Regarding "RuneScape Status"...

Hello, Tip.It Admins... I've got another Post-Forum-Upgrade Request for you. :huh:

I would like to ask you to please add a "<Do Not Display>" (perhaps in the form of a "blank") option to the "RuneScape Status" selector in the "Change Profile Information" area. While I may be "Retired" from RuneScape, I don't want to always have to be showing this on my profile. (Plus, I don't totally fit many people's definitions of "Retired"...) Choosing "None" at the moment is worse in some ways (such as leaving questions why "None" is selected, and displaying "None" actively to other users) for people like me. Being able to make it disappear completely (like with how you can remove RSN/Clan and have it disappear) would be very suitable. Plus, doing this would have the bonus of satisfying some people's privacy concerns about this option, making them feel free to use it without worry. BTW, had I realized back when it was first introduced that I wouldn't be able to shut it back off, I might not have used it before launching a suggestion like this one. :thumbsup:

Being as I don't know if that change could safely be made right now, can it please be added after the forum upgrade? :?:

~Mr. D. V. "Currently wishing I could turn it back off for the timebeing..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

This is relevant: http://forum.tip.it/topic/258387-tipit-forum-status

I think it's actually not possible (will have to wait for an admin to confirm) but it would be a nice fix to have if it is possible to change. RSN/Clan are different I assume because they have text fields which don't display when empty whereas status is a drop down box which functions differently.

(Plus, I don't totally fit many people's definitions of "Retired"...) Choosing "None" at the moment is worse in some ways (such as leaving questions why "None" is selected, and displaying "None" actively to other users) for people like me.

I don't really think people are going to get too caught up in your answer :P I can't imagine people looking at your profile and desperately wondering why you have "None" selected. There also aren't any privacy concerns with listing your RuneScape status (or choosing "none"), especially if your RSN is omitted, as Kimberly said.

As best I can tell, there is no built-in option to have this feature hidden. The reason that RSNs and Clan fields are hidden is because they are text input fields. So if nothing is input, nothing shows up. But the RuneScape status is a dropdown menu, which means there's always *something* there.

So from what I can gather, just from looking at the ACP, this change would require some custom fiddling in the back-end.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Choosing "None" at the moment is worse in some ways (such as leaving questions why "None" is selected, and displaying "None" actively to other users) for people like me.

Just tell them it's none of their business if it's that sensitive to you.

This can easily be done. Since IPB will ignore fields that are empty, Admins just need to add an option to the pulldown menu with a null value.

[spoiler=Obsolete | see post below by MageUK]

They could just change the value of "n" for none to "" for none, and from then on people who choose the "none" option won't have a RuneScape Status portion in their profile or miniprofile at all.

Here is a greasemonkey script that uses jQuery to add a "Remove" option to the pulldown menu.

// ==UserScript==
// @name           Runescape Status Remover
// @namespace      rs_status_remover
// @description    This script will add a "Remove" option to the pulldown menu of RuneScape statuses on the tip.it forum user's edit profile page
// @include        http://forum.tip.it/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members*
// @require        http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

// Initialize our jQuery once the page is ready
$(document).ready(function()
{
       // Add the "Remove" option to the RuneScape Status pulldown menu
$('#field_13').append('<option value="">Remove</option>');

});

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Credit to dsavi for the idea.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/258387-tipit-forum-status/page__view__findpost__p__4118149

Added a "Hide" option to the drop down.

<*Looks at their side-profile...*> :blink:

Uh, Peter, why does it now say "Status: Hide" when trying to pick that, both over there on the side and on the main profile page??? :wacko:

This one gets the feeling that this new hiding option will be completed post-upgrade? :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "This one's feeling insanely confused..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Added a "Hide" option to the drop down.

<*Looks at their side-profile...*> :blink:

Uh, Peter, why does it now say "Status: Hide" when trying to pick that, both over there on the side and on the main profile page??? :wacko:

This one gets the feeling that this new hiding option will be completed post-upgrade? :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "This one's feeling insanely confused..." Devnull

Alright, guess we go back to the prior solution? Greasemonkey FTW! (really wish MageUK's change would have fixed things, DARN IPB!)

// ==UserScript==
// @name           Runescape Status Remover
// @namespace      rs_status_remover
// @description    This script will add a "Remove" option to the pulldown menu of RuneScape statuses on the tip.it forum user's edit profile page
// @include        http://forum.tip.it/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members*
// @require        http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

// Initialize our jQuery once the page is ready
$(document).ready(function()
{
       // Add the "Remove" option to the RuneScape Status pulldown menu
$('#field_13').append('<option value="aValueNotInDropDownMenuWillRemoveStatusFromProfile">Remove</option>');

});