It's not a "free" MMORPG anymore.

Youmu

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh, I haven't decided yet. With less than a million xp to go until 99 Mining I'll definitely be playing long enough to finish, but after that? Who knows.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

This is why I voted for LoL for the F2P category of the Golden Js. Looking at the strictly 100% free content that you get from the game, it's leagues (pun definitely intended) ahead of RS.

They've made massive updates to the core mechanics of the game all of the new content updates are all eventually achievable through F2P grind. The game is fun and they actually listen to their player base.

People wanted a new game mode, cheaper free currency champs, spectator mode, new masteries, certain themes for champs like a female tank and a water champion, all along few other things and Riot, although at times delaying them by a huge amount of time, have delivered on them.

Jagex has done extremely little for the F2P community in the way of content and support.

I can make a brand new F2P smurf account on LoL every week and still have fun where I can't even bear to play my F2P pker anymore.

tbh, I haven't decided yet. With less than a million xp to go until 99 Mining I'll definitely be playing long enough to finish, but after that? Who knows.

Not quitting until I max out, even if nobody but me can see it. Come too far to quit now.

~I Am A Bahai~

.:100% F2P for life:.

I_Am_A_Bahai.png

I can assure you I will never again work towards experience or rank based goals again.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Not quitting until I max out, even if nobody but me can see it. Come too far to quit now.

Ahem

Just something to consider

Really, how much do you pay to play in f2p?

It sucks that they are taking the highscores from f2p, and the other things they have lied about, but that makes it not free?

Well, it hits two groups the hardest. There's the people like Water, Syzygy, etc., who are the top F2P players. Losing all their ranks is a pretty shitty feeling.

Then there's the people who got 200m skills in the past who decide to drop their membership because they don't play anymore. They lose that once-permanent rank. If the number one ranked player in a skill becomes F2P for a day, they get put at the bottom of the 200m list when they renew.

Ahem

Just something to consider

But this article assumes that the target believes in averting loss. The thing is that I don't avert it; I accept it as inevitable, and will embrace it when that time comes. I'm not that attached to this game. I only play it when I'm not working on coursework, and once all that's over I'll be actively searching for a job. Runescape, if it's still around by then, will just fill the small gaps in between. When it dies, it dies. I will then look upon that time in my life and think of it as one where I had fun playing the game and interacting with members of its community, even if all that is gone now. The only reason I don't play games besides Runescape is because I don't like any other games. It's kept me entertained enough since 2004, and that was the last time I ever bought a handheld or console (and games for either).

Life is a lot easier when you understand and accept the impermanence of all things. I just take things as they come, and smile fondly while thinking of them when they're no longer here.

~I Am A Bahai~

I_Am_A_Bahai.png

Wow is all I really have to say. For getting years of FREE entertainment, you sure don't seem appreaciative. Heck, You don't even care enough to help the game you've been playing advance. You would rather sit back and wait for handouts. This is the fan base Jagex should cater to and continue to support even when they don't get any support in return? Get over it, Jagex is a business and businesses like to make money. F2P I say isn't a demo because the fact you can enjoy the content for an unlimited amount of time. Also you can advance about 1/2 the skills all the way to the max level. When I think demo I think of like a level 30 skill limit or 30 hour play limit. That would be a demo. If you want more content then by all means, go without a subway sub or that 6 pack and grab a month of membership, It'll save you money too. :)

The only downside I see is for the players who went above and beyond and got 200k exp in a skill. It would have been nice if they were allowed to keep their rank somehow, even if in just that skill however as a whole I don't see it as being too negative.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

I'm sorry but I have no idea what does League of Legends have to do with RuneScape? Besides being completely free to play? The game is totally different, and people who spend time playing that and RuneScape both, wouldn't spend the same time playing only League of Legends. I'm just saying.

Besides, why are everyone so eager to hold onto their pennies, when the game really doesn't cost that much? Pack of cigarettes (or couple packs of chips or candies for the younger ones) less per month and you got the money you need.

