Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Once-in-a-while art dump.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I dusted off my long forgotten tablet on 12/04/2012 and flexed the creative muscles today. Boy was I rusty!

This will be my personal art dump and the aim is to create at least one drawing per day.

I will treat this as my posting space because I didn't want to clutter up my blog space.

I don't expect many replies but whichever of you creative individuals look here, feel free to recommend brilliant tutorials that can help me. Currently I use Photoshop and the 1 pixel black brush. I do this with my trusty Bamboo Fun tablet. Whilst it's not the greatest, it suits my amateur needs.

They will go from bad to okay :P :

12th April 2012

13th April 2012

14th April 2012

15th April 2012

16th April 2012

17th April 2012

6th June 2012

7th June 2012

8th June 2012

12th June 2012

15th June 2012

25th June 2012

3rd July

10th July

11th July

12th July

13th July

17th July

21st July

25th July

6th January 2013

10th January

Posted Image
☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Iglw
[ Display Name History ]

Iglw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Iglw
  • Clan:The Order of Cabbage
I've tried to do something similar in the past, but I've failed to get motivated each time and rarely get past the first day. :D
I'll be keeping an eye on this topic. Look forward to seeing more. :thumbup:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Kirschen
[ Display Name History ]

Kirschen

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Kirschen
The main key is usually practice, patience, and focus. I usually make a faint "skeleton" of lines and dots (joints) to make sure the anatomy is correct when I do a piece. It's been a year since I did that, and my pieces involving people (and creatures) improved dramatically with accuracy.

I like where you're going so far. Keep it up. :thumbup:

Iglw
[ Display Name History ]

Iglw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 614 posts
Friendly reminder to save often. =)
Decided to try drawing daily like you again and just lost and hour or so of work. ;_;

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Lokie: I've not really done the skeleton before drawing people. I kind of wing it and see where the pencil takes me but that never usually ends up well and I have to correct drawings with visual aid. I will probably try it tomorrow because I want to improve fast.

@Iglw: The motivation is hard, especially if you like to take your time drawing like I do. And LOL, I'll keep that reminder in mind whenever I open up Photoshop. I know the pain of losing your hard work :(

13/04/2012

Original:
Posted Image

Darker Lines:
Posted Image

So after messing on MS Paint for the 'Largest Contributer Wins' thread, I drew a head shot of a male that heavily resembles my Papa (Grandfather). I watched a video clip of my cousin's wedding that took place in India today and my Papa was on my mind. Whilst he wears a turban, two gold earrings and has one discoloured eye, this sketch does not really look like him lol. Maybe if I finish of his unshaven face and drew in his lack of teeth then it would resemble him a bit more but I kind of drew this guy a lot more 'fatter' than my grandfather really is.

It was a sketch that turned out nicely, shame I don't have the time to finish it today! I save all my Photoshop files so I will one day return to this. (And the crappy Bandos one).

Posted Image

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,473 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
Well, at least you are trying. That Papa sketch looks good. Really like a human, to say the least. Only needs some lips... Otherwise proportionally it looks fine.
Posted Image

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
Yeah, getting better at drawing includes a whole lot of effort and by creating this topic I have an obligation to try and post and draw each day.

The nose and lips are the hardest part to draw, I'll struggle to get it right. But thanks, I am pleased the proportions looked fine.

14/04/2012

Unfortunately today I had a busy schedule and when I finally had time to sit and draw, the tablet wouldn't work! So today I present to you something I drew a few years back:

Posted Image

An incomplete sketch of a woman in a kimono. I had to create these paper dolls for my Art class and I scanned one in and started to make it into a character. For some reason I did not finish it, I probably got side tracked... I can see a problem with the shoulder/chest part but it's not very noticable. Her legs are crossed at the bottom, as if she is taking a step. I actually have the base image of her feet so you can see what I was going to do:

Posted Image

Whilst I haven't actually drawn her naked, I probably can't post her whole base image because it still looks a little revealing.

Posted Image

Iglw
[ Display Name History ]

Iglw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 614 posts
Hope your tablet's in working order again! Awesome detail on that kimono.

enfield
[ Display Name History ]

enfield

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • RSN:realitybugll
okay i think you must jump in it . draw those noses and lips. I want to see them, no matter how loopy or whatever! i get so frustrated when people say they can't do it - i had one girl at my school literally do a project of drawing (incredibly well) everyone's bodies - but without faces :shame:! of course if was painfully disguised as being artistic, but the plain fact was they weren't there because she was afraid to draw them.

i look forward to following this blog as long as you keep posting drawings :).

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
@Iglw: Thanks :) Tablet is still a little dodgy but it worked long enough to create something. There's issues with the sensitivity sometimes so I have to pause a lot.

