Frame rate issues anyone?

Dire_Wolf

I have this sometimes, especially in heavily populated areas. Mine is always at around 4-10. I suppose it's an ongoing mission of Jagex to fix it. Just takes time. :P

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Dire_Wolf, this one's been having this issue since Jagex released RuneTek 4... Jagex's Developers don't seem to give a dang about their unfortunate players who don't have the cash to buy a new system with a config matching one of theirs. Since the Dominion Tower's release, this one has also been having to deal with being trapped down at ~4 fps, and the anger that comes with being unable to do much of anything. This one can't even go play GOP anymore, and that's rather intolerable. Seriously, Jagex either needs to recode to match their listed System Requirements, or update the page to reflect what stupidity they have done with their ugly piece-of-[junk] game. Until then, here's a list of what this one thinks are their Current System Hardware Requirements for RuneScape...

Quad Core @ 3.5 GHz/core minimum

8 GB System RAM (@ 2 GB/core)

ATI/AMD Radeon X1###-series (or comparable NVidia GeForce 8###-series) or Higher

512 MB Video RAM

DirectX and/or OpenGL support, 4x AA enabled, also capable of handling Jagex's inability to use fallbacks

1024x768 @ 32 bit Screen Resolution minimum, 1280x800 @ 32 bit recommended

Multi-Channel Audio, with a driver capable of not choking on even Linux from Jagex's [junk] code

...and keep in mind, these are only this one's opinion from how badly it drags on their system. Good luck finding the $$$ IRL to even think of building a monster that's this powerful. Right now, this one feels sadness for everyone hurting from Jagex's inability to program properly. :ugeek:

~Mr. D. V. "Feeling insane enough to talk in 3rd person..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Jagex's Developers don't seem to give a dang about their unfortunate players who don't have the cash to buy a new system with a config matching one of theirs.

There's no need to insult Jagex. They've already stated multiple times that they're aware of the frame rate issues and it's one of their #1 priorities. They're working hard to fix it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Jagex's Developers don't seem to give a dang about their unfortunate players who don't have the cash to buy a new system with a config matching one of theirs.

There's no need to insult Jagex. They've already stated multiple times that they're aware of the frame rate issues and it's one of their #1 priorities. They're working hard to fix it.

I wonder how D_V is wrong about Jagex not caring about the inconvenience frame rate issues is for players? Refund us with extra member days? No, they won't do that.

Instead they will say "We are sorry".

That's not good enough to be honest. Sorry should be followed by action showing they are really sorry.

It's really not cool to play RS with this bad frame rate.

I wonder how D_V is wrong about Jagex not caring about the inconvenience frame rate issues is for players? Refund us with extra member days? No, they won't do that.

That's not good enough to be honest. Sorry should be followed by action showing they are really sorry.

It's really not cool to play RS with this bad frame rate.

Not everyone is experiencing frame rate issues. If they gave EVERYONE extra member days they'd losing a lot of money for no reason since they'd be giving it to people who didn't need it.. and Jagex is a business. If you want to keep playing RuneScape, the company has to survive. If the company is going to survive, it needs to make money.

Jagex is working on the issue. Asking for free membership days because the game is a little laggier seems pretty greedy. If it's really that bad for you, you can always unsubscribe until they fix it. But Jagex is fixing it and I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Not everyone is experiencing frame rate issues. If they gave EVERYONE extra member days they'd losing a lot of money for no reason since they'd be giving it to people who didn't need it.. and Jagex is a business. If you want to keep playing RuneScape, the company has to survive. If the company is going to survive, it needs to make money.

Jagex is working on the issue. Asking for free membership days because the game is a little laggier seems pretty greedy. If it's really that bad for you, you can always unsubscribe until they fix it. But Jagex is fixing it and I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

Whether it's greedy or not is your opinion. And the month i became member for is a temporary thing, i have no intentions of staying member. I won't be around to experience them fixing it, pity i have to experience the problem.

I don't see how 3 membership days would make Jagex loose alot of money.

Whether it's greedy or not is your opinion. And the month i became member for is a temporary thing, i have no intentions of staying member. I won't be around to experience them fixing it, pity i have to experience the problem.

Membership price per month: $7.95 USD

Membership price per day: $0.265 USD (using 30 days per month)

Three days of membership: $0.265 * 3 = $0.795 USD

Amount of paying members: 770,992 (source - shows amount of people on the high scores, only P2P appear on the high scores)

Three free days of membership for 770,992 people = $0.795 * 770,992 = $612,938.64 USD

That's willingly giving up $612,938.64 USD. That's not a small amount of money.

