The Back Room

stevepole

He was banned again?

Also I think this is my first post here in almost a year. How's everyone doing?

I missed you, Nightman.

I think we're all pretty good... Archi left and the Tavern's mostly dead. But we have a Steam group now so we can stay in contact if we want to organize something or whatevs.

Merry Festivus.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Watching the Hobbit makes me miss DnD

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Steam group

That's not going to last long, just wait for the first argument that gets a bit nasty. Experience has shown it hasn't worked.

Watching the Hobbit makes me miss DnD

I thought it was fantastic.

A lot of people I have talked to have said that they thought it dragged on a bit or that they can't stretch the hobbit into three films but I personally think most films are too short.

Watchmen (3 hours) and Lawrence of Arabia (3.5 hours) are some of the best films ever, a lot of films really skimp on the detail so that they can keep the runtime down. I think LOTR would have been better done in 1/6th's like the book, although like with the book the first sixth would have been a bit boring and that's probably why they cut most of the first sixth out of the book.

Also, pathfinder session today:

• People woke up in wagon
  • Took over wagon, interrogated wagon owner
  • Found out that they were arrested
  • Tried to sneak into a city
  • Wagon owner let off secret distress signal
  • Level 7 wizard comes in, attacks glass cannon party
  • They manage to defeat the wizard, one player is unconscious.
  • They loot an artefact from the wizard.
  • The party heads into the forest, stealthily find a resistance base.
  • Get captured by druid
  • Druid takes the ring.
  • Session ends on cliffhanger.

I'm going to expand on the ring next session and its powers, I'm worried that by choosing a ring as an artefact it's too reminiscent of LOTR. The ring isn't a dominate person ring but it does sort of give leadership powers over everybody rather than simply the wearers of lesser rings, it's more like the Ring of the Nibelung in that sense.

qTLQRuS.png

The Hobbit is a 300 page book. I have yet to see the film but I'm having a hard time believing that it couldn't be fit into one.

That's missing the whole point, of course it could fit into one film but it can have more detail and be more exciting if it were three.

It's also very silly to pretend that the detail in a book is measured by the number of pages.

qTLQRuS.png

Yeah, the Hobbit (the book) doesn't quite go into as much detail as LOTR, and it actually goes over tons of events.

Also remember that they had to cut lots out of LOTR just to fit it into three films.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Yeah, the Hobbit (the book) doesn't quite go into as much detail as LOTR, and it actually goes over tons of events.

Also remember that they had to cut lots out of LOTR just to fit it into three films.

They're supplementing knowledge from LOTR and The Silmarillion. In terms of detail, one sentence is enough to do a two minute panoramic shot so the length of a book doesn't really make any bearing. In high fantasy like the hobbit, more things need to be shown. In low fantasy like Harry Potter - they can just skip over the locations in London.

qTLQRuS.png

Yeah, but you must also keep in mind that books sometimes use half a page to describe what you can see in a second. Just look at A Game of Thrones; a book with around a thousand pages fit into... what was it? 10? 12? ...episodes.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yeah, but you must also keep in mind that books sometimes use half a page to describe what you can see in a second. Just look at A Game of Thrones; a book with around a thousand pages fit into... what was it? 10? 12? ...episodes.

Each episode is an hour long though. LotR is a thousand pages (not including the appendix and all the information at the back which probably makes it about 1300 pages) and only took 9 hours.

I think Game of Thrones is a special exception, although it's very long it's got a lot of heavy description - Martin describes a fairly inane meal for about fifty pages whereas LotR doesn't do things like that as much.

Also, bloody hell Mather. A month on Anime! That's 730 hours of solid watching, I don't think I've ever spent so much time on anything.

qTLQRuS.png

Not just one month, there's just a pair of weeks left until it's two. And that's not the most disturbing thing, what's disturbing is that I only started watching 4 months and 24 days ago.

Also life's really trying to crap me out now. My room's been redecorated in a way that makes it feel like a small cage, all of the gifts I received for Christmas were impersonal and now my precious headset crapped out from the wire tiring out.

Not looking forward to spending Christmas money already, but it's either that or having my parents listen to me watching anime, because there's no damn way I'm spending even half an hour in my room the way it feels now.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Just to gauge interest: Would anyone be interested in playing a sort of roleplay-adventure-game-type-thing of the sort that Nex suggested a few pages ago?

The premise will be simple. You're in prison. Get out and it will go from there. I'll hopefully have something more substantial if/when this thing gets off the ground.

Also, Merry Christmas. Should probably have said that first.

Tempest works for me now. Retech get on it.

Alg, how will it work?

Dice-rolling system, Partially-Dice (Dungeoneering, Space), pure roleplay or something like hegemony which doesn't rely on chance.

It would be a nice idea to have something like hegemony without any dice rolls, it's better for tactics. Tactical thinking is fun :)

qTLQRuS.png

I would love to try it, mate.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Idea:

We run a rotating GM pathfinder game, we all know the system - I've ran one campaign so far and so have others. I don't really care about setting or specifics however I think level 5 would be an ideal starting level.

Definitely an evil campaign though.

qTLQRuS.png

A rotating GM run would be difficult seeing as many of the people who would know how to do it would have to run it on different days than one specific one. It may come down to a rotating GM run with only two GMs...Or just a 1 GM game.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Would be cool, but after the last game I basically ran through my storeroom of modestly interesting story hooks and background that were probably in some way cribbed off of some other setting from distant lore.

A rotating GM run would be difficult seeing as many of the people who would know how to do it would have to run it on different days than one specific one. It may come down to a rotating GM run with only two GMs...Or just a 1 GM game.

We don't normally have a problem with people playing games on a certain day, if they can play the game then they can GM on that day. If they can't make it then somebody else takes the post for them.

Would be cool, but after the last game I basically ran through my storeroom of modestly interesting story hooks and background that were probably in some way cribbed off of some other setting from distant lore.

100 314 adventure ideas:

http://www.dandwiki....eas_(DnD_Other)

I would say about 50% 30% are unplayable and only 20% are actually very good but considering that one adventure hook can take two sessions we probably won't run out in a very long time.

Personally, I don't think worldbuilding will be a problem - every GM collaborating makes the work required only a fraction so possibly it will result in a richer world than one person would be capable of. We're not restricted to Golarion content and the internet has massive repositories of 3.5 and other homebrew content that's all really interesting.

qTLQRuS.png

Guess so. But, will you still do the game you were planning, Alg?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]