It's even buyable as a card from malls, so the excuse of "not being able to buy" doesn't really hold much weight. Unless it's not where you live in, and seriously have no way of getting membership. Then I feel a bit bad for you. Otherwise - not sorry really. :-|

EDIT: Huzzah pretty much beat me to it. :thumbup:

u5zhkTY.gif

While you do not NEED to pay to play on LoL, paying does help increase the overall enjoyably in the game.

That's strange...

Oh yeah, RS works the same way.

In all fairness, Jagex has royally [bleep]ed F2P in this game. Your point is justified in that this game's true glory isn't in it's free demo opps I mean version.

Your point is justified in that this game's true glory isn't in it's free demo opps I mean version.

Do you know what a game demo is? They normally limit your play time, runescape doesn't do this.

As a person who contributes nothing to the business's economical aspects, I would be happy with what I'm handed. You F2Pers make it sound like $5 for a month of endless entertainment is a lot to ask for.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

As a person who contributes nothing to the business's economical aspects, I would be happy with what I'm handed.

Except this isn't about what we're being handed, it's about what we've always gotten suddenly being taken away.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

True although things change. Recently Jagex did a great thing of banning the bots. This greatly reduced the player number as many players/botters quit. Rather then have tons of inactive (And possibly botted) accounts clogging the high scores Jagex felt the need to make this change. It doesn't bother me either way to be honest and I don't see why its such a big issue for a loyal player who has been getting free entertainment for years to pay $5 a month for extra content and features. I mean the majority ranting are rather high skilled so you know what the game is about and must enjoy it or else you wouldn't currently be playing. Can any of you give an actual legit reason why you wouldn't pay other then simply not feeling like it? Cause the first poster just seems like a huge raging troll to be honest.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

Can any of you give an actual legit reason why you wouldn't pay other then simply not feeling like it?

I don't know what you'd consider an "actual" or "legit" reason, but I can give my own.

I always considered playing Runescape as a non-member something akin to playing a game on hard mode: there's less things to do and less ways (but innovative ones) to do them. I see it as a kind of challenge. I'm not the only one—there's a whole pure F2P community composed of people who can pay for membership, but choose not to because of the vibrant community in which an active, constructive non-member can participate. The unique aspects of remaining pure F2P bind us together as a community—people make guides, videos, and even clans centered on F2P skilling, because it contains a whole different set of methods than the ones members use to level up. Thus, a community is born.

In their most recent FAQ on this subject (16-17-732-63382107), Jagex pretends that such a community doesn't exist; that non-members should be categorically branded as bots. But that's not true. We do exist, and they're forcing us to dispense with what WE like about the game for their utilitarian process of assimilation. At the very least, they could have opened up the coding data to us so that we could create our own hiscore system. That way, the pure F2P community would at least have a ghost of a chance at survival. But they're even denying us that.

I'm not even going to call it indefensible—it's just sad.

~I Am A Bahai~

I_Am_A_Bahai.png

But you must understand that Jagex is a business. They have payout and other things to deal with and since bots got removed, I will agree that it probally did hit Jagex right in the wallet. Did it help them or the player more? I think the questions answer should be loud and clear to everyone. To be honest F2P runescape is lucky in the sense that the free game while about 1/2 the content or so of P2P you can play to your hearts content. Theres no limits that end your gameplay at 30 or 50 skill level or a 30 day trial. The fact that so very many of you achieved such high rankings/levels expresses the fact that its a solid playable free mmorpg. Also I understand your point BUT I must say that I don't understand why you can't be part of the F2P community and support a game you clearly enjoy because without support the game wouldn't be around. Those ads you see probally doesn't help Jagex nearly as much as you think it would. Nobody forces you to take part in member skills or such unless you want to.

Give a little back for all the weeks/years of entertainment you've enjoyed.

Are you aware that this is likely to break the F2P community? It will no longer be competitive and fun.

