Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's not a "free" MMORPG anymore.

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
Yeah I guess you guys are right, everyone has a right to their own opinions so I'll just let you guys all flame me whatever the hell you want.

Worth pointing out that Runescape was the only game I played for a few years, until I found the existence of LoL.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:mtomali

Yeah I guess you guys are right, everyone has a right to their own opinions so I'll just let you guys all flame me whatever the hell you want.

Tbh I preferred it if Runescape didn't have a free version... looking back I don't even know how Runescape came to be so popular in the first place.

I regret playing this game. Doesn't mean it's all bad though.

When you trash the game on a fan site, expect some heated opposition.
Posted Image

Posted Image

pulli23
[ Display Name History ]

pulli23

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
BTW: Should I just add that I've "left" runescape many times before.. I've not played runescape since octobre till now (starting to play again), as I was busy playing another game - LOL :P. However I grew fed with the decisions of riot/and the community (the creators of LOL), so I returned to runescape.

Point I want to make: No game will be perfect, and especially in MMOs you'll always get more and more annoyed. Just leave, be happy, do something else, and maybe return (or not).

First they came to fishing
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews
and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores
and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Huzzah
[ Display Name History ]

Huzzah

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • RSN:Huzzah
  • RSN2:G o d
  • Clan:K.o.A.
Sonniku, If the other game is so awesome then why not play it instead of spending more rs related time bashing it on fan sites?

Move on buddy, move on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bxpprod
[ Display Name History ]

Bxpprod

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Bxpprod
Whilst I appreciate the heated nature of the discussion - and I think that if you're going to come here to rave about how terrible RS is and trumpet other games, you should expect some opposition - is it really necessary to get into personal attacks? I mean, the points may not resonate with you personally, but that is not a green light to rip into a person rather than their opinions.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

mr_mystery84
[ Display Name History ]

mr_mystery84

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • RSN:mr_mystery84
I have read similar posts to this on other forums and I fear that it is an opinion that is being vented more and more.

However as a P2P member I enjoy all the benefits that RS has to offer. For me I sell a few pieces of old crap on Ebay and use the money to pay for a few more months of Runescape via paypal. I know that not everyone has this option going on but I find it ok.

I do recognise though that Jagex are making far too many features 'members only' and fear that the F2P aspect is going out of the game.

Huzzah
[ Display Name History ]

Huzzah

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • RSN:Huzzah
  • RSN2:G o d
  • Clan:K.o.A.
F2P has 100s of hours of entertainment for free, its still a free game.

If you use up all that content and decide you would rather not unlock future content, that is your choice. Jagex doesn't owe it to you free updates. They're a company. It also shows how good of a game that they produce that so many people still include time in their day to rant on about how another game is so much better. If I found a game I enjoyed more, I wouldn't return.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

I do recognise though that Jagex are making far too many features 'members only' and fear that the F2P aspect is going out of the game.

Name them.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
I just think it's a bit egotistical that people who essentially leech of off Jagex think they deserve updates.

dire1
[ Display Name History ]

dire1

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • RSN:foodmonkey
If there wasn't a f2p or f2p community, runescape probably would have died like 8 years ago.

Erewhon2
[ Display Name History ]

Erewhon2

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • RSN:Aquillegia

If there wasn't a f2p or f2p community, runescape probably would have died like 8 years ago.

If F2P hadn't existed in the first place and Jagex had done a 'trial' period for new players instead, RS would probably have been better off, at least then there wouldn't have been all these unreasonable demands and the expectations would have been clear. I cannot see how your point is valid in any way.
Posted Image

dire1
[ Display Name History ]

dire1

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • RSN:foodmonkey

If F2P hadn't existed in the first place and Jagex had done a 'trial' period for new players instead, RS would probably have been better off, at least then there wouldn't have been all these unreasonable demands and the expectations would have been clear. I cannot see how your point is valid in any way.

There's a reason why runescape has been so successful. 1. Because it's a browser game and 2. Because there's a free to play version. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer that plays enough to justify their spending.
With all the free games you can torrent/ download these days, it'd be difficult to convince a person to play runescape without an f2p.
Besides, if you get rid of the f2p community, you'd get rid of a large portion of runescape's players. Nobody wants to play an MMORPG with a small community.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
Maybe a f2p community was valuable in the early stages of the game. It's impossible to know. But currently, Jagex is paying God knows how much for f2p servers and only receiving a small portion of that back in advertisement. If I were f2p, I wouldn't be asking for any favors.

