars world is beyond me.

The problem isn't that they removed themed worlds (maybe those where expensive/old servers), the problem is that they didn't assign new worlds that theme.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

To be honest; although I'm free to play and am currently too busy to be otherwise; the amount of content available to F2P is quite a bit. It's more than you would get in any retail game demos. And that's kind of what F2P is; a timelimitless demo. With all the content (Skills to train, Minigames to play etc.) there is a lot to do which F2P players should consider themselves lucky to be able to do.

Not giving Free to Play new content; I'm mostly fine with, but the removal of Free to Play Hiscores was annoying. Although it may have been to remove inactive accounts off the hiscores to make way for current players.

• 3 weeks later...

Up until now, I've always been the kind who just takes what we get in a free game. However, that attitude has changed.

It just seems like, the more Runescape progresses, the more Jagex tries to shut down their free-to-play fanbase, in any way possible.

First was the dg xp cap. Makes no sense, you could still do it 2cb3sk and still get similar times. Useless.

Next were those capes. They were PROMISED to be for everyone, but Jagex pulled off a "lolno" and made them all members only.

Similar things happened to Master Runecrafter Robes.

Fast forward to today (because my memory is just that tiny), where we just had the bot nuke. Jagex promised events for everyone but again, they pulled off a "lolno" and every single bonus event thus far is members. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I'm happy with all the bots removed.

Then Jagex proceeds to eliminate the f2p hiscores altogether.

My final straw has been blown.

Runescape is not "free" anymore. If you're playing it for "free" you really should play a different free game, like League of Legends (which, by the way, is MUCH better than even p2p Runescape).

Please, do yourselves a favor and quit this goddamned game. It's being run by moneyhungry dictators.

My friend, you have spoken words truer than what my mind brings me.

Except I just think MMG has destroyed this game ever since they hired the idiot.

553VriC.png?1

[hide]

Up until now, I've always been the kind who just takes what we get in a free game. However, that attitude has changed.

It just seems like, the more Runescape progresses, the more Jagex tries to shut down their free-to-play fanbase, in any way possible.

First was the dg xp cap. Makes no sense, you could still do it 2cb3sk and still get similar times. Useless.

Next were those capes. They were PROMISED to be for everyone, but Jagex pulled off a "lolno" and made them all members only.

Similar things happened to Master Runecrafter Robes.

Fast forward to today (because my memory is just that tiny), where we just had the bot nuke. Jagex promised events for everyone but again, they pulled off a "lolno" and every single bonus event thus far is members. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I'm happy with all the bots removed.

Then Jagex proceeds to eliminate the f2p hiscores altogether.

My final straw has been blown.

Runescape is not "free" anymore. If you're playing it for "free" you really should play a different free game, like League of Legends (which, by the way, is MUCH better than even p2p Runescape).

Please, do yourselves a favor and quit this goddamned game. It's being run by moneyhungry dictators.

[/hide]

My friend, you have spoken words truer than what my mind brings me.

Except I just think MMG has destroyed this game ever since they hired the idiot.

To be quite honest I don't see the logic in this. Sure, I understand that you dislike the hiscores being P2p only, and frankly I don't see why Jagex did that, but it shouldn't affect game-play as such.

Having been F2p for years I don't see how it became worse than it was. F2p gets updates, graphics look a lot better and whatnot, dungeoneering (though limited), etc. The only issue I appear to read here - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is that some F2p players appear to be displeased for not being given certain things that were given to P2p.

It still is a free to play game as you can still create an account and play an unlimited amount of time without paying for it. I do not see how the game that was free to play in 2004, is not still free now. If anything, there is more F2p content than compared to then, so what exactly is the logic behind that statement?

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]