The Back Room

stevepole

I'm up for cooperating in creating the setting as long as it doesn't go into something ridiculous like grimdark, demonpunk¹ or the industrialization era and it's nothing as plain as the current real world.

¹To make things easier, how about we refer to thematic settings with no set names as -punks, following the suit of steampunk and cyberpunk, with things like worlds where magic is used for everyday things as magicpunk and demonpunk being the use of demons or demonic summons.

I suggest we take the worldbuilding to the Steam group, as I'm certain Archi will be fairly interested in this, and Lei might be as well.

Of course my preference would be using the forum I made, as there we've got all the freedom we need in regards to content and polls and the ability to roll dice in our posts to serve as tiebreakers, but I guess only Lei and Sere would agree with me.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Suggested polls:

Tone

(Grimdark, Standard, Jovial)

Jovial campaigns are those silly ones.

Setting

(Dark Ages, Renaissance, Apocalypse, High Medieval, Tudor)

Although we've had windward - the ocean is massive and there's a whole lot more to explore.

Campaign Focus

(Oceanic, Castle-Management, Underground, Exploration, Wartime, Heroism)

Guns

(none, very rare, emerging, commonplace, everywhere)

http://www.d20pfsrd....C-Firearm-Rules

XP

(slow, standard, quick)

-

I think we should use the called shots variant rule.

As this is pathfinder rather than dungeoneering we don't need to discuss magic which caused a lot of hostility last time and if we can't agree on anything then we should just go with the default setting (Golorian) and be done with it. Spending weeks on weeks worldbuilding means we may not achieve anything which is why a simple poll will achieve far more.

I've been kicked from the steam group by Mather so I won't be using it - if Sere would like to play he can just cast his vote to somebody else and I will add it to the poll.

Would somebody please confirm that I have all the possible options and suggest any new categories before I make the thread.

EDIT: split setting into setting and campaign focus.

qTLQRuS.png

Don't make the thread here. Without Archi's input it's doomed to fail, and so isn't going to happen.

Grim, Retech, Ross are all experienced with Pathfinder. The worldbuilding is literally a tick-box excercise so that we can start, not an epic homebrewing project that needs much work at all. The real work will come from coordinating it.

qTLQRuS.png

They're experienced with it, yes, but even though they have the experience to create a normal game, this is the Tavern we're talking about. The only game that has ever succeeded here without Archi's input was Lei's Dream Ender, and we were three players at most per session.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Sounds fine to me, really. I've never been a real big fan of stuff like Pathfinder, so you'd have to count me out as a GM, but as a Player I'm game for whatever.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Since it's going to be a rotating GM game, the brief outlines of the setting will be helpful in directing the GM's and hopefully making people feel more invested. One of the benefits of one of these games is that you're not simply drawing on a blank canvas, instead the benefit of having multiple users set out a brief outline of the world will ensure a little bit of consistency when we start.

Although I don't have much hopes of people agreeing and being happy with whatever decision is voted so standard fantasy will prevail if there's no real desire for anything specific, as with you two. Remember though, most of these settings will have the same fantasy undertones - as with Windward which was oceanic but had a lot of the undertones of standard fantasy.

qTLQRuS.png

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing too many Roguelikes. Huzzah for Dungeon Crawl.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I'm bloody annoyed with Planetside. The game can't, apparently, run without major lag which means I'm dead weight in a battlefield, which isn't very fun for the game itself.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I'm bloody annoyed with Planetside. The game can't, apparently, run without major lag which means I'm dead weight in a battlefield, which isn't very fun for the game itself.

Too much lag? Be a Medic.

Bad at shooting? Be a Medic.

Terrible strategist? Be a Medic.

Bored of Medic? Be an Engineer.

This message brought to you by Tsun SUE

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

The alg is enough to make medic a difficult proposal, because if you lag too much you can't aim the healgun fast enough to make sure you or your team doesn't die.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone be interested in an online game for the Tavern? S'an MMO with permadeath, called Wizardry online. We can pick classes and specializations if people want to join in.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the name and the link to the site.. S'called Wizardry online. I believe it WAS available off of steam but isn't now for some reason? You can still get it off their site, which I linked.

https://www.wizardrythegame.com

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

This game is fantastic already, and it's only in alpha. I suspect that the creator will be adding multiplayer support some time in the future as there is already a framework for local multiplayer.

The game is revolutionary, it has one of the best and easiest to use editors I've seen in a long time coupled with triggers meaning that there will be loads of fan made maps. It's a parkour brawler with lots of options for different styles of gameplay such as stealth and ranged combat, he is likely not going to add magic but I'm sure that somebody will create a mod for it. He has also recently added armour which is modular.

He has said that there are about one or two years before the game is finalised but at the current rate of progress I think that it's a fairly steep estimate.

http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WroKPEzBg

I don't really want to put any more time into a WoW clone because of how little impact you can actually make on the world and the amount of time it takes to get to a fun level. I want something like H&H, Serephurus linked me to something similar that was in development but it didn't seem anywhere near as good.

Edit: the comparison to pathfinder is fairly redundant since I can't think of a single game more boundless. Despite that, pathfinder is limited to like 6 people and the persistent world 50+ people ones are utter failures, I joined one of them and it was just terrible. Also, there are about 200 different archetypes as well as the 22 classes.

It would never happen, but if somebody were to build a 3D D&D game engine they could copy things from databases like herolabs. It would never work though because of the innate imbalances although it could be fun to have small servers of around 50-60 and just one or two GM's worldbuilding.

qTLQRuS.png

It's not, Mather. And the classes have 2-3 paths that you can take with them n terms of skills.. It's not a limited DnD.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

If you're looking for a game with total freedom you're probably going to be disappointed.

Minecraft comes close, although in the past few months the changes and new updates have shifted the focus towards using limited machinery to build whatever you want to gathering a set of fairly limited items.

There's also dorf fortress but the bad UI just makes it unplayable. If you spend a bit of time downloading some of the tile mods and balancing mods it can be really fun but the learning curve doesn't justify how fun it actually is (which is a little better than average, but there are more fun games with better UI)

It's annoying because people have celebrated the poor UI because it makes them feel clever when they finally master it but it just means that the developers have just left it as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIJ2oOCiyI

Lords of Uberdark seems fantastic, I'm not a big fan of the art style but the gameplay seems great.

qTLQRuS.png