@enfield: Oh don't worry, I'll definitely be trying. It's hard to look at your failures though and people normally try to ignore those aspects. However, I'll try to overcome that and bare all the ugly things. Expect to see badly drawn things in this thread! Feet, noses, mouths and head shapes usually.

15/04/2012

Only had about I worked for 30 minutes to work on this sketch:

Posted Image

It is a gentleman sipping on some tea as he sits in his invisible chair. There's nothing significant in the concept. I was trying out sketching from a stick man base:

Posted Image

That looked fine proportionally at the time. Little did I know, as soon as I added in the muscle it would go a bit pear shaped:

Posted Image

Feet are hard! I remember I struggled so much with them in the past. Here's an idea of how much the image changes I progress from stick man to muscle to actual person stage:

Posted Image

I understand where I went wrong here. The perspective is off on the legs. We're looking straight ahead at the body whilst we're also looking down on the legs. We should be looking straight ahead at the legs, i.e. the right crossed knee must be higher. I'll have to redo the whole of that. I think the right arm needs to be brought in a bit more too. I think tomorrow I will correct this instead of creating something new. Also, look at that sterling tophat! That was my first ever try too.

Posted Image

Iglw
[ Display Name History ]

Iglw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 614 posts
Don't know if you've come across them already, but I'm gonna drop a link to Cedarseed's tutorials which you may find helpful. :thumbup:

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
You are a godsend! I think that was just the guide I needed, it put a new perspective into my drawing technique. I usually wing it in terms of muscles lol but now I gotta take the time to consider them to make a good sketch. Thanks for posting that <3:

16/04/2012

Much thanks to Iglw for posting Cedarseed's tutorials. I followed it for this piece.

First, my stick figure man in his ultimate fighting pose:

Posted Image

There are some markings here and there, I was thinking about proportions and making sure everything measured up. On top of that came the muscles and flesh:

Posted Image

The arms aren't perfect but thanks to that guide, they're pretty damn better than what I did yesterday. As you can see on the man's right arm, I had to redo the position because it was a little unrealistic in its previous position. Next I added the Bandos armour:

Posted Image

I haven't the time to finish the weapons, hands, boots and face but I'm definitely going to work on this in the future. The right shoulder is a little weird I can see but overall I am pleased :) The piece without the visual aids:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
17/04/2012

Today I have just a small update but at least I did draw :P I revisited the gentlemen sat down with a tea in hand. I didn't get to finish it off and add the clothing:

Posted Image

As you can see, I redid the legs as I drew the body in because I thought they were too big but now they look a little small. They look like a pretzel. But really, that guide is coming in handy. I now know where to draw muscles and where not to and I think I will perfect it soon!

Before I [rooster] up with the hands, I want to dedicate a day to them and practice so expect some hands and feet tomorrow.

Posted Image

Iglw
[ Display Name History ]

Iglw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 614 posts
Great to see you are finding the tutorials useful. :)

I came across this site the other day, I haven't gone through that many of the vids but figured I'd link it as well:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/archive/

They're more on painting than drawing though.

Fell behind on my daily drawing yesterday; will need to do an extra one today to catch up. :P

Iglw
[ Display Name History ]

Iglw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 614 posts
I expect 5+ pages brimming with hands and feet when you get back btw. >:] ;)

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,473 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
There better be 5+ pages brimming with hands and feet or else...
Posted Image

Shiny
[ Display Name History ]

Shiny

Combo Breaker

• Members
  • 4,935 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Hellsrider7
Man, if this is going still I hope to see more. Seriously promising stuff.
Posted Image

Kirschen
[ Display Name History ]

Kirschen

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  • RSN:Kirschen
Did Star get sidetracked? The art was really awesome. :^_^:

Fleetsy
[ Display Name History ]

Fleetsy

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • RSN:Fleetsy
  • Clan:Black Matrix
If you're having trouble with anatomy, try drawing from life any chance you get. Carry round a little book which you can just whip out at any time and get some sketches down of the people around you. You'll notice small improvements as you keep practising. :)

You've got some nice work here though, it'd be nice to see some colour stuff from you.

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
I had to take a break because work piled up but now it's out of the way so I now have the free time to get back at this. Don't know if I can promise a 5+ of hands and feet though :P

@Fleetsy: I have this perfect sized sketchbook which would be ideal for what you suggest. I probably won't do it as daily as I do these Photoshop ones but I'll give it a try.

And I'll touch colour once I feel comfortable enough with anatomy.

06/06/2012

I decided to try a cartoon style today however it went horribly wrong. I present to thee, a vertically stunted man:

Posted Image

I should not have tried to go for the realist look unless I want to create midgets.

It's unfinished you say? I would have finished the sketch too and probably make more but this happened
Posted Image
And I gave up for the rest of the day because I did not save it.

Note: Don't expect anime-esque sketches in here. Trying not to do that.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users