(Obviously the price might be a bit less since not everyone is paying the updated price of $7.95 USD, but it gives you an idea)

Posted Image

Amount of paying members: 770,992 (source - shows amount of people on the high scores, only P2P appear on the high scores)

Three free days of membership for 770,992 people = $0.795 * 770,992 = $612,938.64 USD

(Obviously the price might be a bit less since not everyone is paying the updated price of $7.95 USD, but it gives you an idea)

612K USD is not small amount, but i wonder much Jagex profits, because then we can see if the game will survive -612K or not.

612K USD is not small amount, but i wonder much Jagex profits, because then we can see if the game will survive -612K or not.

Their profits went way down last year because of all their new project investments (Stellar Dawn, Transformers Universe, etc.).

Operating profit: 10,658 (2011) 18,794 (2010); -43% change

That's probably why all their advertising and "join members" schemes have gone way up. They still pulled a profit, but significantly less than previous years. I doubt they feel like giving away hundreds of thousands of dollars and quite frankly.. can you blame them?

Posted Image

@tripsis,

Many players, myself included, have not been able to get above 6fps for weeks, some even months now. However, because I have prepaid for months in advance (not anticipating such a long-standing problem) I have to watch my credit decline while all I can do ingame is bank-stand. I cannot even reach all five of my herb patches before my juju runs out anymore.

Obviously refunding membership to everyone is not an option, but there are other solutions for players experiencing these issues. For example, allowing membership to be 'paused' to save remaining days without unsubscribing (and paying a higher price to resubscribe). I'm sure others in the community have many other (probably better) solutions.

Frustration as new updates roll out is understandable, perhaps even justified. They will provide content we will not be able to play (such as fight kiln), and content which will probably lower our fps even further (such as the upcoming graphics updates). While you look forward to them, we are dreading them as the game will become even more unplayable for us.

I believe I have been more than patient, but it really has been going on for too long now.

Refund us with extra member days? No, they won't do that.

They've done small credits for bad bouts of lag/fps issues that were the fault of Jagex before.

I have to watch my credit decline while all I can do ingame is bank-stand. I cannot even reach all five of my herb patches before my juju runs out anymore.

We had a moderator (Ellac) with the same problem you had. He increased the RAM allotted for java, and it solved his problem.

[qfc]25-26-678-63346658[/qfc]

Expanding available memory for Windows client

Go to C:\Users\[your user]\jagexcache\jagexlauncher\runescape and edit the runescape.prm file; see "*mx128m"? Replace the "128m" with your desired size. For example I just edited it to be 1024m (1gb; "1g" might work, I'm not sure).

That path is for Windows 7; for XP, I'm not sure where it would be, but if you go to the Properties of your RuneScape[Caution: Executable File] shortcut, you can find the jagexlauncher path.

Note that when you enable displayfps, the maximum memory might be less than the amount you typed. Java will automatically increase it as necessary, up to the amount you specified.

Have you tried this at all yet? It seems to be a good solution for a lot of people in addition to being extremely overlooked.

hzvjpwS.gif

That's probably why all their advertising and "join members" schemes have gone way up. They still pulled a profit, but significantly less than previous years. I doubt they feel like giving away hundreds of thousands of dollars and quite frankly.. can you blame them?

It's their problem, not mine. And if they want Runescape to survive they should have followed their own line "Runescape will be our main focus". Obviously they haven't followed that, just like how they said "F2P is not a demo for P2P".

Because if Runescape was a main focus - the question about Runescape surviving wouldn't be brought up.

But with Stellar Dawn and Tranformers game...

And if you ask me Jagex is pretty greedy. A player who plays 2 hours a day of Runescape plays around 60 hours in a month, that's less than 3 days. And your paying for 30 days.

If you play 5+ hours of Runescape you will get "most out" of Runescape.

But by doing it will impact your real life.

If you play less than 2 hours or not at all some days, you loose credit. Bu these things are unavoidable.

And you may say "They need money to survive", but I'd say they should think twice before releasing updates that turn out to be CRAP.

Yes, your getting 30 days membership, but looking at it from a real perspective most people get like 10 days because they can't just neglect real life, and that's those who play 5 hours a day.