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
They could just remove more f2p servers if they wanted to ;) it's not like most of the hardcore f2pers use anything other than world 61, anyway. & besides most worlds are like what, 200 players online at once?

I'm fine if they remove free worlds with no themes on them. Why they removed the 1000+ skill total world, the Fist of Guthix world, and the Clan Wars world is beyond me.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
They were sacrificed to their corporate god: The Almighty Dol-Ar.

As I said in the other thread, this has to be something that they're seriously considering. Since the bot nuke, the numbers in F2P worlds are somewhere around 1/3 of what they used to be. Most of the worlds used to have 1000+ people, now it's less than 300. Even w1 is never full anymore.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

They could just remove more f2p servers if they wanted to ;) it's not like most of the hardcore f2pers use anything other than world 61, anyway. & besides most worlds are like what, 200 players online at once?

I'm fine if they remove free worlds with no themes on them. Why they removed the 1000+ skill total world, the Fist of Guthix world, and the Clan Wars world is beyond me.

The problem isn't that they removed themed worlds (maybe those where expensive/old servers), the problem is that they didn't assign new worlds that theme.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Agent_2_345
[ Display Name History ]

Agent_2_345

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Agent 2 345
To be honest; although I'm free to play and am currently too busy to be otherwise; the amount of content available to F2P is quite a bit. It's more than you would get in any retail game demos. And that's kind of what F2P is; a timelimitless demo. With all the content (Skills to train, Minigames to play etc.) there is a lot to do which F2P players should consider themselves lucky to be able to do.

Not giving Free to Play new content; I'm mostly fine with, but the removal of Free to Play Hiscores was annoying. Although it may have been to remove inactive accounts off the hiscores to make way for current players.

Ren
[ Display Name History ]

Ren

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • RSN:Trollenstein
  • RSN2:Grave Sorrow
  • Clan:DGS

Up until now, I've always been the kind who just takes what we get in a free game. However, that attitude has changed.

It just seems like, the more Runescape progresses, the more Jagex tries to shut down their free-to-play fanbase, in any way possible.

First was the dg xp cap. Makes no sense, you could still do it 2cb3sk and still get similar times. Useless.

Next were those capes. They were PROMISED to be for everyone, but Jagex pulled off a "lolno" and made them all members only.

Similar things happened to Master Runecrafter Robes.

Fast forward to today (because my memory is just that tiny), where we just had the bot nuke. Jagex promised events for everyone but again, they pulled off a "lolno" and every single bonus event thus far is members. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I'm happy with all the bots removed.

Then Jagex proceeds to eliminate the f2p hiscores altogether.

My final straw has been blown.

Runescape is not "free" anymore. If you're playing it for "free" you really should play a different free game, like League of Legends (which, by the way, is MUCH better than even p2p Runescape).

Please, do yourselves a favor and quit this goddamned game. It's being run by moneyhungry dictators.

My friend, you have spoken words truer than what my mind brings me.

Except I just think MMG has destroyed this game ever since they hired the idiot.

553VriC.png?1

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts
  • RSN:Ms Julie

My friend, you have spoken words truer than what my mind brings me.

Except I just think MMG has destroyed this game ever since they hired the idiot.

To be quite honest I don't see the logic in this. Sure, I understand that you dislike the hiscores being P2p only, and frankly I don't see why Jagex did that, but it shouldn't affect game-play as such.

Having been F2p for years I don't see how it became worse than it was. F2p gets updates, graphics look a lot better and whatnot, dungeoneering (though limited), etc. The only issue I appear to read here - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is that some F2p players appear to be displeased for not being given certain things that were given to P2p.

It still is a free to play game as you can still create an account and play an unlimited amount of time without paying for it. I do not see how the game that was free to play in 2004, is not still free now. If anything, there is more F2p content than compared to then, so what exactly is the logic behind that statement?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Tip.It Website Crew Leader
Quotes

the-whisky-bar
[ Display Name History ]

the-whisky-bar

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • RSN:Disco_Shazam
f2p three years ago was better than f2p is now. ouch.
{tumblr}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users