It's not a "free" MMORPG anymore.

Youmu

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn`t have time to read it all but for my 2cents worth, has anyone ever noticed those ads on the top when you play f2p? Those are PAID advertisements that Jagex makes money off of... Also you every notice how the ads refresh and change? That makes Jagex even more money!

Seriously why do you guys keep necroing this topic.

I've long since stopped caring for Runescape at all. Whether or not their playerbase is raging all day or they're consistently losing money from their economy strategies, it doesn't matter anymore. Now please let this topic rest in peace, kthx.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Alright I will let this rest in peace and sorry for nercoing but I didn't realise a thread was dead after less then a month from last post in the convo and near top of page...

I'm really doubting, from jagex perspective: does F2P, need, or even be good with highscores?

To answer it first reverse the situation: "what if runescape did never have highscores for f2p, would it be good to add it?" From Jagex standpoint F2P will always be their "marketing tool": they wish to gain more members by having f2p join up. This can either be achieved by having more F2P join the game monthly, or having a higher percentage of newcomers gain membership. People who always stay F2P will for jagex never be truly beneficial. They don't dislike them -they give the f2p game more depth- but they also have little incentive to cater the game around them.

Now once you realize this look again at the update. Jagex really likes F2P, as long as a good percentage gets P2P eventually (or quits). Now what about the highscores? If a completely new person comes to runescape, is the first thing he looks at the highscores? - Is that the very first thing he minds about? I doubt it, I think he first wants to understand the controls, how the world works.. Some quests & doing some random skilling. Only then he starts to look for highscores. And now comes jagex again: they like to improve the percentage of people to get P2P, and not lower the amount of newcomers to F2P.

Was this a bad move?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Amg how did I miss this awesome thread.

It is shameful for jagex to still call themselves a free mmo when so many other offer so much more.

Even before those games, rs was a second rate games in the eyes of many. With recent events, rs has become a junk level game for free players and a third rate game for p2p. With the amount of money you give to jagex in these last few years, you can buy yourself some quite nice games from steam - and you will own those forever. Unlike rs, where you don't exist on hiscores as soon as you stop paying.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

You should be grateful that there's even a free version.

Tbh I preferred it if Runescape didn't have a free version... looking back I don't even know how Runescape came to be so popular in the first place.

I regret playing this game. Doesn't mean it's all bad though.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Tbh I preferred it if Runescape didn't have a free version... looking back I don't even know how Runescape came to be so popular in the first place.

How much better would your life had been if you never played rs? Chances, not much. You'd probably have ended up playing another game, anyway.

Guest jrhairychest

Simple. You enjoyed the game because at one time you treated it like a game.

Now, you've let your anti-Jagex "principles" cloud your enjoyment. It's pointless looking back over the past and resenting it because of what you feel at present. You've obviously still got "issues" as you'd have left these forums ages ago and gone onto some other forums posting about your love for whatever game you're playing now. Let it go and move on.

Well look at yourself, I notice that you seem to try and put down every single rant about Runescape sucks and whatnot. I can understand where you're coming from, but honestly sometimes it's just better to let them vent.

Stop assuming this is the only forums I go to for god's sake.

And yeah my life would probably be better if I never played RS and played a different game, given how badly Runescape's reputation is, past and present.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I don't know if my life would have been better if I'd never played RS. The community here at Tip.It is a lot better than most of the other games I've ever played.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Guest jrhairychest

Well look at yourself, I notice that you seem to try and put down every single rant about Runescape sucks and whatnot. I can understand where you're coming from, but honestly sometimes it's just better to let them vent.

And yeah my life would probably be better if I never played RS and played a different game, given how badly Runescape's reputation is, past and present.

If you have the right to slag the game off then I have the equal right to defend it so don't be suprised if there's those in the community who DISAGREE with your comments. This continous ranting serves no purpose. We all get it that you think Jagex sucks from your numerous posts on the same things. I'd say you're more trying to convince yourself on the matter and justify why you hate the company. Perhaps if you post it enough times you'll believe it and everyone else will because you said it many times so it must be true.