It's their problem, not mine. And if they want Runescape to survive they should have followed their own line "Runescape will be our main focus". Obviously they haven't followed that, just like how they said "F2P is not a demo for P2P".

Because if Runescape was a main focus - the question about Runescape surviving wouldn't be brought up.

But with Stellar Dawn and Tranformers game...

And if you ask me Jagex is pretty greedy. A player who plays 2 hours a day of Runescape plays around 60 hours in a month, that's less than 3 days. And your paying for 30 days.

If you play 5+ hours of Runescape you will get "most out" of Runescape.

But by doing it will impact your real life.

If you play less than 2 hours or not at all some days, you loose credit. Bu these things are unavoidable.

And you may say "They need money to survive", but I'd say they should think twice before releasing updates that turn out to be CRAP.

Yes, your getting 30 days membership, but looking at it from a real perspective most people get like 10 days because they can't just neglect real life, and that's those who play 5 hours a day.

You're the one who brought up RuneScape surviving and I'm not really sure where that came from. I don't see RuneScape in any danger of not surviving?

RuneScape is their main focus but that doesn't mean they can't invest in other games. They are a game company now - not a RuneScape company. RuneScape is their main focus and most of their employees work on that game. They just have other things on the side now.

Jagex isn't greedy because they're charging people for 30 days of membership.. That's standard in the gaming industry. It's not feasible for them to do a "by the hour" charge or "pay as you play." And in fact, of all the non-free MMOs, RuneScape is one of the absolute cheapest. And of all the MMOs period, most of them don't have a free option at all (this is slowly starting to change though). Sure, F2P kind of sucks now, but the fact is it exists.

You should probably look at more statistics and the overall gaming industry before jumping to claims.

Posted Image

<<<Hyper-Snip>>>

Have you tried this at all yet? It seems to be a good solution for a lot of people in addition to being extremely overlooked.

Kimberly, not everyone uses (or can use) the RS client, and for many the RS client would be a severe framerate loss due to inability to stop certain things. You can note this one being amongst those who would be even worse hit by trying to use the client, so it isn't an option anyway. :shame:

As for adjusting parameters, it doesn't work if you're using a browser like FireFox/Chrome/Opera/Safari/IE... Due to how Oracle/Sun has coded Java, and how the browser makers have coded their browsers, all parameters that are set by website developers override the user-set parameters at the moment when the Java applet starts up. Therefore, any user even trying to set some things like...

-Xmx384m

(RAM Increase, obvious...)

-Djavaplugin.maxHeapSize=384m

(Slightly deeper method of trying to force RAM Increase...)

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false

(Necessary for those who need 2D DirectDraw Acceleration!)

...end up flat failing, because the developer parameters, such as what Jagex is found to be using...

-Xmx256m

(Not enough on some systems...)

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

(Disables 2D Directdraw... Extremely damaging to users who need this enabled!)

...get listened to instead of the necessary user-set parameters. Put simply, businesses have decided they always know better than the user, and that's just not true. Many users (such as this one) know their systems better than the businesses, and can always better optimize their systems in ways a business can't understand. Getting overridden like this causes a great many problems to those knowledgeable users, including slowdowns and system instabilities as their system thrashes from the strain of not having what it needs set. Some don't even have 256 MB of RAM ("-Xmx256m", again) to allocate to Java, and that setting crashes those users outright. Not tolerable, in this one's opinion. <_<

So if you're wondering why many of us are ticked off at Jagex, you can stack this post on the heap of reasons why. They will have to fix this issue themselves, due to what has happened, because the user is blocked from doing any kind of workable repairs/changes. One ultimate truth put very simple... "You don't override the user, and you let them configure their system how they need it to be set up!" ...because ignoring this truth is exactly what causes these kinds of awful problems. :angry:

~D. V. "Many of these issues could have been stopgapped if users weren't being overridden!" Devnull

(p.s.: If you don't believe this one, go try and set 512MB of RAM or such in your Java Control Panel. You'll find it NEVER works where a developer has gone and been stupid enough to write their own parameters.)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Jagex isn't greedy because they're charging people for 30 days of membership.. That's standard in the gaming industry. It's not feasible for them to do a "by the hour" charge or "pay as you play." And in fact, of all the non-free MMOs, RuneScape is one of the absolute cheapest. And of all the MMOs period, most of them don't have a free option at all (this is slowly starting to change though). Sure, F2P kind of sucks now, but the fact is it exists.