We believe in one overall RuneScape community and it is its integrity that we are concerned about. We we are convinced that it is the right decision for the overall community to limit hi-score rankings for the people who actually compete and not ones who are dormant or botted.

What if a F2P player – that has never been member before - with 200M XP in a skill decides to become a member AFTER the update. Will he/she still have the rank for that 200M stat or will he/she be placed at the end of the line because he wasn't a member at the time of the update?

The current plan is that we will preserve their order, so no maxed out player should ever lose their position.

ADD ON: Btw I read through the post after you pointed it out and I really agree with the first point. I don't get seperating yourself could just be me but If you want a challange why not DIY? I had to post the second part because of all the raging Ive seen on forums about it. Jagex has it covered.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

The only downside I see is for the players who went above and beyond and got 200k exp in a skill.

Wat.

You should check the highscores of pretty much any F2Per on this forum.

Also consider that some players have both F2P and P2P accounts, they're doing their "fair share" of supporting this game.

I can understand Jagex wanting to cut out the F2P highscores as it might be eating at their bandwidth due to all the dynamic stat signatures, but the reasoning they're giving behind it is frankly terrible, also with their constant equations of non-members = dormant or botted.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Jagex never stated the fact that no F2P community was possible. They simply stated that it was mostly bots (true) and there is a massive amount of inactive accounts on the high scores (Also true). For those F2Pers that went above and beyond Jagex recognizes it F2P or not atleast at this point (And I hope they do) they plan to keep ranks ^.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

Well, they get to keep their ranks (that is, they are allowed to be re-inserted into the highscores only if they start paying).

Also, since their main goal is a highscores without botted or dormant account, all they need to do is (1) ban all the botted accounts (should be easy since they claim that they're banning thousands of them per minute) and (2) introduce an activity check for the highscores. So I really don't see what the problem is if both of these are "easily" implemented, given what they've told us previously.

It's fine if they want to axe the F2P highscores, but it just stabs them hard right after they make good progress, which seems to happen very often now at Jagex Ltd.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Give a little back for all the weeks/years of entertainment you've enjoyed.

Okay, you make a fair point—we should express our gratitude as free players somehow. I'll tell you what: I'll send some money to Jagex to show my appreciation. Hell, if I sent them a check for $800, that would be more money than they'd get from someone who's been a member for 10 years. That way, in a perfect world, I could prove myself as a grateful player who just wants to maintain his present situation. But then, I've already understood that this can't be the case. I'll just continue to go with the flow, like we've always had to do.

~I Am A Bahai~

I_Am_A_Bahai.png

Yet again, how does this make F2p "not free" anymore? Even if they do remove the hiscores, you can still play it for free as much as you simply dare. I don't think it being that unfair, that only the paying customers get to rank between each other. Only problem I see is that once someone has been member atleast once, he should stay on the list forever. So the people who got those 200m skills will stay on their ranks even if they stop paying for their membership. And all others too who have been members at some point of their career.

In my own opinion I wouldn't give a rats [bleep] about whether my hiscores stay there or not if I quit playing. Especially if they get right back there on the list if I log in on my account, or subscribe.

u5zhkTY.gif

I'm also an F2P player and agree with everything said below. I want to add that for many of us, maybe even most of us F2P players, that saving the $5 a month is trivial compared to getting a game that is more challenging even if somewhat more limited. Members get far more skills to train, more quests, more mini-games, more ways to train the F2P skills that exist, and nearly double the size playing map for their $5/month. They also do not have to look at the ads that F2P players suffer thru. But the challenge of getting 90+ skills in an F2P environment is what makes these limitations worth enduring. $5 / month is such a small amount that saving it is almost meaningless. It would also surprise me if the $5 / month made much difference to gold farmers and other parasites who sought to make money from Runescape at the expense of playability. If Jagex's bot removal is dependent on the bots all being F2P I'd expect to see bots back pretty soon as members.

I don't know why Jagex couldn't just make hi scores restricted to those who've logged in within the past 30, 60, 90 (or u pick a number) days.