If you thought the game was ever really that bad, you'd never have played it in the first place. Lets get real - they made decisions that you didn't like, you're upset. To a point I can understand that. However, to now say that it was all just a waste of time and the game was rubbish anyway is pretty childish. I suppose you're now going to say that you never enjoyed a single second playing it and it was all under duress :roll:. I guess I was right about the F2P culture judging from the venom you spit at the company whose product you played, and still can, for free.

How much better would your life had been if you never played rs? Chances, not much. You'd probably have ended up playing another game, anyway.

Truer words have never been spoken. At least they didn't end up playing WoW, or they'd never be able to quit.

I'd also like to point out that someone named "Sonikku" arguing with someone named "Hedgehog". HEHEH.

If you have the right to slag the game off then I have the equal right to defend it so don't be suprised if there's those in the community who DISAGREE with your comments. This continous ranting serves no purpose. We all get it that you think Jagex sucks from your numerous posts on the same things. I'd say you're more trying to convince yourself on the matter and justify why you hate the company. Perhaps if you post it enough times you'll believe it and everyone else will because you said it many times so it must be true.

If you thought the game was ever really that bad, you'd never have played it in the first place. Lets get real - they made decisions that you didn't like, you're upset. To a point I can understand that. However, to now say that it was all just a waste of time and the game was rubbish anyway is pretty childish. I suppose you're now going to say that you never enjoyed a single second playing it and it was all under duress :roll:. I guess I was right about the F2P culture judging from the venom you spit at the company whose product you played, and still can, for free.

I like these words, they're quite true too. I'm honestly sick of people complaining about Runescape, especially if you don't even pay for it. We have all the right to defend the game that we (and you too at one point) love as much as you have the right to hate on it. But seriously, just quit and stop your ranting. You're only wasting more of your precious time.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Yeah I guess you guys are right, everyone has a right to their own opinions so I'll just let you guys all flame me whatever the hell you want.

Worth pointing out that Runescape was the only game I played for a few years, until I found the existence of LoL.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Yeah I guess you guys are right, everyone has a right to their own opinions so I'll just let you guys all flame me whatever the hell you want.

When you trash the game on a fan site, expect some heated opposition.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

BTW: Should I just add that I've "left" runescape many times before.. I've not played runescape since octobre till now (starting to play again), as I was busy playing another game - LOL :P. However I grew fed with the decisions of riot/and the community (the creators of LOL), so I returned to runescape.

Point I want to make: No game will be perfect, and especially in MMOs you'll always get more and more annoyed. Just leave, be happy, do something else, and maybe return (or not).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Whilst I appreciate the heated nature of the discussion - and I think that if you're going to come here to rave about how terrible RS is and trumpet other games, you should expect some opposition - is it really necessary to get into personal attacks? I mean, the points may not resonate with you personally, but that is not a green light to rip into a person rather than their opinions.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I have read similar posts to this on other forums and I fear that it is an opinion that is being vented more and more.

However as a P2P member I enjoy all the benefits that RS has to offer. For me I sell a few pieces of old crap on Ebay and use the money to pay for a few more months of Runescape via paypal. I know that not everyone has this option going on but I find it ok.

I do recognise though that Jagex are making far too many features 'members only' and fear that the F2P aspect is going out of the game.

F2P has 100s of hours of entertainment for free, its still a free game.

If you use up all that content and decide you would rather not unlock future content, that is your choice. Jagex doesn't owe it to you free updates. They're a company. It also shows how good of a game that they produce that so many people still include time in their day to rant on about how another game is so much better. If I found a game I enjoyed more, I wouldn't return.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

If there wasn't a f2p or f2p community, runescape probably would have died like 8 years ago.

If F2P hadn't existed in the first place and Jagex had done a 'trial' period for new players instead, RS would probably have been better off, at least then there wouldn't have been all these unreasonable demands and the expectations would have been clear. I cannot see how your point is valid in any way.

35cq0q9.png