You should probably look at more statistics and the overall gaming industry before jumping to claims.

I disagree, just because it's standard does not make them not greedy.

And Runescape membership has went up for second time. Guild Wars 2 will require only CD and no monthy fee. So Runescape isn't going to be cheapest mmo for long.

From what i recall when paying membership i noticed it cost like 27 dollars with credit card.

I guess it's cheaper in US/UK.

I disagree, just because it's standard does not make them not greedy.

And Runescape membership has went up for second time. Guild Wars 2 will require only CD and no monthy fee. So Runescape isn't going to be cheapest mmo for long.

From what i recall when paying membership i noticed it cost like 27 dollars with credit card.

I guess it's cheaper in US/UK.

How is paying per month greedy? It's already a very, very cheap game. Honestly, complaining that you can't get something practically for free (or much, much cheaper) is kind of greedy. Jagex is a company and they need money if they're going to keep running RuneScape. You might as well just ask for the entire game to be free.. except then Jagex would have to shut down as a company.

Let's look at the top MMOs:

• World of Warcraft: £10 GBP (~$16 USD) to buy the game (plus you have to buy later expansions) + £9 (~$14 USD) monthly fee.
  • Rift: £20 (~$32 USD) to buy the game + £9 (~$14 USD) monthly fee.
  • Eve Online: £17.75 (~$28 USD) to buy the game + £9 ($14.95 USD) monthly fee.
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic: £38 ($59.99 USD) to buy the game + £9 ($15 USD) monthly fee.

I could go on.

My point is that RuneScape has no initial game cost and then you just pay £4.95 ($7.95 USD) per month. We get a good deal compared to most other top MMOs out there. The monthly fee is almost half of other games (before the price increase, it was less than half I think). Even if it's not the cheapest, it is DEFINITELY on the lower end of the scale. Furthermore, we get much more frequent updates than other games. Most other games usually get one big update every 1-3 months. RuneScape usually gets weekly updates.

In any case, we're starting to get off-topic so I'll drop this conversation. But you should seriously take some time to look at the big picture and the fact that Jagex is a company. It HAS to make money if it wants to continue to exist and function. Period. If they're not making money, they're not going to keep existing. Just like if you're working a job and you're not getting paid, why would you keep working at that job?

Posted Image

@Kimberly,

I have tried every suggested fix on the RSOF, tried with a variety of browsers, different Internet connections, adjusted every setting recommended. There is nothing I have not tried, that suggestion among them. I know others who have done the same. My RAM for both the RS client and java has already been tried at 1/4, 1/2 and 1gb.

FPS issues are not the fault of any player, it is a game engine problem that needs to be fixed.

• 5 weeks later...

I have frame rate issues that's pretty bad when moving around to much.

Anyone else have this or has Jagex "fixed" it?

I have had serious fps issues ever since the Burthorpe/Taverly update. It has not gotten better despite Jagex's assurances that they are working on it. I cannot get better than 11fps no matter where I am in RS. I have done everything that their tech forum suggests and it has not worked. My machine is only 1 yr old, I don't believe the problem rests with my machine at all, but many believe that Jagex is telling people that the low fps is not their fault but the fault of teh players machine. I wish they would update their servers as well as the game for I believe that this is the true cause of the low fps, all my other games run just fine on my machine with no fps problems at all.

"Oh I love God, he's so deliciously evil!" ~Stewie, Family Guy

"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am" ~Captain Blackbeard

"If it ain't fun, yer doin' it wrong" ~Pirates vs Ninjas Clan Motto

It's an issue with certain system configurations.

I run RS just fine on a laptop with great FPS.

I agree. My laptop is a year and a half old and I run RS without too much of a problem. It might be a connection issue.

Bionic Yoshi.png

99 cooking: 10/24/10

If that many players are having bad FPS issues, I'd say it's time for them to [bleep]ing pay up lol.

They don't do refunds on recalls at stores because of defective or dangerous products, do they? DO THEY?

Yes, they do.

553VriC.png?1

And you want to know why? It helps keep that small fraction of customers that'd leave. Even if it seems like a lot, think about how much more they'd make if people thought "Wow, they actually do care." and didn't leave.

553VriC.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

I have set Java to 1GB of memory, I think, and on displayfps it never exceeds 150MB. My FPS rate could be higher, and there is often lag.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.