Can any of you give an actual legit reason why you wouldn't pay other then simply not feeling like it?

I don't know what you'd consider an "actual" or "legit" reason, but I can give my own.

I always considered playing Runescape as a non-member something akin to playing a game on hard mode: there's less things to do and less ways (but innovative ones) to do them. I see it as a kind of challenge. I'm not the only onethere's a whole pure F2P community composed of people who can pay for membership, but choose not to because of the vibrant community in which an active, constructive non-member can participate. The unique aspects of remaining pure F2P bind us together as a communitypeople make guides, videos, and even clans centered on F2P skilling, because it contains a whole different set of methods than the ones members use to level up. Thus, a community is born.

In their most recent FAQ on this subject (16-17-732-63382107), Jagex pretends that such a community doesn't exist; that non-members should be categorically branded as bots. But that's not true. We do exist, and they're forcing us to dispense with what WE like about the game for their utilitarian process of assimilation. At the very least, they could have opened up the coding data to us so that we could create our own hiscore system. That way, the pure F2P community would at least have a ghost of a chance at survival. But they're even denying us that.

I'm not even going to call it indefensibleit's just sad.

Yet again, how does this make F2p "not free" anymore? Even if they do remove the hiscores, you can still play it for free as much as you simply dare. I don't think it being that unfair, that only the paying customers get to rank between each other. Only problem I see is that once someone has been member atleast once, he should stay on the list forever. So the people who got those 200m skills will stay on their ranks even if they stop paying for their membership. And all others too who have been members at some point of their career.

In my own opinion I wouldn't give a rats [bleep] about whether my hiscores stay there or not if I quit playing. Especially if they get right back there on the list if I log in on my account, or subscribe.

It's unfair in that Jagex is explicitly saying that non-members don't compete for ranks the same way members do (see Water and El Popo1's stats/xp). They're pretending that F2P does not have a community where people have the most xp in a certain skill, where people gauge the amount they earn through sites like Runetracker, etc. In fact, we are just as organized as serious members: we have skilling clans with skilling competitions, we compete for the #1 spot in skills and xp records (within the F2P community), and so on. As I said before, Jagex is shamelessly dismissing all of F2P as bots or inexperienced kids who walk around bewildered in the game, totally oblivious to efficient skilling methods or F2P-focused clans. The thing that gets me is they know that's not true, and they're lying through their teeth. That's why they keep avoiding the question of pure F2Pers who DO know what they're doing and DO participate in the larger pure F2P community: because admitting that such a group of people exists would be inconvenient to their plan.

~I Am A Bahai~

I_Am_A_Bahai.png

Once again, for posters like the above who can't seem to grip facts Jagex never claimed that there was no F2P Community.

They said most were bots (Who can say that wasn't true?) and they are more worried about the game as a whole. If you don't wanna be excepted, maybe don't alienate yourself? Jagex wants RS as a whole not cater to a select few who seperate themselves'. Try diying, It'll be even more of a challange. I can't understand why in any way a business would want to support people who never plan to to help the business advance. Oh and suffer through ads? Grow up, surfing the web must be a painful experience for you. If you don't like the service you're provided feel free to move on. After all, thats what people do. Isn't it?

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

If you don't wanna be excepted, maybe don't alienate yourself?

The F2P methods are the ones I prefer. The F2P community is the one I enjoy being a part of. Everybody has their own preference when it comes to playing a game, and F2P is mine. I can't help that. I'm not going to play a game I don't enjoy (the P2P version)that would defeat the purpose of playing a game to begin with: for enjoyment and entertainment.

Oh and if you don't like the service you're provided feel free to move on. After all, thats what people do. Isn't it?

Too defeatist for my taste. ;) As I said before, I'll continue to play anyway with the hope that this action is amended in some way or totally repealed in the future, just like the decision to remove the wilderness. That being said, I have a right to voice my concerns even though I've decided to continue playingbut I'm done now, since I've said all I have to say.

~I Am A Bahai~

I_Am_A_Bahai.png